I was helping a friend who was making his first Green Steel item and I sent him an email giving him some guidance. He emailed me back thanking me for the help and suggested that I post what I had sent him to the forums so others could benefit from it as well. So below is an edited and better formatted version of what I sent him. I hope it helps those seeking to make their first Green Steel item. Enjoy…
Green Steel is one of the most confusing things in the game and you can really bork it up if you are not careful.
It would really tick me off when people would say, “Just craft a Lit II” or “Just craft a SP item” and “Make it triple pos” because it is way more complicated than that and most of that will not make sense to anyone who has never made a Green Steel item. So I hope the following will help clear up some of that stuff up.
Let me start off by saying this link is the best guide I have found.... http://ddowiki.com/page/Green_Steel_item_crafting_steps
What I have below is more of an overview that will help you understand the guide on Wiki.
Your Green Steel Blank
With ingredients from the shroud flagging quests you make a green steel blank weapon or item.
Tier 1/Small Ingredients
With the small ingredients you get in the shroud you will make essences. With those essences you will alter the shards you have been picking up in the shroud. Then you will add the shard to your green steel blank. This is a tier 1 item. This is the page that shows the Tier 1 attributes... http://ddowiki.com/page/Altar_of_Inv...edient_Recipes
Be sure to notice that there are two columns on the attributes page. One is for weapons and the other is for items. I missed that the first 5 times I read through it
Tier 2/Medium Ingredients
With the medium ingredients you get in the shroud you will make essences. With those essences you will alter the shards you have been picking up in the shroud. Then you will add the shard to your green steel tier 1 item. This is a tier 2 item. This is the page that shows the Tier 2 attributes... http://ddowiki.com/page/Altar_of_Sub...edient_Recipes
Tier 3/Large Ingredients
With the large ingredients you get in the shroud you will make essences. With those essences you will alter the shards you have been picking up in the shroud. Then you will add the shard to your green steel Tier 2 item. This is a tier 3 item. This is the page that shows the Tier 3 attributes... http://ddowiki.com/page/Altar_of_Dev...edient_Recipes
Triple positive? Air/pos/air+pos? What does it all mean?
Each shard has a designation tied to it. It is different depending what essences you put with it in the altar. So a triple positive item/weapon is one that has a positive shard at Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3.
Now there are also several different kinds of positive shards, so you need to look through and make sure you are getting what you want.
But why is it important? Because with certain combinations of shards you get certain 'Aspect Properties'. You get one of these at Tier 2 and one at Tier 3. For example a Positive Tier 1 shard and a Positive Tier 2 shard will give you the Aspect of Positive Energy which adds a Raise Dead clicky to your item.
Some of the Tier 3 properties are double shards, meaning you have to make two Tier 3 shards and combine them before adding them to the weapon. The Concordant–Opposition and Lit II are both examples of these.
Here is a list of the Tier II Aspects... http://ddowiki.com/page/Altar_of_Sub...tional_Effects
Here is a list of the Tier III Aspects... http://ddowiki.com/page/Altar_of_Dev...tional_Effects
Now that you have a basic understanding of how green steel works, the next step is to start putting your ideas into a green steel crafting planner. This link will take you to a real good planner…
I know there are others out there but I think this one is the easiest to use and I like it the best.
Example 1 - Lit II Greataxe
Below is a brief overview of the process for a Lit II Great Axe. This is just one popular option. There are other ways to make a Lit II. That is part of the beauty of Green Steel, you have many options.
1. You make a blank Green Steel Great Axe - Pretty simple
2. Our end result is a Lit II (or Aspect of Lightning II) and that needs an Air Shard, a Positive Shard and then a double Air/Positive shard for the 3rd Tier.
3. We start with a Holy shard because that will work well against all the evil enemies and it is positive. Add it to the weapon and we have a Tier 1 Green Steel item
4. Next we add a Shocking Burst shard because it is the Air shard that will go with our positive shard. Add it to the weapon and we have a Tier 2 Green Steel item. Also, with the first shard being positive and the second being air we pick up the aspect of lightning which allows us to cast chain lightning twice a day.
5. Now for tier 3 we are doing a double shard because we want the Tier 3 Aspect Lightning Strike. So we craft a Positive/Good Blast shard and an Air/Shocking Blast shard. We combine those shards and add them to the weapon. This also gives us the Tier 3 Aspect Lightning Strike.
Now we can go out and kill stuff with it.
Here is a pic…
Example 2 – Triple Positive Green Steel Spell Point Goggles
Here is another example of a pretty common green steel item.
1. You make a Greensteel Goggles blank - Pretty simple
2. Our real goal here is Spell Points. Going triple positive gives us a +6 to our Charisma Skills (great for UMD) and also a raise dead clicky.
3. We start with a Wizardry VI positive shard for spell points and charisma skills. Add it to the goggles and we have a Tier 1 Greensteel item
4. Next we make a +50 spell point positive shard for more spell points and charisma skills. Add it to the goggles and we have a Tier 2 Greensteel item. Also, with the first shard being positive and the second being positive we pick up the aspect of positive energy which gives us our raise dead clicky.
5. Now for tier 3 we make a +100 spell point positive shard for more spell points and charisma skills. Add it to the goggles and we have a Tier 3 Greensteel item. Also, with all 3 shards being positive we pick up the aspect of positive energy II which gives us greater disruption guard.
Here is a pic…
I hope this helps you through your first green steel item or weapon.