Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default (how to) Increase your hit points!

There are a lot of threads around now from varying perspectives about 'minimum hp' since the player hp/sp UI became visible, and with the increasing use of myddo.
    I'm not offering any thoughts on that, but generally speaking it's hard to argue with the notion that more HP = good.

So whether you're worried about your hit point score, an enthusiast looking to add more or if you're a seasoned player ready to offer advice, then this thread is the place to do it. Rather than re-invent the wheel I've compiled a few useful links. The idea here is to fire back any questions about items/enhancements/feats/builds etc and hopefully you'll get an answer.

Link 1 A general gear discussion with relation to HP, and importantly it lists a few quick wins.

Link 2 More of the same but with reference to rogues and gets more technical.

Link 3 The DDO wiki on HP. Simple and effective.

Read, digest, use. Post questions/concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by grayham View Post
    (how to) Increase your hit points!
    Eat lots of Spinach

Positive, result oriented approach to help players, +1.

Unfortunately, people that play 200hp cap toons don't come to the forums often...
    "This is the nature of things truly worth having: what is most valuable about them is hidden away and concealed, while what is visible on the surface appears beneath contempt." Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by Kawabonga View Post
    Unfortunately, people that play 200hp cap toons don't come to the forums often...
    This! +1

Quote Originally Posted by Emizand View Post
    Eat lots of Spinach
    Where do I buy a spinach port? Can't seem to find a way to get the spinach to my characters...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    You may now return to your WoW bashing.
    Fweebie
    "Crouching Tiger Hidden Nerfbat!"

+1
    "Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand"-Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Grenada View Post
    Where do I buy a spinach port? Can't seem to find a way to get the spinach to my characters...
    In DDO you have to settle for broccoli... try it in game: /lfb
    Goe ahed... korekt mah spelin'.

Here's a simple breakdown for those too lazy to read the links.

F2P Sources
    +20 Heroic Durability Feat: All characters get this for free at level 1.
    +40 Starting Con: 14 Starting Con is a pretty easy-to-achieve baseline minimum for every class. A 14 con is +2 hp per level.
    +60 Con Item: a +6 item is easy to slot. Adding an additional 6 con means an extra +3 hp per level.
    +20 Con Tome: a +2 tome is achievable by anyone. Adding an additional 2 con means +1 extra hp per level.
    +30 Greater False Life Item: Also easy to slot
    +22 Toughness Feat: Pretty easy to fit in somewhere in your build. It gives you +2 con, plus an additional +1 con per level.
    +20 Toughness Enhancement: Also easy to fit in at a cost of just 3 AP, and available for every class and race combination, provided you've taken the feat. Certain classes and races will give access to more enhancements.
    +20 Rage Spell: This is a reasonable spell to cast if you have it or chug in potion form if you don't, particularly starting around Gianthold.
    =232

P2P Sources
    +10 Draconic Vitality Feat: Getting 150 Argo favor gives you this free feat.
    +20 Toughness Item: It's an item effect found on the Minos Legens helmet, among other things.
    +45 Greensteel HP Item: Requires you to invest quite a bit of time in the Shroud (or Epic Devil Assault) getting ingredients to make it.
    =307

Guild Sources
    +20: Guild augment crystals give 5-20 depending on how rich you are and what your guild level is, though this is pretty low priority and you'll likely not have room for it anyways.
    +20: Maybe you have +2 shrines, or maybe the +1 shrine bumps you into an even bracket.
    =347

Then you add in the effects of your class and Hit Dice.

240 for Barbarians (+12 per level)
    200 for Fighters and Paladins (+10 per level)
    160 for Clerics, Favored Souls, Monks, and Rangers (+8 per level)
    120 for Rogues, Artificers, and Bards (+6 per level)
    80 for Wizards and Sorcerors (+4 per level)

And for even more sources of HP, the following are more for bulky melee toons and not really reasonable to expect on all classes.

