Default Permadeath question

I am in awe of you guys. I tried a permadeath character, but like all my characters he died. On the second or third reroll I stopped that silliness. Anyway, my questions. What levels do you usually plateau at? I can see that people can make it to 20, but I see that as rare. I kinda figure that a lot of you spend a ton of time around 8-14 or so. That range seems easy to have someone "catch up" to a static group.

My second question is this this, how do you plan on addressing the new content? From what I have read, it is going to be ugly hard. Do you have regular characters you run through to get a feel first?

Thanks for entertaining my questions.

stainer

First, PD is done differently by different guilds with various level of difficulties in their ruleset.
    Guilds that are more permissive in terms of items, level of quests they can take at a given level, use of shrines and so on, will plateau at a higher level than guilds that are less permissive. Which approach is better, I will let each player decide for themselves.

So, what level you will play at the most will depend on your PD guild and your level of experience in PD. I play in MV, which is part of the guilds with a tougher ruleset, and people new to guild will play mostly in 1-6 until they get the hang of it. Once they get more familiar with everything they'll play 6-10 regularly and the most advanced will play up to 15 or so. Other guilds can provide more specifics for themselves.

One of the key point you need to think about in trying PD is that you should join a PD guild to do so. The reason is that PD guilds usually run with guildies only, making it more feasible to play PD. In a PUG if the others are not PD, they will take all sort of risks that will end up with you dead in the process. In a PD guild, the 5 others are as interested as you are to control aggro, scout and generally play a lot more tactically - hence a lot safer.

As for new content, I believe it will vary by guild and people. In MV we discover new content with PD characters. This is by far the most exciting adventuring you can do in DDO in my opinion and the closest to PnP. I mean, you are going ahead with no clue of what's going to happen. You scout everything, look for clue, try to anticipate ennemies with the risk of having to re-roll your character if you screw up. We call them PD virgin runs. I lost a few characters to Chronoscope for example, but the thrill of the first successful run was amazing.
    Last edited by Drall.; 09-07-2011 at 03:39 PM.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    www.mortalvoyage.com

Quote Originally Posted by Drall. View Post
    ~snip~
    Thanks Drall. That was informative. I can tell you are a great advocate of the permadeath style of play.

I would agree with your thought that there is lots of action in the 8-14 range. I know the guilds with tougher rule sets do get into that range regularly and those with looser rules still work that range frequently. In Extreme Explorers we ran Titan tonight in that range and I was on earlier soloing in Amrath with my 20 and korthos on my 1. I think one of the best things with permadeath is playing and enjoying the whole game and I certainly hope to be able to run the new content PD.

Quote Originally Posted by Orohb View Post
    I would agree with your thought that there is lots of action in the 8-14 range. I know the guilds with tougher rule sets do get into that range regularly and those with looser rules still work that range frequently. In Extreme Explorers we ran Titan tonight in that range and I was on earlier soloing in Amrath with my 20 and korthos on my 1. I think one of the best things with permadeath is playing and enjoying the whole game and I certainly hope to be able to run the new content PD.
    I second that!

Proud Leader of Extreme Explorers Permadeath Guild on Sarlona. Check us out at http://extremeexplorers.guildportal.com

Regarding new content, if I have PD characters in range of the new quest, or near the level of the new content, I will wait to run those new quests in The Core. Conversely, if the "new" content will be way above the level of my PD toons, I will run it with my only non-PD character on Khyber just to get my money's worth and experience those quests for myself. Over the past few updates, this meant running the Carnival for the first time ever in The Core. Lots of lots of deaths in those first few runs, as well as a completion in the very first run. Similarly, I experienced the Sentinels and Red Fens for the first time in The Core, and we had no deaths in the Sentinels but quite a few in the Red Fens. Same goes for the Harbor of Madness which we have run on normal twice, with the second time being underlevel without a healer. Let me say this: Virtuoso II rocks. Sustaining Song, ala Robert Plant.

Amroth and the Inspired Quarter stuff I ran on Nicomo, my non-PD ranger. It's one of the reasons why I changed our guild rules, because I didn't ever see The Core having a chance running those quests on hard.

The Core has been around for 2.5 years and our highest level characters are in the 15-16 range.

By the way, there is nothing to be in awe of. You played PD and died several times. I have played PD and lost literally a hundred characters. It's not awesomeness, it's just being stubborn. I don't see any character of mine having real goals, or real adventures, outside The Core. In non-PD play, except in very rare cases, completion of quests are almost a given.
    The Core HC Permadeath Guild
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber
    thecorehc.home.comcast.net

Mortal Voyage characters plateau wherever the highest level active rogue(s) is. Lost our highest level rogue in Crucible so there we sit at 15. Waiting for another one to progress and take us to new heights. Below that level we have lots of characters and activity at all hours.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Quote Originally Posted by Duncani_Daho View Post
    I don't see any character of mine having real goals, or real adventures, outside The Core. In non-PD play, except in very rare cases, completion of quests are almost a given.
    This is extremely true, I also have a few characters outside of MV and find myself playing them very rarely. It's like they don't feel alive if they can't really die.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    - Permadeath Guild -
    No twinking - No spoilers - No farming - Real challenge
    www.mortalvoyage.com

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Orohb View Post
    I wish I was that good. I typically don't make it past level 8.

Regarding the second question from the OP...

Extreme Explorers has run the 3 quests in House Cannith successfully!

(without running them non-PD)