Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey_Archer View Post
    Something to add:
    For some people extra turbine points (which VIP get 500 free every month) should also be considered in the transition. A VIP account is essentially paying $5 a month for the game + $5 worth of turbine points. So if you are a player who enjoys cosmetics, xp pots, mana pots, or other convenience items factoring in that cost vs what VIPs get in their subscription bonus is important.

If you buy the entire game for $250, as per the OP, and plan to purchace 500 TP per month, as per VIP bonus, then going premium is a 4+ year commitment to the game. ($250 for the game + $240 in TP = $490 vs $480 for a 4 year subscription)

If you buy a partial game or make use of sales for $150, as per the OP, and plan to purchace 500 TP per month then going premium is nearly a 3 year commitment to the game ($150 for the game + $180 in TP = $330 vs $360 for a 3 year subscription)

If you buy the entire game for $250 and have no interest in convenience items then going premium is a 2 year commitment, and getting everything on sale or buying a partial game is still at least a 1 year commitment.
    Good additional information, but it does omit one other major expense with maintaining a Premium Account: The fact that in addition to figuring out what it costs to buy what you want NOW and buying monthly points to cover the TP's you've come accustomed to spending, you will also be buying any new content that is to come (Adventure Packs, Races, Classes, etc.)

Premium players should assume that there will be 3-4 Updates a year where they will be likely to drop another 2-8k TP's for new content (depending on how complete they want their game to be.)

My guess is that if you are a VIP going Premium and are prepared to drop $100 to $200+ to make the transition, you're also probably going to want some (or most) of the new stuff when it comes out. So just keep in mind that Premium isn't really a 1-Time Purchase for people that are serious about continuing to play the game. In a very real sense you will be trading in 3-4 months of subscription fees for a spending spree every 3-4 months on content you might want from Updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    <snip>

There are most likely, even if you are a VIP, a vast amount of quests and perhaps even entire packs you have not touched. Given that as of (8/27/2011) there are a total of 257 quests in this game, thus there is little need to have done them all, or even care about them all as there is no need to touch a large portion of them on your path up the levels, which is no surprise as if you did each quest on normal, only once: Getting only:

• Ransack
    • Conquest
    • Persistence
    • Flawless

Which we all have to agree:

• Kill It
    • Break it
    • Don’t Die.

Is a pretty simple way to approach a dungeon.

You will have earned: 1,381,121 Exp. Far more than needed to go from 1st – 20th.

<moah snip>
    I just wanted to point out that for a first life character, you need 1,900,000 XP to cap.

But that's my only quibble; I've cycled between F2P (didn't last long), Premium and VIP a few times now. Most recently, I did essentially as the OP suggests. I bought a bunch of TP on sale (6900 for 50USD), saved them, and when my VIP ran out in July, bought all the stuff mentioned that I hadn't already purchased - mostly adventure packs, and all were 20% off. (Ok, I skipped a couple of adventure packs.) Three days or so later, the 1000TP for two months was offered, and I jumped back to VIP for a three month sub - 3 months of full access and elite unlocking (a couple or three TRs makes that worth while by itself!), and 2500 TP to boot!

I'm happy to make that switch to VIP; I'll be happy to drop back to premium in October as things stand now, and I have plenty of time to reconsider that choice.

Oh, and the shared bank? Wouldn't leave Marketplace without it!
    Argonessen: Jhanrae, Weisen Heimer, Chaard O'Nay, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by jillie View Post
    I just wanted to point out that for a first life character, you need 1,900,000 XP to cap.
    Thank you for pointing that out. it seems I messed up my numbers, I would like to at this point arbitrarily blame someone else for this mess up. but I have only myself to blame. I will be fixing the OP as per your info. (Seems I missed the 1 million on that, thought it was only 900,000 for some fool reason or another)

2 points of note...

1. Having switched from VIP <-> Premium several times I know that 'If you cancel' all it does is stop the auto-renew on your credit card. You will still have VIP status until the day it would have renewed.

2. There is an area in the DDO store to the right of the 'Go' button that says Show All Items-No. If you click that it will change to Show All Items-Yes. Now if you are VIP you will see all items in the store, including things you "get for free" as a VIP, such as Quest Packs, allowing you purchase them.

I am currently Premium so I cannot completely verify that you can purchase packs still. However I have done it in the past, though months ago, so it was possible.
    Male Fairy: "Dont cry my dear. You know what I do when I'm sad?"
    Felicia Day Fairy: "Look douchy..."

Quote Originally Posted by mournbladereigns View Post
    Actually, if this Nerf's one of Shade's barb's I doubly support this!

Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

you can not buy options that are free to a VIP while you are a VIP. you can see them in the store via the described method, but you cannot purchase them

the official home of LOLWUT
    and R.O.G.U.E !
    Pointless/Frivolous/Beguiling/Justanotha Waste of Time, Katzklaw, Pickt d'Locks & etc
    Q: how do you get me to appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question! XD

Community Member

Excellent guide Ungood!

one thing i would highlight would be the shared bank and it's importance for sharing BtA loot. you do a good job of explaing what will happen to your bank when you switch but came just short of saying you'll lose the ability to share BtA.

i'd imagine it may not be in the forefront of a vips mind that going freemium means they won't be able to pass X around.

otherwise, tip tops matey =)

Quote Originally Posted by Fomori View Post
    2 points of note...

1. Having switched from VIP <-> Premium several times I know that 'If you cancel' all it does is stop the auto-renew on your credit card. You will still have VIP status until the day it would have renewed.