+20 Toughness Enhancements: Barbarians, Fighters, and Paladins have access to a second toughness enhancement chain in addition to their racial one, so there's really no reason to drop 3 more AP into another +20 HP. Maybe your race has access to level 3 of racial toughness enhancements, so you could go up to level 3 instead of level 2.
    +30 Exceptional Con: Melee toons will probably eventually get the EClaw set, which has +2 exceptional con, and might grab a +1 exceptional con tod ring. If it bumps you into an even bracket, it's +40 hp; if it doesn't, it's +20 hp, so this is actually an average.
    +20 Con Tome: Some day you might nab that +4 con tome... some day. Maybe you'll get a +3 that bumps you into an even bracket.
    +10 Superior False Life: Above and beyond Greater False Life is Superior False life, which gives you +40 instead of +30. You can get this pretty easily on the Epic Cavalry Plate whenever the Crystal Cove event comes around (it's a nice defensive item for just about any melee, too, when you really look at what you're getting).
    +40 Starting Con: You might have 16 (+20) or even 18 (+40) starting Con instead of 14.

There's even more yet, but it's pretty class-specific. Barbarians get rage, fighters can fit extra toughness feats, there are some PrEs that add HP... etc. Read up on your classes ddowiki.com page for details about what class features give you HP.
    Last edited by TheDjinnFor; 10-19-2011 at 04:45 PM.

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

It's easy to get enough HP in DDO to please everyone else.

First make your toons just like every one else. Put the same build points into Con as everyone else does. Take the Toughness feat just like everyone else does.

Go to the AH. Beg, barrrow, steal...do anything you can for a +6 Con item Preferrable race required, so you can get it at the lowest lvl possible. Don't worry about the million plat price tag... just don't spend your money on anything else and you'll be fine. Of course joining the right guild makes getting one a lot easier.

Same with Greater False life item.

When you get high enough lvl to do the Orchard, run nothing else until you get 20 taps. Just make sure that all you run, every time you log in is the Orchard!

And when you get high enough to run Gianthold, go knock out that Argo favor!
    Same as the Orcahrd, everyday....go run that Gianthold content on elite! Works best if you put up an LFM for higher lvl guys to carry you through it though. (since you don't yet have enough HP to do it smoothly on elite, at your lvl.)

Level 12, time to get flaged for the Shroud. Then run that every day! Yes, yes you can. Just don't complete it. Run it over and over and over again....day after day after day...until you get that GS HP item.... so you can be just like everyone else!

And now.....maybe....just maybe, you will have enough HP to do....oh, say some of the easier Epics.
    So you can go grind them now. Cause you will need exceptional Con items now...and Superior False life.

And once you have the highest Con item in the game, the highest exceptional Con item in the game. The highest False life item. The Argo favor, the recommended starting Con, the Toughness feat...... (oh....and you didn't forget NOT to play an Elf or Drow did you?)

Then and only then. Will you have the same HP as everyone else does!

(Now.....show me your Min II Kopesh!)(Both of em!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Community Member TheHolyDarkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Talon_Moonshadow View Post

First make your toons just like every one else. Put the same build points into Con as everyone else does. Take the Toughness feat just like everyone else does.

Go to the AH. Beg, barrrow, steal...do anything you can for a +6 Con item Preferrable race required, so you can get it at the lowest lvl possible. Don't worry about the million plat price tag... just don't spend your money on anything else and you'll be fine. Of course joining the right guild makes getting one a lot easier.

When you get high enough lvl to do the Orchard, run nothing else until you get 20 taps. Just make sure that all you run, every time you log in is the Orchard!

Same as the Orcahrd, everyday....go run that Gianthold content on elite! Works best if you put up an LFM for higher lvl guys to carry you through it though. (since you don't yet have enough HP to do it smoothly on elite, at your lvl.)

Level 12, time to get flaged for the Shroud. Then run that every day! Yes, yes you can. Just don't complete it. Run it over and over and over again....day after day after day...until you get that GS HP item.... so you can be just like everyone else!

And now.....maybe....just maybe, you will have enough HP to do....oh, say some of the easier Epics.
    So you can go grind them now. Cause you will need exceptional Con items now...and Superior False life.

