Default Armor kits feedback

So I have discussed this a few times with other players about my feelings on armor kits. I love the armor kits but I have a few problems with them that I'd like to bring up.

Pricing. Some of the armor kits are (IMHO) way too overpriced in the store. Why is something cosmetic more expensive than a few adventure packs? Not to bring it down even further, but some of the kits are a lame, re-colored skin of existing artwork. Is it really rational to sell these for the ridiculous prices they are set at?

Versatility. The armor kits are a one-time use, once applied to something it is gone forever. I put my first armor kit on an epic stonemeld plate, and lost it because I had to reset the augment slots on the armor - not cool, although that might be a "bug". People are constantly changing gear to make their characters better, I don't want my expensive armor kit to be stuck on something I no longer use.

Recycling - or better said, lack of. You sell an item in the store to remove armor kits from an item, but (as far as I know) you don't get the armor kit back, it just 'removes' it and destroys it from the item. Again I ask, why? we paid points for the armor kit, are paying points to remove it, would it be too much to ask for to get it back to use on another item?

Just my thoughts on it. If armor kits were cheaper and reusable, I honestly think the ddo store would sell *alot* more of them - I know I'd buy more.
    Proud member of Renowned, Thelanis server.

Community Member

/signed for everything you said.

My original feelings still stand - it would be really, really nice if the prices were reduced and/or the kits were made reusable in some fashion! (whether that be retain it after using the removal kit, or some kind of stone of change ritual).

The price wouldn't be so far off if the other issues were dealt with. People will often pay quite a bit for cosmetic stuff they're able to keep as long as they want. They should make it so that if we remove a kit from a piece of armour, that gives us the kit back to apply to something else later.

Agreed. I bought an armor kit and regretted it immediately because I can't remove it and use it with other armor.

Completely agree.

With recycling as the #1 request.
    Ghallanda
    Thairos - ETRing Artificer * Khryll - 28 Clonk * Jarkxle - 28 Swashbuckler * Jaherian - 25 Druid

Community Member

I feel the price if fine, but locking to 1 item it just too limiting.

Even if they had some sort of "durability" that made them good for 5 uses or so it would be a huge improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by protokon View Post
    I put my first armor kit on an epic stonemeld plate, and lost it because I had to reset the augment slots on the armor - not cool, although that might be a "bug".
    I had this with Hobadash and his Epic Vulkoorim Fighting Leathers. Detailed the problem to Account Support, had one or two emails back and forth, got refunded my points. I bought the skin again, and reapplied it, easy peasy.

The whole armour kit system is flawed.

Limited selection of choices, no customization options which is what we really wanted.

When you buy a kit it is a one time use subject to being wiped out by cleansing or upgrading, crafting.
    Overwrite the armour and the old one is gone,.. ?!argh...#@$%!$
    I inadvertantly bought 2 wrong kits out of the 8 I have bought in total.
    Purchasing sample skins was annoying (apparently that has been removed now).
    Preview them in a real view not some fuzzy dull mirror in the ack of a dim weapons shop.

Since I bought it I should be able to cycle any purchased skin onto any armor I own whenever I want, it is a skin after all.

Would have preferred to see a customization shop where I could take my armour in and change all the aspects of my armour. Base, Trim, crests, colours etc....
    Zoom, pan tilt views
    Have those as permanent changes to the armour that I could then cleanse, recraft or whatever and still have it retain the armour crafted look I created.
    Would be a good addition to the whole crafting system.
    Jotmon - Let's not forget why we play these games - to have fun - ~
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200 (Former Guilds: ChaosKnights, Big Damn Heroes, Shadowfiends, Order of the Drow, Unusual Suspects, Raided R)
    Argo-Jotmon(Completionist - before the Otto's/XP pots easymode), Jotmonheals(Clr17/Rog2/Mnk1-Epic Completionist), Whatthetruck.. and many many more alts..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    Would have preferred to see a customization shop where I could take my armour in and change all the aspects of my armour. Base, Trim, crests, colours etc....
    Zoom, pan tilt views
    Have those as permanent changes to the armour that I could then cleanse, recraft or whatever and still have it retain the armour crafted look I created.
    Would be a good addition to the whole crafting system.

I agree. a little investment on expanding this feature could easily get people to spend more money on armor kits. people like cosmetic things, they don't like being nickled and dimed for a limited selection that is a one-time use, and a loss completely if you modify the piece of equipment in any way.

/Signed Sometimes the buggs really are buggering and some of the kits are costly but... this is understandably not charity.
    Ex-Keeper EUbie known as:
    Drenglis,...many more on 3 accounts ... forgot the rest!
    And yes... I'm a PROUD GREEN MUPPET and now a days a Dirty Monkey!... And now someone made me the guild leader

Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    Preview them in a real view not some fuzzy dull mirror in the ack of a dim weapons shop.

<snip>

Zoom, pan tilt views
    You can test kit anywhere for free. You have always been able to rotate around your character to check the appearance from any angle. The mirror in the shop is just there for flavour.

Quote Originally Posted by protokon View Post
    a loss completely if you modify the piece of equipment in any way.
    Not quite. Kits on Dragontouched armor are unaffected, according to DDOWiki. Cannith crafted armor retains the kit even after disjuncting and adding properties:

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepsalot View Post
    3: If you craft armor and put an armor kit on it, if you deconstruct it, does the armor kit stay? Tested on old armor has not been Crafted but the Kit Stays
    I do agree that it's wrong if the kit disappears after you modify or upgrade armor, say from ordinary to epic.
    Praise the Dark Six and pass the heals to pure melees.
    Full feat tree; Cannith; change; merger; evil; win; minmaxing; FotM; deja vu; Kobolds.
    Dungeons and Dragons Online ~ Nude Song and Gnarled Onions

Bumping this up- the more I play, the more useless I realize these kits are. I think most people would totally buy some kits if they were bound to the character and not the actual armor. It's a completely lame option within DDO currently and I don't recommend using them unless you are level 28 and have the ultimate armor that you never plan on changing.
    Your character's true power is the sum of all your combined abilities and how well you use them.

Quote Originally Posted by WheelerCub View Post
    Bumping this up- the more I play, the more useless I realize these kits are. I think most people would totally buy some kits if they were bound to the character and not the actual armor. It's a completely lame option within DDO currently and I don't recommend using them unless you are level 28 and have the ultimate armor that you never plan on changing.
    I thought that was how they worked now. You put them in the cosmetic armor slot and it always looks you are wearing them, regardless of what armor you put on.
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Hermanius Brightblade, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by WheelerCub View Post
    Holy necro batman. You bumped this thread...to complain about the fact that the cosmetics as they sell them now...work the way you want them to work.... I think you should take a new look at the cosmetic system. They haven't bound to the particular armor in a while.

Now if you want to talk about why I as a female character (and player) have to look like a hooker if I buy anything but the specialty armors (Pheonix robe, ninja pjs) I'll join ya...on a different thread.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    Holy necro batman. You bumped this thread...to complain about the fact that the cosmetics as they sell them now...work the way you want them to work.... I think you should take a new look at the cosmetic system. They haven't bound to the particular armor in a while.
    They do? I recently came back to the game and I was under the impression that they still only bind to a single piece of armor. Is that not the case because I will be very happy. BTW, I was getting my information from the Wiki which clearly needs to be updated.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Cosmetic_Armor_Kits
    Your character's true power is the sum of all your combined abilities and how well you use them.