2. There is an area in the DDO store to the right of the 'Go' button that says Show All Items-No. If you click that it will change to Show All Items-Yes. Now if you are VIP you will see all items in the store, including things you "get for free" as a VIP, such as Quest Packs, allowing you purchase them.

I am currently Premium so I cannot completely verify that you can purchase packs still. However I have done it in the past, though months ago, so it was possible.
    I would like to say this are very good points, however, if you use the Show All -Yes option, you still cannot purchase those account options, even if you can see them.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLarone View Post
    Excellent guide Ungood!

one thing i would highlight would be the shared bank and it's importance for sharing BtA loot. you do a good job of explaing what will happen to your bank when you switch but came just short of saying you'll lose the ability to share BtA.

i'd imagine it may not be in the forefront of a vips mind that going freemium means they won't be able to pass X around.

otherwise, tip tops matey =)
    Thank you, and Thank you for the heads up, I'll make mention of this in the OP. This is also a very good point, as to what to do with BtA items you may not be sure who should get, especially if you plan to hold on purchasing the Shared Bank Option for a while after the conversion.

2015 DDO Players Council

double bonus points weekend! good till the 5th! stock up people! i know i am!

and R.O.G.U.E !
    Pointless/Frivolous/Beguiling/Justanotha Waste of Time, Katzklaw, Pickt d'Locks & etc

Quote Originally Posted by katz View Post
    double bonus points weekend! good till the 5th! stock up people! i know i am!

Thank you for the heads up. Also I updated the Guide to Include some purchase prices and slight starter guide as to what to expect when the change over happens.

Community Member

+1

thanks for taking the time to make this guide and for sharing the fruits of your work
    if life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
    if life gives you pickles, well you're screwed. because pickleade sucks.

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

It's no longer $50 for x points but $60 for y points (which gives a better $:TP ratio).

Might be worth updating.

Also, it's worth mentioning that last christmas period every account option came up for 50% off at some point over the break which can make the overall cost for the game quite small (maybe even worth cancelling a sub for).

I know I now own the game except for what came out in the last year for $75 which includes a character world transfer

I'll look into this. thank you.

Community Member

Default What about a guild charter?

I am currently making the switch from VIP to Premium. I am the leader of a small guild on Thelanis, just me and two others. I started this as a solo guild just to avoid annoying blind invites, but these guys asked to join me, so I invited them. A guild charter is free for VIPs, but must be purchased for Premium players. What will happen to my guild when the timer runs out on my sub? Will I be removed as leader? Will the guild be placed in limbo or disbanded?

Good thread by the way, thanks for all the work!

Lok

Quote Originally Posted by lokachari View Post
    I am currently making the switch from VIP to Premium. I am the leader of a small guild on Thelanis, just me and two others. I started this as a solo guild just to avoid annoying blind invites, but these guys asked to join me, so I invited them. A guild charter is free for VIPs, but must be purchased for Premium players. What will happen to my guild when the timer runs out on my sub? Will I be removed as leader? Will the guild be placed in limbo or disbanded?

Good thread by the way, thanks for all the work!

Lok
    This is a great question.

I myself am a leader of a small guild, and after the conversion from ViP to Premium, I maintained ownership of all the guilds I created (even the ones I made out of humor)

Thus, the charter is owned once the guild is created, as the leadership can be passed to anyone regardless if they are VIP, Premium or F2P.

You will keep your guild and your guild charter though converting from ViP to Premium.

I hope this settles any concers you had during your conversion. I wish you good fortune in your transition.

2015 DDO Players Council

triple bonus points right now. if you were ever going to buy points, now is the time.

i know i already got some.

and R.O.G.U.E !

Great info!
    Two years back I started F2P (then you needed tokens to level 4->5, 7->8, 11->12 ect) and bought shared bank and a few other things. I didn't see this covered (I easily could have missed it, twice) but is there a way to get an inventory of what has been purchased?

Thanks for putting this together. +1

Quote Originally Posted by IllOracle View Post
    Great info!
    Two years back I started F2P (then you needed tokens to level 4->5, 7->8, 11->12 ect) and bought shared bank and a few other things. I didn't see this covered (I easily could have missed it, twice) but is there a way to get an inventory of what has been purchased?

Thanks for putting this together. +1
    Turbine recently put in the store a means that allows you to look at your purchase list, but it does not go back very far, so if you are looking to see how much you spent over a longer time frame, I am sorry there really isn't anything I know of that can do that.

You could call Turbine's Billing department and ask for a list or receipts of all your purchases from them, they might have it.

Triple point bundle on sale now, seriously considering this. Need to look at updated point costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimknot View Post
    Triple point bundle on sale now, seriously considering this. Need to look at updated point costs.
    Have they changed the base point cost of the features? If not, the base that I put out should still hold or at least give a very good approximation of the overall cost to purchase the features most desired.

I did not want to be put in "super" sales, as they should be a boon to allow a player to get ahead on points, but I did not want to make it something to plan on or depend on happening as far as planning purpose for buying parts of the game.

However, a good sale is always something to jump on!

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    Thank you for pointing that out. it seems I messed up my numbers, I would like to at this point arbitrarily blame someone else for this mess up. but I have only myself to blame. I will be fixing the OP as per your info. (Seems I missed the 1 million on that, thought it was only 900,000 for some fool reason or another)
    I know that I am a year to late, but I'll volunteer to be your scapegoat.

"BaaaAAAAA!!!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast