Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    21,813

    Default Potions as spell components.

    What are the more restricting guilds doing about this one? Artificer looks like it would make a good group healer from level 1 on, but it uses cure pots as components for mass cure like spells.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

  2. #2
    Community Member parvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pigmy Drow Paradise
    Posts
    4,502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    What are the more restricting guilds doing about this one? Artificer looks like it would make a good group healer from level 1 on, but it uses cure pots as components for mass cure like spells.
    In Mortal Voyage, we'll follow our rules. On a related note, my highest level character has been saving every Bulls Strength potion he's found for years. I expected to use more of them once Tenser's Transformation became available to me, however, the group he runs with rarely has a healer. So, I've used it a few times to show off the cool look, but not in situations where he is likely to recieve a lot of damage. Lately, there has been talk of revising the spell. Turbine will probably make it stupid powerful. In MV, potions as a spell component are a great way to balance that.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

  3. #3
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    21,813

    Default

    Cure potions are only a spell component for the artificer cure spells. Im not seeing any other spells where potions are components as of yet.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

  4. #4
    Community Member parvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pigmy Drow Paradise
    Posts
    4,502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Cure potions are only a spell component for the artificer cure spells. Im not seeing any other spells where potions are components as of yet.
    Bulls Strength potions for Tenser's Transformation is the only other one I'm aware of.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

  5. #5
    Community Member -Zephyr-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    Artificers also have "mass remove poison/disease/curse" spells based on throwing pots. At least they did on Lamannia, did that not carry over to live ?
    Owy Evoker FvS / Praledric Completionist Qstaff Rogue/Monk/Druid / Laraeph DC Wizard / Laraelph AA Monk/Ranger/Pally / Gaenry Shiradi Sorc/FvS/Wiz / Reasis SWF Pally & numerous others
    The Leveller for DDO!

  6. #6
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    21,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -Zephyr- View Post
    Artificers also have "mass remove poison/disease/curse" spells based on throwing pots. At least they did on Lamannia, did that not carry over to live ?
    Looks like they do after all. This makes the question even more legit then, when a third or so of the spells they cast have a spell component which is not allowed to be bought.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

  7. #7

    Default

    Most of the artificer stuff is still new to me, but we don't plan on allowing any exceptions for them regarding potions and spells. Cool ability though! The Core rules are currently under review for 30 days, with some minor tweaking and tampering coming up.
    The Core HC Permadeath Guild
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber
    thecorehc.home.comcast.net

  8. #8
    Community Member parvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pigmy Drow Paradise
    Posts
    4,502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Looks like they do after all. This makes the question even more legit then, when a third or so of the spells they cast have a spell component which is not allowed to be bought.
    Disease, poison and curse are almost non-factors. I had a character litterally carry the same disease through three quests and it never had any ill effects (low con cleric). Finally made the saves and got better in no time. Poison? The only effect less meaningless is sparkly mushrooms. Waste of code. Remove Curse? On the scale of consideration with sparkly mushrooms being a 1 and no-save death effects being a 10, curse rates a 2. Not worth a backpack or spell slot.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

  9. #9
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    21,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post
    Disease, poison and curse are almost non-factors. I had a character litterally carry the same disease through three quests and it never had any ill effects (low con cleric). Finally made the saves and got better in no time. Poison? The only effect less meaningless is sparkly mushrooms. Waste of code. Remove Curse? On the scale of consideration with sparkly mushrooms being a 1 and no-save death effects being a 10, curse rates a 2. Not worth a backpack or spell slot.
    The -4 to hit curse isnt a big deal nowdays, but high level quests still have curses that are perminent til removed which do not allow you to be healed.

    Im talking about the low level arcane healing spells though. Each uses a cure potion as a spell component. a character can take that spell at level 1, heh.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

  10. #10
    Community Member parvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pigmy Drow Paradise
    Posts
    4,502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    The -4 to hit curse isnt a big deal nowdays, but high level quests still have curses that are perminent til removed which do not allow you to be healed.

    Im talking about the low level arcane healing spells though. Each uses a cure potion as a spell component. a character can take that spell at level 1, heh.
    At low levels every other crate has a cure light potion. No resource crunch there. At mid levels cure serious potions are harder to come by and will have to be rationed a bit. Good times.

    Yea, I've been hit with those anti-heal curses and they can be a mess, by level 8 or so, I try to carry two or three curse removal potions for those occasions. Most of my characters die with those still in inventory, but when I do need one I'm glad to be prepared. I treat blindness the same. I really miss permenant maladies. It was a lot more fun for encounters to have significance longer term. Spiders were fun. Enemy casters were more fun. Zombies were more fun. I really miss the mad dash from Necropolis to the tavern hoping the next con tick wasn't big enough to kill...good times. Nowadays we don't even carry immunity gear for that. It's of no consequence.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

  11. #11

    Default collectible turn-in versions of similar pots...

    What about the potions recieved from collectible turn ins? Are they able to be used as such components?
    The oddly named ones, that have same effect as ones purchasable from vendors.
    If so, one in such a group could have a bit more access to such resources.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload