Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Is Chester still the only mimic in the game?

I'd like to see some mimics who are not red-named.

Also, what are Chester's (for lack of other mimic examples) resistances and vulnerabilities, if any? I assume he is affected by Aberration Bane, although I had not tried it yet.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Extra random stuff would be fun. Random chests in random dungeons and random mimics.

Too bad, DDO doesn't have random dungeons, yet.

But I guess, yes: Chester is the only one. I would also like to see Cratos model to be used more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Templarion View Post
    Too bad, DDO doesn't have random dungeons, yet.
    Too bad? I would say Thank God.

Don't get me wrong, I love random elements, like traps, mob placement (and maybe the occasional mimic). However, too many games nowadays rely on full random dungeons, which in the end, all look the exact same and have absolutely no flavor to them.

The fact that each quest is so unique in DDO is one of the biggest reason I'm still playing it. I don't want quests like Kill X [monster type] or Collect Y [items].

Quote Originally Posted by Ovrad View Post

Don't get me wrong, I love random elements, like traps, mob placement (and maybe the occasional mimic). However, too many games nowadays rely on full random dungeons, which in the end, all look the exact same and have absolutely no flavor to them.

The fact that each quest is so unique in DDO is one of the biggest reason I'm still playing it. I don't want quests like Kill X [monster type] or Collect Y [items].
    Although....ONE random dungeon (scaled to the level of the party leader) would be kind of cool. Maybe something involving a portal to Kythri?

p.s. Sorry for the derail. More mimics would be ok too
    Last edited by Arianrhod; 09-21-2011 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ovrad View Post

All dungeons in Diablo I, II, and soon III were random.
    Did Diablo suck? No that was actually one of the best parts of the game. Even the layout of the outdoor areas was random.
    Mijuu Llanes (Human Sorcerer 20)-Argonessan/Nevantide Wineblack (Drow Rogue13)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tammuz View Post
    All dungeons in Diablo I, II, and soon III were random.
    Did Diablo suck? No that was actually one of the best parts of the game. Even the layout of the outdoor areas was random.
    Thankfully DDO is not (yet) at the hack & slash level that Diablo is.

We have handcrafted dungeons because that's what you need if you want to tell a story in each quest. Instead of just alternating between a couple of wall textures and left/right corridor shapes and calling than a "new" quest.

We do have some "random" elements though. Prey of the Hunter, A New Invasion and Monastery comes to mind.
    Various hedge-wizards and halfwits, please see MyDDO for all your squelching needs
    Lyrandar 2006 - Devourer 2007 - Thelanis 2009 - Ghallanda 2010

I definitely do not want randomness (or mimics) introduced into EXISTING dungeons. But a random-oriented dungeon or pack, for occasions when I feel like playing something like that would be cool. With mimics!

more random mimics are win!

Random traps too!

It would be nice if there wasn't "this is how you run this" some little randomness makes things exciting!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    Hireling: "Oh god, you're in trouble!" *heal fail* "Oh god, you're still in trouble!!" *heal fail* "Nooooo I will save you!!!" *heal fail* etc. but to the player, it just looked like the hireling was standing there staring off into space. He's not staring...he's thinking...REALLY hard.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by maxelcat View Post
    more Random Mimics Are Win!

Random Traps Too!

It Would Be Nice If There Wasn't "this Is How You Run This" Some Little Randomness Makes Things Exciting!
    +1

Yum!

How do you know there aren't more mimics in the game already, and have been for years? I reckon mimics just have a very long hibernation cycle in which they basically are just regular chests & Chester is merely the first to have awoken.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post
    How do you know there aren't more mimics in the game already, and have been for years? I reckon mimics just have a very long hibernation cycle in which they basically are just regular chests & Chester is merely the first to have awoken.
    Is this like the epic fail chests that happen since update 11 when it tells you that no-one was in the quest on completion?

DDO Producer

I'm with Fuzzy on this.

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    I'm with Fuzzy on this.
    Excellent.

Things could get interesting in a couple updates...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    You may now return to your WoW bashing.
    Fweebie
    "Crouching Tiger Hidden Nerfbat!"

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    I'm with Fuzzy on this.
    I'm reminded of that secret chest in "Prove Your Worth".
    Last edited by VonBek; 10-11-2011 at 01:40 PM.
    So, I hear that one day we may get Familiars...
    ....I want a Velociraptor!

Not all randomness is good. Just did Tomb of the Crimson Heart recently - the dungeon itself is fine, but the pixel-hunt to find the skull runes is highly irritating.

Random mimics are fine, just as long as they boost all the loot in the chest by +1 :-)

The bogus chest in Redwillow should be changed to a mimic -- one that drops loot when it dies of course. Leave the trap in place, so you have to disarm it, then have the chest itself become an ambush (mimic). Then at least when some moron refuses to listen to the vet player about how that chest is bogus, and dies in the trap despite the warning, there would be a good reason for that chest being there (other than the other 5 ppl mocking the idiot who refused to listen).

Quote Originally Posted by varusso View Post
    the Bogus Chest In Redwillow Should Be Changed To A Mimic -- One That Drops Loot When It Dies Of Course. Leave The Trap In Place, So You Have To Disarm It, Then Have The Chest Itself Become An Ambush (mimic). Then At Least When Some Moron Refuses To Listen To The Vet Player About How That Chest Is Bogus, And Dies In The Trap Despite The Warning, There Would Be A Good Reason For That Chest Being There (other Than The Other 5 Ppl Mocking The Idiot Who Refused To Listen).
    +1!

Quote Originally Posted by varusso View Post
    The bogus chest in Redwillow should be changed to a mimic -- one that drops loot when it dies of course. Leave the trap in place, so you have to disarm it, then have the chest itself become an ambush (mimic). Then at least when some moron refuses to listen to the vet player about how that chest is bogus, and dies in the trap despite the warning, there would be a good reason for that chest being there (other than the other 5 ppl mocking the idiot who refused to listen).
    Bravo!

Good idea OP, Never gave it much thought. But a very good idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast