Question Sorcerer Capstone Question

Hello fair folk of the forums. Recently I was "informed" by a player that the sorc capstone does not apply the 20% bonus, but rather only applies an 8% bonus. I'm sure there has been a thread about this in the past, but I would like to ask if anyone has definitive proof that it stacks, and that it stacks at the full 20%. Also if someone has the formula for calculating spell damage, I would love to see it.

Any information on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Toastee McRoastybuns - Shinigamii - Theifing Slum - Bakabaka - Salsasnack - Tssst The Dog Whisperer
    MrBlonde - Omakase Omnomnom - Austrian Deathmachine - Consonar Crazy Ivan
    Ascent

Last I knew it only added 20% to the empower metamagic. I was looking for confirmation of this the other day though and I couldn't find it. Would be really interested in knowing this as well.
    I am a lost wandering soul

Quote Originally Posted by grodon9999
    Can the monkies who program this game get anything write?

All of your damage dealing spells that are capable of being empowered deal 20% more damage.
    The way I read it is, any spell that can be empowered (so recon isn't in the list), gets a 20% boost. I'm really curious how the formula is written as that can make a huge difference in perception.
    Toastee McRoastybuns - Shinigamii - Theifing Slum - Bakabaka - Salsasnack - Tssst The Dog Whisperer
    MrBlonde - Omakase Omnomnom - Austrian Deathmachine - Consonar Crazy Ivan
    Ascent

Yeah, easily tested by casting a polar ray with and without empower on a couple times and seeing how the averages compare.

(empower+capstone)*(maximize)*(enhancements)*(item ), iirc.
    Fear the Koala.
    Jial, Wyllywyl, and an ever-changing list of alts.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenostrata View Post
    Yeah, easily tested by casting a polar ray with and without empower on a couple times and seeing how the averages compare.

The way I read it, the spell does not have be empowered, it only needs to be capable of being empowered.
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Hermanius Brightblade, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

My understanding of it is that it does apply the 20% damage boost, but due to the way it stacks (multiplicativly with something, I think metamagics - rather than additive) the actual damage increase is closer to 8%. Very possible for me to be wrong though.

Community Member

If I had to guess, since the capstone is an enhancement, it may just add 20% on to your damage enhancements (same type and all that) which would make a maxed out line 70% instead of 50%.

Community Member bradleyforrest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xenostrata View Post

I'm pretty sure that it's (1+Empower+Maximize+Capstone)*(1+Enhancements+Item s)

So (1 + .5 + 1 + .2) * (1 + .5 + .5) = 2.7*2= 5.4x base damage when using Max, Emp, Cap, maxed enhancements, & Superior Potency

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by bradleyforrest View Post

So (1 + .5 + 1 + .2) * (1 + .5 + .5) = 2.7*2= 5.4x base damage when using Max, Emp, Cap, maxed enhancements, & Superior Potency
    This is what I remember reading. That would make the 8% figure understandable as well, since 2.7 (Max + Emp + Cap) is an 8% rise over 2.5 (Max + Emp without Cap).

Founder

so both statements appear to be correct, depending on how you look at it. it does provide a 20% increase to your base damage but very few sorcerers run just base damage for their main spells that can be empowered. so it can be a lot less overall increase to their current damage when the spell is maxed out with metamagics + items, etc.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dirichlet View Post
    This is what I remember reading. That would make the 8% figure understandable as well, since 2.7 (Max + Emp + Cap) is an 8% rise over 2.5 (Max + Emp without Cap).
    You are correct. It does not typically apply a 20% bonus as advertised. 8% is close to the typical right amount. A 20% only occurs if you only use the capstone as your sole buff. Text should read up to a 20% bonus.

Sounds like I'll be going 18/2 sorc/monk helf with pally dilly for my final build afterall then.
    I am a lost wandering soul

Quote Originally Posted by grodon9999
    Can the monkies who program this game get anything write?

Community Member bradleyforrest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MyHumps View Post
    Sounds like I'll be going 18/2 sorc/monk helf with pally dilly for my final build afterall then.
    Polar Ray average comparison (Assumes Cold Savant III, Maximize, Empower, maxed enhancements to damage, and Superior Freeze VIII)
    Sorc 20 w/ Capstone = (75+37)(1+1+.5+.2)(1+.5+.75)=680
    Sorc 18/Monk 2 = (69+34)(1+1+.5)(1+.5+.75)=579

So skipping those 2 levels of Sorc (and the capstone by default) costs you 101 damage on average per Polar Ray. That's about a 15% loss.

Just thought I'd throw some numbers at you for it.

And this doesn't even look at crits

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by bradleyforrest View Post

(1+Empower+Maximize+Capstone)*(1+Enhancements+Item s)*(weakness value)*(crit value)*(stun value)

so,
    for stunned fire elemental with ice sorc weakness curse cast on him, while having eardweller surge, all enhancements and major lore
    2.7*2.5*2.15*2.75*1.5=59.8640625
    Last edited by Yan_PL; 09-28-2011 at 11:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    Old Birthday Cakes of Wishes don't turn into new Six Year Old Cakes.