Default Magic Is Awesome

I've heard a lot about how "overpowered" casters are lately, but I've always been content with my melees, until recently, when I rolled up a sorcerer. She's a cold savant, currently level 12, and seems to be able to one-shot every creature she's encountered so far with a lovely 2sp Niac's Cold Ray. I have her running Vale right now just for laughs, and the red-names sometimes take two or three shots to kill - even more if they make their saves (which seems to happen about 5% of the time, haha). Well, except that darn portal - nothing she has can hurt that =( I can only imagine how much more powerful she'd be if she was Warforged, and could drop quickened repair spells instead of having to UMD cure wands and heal scrolls. In summary - there's no way any melee I built could get through most content with the ease of my relatively ungeared sorcerer, and she even seems to blow through things quicker than my epic/raid-geared level 20. Can't wait to get her to that point to see how crazy things are then.

Community Member

You do realize that easy solo was always the case before. Even when scaling was not in place. It's just cheaper now.

Try Ice storm on portal. Your niacs would fail a lot more as a WF. Oh, btw, no mod ever in the game has ever done anything to improve the success rate of niacs, including any PRE or recent mod. Your success with it is obviously due to a very well spec'd DC.

You should actually have titled this... Green steel at low level is awesome.
    Last edited by tinyelvis; 09-27-2011 at 11:09 PM.

Magic is and always will be awesome. Magic is life and casters are supreme! Leave the silly axes and swords to the smelly Barbarians. I hear they don't bathe.
    Orien Player: Semirasai, ~3~ L28 Drow Wizard :: Kaethe, ~5~ L13 Halfling Barb/Bard/Rog :: Esthera, ~2~ L26 Human Favored Soul
    Sophiae, L20 Drow Bard :: Kitarina, L20 Half-Orc Fighter :: Aadia, L20 Half-Elf Sorcerer :: Olesia, ~2~ L15 Sun Elf Cleric/Monk

Quote Originally Posted by tinyelvis View Post
    You do realize that easy solo was always the case before. Even when scaling was not in place. It's just cheaper now.

Try Ice storm on portal. Your niacs would fail a lot more as a WF. Oh, btw, no mod ever in the game has ever done anything to improve the success rate of niacs, including any PRE or recent mod. Your success with it is obviously due to a very well spec'd DC.

You should actually have titled this... Green steel at low level is awesome.
    Not using Green Steel, it's a first-level character with very little in the way of twink gear - +2 tomes, the chrono set, sora kell, and Minos - hardly T3 green steel items. Being able to cast a fully metamagic'd Niac's for 2sp and an AOE that does almost as much damage for 5sp is really useful, although as I said, I haven't played as a caster in the past so I don't have much for a point of reference.

I'll try picking up Ice Storm and giving it a try, although that'll mean giving up Enervation..

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by xveganrox View Post
    Not using Green Steel, it's a first-level character with very little in the way of twink gear - +2 tomes, the chrono set, sora kell, and Minos - hardly T3 green steel items. Being able to cast a fully metamagic'd Niac's for 2sp and an AOE that does almost as much damage for 5sp is really useful, although as I said, I haven't played as a caster in the past so I don't have much for a point of reference.

I'll try picking up Ice Storm and giving it a try, although that'll mean giving up Enervation..
    As cool as the PREs are, they unfortunately have nothing to do with landing the niacs spell. The only difference now is essentially cost and damage. If sora Kell is your cold buff, you are underperforming by quite a bit. Ironically, the damage you put out will be closer to Pre savant days damage.

Try using a superior freeze clicky and watch your damage really climb. Niac is great but you are really getting lucky to land it 19/20 without putting an effort into buffing the DC.

In early levels? Hell yeah, you nuke everything you see (It's hilarious especialy in Undermine when you one shot a bunch of kobolds, ****es those melee guys all the time).
    Once you reach to Amrath you start noticing a drastic drop in effectiveness, but you're still awesome.
    Once you reach epics, personaly I felt as good as melee and sometimes worse.
    That's just me though, maybe I didn't play right.