Default The Rise (and Fall) of Guilds

Hello guys. I am taking a class on Organizational Behavior and I have a few curiosities about guilds in this game. (This will serve as an informal survey and hopefully give me insight on future direction on what I want to do for my class and my Psych degree.)

===============================

Feel free to answer, any or all of the questions.

GUILD NAME:
    SERVER:

1. How did your guild start? Was it about specific player needs, a certain philosophy, or was it born from a pre-existing static group?

2. How would you describe the structure of the guild. Do you have a leader, co-leaders, different tiers of officers and members?

3. What tools do you use for organization? Do you use Message of the Day, a lot? Do you have a guild site? What do you use these for?

4. How organized are groups? Are things very static? Or do groups form from guild chat or do people just do Pick up groups (PUGs)?

BONUS 5. If you were part of a disbanded guild, what happened?

=============================================

IMPORTANT NOTES

1. I would appreciate guild names. I would love to contact you in game if you I can learn more, plus I think it would serve as a nice collection of historical accounts from each guild.

2. If there is some drama involved in your answers (conflict, issues with specific members and leadership, issues with other guilds) PLEASE PM me your answers. I would appreciate all the information but I would not want you to violate Forum policies.

Thank you so much!

GUILD NAME: SoulReavers
    SERVER: Thelanis

1. How did your guild start? Was it about specific player needs, a certain philosophy, or was it born from a pre-existing static group?
    >> I have no idea, I came in a long time after the guild had been started. As far as I can see, there are no historical records detailing the rise.

2. How would you describe the structure of the guild. Do you have a leader, co-leaders, different tiers of officers and members?
    >> Our structure is one of friends, mostly. We have a leader, 3 officers, and a handful of members. We turn to each other when we could use help, and never hesitate to help someone new.

3. What tools do you use for organization? Do you use Message of the Day, a lot? Do you have a guild site? What do you use these for?
    >> We have a guild site that we use. I'm currently redesigning it to be as functional as possible. Typically we use the message of the day for congratulations to specific member and guild achievements, and to organize upcoming events. The same goes for our website. It's a place to share knowledge, help each other, and encourage learning teamwork and good tactics.

4. How organized are groups? Are things very static? Or do groups form from guild chat or do people just do Pick up groups (PUGs)?
    >> We will form a group from our guild before we look anywhere else for members. At any given time we don't have 12 members on at once, though, so typically, we fill the remaining slots with pug's, allied guilds, or we short man. Short manning is a great learning tool, and the only way to really understand all the pieces of a raid/quest, IMO. It gives the opportunity to slow down and discuss things without holding anyone else up.

>> I was invited to a couple of guilds before I found my home with SoulReavers. I left them on good terms, and honestly don't know what became of them. To me, a guild should be a collective force, not a random invite anyone and never talk to them thing.
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

GUILD NAME: The Ministry of Destruction

Quote Originally Posted by Tenchi View Post
    Our guild was born when I left another guild (which will not be named). I was a new player to DDO then, and I left the guild because of the obnoxious behavior and unwillingness to help/run with new players. Shortly thereafter, I formed my own guild. We grew slowly through finding similarly-minded people in PUG groups to where we are today.

As leader, I task myself with the job of making sure everyone is happy within the guild. Officers are generally differentiated from Members by their activity, interactivity, knowledge of the game and willingness to help other guildies. The guild as a whole is very teamwork-oriented, with a help me-help you mentality.

We do have a guildportal website, but it is rarely used outside of posting guild policies. Outside of guild chat, the MotD is our main method of organization; we post raid schedules and important events on it.

Our raid schedules are pretty close to fixed, and the attendance is fairly steady. As far as regular questing goes, we usually check in guild chat first to see if anyone is available to run with us, and then we'll fill the remaining slots with Puggers.

Again, I left my old guild simply because I felt it wasn't the right fit for me. However, alot of our members are "refugees" from guilds that have imploded or faded into the void.

Best of luck with your class!
    -Cryo
    Last edited by Cryohazard; 08-23-2011 at 05:44 PM.
    Thelanis:
    Retired Leader of The Ministry of Destruction
    Retired Player of DDO
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuffmann View Post
    Let me concede and bow to your far superior social graces.....

Guild: 101st Gianthold Airborne (it's actually spelt IOI in the game since numerals are not allowed in Guild names)
    Server: Argonessen
    current Guild members: 11

the guild was formed by three close friends who wanted to earn their own ship and have a guaranteed guild for any new Toons that they made.

the guild comprises of three actual players with all of their current toons enlisted. the highest level toon of each player has leadership status.

there is no real in game communication, since we all are close friends.

the guild is simply there to mutually earn favor, we do not group together often and there are no organized event.

i was in a guild called that Arabian Nights. it was a themed group that required players to only use Mideastern to Eastern style weapons, though there was no discrimination on the location or ethnicity of members. It's cause for disbanding was the low interest in the guild, coupled with the increasing real world distractions on the leaders.
    JOIN THE 101ST GIANTHOLD AIRBORNE : WHERE FLYING THROUGH THE AIR IS NOT ALWAYS BY CHOICE.

Kobald want to run...but..cookies!...

GUILD NAME: The FRAG

Oh in the dim and distant past back on Keeper I was a memeber of The Unearthed Arcana. Had an idea to start a static group to run on Thursday evenings. The static group was a Friendly Roleplaying Arcana Group. The group was made up of 6 Arcana members. Anyhows 3 of us left the UA and joined Avenging Demons, howvere the FRAG as a static group continued, although put on hold whilst one member did a tour in Afganastan. When we moved over the pond to Thelanis the UA moved and AD werent far behind. We remained in our respectve guilds for a short while, but one of our FRAG members left, a sad loss after about four years together. It was not long after this that the decision was made that as we mostly ran together we may as well form our own guild, naturally enough the name The Frag stuck.

Ok we alternate choice of what quests we are doing, whoevers pick it is that week gets the leadership. Then we just lost intrest in who had leadership, so we just ensure it isnt left with someone if they are goin away fro a while. We looked to replace the person who left and get the static group up to 6, someone we knew joined us but didnt stay long and went to join another guild, but left his sons toons with us. We have picked up a few who have turned up from Keeper wet and bedraggled there is a place for them in the FRAG to stay as long as they want, or till they find something that better suits their needs. When Rol was Leader at he decreed that we dont let just anyone into this guild, but you need a pc to join, however we have been know to waive this if needed. We have a person who took a holiday from Khyber and has returned to Khyber, but her toon is still in the FRAG and will remain till she deletes or removes it. We had a few of blibs friends join, but 2 arent bothering anymore and one is on a tour of duty, all toons still in guild. So we have about 12 accounts, about 6 of which are active. Everyone account has a toon who is an officer.

Everyone has the ability to use message of the day. Strangely enough we do have a guild site. These are mostly used for passing info, messages or jokes.

We meet on Thursday night, boot up skype, get drunk, have a craic and do whatever quest the chooser has chosen. Any other time you log on and someone needs a hand you help them.

GUILD NAME: The Order of the Scythe
    SERVER: Orien

I put out a thread looking for five other players for a Sunday morning static group. Five players signed up, and we've been playing since June of 2011.

I am the leader but it's an administration role really. When we're in game whoever knows what to do next takes point and gets us through it. The other members are considered Charter Members. Anyone who joins in the future will be a regular member. If we ever expand, members can be promoted to officer and will be completely responsible for their own group, under the TOS banner.

We have a MOTD in game that displays the next planned event. We also have a Guildlaunch site with an event calendar and forums.

Our goal is to keep things as static as possible without micromanaging anybody. We plan our sessions 1 or 2 weeks in advance, then we show up. If someone doesn't show up, they can make up what they missed during the week. We post a log of our completed quests on our site so everyone knows what needs to be done.

Recieved data from:

GUILD NAME:Titan

Thank you everyone who replied. I am still looking for responses, so any others will be appreciated. :-)
    Help a student. Tell me about your guild!
    A Survey about DDO Guilds

GUILD NAME: <o>
    SERVER: Argonnessen

It was myself and 5 guys (Bandale, Mo, Hal, Dark, Precious) I ran with almost nightly. <o> was formed October 2006. The reason it was formed: We all pugged non stop. Turns out people enjoyed us...maybe a bit too much. We rolled out new characters and made <o> to avoid "Tell Hell" lol. We still played our alts every once in awhile, but it was refreshing to play without the constant ding of pm's......no one knew those characters
    I took the Leadership of <o>, but that word didn't mean anything back then. It was our guild. There was no Leader.
    *Sidenote* To this day, I get people assuming <o> stands for my Characters names...Opall. It does not. We stood around in a bar trying to get a name. Bandale said "Hey, lets make a symbol" We all agreed. We got to the letter o in the brackets and we had a winner It looked like an eye. (Or it did until Turbine took my damn brackets away.....Now it's just o)

As of right now, It is just myself and my husband running <o>. There really is no structure. I don't recruit. I have some friends that recently moved some characters over to <o> from other guilds. If they log on, awesome. If not, we have 7 alternate accounts to keep <o> at the perfect number for maximum renown bonus

I use the MoD for smarta$$ remarks
    I keep my GP site up (I neglect it at times) I will pay it more attention in the future.

My husband and myself tend to 2 man everything. We Tr our characters about every 12-15 days give or take so the thought of running with other people right now when we are 100% focused on an end game goal makes my skin itch.....others will just slow us down.
    We are in some channels, but they are just there for comic relief
    *That reminds me...I Tr'ed today and need to get a password again So Smurf, If you read this....I know I don't contribute to your channel, but I love to watch the chat You guys make me laugh

My guild went dormant for about a year. From the list of original Founders, Only me and 1 other play still. The 1 other that still plays logs on about once a month because the character he has in <o>, I do believe, is his bank toon.

Extra Info that may be helpful to you (if not ignore it lol)

I started small, I have stayed small. I did get some guys in <o> and all was good for awhile. 2 came from PermaDeath. lol It was kinda fun watching them learn quests they were not familiar with. Another guy was in the same guild as Bandale before <o>. Solid player. Much respect for him. Always good times and good runs with Krutch.
    Then we picked up a guy that always ended up in our groups when the LFMs went up.
    I got another by leading Orchard runs back when that was a hard area lol
    It stayed that way for a long time.

I gave all of my guys the same song and dance when they asked to join <o> " I do not recruit...I do not want a large guild....I don't tolerate BS"
    They were all fine with that at first, but as time went on 1 wanted a larger guild. I caved and recruited some new blood.....that was the start of a nasty cancer in <o>.

It just all went downhill. Between officers playing with trash that had been blacklisted, to ninja loot passing in all guild runs....too much drama.
    So I told them I was going afk for a bit. 1 wanted to take the lead a recruit, recruit, recruit while I was gone. That way when I returned, I would have more people to play with..........I guess he missed the part where Opall does not play well with others.
    I opted to boot everyone form <o>. It was obvious I could not trust my officers anymore. Some left when they caught wind of the booting.

I didn't leave the game though...
    I just let <o> flat line for about a year.
    Like I said, we have 7 alt accounts between us. I got to know lots of people and got into lots of guilds on non-Opall characters. lol no one know it's me though cause I do not speak....only type

I KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON . I am 1 of many and WE DO NOT approve

~We are Anonymous~We are Legion~We do not forgive~We do not forget~Expect us~

Community Member

We have had a static group of players playing dungeons and dragons computer games since 1999.

We have a leader and the members of the preexisting static group are officers. Others are recruits. We are willing to promote active players to officer status.

Message of the day does not change too often. No guild site.

We generally play with whoever is on when we log in. We do try to make sure every Saturday evening is a game night.

Community Member

Guild name: The Triple Nat Twenties
    Server: Sarlona
    Link: http://my.ddo.com/guild-sarlona-the_..._nat_twenties/

-----------------
    Four friends that met once a week to hang out and BBQ,
    turned into weekly DnD 3.5 home games
    turned into Game Night playing assorted board games
    turned into a weekly LAN party playing Starcraft
    turned into a weekly LAN party playing DDO
    turned into an online "Game Night" playing DDO when people moved away

...and now we have Tuesday evenings designated as our "Game Night" where everyone tries to get online. Sunday afternoon/evenings usually include a good portion of us online as well. Some of us play much more frequently than this, but this is really our only "guild function" if you would consider it one.

Everyone pitches in for re-purchasing the guild ship buffs, we all contribute to the guild chests, we pass loot if we don't need it, and generally collaborate on just about everything. That IS the intent of guild functions after all.

We've been able to convert some more of our friends away from their non-DDO ways over the last few years. Our guild consists of something like 10 accounts, with probably an average of 5 toons per account. Everyone in our small group of RL friends has officer status. We do not actively recruit but aren't necessarily against inviting new members into the guild either. Some sort of "guild acceptance" period would have to be passed before an invite was sent.

My main (Lyneria) is leader, and we do have a successor though those titles don't really get exercised much. Really the only time I ever use my "Guild Eldest Brother" powers is when no one else has suggestions for something to run, I usually come up with something.

We use MotD pretty frequently to post things like "20% bonus XP this weekend", "Double points bonus through <date>" or just other random info/hilariousness. We don't have a guild site.

If we have enough people online that we have to split into multiple parties in DDO, we sometimes use TeamSpeak for voice chat. We also use Google docs for storing data which we collaborate on.

We are a pretty casual bunch. We usually trickle online in the evenings once people get off work and run quests in an ad-hoc sort of way. If someone has something they're really trying to work for, we'll all group up and help them out. Sometimes we just spend a lot of time in market/in the crafting hall/at the bank/on the guild ship discussing builds, strategies, loot, gear lists, or whatever. We'll start up LFMs for Shroud or Epics and sometimes we just group up with everyone running something different. Occasionally we'll be more organized and plan to do some specific things ahead of time.

-----------------
    Hopefully that's what you were looking for.

Arrow The true story of Spellbinders

GUILD NAME: Spellbinders

SERVER: Sarlona

Last year, I was a complete newbie, so I used to just blind invite people in Krothos and make my group for quests. Once I unlocked the harbor and leave Krothos at level 3, I was really excited about new f2p quests there, and started to blind invite more people in my group, and decide about quests. Some people really liked it others hated it, and declined my requests. So finally after killing 200 kobolds together, one of my group mates there showed me how to put up LFMs in the social panel, he also told me to use that option in further cases as blind inviting people for groups often freaks out some people. He was a VIP and I was a f2p at that time, so he also asked me whether I want to have my own guild or not, so I replied "yes", and he made me my guild "Spellbinders" for me. From that point I never blind invited anyone into my group, I changed my policy, I started blind inviting people (specially from Krothos, Harbor, and Marketplace areas) in to my guild.

At the beginning our guild's policy was to become the largest guild of Sarlona by population. We did well, I used to blind invite each and every person I saw who is not a part of any guild or haven't disabled blind inviting option from UI. I also made everyone officer, so that they can blind invite too. Within very short period we have 700+ active accounts, that made us 6th largest guild by population in Sarlona. We leveled very well too, reached level 25 in less than 2 weeks but problem occurred when we reached level 35+, it became very slow to level. By that time we also had the highest number of inactives and people who log in once or twice a month. So I changed my policy again, I keep only the most active and high level people as officers and demoted most of the low performers. Some people left after this decision, and others had no feeling. So in later stage I had to regularly dismiss people who were inactive for more than 2 weeks. Meanwhile I also learned about guild reknown system, stopped recruitment and Within 10 months I had to dismiss 700+ inactives and thus slowly reached the maximum 12, minimum 6 accounts policy at this stage. Leveling is very fast and easy now with 210%-300% bonus reknowns.

Previously when our guild size was huge I encouraged people to use our official guild website, very few people listened to me though, and at one point the website administrator became inactive. S/he used to just log in and log off once or twice every-month without updating the guild site nor playing the game or communicating with anyone. Therefore, I had to dismiss him/her from the guild too. Now as we are a very small guild, we don't use that site, we just use our guild chat for communication and place important updates on the message board. Still everyone is an officer, so everyone can update the message board.

Previously when we were a very large guild, for the first one or two months grouping was not really an issue, as a lot of people (5-50) were online and we could easily form the group. However, when newbies lost their interest and became inactive, problems started to occur. Now at this stage since we are a very small guild (currently 4 active people, need at least 2 more asap), we never can form a full group even if everyone is online. Therefore, relying on Sarlona's wonderful but dramatic PUGs is our only solution.

GUILD NAME: Nerdrage
    SERVER: Sarlona

Drop outs from a much better established long standing guild known as soulless.

One leader, rest officers all just friends

Motd and raid nights twice a week we try to get together for.

WE LIKE TO PLAY WITH EACH OTHER, or our channel pals. we sometimes fill groups with pugs and sometimes join pugs if guild is quiet. though preference is grouping with each other.

5. If you were part of a disbanded guild, what happened?

Old Guild died for a bit so we (new guildname)'d and left..

GUILD NAME: Running with scissors
    SERVER: Ghallanda

- lets just go with pre-existing static group, except add mostly not exclusively, just usually playing with each-other . long-ish story short - myself, my husband and our real-life-friend/brother-in-law decided prior to game release what server we would be on, what guild name we would have and that we were making a guild.
    myself and especially our brother-in-law are sort of quiet, and not nearly as social as my husband, and often felt/feel more comfortable playing with people we knew. brother-in-law played with us, and solo'd - i honestly am not sure he ever joined pick up groups. my husband would join any group just about, and i was in-between depending on mood and the character i was playing at the time. some of us had friends outside of our trio as well.
    eventually, my eldest son joined our 'ranks' as well, he has mostly solo'd or plays in pick up groups. he also occasionally groups with myself and/or my husband.
    also - we wanted to acquire the benefits of a founder guild, the founder items, etc.
    basically - a glorified chat-room

i am the guild leader - out of convenience more or less.
    brother-in-law was made co-leader, because if for some reason succession needed to be relinquished it could be attained by someone in another household.
    most other members are technically 'officers', for the ease of recruiting our own toons and writing guild motd messages. we have a handful of 'members' because they are mostly un-played characters

we use the motd often, sometimes to leave messages for one another, but mostly for goofing off

we are pretty static, with some pick up grouping as well. my husband and especially my son pick up group much more than i do, i almost never do any more with the exception of raiding.
    brother-in-law no longer plays. he hasnt played in a year and a half.

there is another guild on our server, with a very similar name, that came out at some point after us. their guild-leader (or at least he was a few years ago) and i have been in contact with each-other in the past re: name similarities. friendly guy
    Last edited by Ahnya_DLucien; 04-24-2012 at 05:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    le sigh
    RESULTS BREAKDOWN: E.S.A.K.
    Explorer: 80%, Socializer: 67%, Achiever: 40%, Killer: 13%

GUILD NAME: Sivlerleaf Lineage

A friend and me needed a ship to switch between houses fast

2 people enjoying the game, that pretty much makes everyone leader/officer

Message of the day is used to p1ss eachother off () or to make the other jealous of some sort of achievement. No guild site, as quite obviously we are not the most serious die hard guild around... Oh and to write down guild renown so we can see how much decay there is the next day, because MAN that system/formula is complicated...

If both members are online we are in the same party, sometimes filling up as PUG, most of the time TR 2 characters not in a PuG... Raids and epics are pugged, since we are not cool enough to do those with just 2 guys.... yet (*tension raising drums)

Nop
    Last edited by BrightAsh; 04-25-2012 at 06:53 AM.
    Thelanis: Botar, Klogar, Saludar, Shantarr, Karygon

Hello guys. I am taking a class on Organizational Behavior and I have a few curiosities about guilds in this game. (This will serve as an informal survey and hopefully give me insight on future direction on what I want to do for my class and my Psych degree.)
    Feel free to answer, any or all of the questions.GUILD NAME:
    SERVER:
    IMPORTANT NOTES
    1. I would appreciate guild names. I would love to contact you in game if you I can learn more, plus I think it would serve as a nice collection of historical accounts from each guild.
    2. If there is some drama involved in your answers (conflict, issues with specific members and leadership, issues with other guilds) PLEASE PM me your answers. I would appreciate all the information but I would not want you to violate Forum policies.
    Thank you so much!
    The Unique. Thelanis.

1. I wanted a ship and my own guild.
    2. I'm the leader. I generally invite new players. I make everyone officers, because I don't believe in social hierarchies. My guild is solo friendly.
    3. None. I put an enthusiastic message every day so that people have something nice to read when they log in.
    4. We usually play our own game. Sometimes we join together - usually it's me helping someone achieve some goal they have.

Good luck with your degree!