Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Improved Precise Shot.

Is this really worthwhile for a Mechanic Rogue or is the feat better spent on something else like +3 to UMD, etc...?

I just took Precise Shot at 15 and it does seem to help when the mage is shooting at me and his buddies come from behind/around him then zoom in front of him where my bolts cease to hit him unless I run around.

How much better is improved precise shot over precise shot?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAlchemist View Post
    How much better is improved precise shot over precise shot?
    Ranged DPS is already bad enough that I can't see a good reason not to take something that allows you to hit more than one target in a line.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    Ranged DPS is already bad enough that I can't see a good reason not to take something that allows you to hit more than one target in a line.
    Does it shoot and hit all in a line so if they are lined up in a hallway, for instance, they all take damage? Man, if so that rocks.

Community Member

Yes - it has a chance to hit every enemy between you and your selected target. It's a toggleable stance (which persists after logout).

IPS is one of the best feats in the game. Imagine using a paralysing repeater on a hall full of enemies ... unbelievable crowd control (I've been there). Or a banisher ... or disrupter ... or wounding of puncturing (godlike!) ... or holy burst of puncturing (also godlike, but in a slightly different way).

But there are a few times when you will want to turn it off e.g. in Let Sleeping Dust Lie.
    Last edited by TimoteoDeLani; 09-24-2011 at 04:59 AM.

not usefull agains raid bosses (well you are still able to hit 2 titans in Master Artificer at once), but one of the best trash clearing feat (out of epics -> trust me you usually dont want to grab all possible agro of epic enemies).

Community Member krackythehoodedone's Avatar

The bottom line is thus.

If you are a Mechanic that shoots a bit, dont worry.

If you are a proper Ranged build then it is the best ranged feat in the game.

Apart from one on ones or Boss fights the ability to hit multiple targets at once makes up for lack in DPS and even better gives you a chance to hit all the mobs with some nasty Procs to help the rest of the party.

You will learn quickly how to tab through targets to keep the ''back marker'' targetted and will continuously move to create the angles required to keep hitting multiple mobs.

Probably the most powerful element of this is not so much the DPS but the effects you can produce which will hit and keep hitting all the mobs arrayed against you.

A Bow/Xbow specced toon with a Parylzer & IPS rules Gianthold.

At later levels cursespewers/Destructors/Earthgrabbers/Enervaters/instakillers and many others all form part of a potent arsenal of effects you can inflict on mobs to debilitate them before they can inflict to much damage on the rest of the party
    Last edited by krackythehoodedone; 09-24-2011 at 07:13 AM.

Community Member

can i suggest a feat respec to get imp precise shot at lvl15?

here is my feat progression to help you work out what can be moved about:

1 point blank shot
    3 exotic: heavy repeater (swap to rapid reload at lvl12)
    6 toughness
    9 precise shot
    12 imp crit: ranged
    15 imp precise shot
    18 rapid shot

waiting till lvl18 means you will miss the prime time of the paralyser, so grab a cheap para now and get imp precise shot now and enjoy your character at its peak. with a group of power gamers in elite madstone crater i came top of the kill board with a paralysing repeater because i trusted them to generate enough aggro for me to play very aggressively, we're talking being in melee range and hitting every monster with the paralysing effect and a fist full of sneak attack damage. probably not the best idea in your average pug, but it worked wonders with the quality of players i was with that time.
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

I am fine with my trusty paralyzing repeater so I guess I will take IPS at 18 since a rapid shot loss would hurt I think.

dont forget you will have to turn it off every now and again. worth it
    i find myself and others saying "glad im not paying for this ****" vip from ftp beta till 10.9.2012 fix it...fix it Now!

Is this really worthwhile for a Mechanic Rogue or is the feat better spent on something else like +3 to UMD, etc...?
    If your Mechanic rogue is a "ranged" character, then you should take it, since it will increase your damage output.

If your Mechanic rogue is a melee build, which occasionally uses crossbows, then you can skip it.
    On Thelanis: Hallelujah (Spellsinger) - Jerryrigged Juggernaut (caster FvS) - Sepulchral (Druid) - Chopchopchop (Warlock) - Alleyshadow (retired gimped monkcher). Formerly on Keeper : Misericordia (Thug) - Mumbo Jumbo (Battle Caster) - Infernal Can (WF Kinda Cleric) - Halleluyah (Melee Spellsinger).

Community Member krackythehoodedone's Avatar

Now why would you ever want to turn off IPS.

Just charge into ''dust'' target the furthest Ogre and let him have it with a manyshot. Those strange screams in your ear must be the party congratulating you on your magnificence.

Even better take your brand new shiny Lit 2 bow into Hound. Target the big nasty and fire. ''BOOM'' an orgy of lightning bolts. Dont worry too much about those strange rather charred four legged things, they wont matter

Community Member

I am fine with my trusty paralyzing repeater so I guess I will take IPS at 18 since a rapid shot loss would hurt I think.
    paralysing 1 mob at a time is nice, paralysing a whole pack of mobs at the same time is game changing.

as for rapid shot, the wiki estimates it to add 20% to your fire speed, for simplicity lets just take that as 20% extra DPS.

IPS on the other hand lets you hit more than one target, each one being a 100% bonus to your DPS. so lets say you can regularly line up 3 targets, thats 200% DPS boost and much more effective crowd control from your repeater.

when you get IPS working for you its one of the best feats you will have. yes it wont help in a boss fight but you probably wont be doing much serious raiding until lvl18 any way. i know i held off on the shroud for a long time as i worked on my HP (no point having sneak attack dmg if you're not close enough to use it).

so i think its a good trade, IPS now for rapid shot at lvl18. the only problem is the aggro, dont get it if you think you might pull too much aggro. right now you probably have a very nice balance, you only aggro 1 mob at a time which will get paralysed. IPS will change that and might take some getting used to. it worked well for me but then i had been playing the game for 5 years before i took a mechanic to lvl20.

so, you're call really, int he long run it wont make any difference as you will have both feats. i've told you the benefits and the down sides, so just play it your way and you'll be fine
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

Yeah, I hadn't thought about all that aggro (grrr, on my mechanic rogue thread someone suggested a threat reduction for ranged and this is a prime example why Mech III should have it). http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=342763

I'd say it's not that important to spend money on a +2 tome, but then again, there's not a lot of crucial Feats you'd be missing out on either.

Community Member

Yeah, I hadn't thought about all that aggro (grrr, on my mechanic rogue thread someone suggested a threat reduction for ranged and this is a prime example why Mech III should have it). http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=342763
    sod all that, i'd like to see mechanic III get the arty's tier I endless fusillade, ratatatatatatata

as for the aggro, if you wind up getting full aggro then making your own benny hill movie with the mobs and the rest of your party then yeah, the feat wont be so good as it will drive everyone nuts. if however you let the melee's establish aggro first (just taking the time to get a lock on the mob at the back is often enough) and if you do pull aggro you kite it past the melee's and use diplo to drop em as you pass then it will work very well for you. you can always turn if off if a combination of the quest and your party makes it unviable.

Community Member

I found one big downside on my artificer.

Chances are one or more of those extra mobs you hit will not have taken damage from anyone else yet and you end up constantly pulling lots of agro.

With no ac and caster like hp, it's a bad situation in more difficult quests.

I did an lr to adjust my stats and at the same time decided to drop improved precise shot.

Quote Originally Posted by 7-day_Trial_Monkey View Post
    Chances are one or more of those extra mobs you hit will not have taken damage from anyone else yet and you end up constantly pulling lots of agro.
    So just kite the extras through a blade barrier until the ones the melees have are dead and then stop long enough for them to pull them off. I don't see a point in going ranged if you aren't going to go the entire way and get IPS.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Well, I can always try it and if I find it too much for my playstyle (I am more support as I am constantly switching targets when I fight so as to paralyze them and make it easier on the healer and melees) I can always switch it out for say +3 UMD that will help me use raise dead scrolls.

Community Member

So just kite the extras through a blade barrier until the ones the melees have are dead and then stop long enough for them to pull them off. I don't see a point in going ranged if you aren't going to go the entire way and get IPS.
    The only way a melee can pull agro off me is if I stand around not shooting for a while, which totally negates the extra dps that you are trying to get with IPS.

A well geared arti at end game has awesome dps. I've been tripling the next closest in kill counts regularly.

I always hated ranged who kite in groups and I'm not about to start doing it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by 7-day_Trial_Monkey View Post
    you end up constantly pulling lots of agro.
    Yes. This feat turns you into an aggro magnet. If you don't have a reliable way to mitigate a large amount of aggro, then this feat can be a death sentence and a party wipe generator especially if you are the type to endlessly kite.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast