Default Going to dm a game help!

I'm going to dm a game and it my first time dm-ing

warning contains poor gramar and spelling(mainly at the end)
    i will edit it tomorrow and make it neater

Its a custom campaign taking place in a mid-evil type setting
    basic first quest story
    A powerful(think kill a god and still have enough power to scare off the others powerful) enemy is severely weakened by a 'illness'.The king has employed you to attack him he is traveling with one of his allies known as jack the blood red devil(who is considered cruel murderous and immoral by there standards)(he doesnt fight the party, yet).The king warns
    you before you go that he is still powerful and to be careful.

name: salar'sasari the atrum(its latin for dark) aka death(in lore based on appearance)
    appearance: wheres a black cloak that covers his face mostly

class/type:mage that has melee(note has a 'illness' and is extremely weakened but still powerful)

attacks:
    shadow shape:shadow twist and form to form the shadow of a object
    has physical properties(aka a sword can slash a shield can block ect)but only that shadow is visible(can see with a spot check)

black lightning*
    a shadowy lightning burst from your finger tips
    cone
    moderate dark/energy damage and knock back

shadow fire*
    a black fire appears and burns even light everything till nothing is left
    area
    burn 1d4 squares with in a 4 block range any tile burned is considered total darkness and provides concealment if you are looking though it or total concealment if your in it
    if you are on fire you are dealt moderate necrotic/fire damage

shadow shift
    you apear at any place on the map and can make opportunity attacks against 2 opponents next to you with your dual swords auto hit and counts as sneak attack

melee*
    scythe counted as vorpal if target cant move/defend his/her self or is sneak attacked

dual daggers if target blocks 1 attack you get 1 extra attack at -5 penalty stacks up to 2

duals swords if used with shadow shift they auto hit and counts as a sneak attack also if wielded you gain 5+ to AC

total control
    you can choose a number lower then your damage roll and count that as the damage for any attacks

flesh regeneration free action
    you regain all hit points and gain ~5 dr but -10 to all rolls

'illness'
    you cough up black blood and fall to the ground in pain
    you can randomly lose a turn/action (no save) or take high damage

you are hit by a attack that would kill you
    the 'illness' take over and attacks anything that moves immediate interrupt

fast reflexes(if someone charges at you)
    side step
    you take one step to the side and gain a auto crit vs opponent
    deadly block
    you grab the charging opponent's arm and use black lightning at point blank range(high damage)

speed of darkness
    nothing travels father then darkness not even light
    you can roll initiative up to 6 times(he only will roll 2/3 in most fights in this one he rolls 3)

* means i need help with the damage and numbers

he has more abilities but these are the only he will use on this encounter

yes hes overpowered hes designed to be a end of campaign epic boss

here how it will most likely go
    i will make it tough to defeat him but not impossible

if they do defeat him the illness takes over almost kills then jack steps in before your dead and you wake up in a hospital with half the village waiting it the other room the king will give you a good amount of gold and have you trained up to level two after that you will remember that there are symbols of suppressed knowledge(basically you will gain a new paragon class for each class) placed on you.

if you lose you will wake up in a hut of a healer allied to salar'sasari each party member will find a symbol placed on them a few scrolls(new abilities for them) a good amount of money and a note in a language you can understand the only part you can read is over tie you will understand after that you will remember the symbols are symbols of suppressed knowledge(basically you will gain a new paragon class for each class and enough xp for level two)

so anything i could improve on?(im fairly new to dm-ing)
    like should i give them a mission before this instead of having them lose in the first encounter?
    change a ability? ect

i'm thinking hold off on your first quest idea til much later in the campaign.
    level 1 characters have much more mundane tasks to take care of:
    orc raiding parties, bandits, caravan guard duty is much more their speed.

theres nothing wrong with levelling from the first quest, but it's generally a
    bad idea to get the players thinking they're going to level every time they play.

also, as a DM i'm also dead set against the you lose and wake up in a hostpital
    idea. by doing that, you'll be telling the players that there are no
    ramifications to dieing/losing and cripple your campaign. risk, challenge,
    excitement, that's what makes pnp work.
    The Office of the Exchequer. 1750 on all live servers via Pure pugging. Thank you very much to all who helped carry a gimp . (wayfinder was a soloist build)

Community Member

I have to agree with Herzkos that this encounter seems a little over the top for level 1 characters. You are talking about having them fight a boss basically equal to Harry in DDO and most people won't even go after him till level 18+ and with all the best gear.

You also make no mention of the guards they will have to fight through just to get a glimpse of him. A boss like this won't travel alone when well let alone with an "illness" as you call it.

Might want to think about turning this into a story line instead of one quest. This way it will last over more than 1 session. Start by not having the king know everything about the boss.

Maybe a peasant has come to petion the king for some help. Strange little creatures have been harrassing our village. Food stores and livestock have been disappearing. Being a village of farmers we know not what to do. Being a "good" king he decides to send help in the way of mercanaries (your adventurers) instead of troops to investigate. This way if anything goes wrong since the village is close to the border he can deny any involvement.

Let your imagination run from there. Have the group find clues to the main boss while they investigate such as whatever mobs you use making reference to "The Boss".

Just some ideas that came to mind. Good luck on your first DM session. Just remember that no matter what you have planned be ready for the party to do something completely different.
    Last edited by justhavinfun; 08-07-2011 at 06:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by herzkos View Post
    i'm thinking hold off on your first quest idea til much later in the campaign.
    level 1 characters have much more mundane tasks to take care of:
    orc raiding parties, bandits, caravan guard duty is much more their speed.

theres nothing wrong with levelling from the first quest, but it's generally a
    bad idea to get the players thinking they're going to level every time they play.

also, as a DM i'm also dead set against the you lose and wake up in a hostpital
    idea. by doing that, you'll be telling the players that there are no
    ramifications to dieing/losing and cripple your campaign. risk, challenge,
    excitement, that's what makes pnp work.
    ok i got the hold it off till later

but in missions where you face off against sala- im just going to say Salar his name is long.
    salar wont kill you he rarely kills unless theres a good reason or if he decides its your time to die his objectives want as many people with power alive as possable

if they do die its
    A.get a Resurrection and its quite dificult in my campain due to magic being a rarity and many clerics believe Resurrection is a unholy act that is decided by kings and gods
    or
    B.break out of 'Hell' basicly hell is a prison in my campaign where they convert souls in to devil or demons the longer you stay in there the more evil you become salar's illness is a extremely strong case of it he suppressed it for a long time and it developed in to multiable alter egos the same can happen to the pc's ok so basicly if one member goes to get him back without resurrection they cast a ritual(cost some gold or something but no xp) that send them all in to break him out the lower you go the harder it is and the more quickly you develop the 'illness'(if you embrace it you will become part demon/devil you gain lots of power but at a high cost) if you dies in hell you come back in 1d10 rounds where your body is (aka if someone dies defend there body or a guard can send it back to the cell)

either way its a pain if someone dies

also would level 5-6 be a good level to give them this quest?

ps ty for your help

Quote Originally Posted by justhavinfun View Post
    I have to agree with Herzkos that this encounter seems a little over the top for level 1 characters. You are talking about having them fight a boss basically equal to Harry in DDO and most people won't even go after him till level 18+ and with all the best gear.

You also make no mention of the guards they will have to fight through just to get a glimpse of him. A boss like this won't travel alone when well let alone with an "illness" as you call it.

Might want to think about turning this into a story line instead of one quest. This way it will last over more than 1 session. Start by not having the king know everything about the boss.

Maybe a peasant has come to petion the king for some help. Strange little creatures have been harrassing our village. Food stores and livestock have been disappearing. Being a village of farmers we know not what to do. Being a "good" king he decides to send help in the way of mercanaries (your adventurers) instead of troops to investigate. This way if anything goes wrong since the village is close to the border he can deny any involvement.

Let your imagination run from there. Have the group find clues to the main boss while they investigate such whatever mobs you use making reference to "The Boss".

Just some ideas that came to mind. Good luck on your first DM session. JUst remember htat no matter what you have planned be ready for the party to do something completely different.

ok hold out on the main quest for a few levels

There are no guards with him,hes traveling and it is part of a storyline(it starts as a dark wizard is sick go kill him to finding out about the 'illness' ,the story line behind them,exporing the ruins in the darklands (i didnt tell you alot on the post))

as far as the knowledge the king has he will tell you hes a dark wizard wearing a black robe i put his abilaties so i could get advice on them
    or if your talking about him having the 'illness' then the kings spies found that out

btw ty for your help and the first-first quest idea

edit at harry's level? think the black abbot if he accended to godhood then double his power and thats him at his full power(he will be at it when the characters are level 30(may find a few abilities and make level 40 possible))
    epic boss fight to end the campaign
    Last edited by chrisgina39; 08-07-2011 at 06:47 AM.