And once you have the highest Con item in the game, the highest exceptional Con item in the game. The highest False life item. The Argo favor, the recommended starting Con, the Toughness feat...... (oh....and you didn't forget NOT to play an Elf or Drow did you?)

Wow. Someone sounds bitter. Squishy squish they tell you? :P

By the way my *drow* elf has 537 HP. Oh. And she's a pure 1d4 sorc to boot.

Yep. I'm at work so I'd love to post screenshot later.

But if a drow sorc can break 400 HP, there really is no excuse. x)

Oh, and don't think I've sacrificed anything to do it either. Base 40 cha.

Did it take work? Of course. But by WORKING on it instead of COMPLAINING, anyone can do it. ^_^

And having <300 HP is really bad imho. Not even in my noobiest of noob days, prior to ship buffs and everything, did I ever have a toon that low. Any generic gear should enable one to break such limits.

But yes, in the case of HP, either you want to be like everybody else by having enough HP, or not like everybody else by having GINORMOUS HP while strangely not sacrificing anything. Trying to "stand out" by having too little health won't be socially accepted. :P

Especially by the healers. *_*
    ~TheHolyDarkness Out~
    Last edited by TheHolyDarkness; 03-18-2012 at 04:33 AM.
    "A man can remake the entire world, if he has a dream and no facts to cloud his mind."

To add to the snark of Talon's post (something I kind of agree with).

If you think I am going to work in Toughness and all its enhancements into my elven wizard, you can walk the plank of our recently acquired new guild ship!

Melees, yes, take toughness! Silly not to really (even on "feat starved" paladins). But casters? Especially when you are trying to fit everything else in?

Yeah, make those types eat cake and like it!

The whole HP projection or get booted from my group thing is silly and needs to stop.

(Yes, yes, I plan to get everything else, GFL, Minos, etc., but I think doing everything you can to work Toughness into anything but a melee build is silly and a waste to boot.)
    Last edited by NytCrawlr; 10-18-2011 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHolyDarkness View Post
    By the way my *drow* elf has 537 HP.
    Since my wizard is just as squishy, I wouldn't mind a breakdown. Have a feeling Toughness and Yugo pots are the only difference between the two at cap.

Overall I think the original OP is most helpful for those seeking help, but ultimately I am kind of tired of seeing threads show us what HP we must have in order to do anything worth doing at cap or "end game".

Especially since I have ran quite a bit of "end game" material with others that mostly don't hit these caps, and have been fine.

Thedjinnfor- great contribution, +1.

Others- As has been said, this is only to provide a tool for players who want to increase their hitpoints. Whether anyone should reach a certain level or not is a debate I have steered well away from, I hope.

I put this up simply because a number of players in game asked about HP, and just didn't know about things like draconic vitality and minos legens.

I'm more in the "it's not how many you have but what you do with them" camp.

Hehehe.

Indeed, Yugo Pots are factored in there. Then again, for casters, a healthy Yugo Pot addiction for constitution should be encouraged. Does it take time to acquire? Yeah. But what else are you going to do if we're talking about maxing your HP out? Took me two years to finally perfect my Sorc. Did it literally last week in fact, so I can relate.

And I want to use that ability to encourage of course, not demean. Believe in yourself all you squishies who might be reading this thread! If I can do it, anyone can! =D

Now then, without pot buffs, the HP of my drow sorc still stands at 477 HP. Which means that if I got rid of toughness, I'd still have 435 HP. ^_^

I can afford to get rid of Toughness at my point but for most I'd still encourage it, especially for casters. Its the barbarians who can afford not to have that feat imho. The problem is, the less HP you have, the more potential risk you are for a healer. Especially if you are going to play an aggro magnet class such as a sorc, wizard, and/or rogue.

Still at work so more breakdown later.
    Last edited by TheHolyDarkness; 03-18-2012 at 03:54 AM.
    "A man can remake the entire world, if he has a dream and no facts to cloud his mind."

It is always good to know where/how to get more HP.

As a note - I really find it to be a disservice to people when HP are quoted with Ship/Store/Yugo/Class Specific Features. Lets use our HP before all of this to give new people a base to work from. Note these as other buffs that can be acquired .

For classes that do not have Toughness Enhancements the difference between a Single Toughness Feat + Racial Toughness is exactly 22 - 62 HP. The Range being 22 HP (Feat only) where 62 HP (Feat+4 Toughness Enhancements 10 AP)

I would agree that the cost of 1 Feat and up to 10 APs may seem high and should be weighed out by evaluating play style.

Most players gain the majority of their HP from Constitution and Equipment

At cap every +2 to Constitution is 20 HP

Equipment like False Life (Greater being the highest random loot, Superior on Named/Epic/Crafted) 30 - 40 HP

So on a Level 20 d4 Character with a 8 Constitution Base

Obtainable w/o Rare items or tome by level 20
    80 Character
    20 Hero Feat (everyone gets this)
    -20 Constitution (8 Con is -1 Bonus)
    30 Greater False
    60 +6 Constitution Item
    ===
    170 HP

@ 6 Con or -2 Bonus its 150 HP

Again these numbers are basic with only 2 pieces of gear which by level 20, unless the only luck you have is bad luck, a person should have run into a few different items containing these features. Also note these numbers are Zero investment in Con. Only you as the player can answer is 150 - 170 HP enough for you at Level 20? but to that end you will need to understand there are people that have already answered that question for themselves and come down on the side of No.
    ================================================== ===================

Also keep in mind your play style as that also effects the answer to the "How many HP is enough?" question. People can say "well I don't get hit", but what happens when you do?

On Toughness Feats - look at them more as a way to make up for 2 Points in Constitution by themselves. Only with the first Toughness does one get access to Racial and possibly Class Toughness Enhancements which can be 20 to 80 Additional HP depending on class/race.

Barbarians/Paladins/Rangers/Rogues do not get the same number of Feats as Fighters so usually don't take any more than one Toughness Feat. So in theory only have room to make up for +2 Con.

Barbarians gain longer Rages with more Con, while they come out 20 More HP ahead of Fighters/Paladins at level 20 for their base HP Con is still something to be weighed carefully.
    In the end the key to knowing how many HP is enough is after each encounter do you have at least 1 HP left without having to be raised. If you find yourself spending more time lying on the floor hoping for a roll of 10 or less, or standing incorporeal beside a Soul Stone, than the answer is that you don't have enough HP yet for your play style.
    Last edited by Enoach; 10-19-2011 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHolyDarkness View Post
    Indeed, Yugo Pots are factored in there. Then again, for casters, a healthy Yugo Pot addiction for constitution should be encouraged.
    Yeah, I will probably have my wizard get addicted just like my SD tank is going to be....I'm never going to have plat in the bank. *sigh*

And I want to use that ability to encourage of course, not demean. Believe in yourself all you squishies who might be reading this thread! If I can do it, anyone can! =D
    No, I know it is doable, I am just questioning the level of HP some are wanting from all toons. I still think toughness on a caster is silly, unfortunately I am an idiot and forgot that lich form needs it, so at 15th guess what I am taking along with quicken?

Still at work so more breakdown later.
    Eh, I think I've got the rest figured out, was just curious and it seemed kind of high.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon_Moonshadow View Post

U mad bro?
    To err is human, to forgive is divine. Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
    Jinger~Docholiday~Fritobandito~Bandshee~Grudock~Seigeengine

Gah! Forgot to finish my response to this thread.

Anyway, my caster is two years old. For the first year, she was entirely generic (and CONTENT WITH HERSELF). No Yugo, not even +2 Ship Buffs. Just the toughness feat, a starting con of 14, a +2 Tome, the Minos, and a +6 Belt of GFL that incidentally found me on my first newb trips to Amrath.

These were the days I was perfectly content not to be some kind of "uber sorc." Judging from old screenshots, seems I had 322 HP (before rage) for the longest time. Hellz yes, I certainly considered that enough. Wouldn't begrudge any sorc for having that much so long as they're careful.

Change happens however. Eventually I became self motivated to take things to a whole new level. Spent the next year gearing out. I can now attest that breaking 500 HP is indeed possible on any sorc regardless of race, its just reserved for those ready for "that level." In my case, its been nearly a year's worth of commitment but hey, I'm here to offer advice on how you go about it.

The start of my HP obsession I suppose, began with CCove. I let my sorc "borrow" a completed buccaneer ring that I had intended for another toon. Before I knew, she became addicted to it as a UMD item. Once I accepted that they'd be no prying it from her jealous finger, I identified its green slot as an opportunity to get rid of my Minos. In doing so, I could wear a Superior False Life item.

So here we go. Bear in mind I had 322 HP back with my old set up.

Base Case (Entirely Normal Drow Sorc Using Common Items)
    ----
    322 HP
    +20 Rage
    =
    342 HP

Phase One (Fate Plants Me In A Large Guild)
    ----
    +20 HP Large Augment Slot Gloves (requires level 70+ Guild, but even then just use whatever you can)
    +20 HP Guild Shrine
    =
    382 HP

Phase Two (Got Rid of Minos, Exchange for Pirate Hat)
    ----
    -20 HP No more Minos
    +20 HP CCove Ring (Green Aug Slot)
    +45 HP Greensteel Bracers of Mineral [Heavy Fort to complete the Minos replacement; at the price was my old evo+conj spell focus bracers]
    -30 HP Got Rid of GFL Belt
    +40 HP Replaced GFL with Superior False Life CCove Hat
    =
    437 HP

Phase Three (The Hardest Part, Epics and Amrath)
    ----
    +1 Exceptional Con, slotted to Epic Cloak of the Silver Concord (I suppose a T3 CCove Trinket or Gloves could've substituted)
    +3 Con Tome (obtained on a 20th Shroud Completion. Sat in my bank forever it did)
    =
    +20 HP from the above
    +20 HP ToD Ring (Rahkir's in my case)

=
    *477 HP*

Phase Zero (Yugo Favor plus Store Addiction)
    +40 HP Yugo Pot
    +20 HP DDStore
    =
    **537 HP**

As you can see my evolution happened piecemeal, but it nonetheless stands as an example of how high HP is obtainable regardless of class or race. The heaviest price that I felt was the bracer and glove slot. Never had interest running Necro for Vile Blasphemy though, so I Cannith Crafted my large aug'd gloves as my Resistance Item instead. I also learned to let go of the potential for the Bracers of the Glacier, as I acquired blue dragon scales for spell pen anyway, and the long term plan was on Rahkir's Set for Archmagi. Realizing this, it was time to stop running VoD, and use the bracer slot for an HP item at last.

Some of my DCs fell all the same however. Prior to my GS bracers, I was using a generic DC one (evo+conj). Though my DCs in those important areas were hurt, the increased survivability of removing my minos was nonetheless a fair trade. For one less DC, I got a net of 55 HP.

Now, this long term vision for myself began earlier this year, especially around the time of the first CCove. Only last week did I complete the hardest phase (Epic and Amrath). But yeah, give it a few months and I suppose any generic sorc can do it.

Just takes a plan.

And a plan takes inspiration. If you're not inspired, that's fine. Just...try to shoot for at least 300 HP however. For the sake of the healers in the group.

Hope this is useful! ^_^

~TheHolyDarkness Out~
    Last edited by TheHolyDarkness; 03-20-2012 at 02:00 AM.

Oh, and one last contribution to this thread is to encourage guild crafting. Not all of us are in a high level guild, I understand. But if you have access to medium or large augment slots, then try to take advantage of the perk however you can for your HP and SP.

My sorc uses two Large Slots having become my main and all, but I've gotten into the habit of fitting at least a single medium slot onto all of my toons.

Its very beneficial.

~TheHolyDarkness Out~

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grayham View Post
    Thedjinnfor- great contribution, +1.

Others- As has been said, this is only to provide a tool for players who want to increase their hitpoints. Whether anyone should reach a certain level or not is a debate I have steered well away from, I hope.

I put this up simply because a number of players in game asked about HP, and just didn't know about things like draconic vitality and minos legens.

I'm more in the "it's not how many you have but what you do with them" camp.
    Sorry that I misinterpreted your intentions.

Good info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast