Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Bard Instruments

I feel that it is time bards can choose from an assortment of magical instruments, not just the boring guitar. It just does not seem fair that we are limited to one musical instrument, when there are so many out there.

We could have a chance to loot named musical instruments from certain quest chains, much like rune arms and eternal wands. There would be a variety of available instruments, each with their own unique sound when playing bard songs. They could also apply additional affects to bard songs, or perhaps come with interesting song based clickies.

I think this would be a cool idea because I play the alto saxophone, and I like the idea that my half orc warchanter could be playing a saxophone of his own. I also think that players of other instruments (oboes, flutes, clarinets, trumpets, trombones, and violins for instance) would enjoy having their bards play their instrument as well. And for those who do not play an instrument-nobody would pass up an instrument with additional abilities
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafeningWhisper View Post
    I agree with the feathered marsupial.

Community Member

there are no guitars in ddo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLArBZISjio
    Every quest, all quest.

Where would you equip them?
    Adding an additional effect to inspire courage would be nice.

Also - Vuvuzela bards.

Community Member

At the very least more items like the Mad Lute? I mean, give them "weapons" that have the apperance of instruments? I would love to beat someone down with a saxophone.

Community Member

also the 2 instuments you named even in our own times were seperated by around 900 years, I know magic blah blah but still, a tin whistle sure, pan flute why not, but saxaphone ?...

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Lightbulb

I agree but could we first please get at least a different song for each bard tune? My party never knows which song my spellsinger is caterwauling until the buff appears because they used the same song for different buffs.
    The evolution of DDO: Stormreach to Eberron Unlimited to Dungeons & Dragons Online
    -1- -2- -3- -4- -5- -6- -7- -8- -9- -10 - -11- -12 - -13- -14! years & still spawning kobolds
    From Turbine to SSG, who are the devs anyway? DDO Peeps Tracker

Quote Originally Posted by jandhaer View Post
    also the 2 instuments you named even in our own times were seperated by around 900 years, I know magic blah blah but still, a tin whistle sure, pan flute why not, but saxaphone ?...
    True... then again, I am sure an artificer could invent a saxaphone if we tell them the basic idea. That would make it in the correct time period, right?

It is a lute, not a guitar. Neener, neener. ;-)

Love the idea of bard-only musical weapons like the Mad Lute but it would be nice (and simple) if each song had it's own melody (instead of sharing them) and a different instrument (a wind instrument would be nice.) Nothing new to find or equip, just some long-overdue graphic and audio updating for bard songs.

Maybe when bards get their sonic dots and impressive crowd control DC's, we'll get song updates too... we can dream!

Quote Originally Posted by Galeria View Post
    It is a lute, not a guitar. Neener, neener. ;-)

Love the idea of bard-only musical weapons like the Mad Lute but it would be nice (and simple) if each song had it's own melody (instead of sharing them) and a different instrument (a wind instrument would be nice.) Nothing new to find or equip, just some long-overdue graphic and audio updating for bard songs.

Maybe when bards get their sonic dots and impressive crowd control DC's, we'll get song updates too... we can dream!
    Yeah... I understand it is a lute, I just call it a guitar anyway Also, the idea that they simply change graphics and sounds and making it a seperate item sounds good too (select it in korthos/on the airship for veterans), but if possible I would prefer named instruments with special bonuses. Maybe even usable as weapons? I also agree that each bard song should have a different tune, for variety and so people know what the heck we are doing to them

/signed

I would be on board with this if the instruments were limited to those in the medieval fantasy era. Besides the lute maybe a flute or hand held version of a harp, etc...
    Last edited by shores11; 09-16-2011 at 07:01 PM.
    Fizban - Avatar of Khyber
    Guild Leader of Legends: Where adventurers are born & Legends live.

Quote Originally Posted by jandhaer View Post
    Magic handwaving isn't required.

It's a different planet, with a different development path. Even within our own planet's history you see scientific advances seperated by centuries on different parts of the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by shores11 View Post
    /signed

I would be on board with this if the instruments were limited to those in the midevil fantasy era. Besides the lute maybe a flute or hand held version of a harp, etc...
    I used to feel only medieval stuff belonged in ddo, just like you-but I think the fact that artificers walk around with mechanical pets kind of ruins that image. Of course, I must agree that your idea makes sense... I just want a saxophone anyway

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzacoala View Post
    I used to feel only medieval stuff belonged in ddo, just like you-but I think the fact that artificers walk around with mechanical pets kind of ruins that image. Of course, I must agree that your idea makes sense... I just want a saxophone anyway
    yet another reason why I only gamed in forgotten realms...

Community Member

I whole heartedly agree that bards have been seriously neglected by the devs probably more so then any other class. They are ALOT of fun to play and a huge benefit to any group. SHOW BARDS SOME LOVE DEVS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzacoala View Post
    I feel that it is time bards can choose from an assortment of magical instruments, not just the boring guitar. It just does not seem fair that we are limited to one musical instrument, when there are so many out there.

We could have a chance to loot named musical instruments from certain quest chains, much like rune arms and eternal wands. There would be a variety of available instruments, each with their own unique sound when playing bard songs. They could also apply additional affects to bard songs, or perhaps come with interesting song based clickies.

I think this would be a cool idea because I play the alto saxophone, and I like the idea that my half orc warchanter could be playing a saxophone of his own. I also think that players of other instruments (oboes, flutes, clarinets, trumpets, trombones, and violins for instance) would enjoy having their bards play their instrument as well. And for those who do not play an instrument-nobody would pass up an instrument with additional abilities
    Half-Orcs should use war drums.

And I agree it would be nice to have bard instruments that provide abilities and take up a slot like the rune arm concept.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    a powerful ally able to play in any role that the group needs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zonbLF-NMZg

Quote Originally Posted by Aashrym View Post
    Half-Orcs should use war drums.

And I agree it would be nice to have bard instruments that provide abilities and take up a slot like the rune arm concept.
    Lol... war drums. That would be pretty cool admittedly. And then everyone would laugh as we try to stuff them back into our backpack when we are done playing them

It would also be pretty cool if bards could play heavy metal and nearby monsters would take sonic damage for the duration of the song

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenNova View Post
    Also - Vuvuzela bards.
    You would have to shoot me first.

However, I'm all for giving bards more (flavor appropriate) instruments. Harps, flutes, panpipes, and accordions; hell, even a hammered dulcimer (that would be a fun one to animate).

Having it be a choice at character creation under the appearance tab sounds good.
    Fear the Koala.
    Jial, Wyllywyl, and an ever-changing list of alts.

Community Member evilgardengnome's Avatar

The triangle FTW! ... or the cow bell.

Quote Originally Posted by evilgardengnome View Post
    The triangle FTW! ... or the cow bell.
    Would probably need to be at capstone to handle an instrument requiring that much raw skill.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast