Community Member

Default Low level monk gear

Just wondering if people can give me some insight to what gear I should be going for from 1-10ish

I'm using complete **** atm and I'm level 4.. just kinda frustrating to watch all these other guys run around doing 5x more than I am.. Suggestions?

If you have Devotion from Delara's that is nice if you are lawful good. If not, Fernian Wraps from Threnal Chain is also fairly useful early on. You should be looking for holy/pg or holy/bleed, or some sort of burst/bleed or pg. That should last you until about 10. Stonedust wraps (from Lordsmarch chain) are nice at 10 to about where you equip some +10 stunning wraps - take the time to get them vampiric, especially if you are a dark monk.

For armor, try to craft some invulnerability robes, which should stay on for a good while. Till about 10 to be honest. Jidz-teka from House D chain is nice, as well as some of the Red Fens sets. Abishai from Chronoscope is decent for a bit as well. Obviously try to boost your main stats, STR/DEX/CON/WIS what have you, as much as you can per level.
    Last edited by DrunkenBuddha; 08-06-2011 at 06:00 PM.
    Originally Posted by Eladrin
    I often word things in ways that cause the most speculation and panic, because I'm capricious and mean.
    Argo: Cydia - Ariasa

This is generally the gear I run with from L1 to about L9-10. None of it is very hard to acquire.

Goggles - Goggles of Insight from Korthos or blindness immunity goggles
    Necklace - Pathfinder set from Korthos
    Trinket - Voice of the Master from Delera's
    Headgear - Wisdom or Concentration item
    Cloak - Resistance +2/+3 or Protection +2/+3 or Mantle of the World Shaper (Threnal chain)
    Robes - Light/Medium/Heavy Fortification, Invulnerability, alternatively Robe of Winter (Stormcleve Outpost) or Sewer Smock (Waterworks) -- I switch robes out a lot while playing depending on the situation
    Bracers - Black Widow bracers from Waterworks, then Jidz Teka bracers from Sentinels of Stormreach chain
    Boots - Pathfinder set from Korthos
    Belt, Gloves, 1 Ring - Try to fit Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution item in here
    Ring - Engraved Ring from Korthos (+1 to AC) or Arlyn's Ring (from Gwylan's Stand)

Handwraps - Devotion from Delera's, Eternal Rest from Catacombs, Fernian Wraps from Threnal Chain, and Acid of Pure Good or Acid of Bleeding. If you are a stunner, get some stunning wraps as well. I am very situational on which handwraps I use, which means I (sadly) carry about 10-12 pair. This helps me do more damage, though.

There are also many items you can work toward getting during the many events DDO has. When the Mabar event comes this fall you will definitely want to make some Mabar handwraps and the cloak of night (I think that is the name). You can icy burst your favorite non-named handwraps during the next Risia event. There are good items from the Crystal Cove (hats, buccaneer ring, etc). These items only are available during the events.

Good luck with outfitting your monk.

I didn't do too much at lvl 4. Most good gear starts at lvl 5...

Get holy wraps of anything as fast as possible then run delera's chain for the master's voice and devotion wraps. Get eternal rest as mentioned above also - took me 4 times of grinding the catacombs before I got the wraps. Devotion took 2 runs. Delera's is great xp and it's easy to get in at lvl 5. Holy wraps are a must for the quest.

I still use my +1holy +10 stun wraps a lot at lvl 20.
    +10 vertigo wraps are good also - I used trip, SB, and SF a lot at early levels. Got rid of SB later on and don't use trip anymore.

I never messed with concentration items when I TR'd - if something I wore had it, all the better. I never missed it.

+str/con/wis are most important, +dex is OK but a FF item is better. Goggles of time-sense and charged gauntlets from chronoscope raid are a must. I still use both.
    Stay Hasted My Friend.

I don't remember what my monk wore at level 4. Seemed largely irrelevant. Perhaps your build is not optimal?

My guy is pretty twinked out - full Chronoscope set + Jidz Tetka + Grim's Bracelet. His robe is nothing special. Just a standard issue acid guard/moderate fortification, I think.

I have a bunch of wraps, but nothing overly impressive. I used my starter (veteran) wraps for quite a while. Those were fiery burst wraps.
    Cannith:
    Brigette; Completionist! || Aoeryn; Wiz20(3rd life).

id definitely go chrono in the early levels. Get that bonus str point, the extra ac, and the gears alright to. Definitely wanna get heavy fort as fast as possible, but until you can moderate fort is good and delera's gives it at quest completion for lv 4 or 5 I believe. Once you get ur average gear the only thing u'll have to worry about is a shaman getting lucky and scoring a lightning bolt hit twice. It's not to hard to get the chrono gear as everyone's always running it with 20's for loot. You can pretty much pike the entrance. 2 of the items are usually given as an option as a quest reward.

After that then you'd start to hunt for better items like sora kell set, garments of equilibrium are great. They're in the lordsmarch p2p sentinals quests, extra dmg, heavy fort, tack on a adam ritual and they're perfect.

Grind at Splinterskull for the ML5 loot: +3str/dex/con.
    I ended up with +3con and +3str on this run. Replaced with chrono loot when I got it.
    Stay Hasted My Friend.

Community Member

Default Spot on

Quote Originally Posted by AZ1JoeT View Post
    This is generally the gear I run with from L1 to about L9-10. None of it is very hard to acquire.

Goggles - Goggles of Insight from Korthos or blindness immunity goggles
    Necklace - Pathfinder set from Korthos
    Trinket - Voice of the Master from Delera's
    Headgear - Wisdom or Concentration item
    Cloak - Resistance +2/+3 or Protection +2/+3 or Mantle of the World Shaper (Threnal chain)
    Robes - Light/Medium/Heavy Fortification, Invulnerability, alternatively Robe of Winter (Stormcleve Outpost) or Sewer Smock (Waterworks) -- I switch robes out a lot while playing depending on the situation
    Bracers - Black Widow bracers from Waterworks, then Jidz Teka bracers from Sentinels of Stormreach chain
    Boots - Pathfinder set from Korthos
    Belt, Gloves, 1 Ring - Try to fit Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution item in here
    Ring - Engraved Ring from Korthos (+1 to AC) or Arlyn's Ring (from Gwylan's Stand)

Handwraps - Devotion from Delera's, Eternal Rest from Catacombs, Fernian Wraps from Threnal Chain, and Acid of Pure Good or Acid of Bleeding. If you are a stunner, get some stunning wraps as well. I am very situational on which handwraps I use, which means I (sadly) carry about 10-12 pair. This helps me do more damage, though.

There are also many items you can work toward getting during the many events DDO has. When the Mabar event comes this fall you will definitely want to make some Mabar handwraps and the cloak of night (I think that is the name). You can icy burst your favorite non-named handwraps during the next Risia event. There are good items from the Crystal Cove (hats, buccaneer ring, etc). These items only are available during the events.

Good luck with outfitting your monk.
    All I have is what gets dropped. I (Luckily) got a pair of +1 Holy wraps.... they are AWESOME at Level 4(just dinged 5) and did the entire catacomb run and got the eternal rest wraps. When you are fighting undead they are like a freaking chainsaw against them...

I just love the self-heal of the Monk (KEEP CONCENTRATION AND HEAL MAXED) I did run the lower levels of it with a cleric since I was running them on Elite at Level 4.

Cannith challenge gear can be very useful - the lowest frozen tunic could be worn for quite some time and still be good against enemies, and spare hand would also be beneficial but I think that you would be better off upgrading to higher level base items to benefit from the better stun/parry.

Challenges are also nice xp, relatively easy to farm out, and can be done even without the pack via the daily token, it just takes longer is all.

If you have Slavers or Sorrowdusk you can have a very good power boost at 8 with items like the quicksilver cassock, and crafted gear, ring of power etc.

Otherwise, current loot gen would be probably enough for the most part - and even check out the plat auction house for a cheeky deal.
    Just look for the best natural armour/protection/dex/wis/con item selection you can find. If you can find a shield clicky (should drop around your level), you will be golden.

Your melee and staying power will increase dramatically at lv 6 anyway, assuming that you are building for whirlwind and take shadow fade.

craft a lvl 2 robe of Invulnerability (crafting lvl 250)
    lvl 3 bracers of wind for cannith challenge mats
    trinket from crystal cove event
    lvl 4 frozen tunic for cannith challenges mats
    some vorpal handwraps for every few lvl
    lvl 2 eternal rest from catacombs
    lvl 2 maybe weeping handwraps (the captives)
    definetly scorching wraps from 3bc (enternal chest right at the beginning)
    --------------
    (lvl 7 toee handwraps if you have them)
    lvl 8 frozen tunic, slot heavy fort
    cloak of invisibility from tempest spine, goggles and choker are nice too
    lvl 10 stonedust handwraps or new ones from RL
    (lvl 10 giantcraft robe (relic turn in in GH) if you don't have the frozen tunic)
    -------------
    if you want to run reaper: red slot vorpal handwraps if you are lucky in finding them. slot a ruby of ghostbane from marbar festival or ah

i drink a lot of ability pots until i get +4 or higher stat items
    Last edited by TitusOvid; 01-04-2018 at 12:36 AM. Reason: pots
    Beste, Titus. | playing since 2009 | Don't do the fun wrong | New to Orien? Join the ingame Titan Channel | Soko Irrlicht freut sich immer über neue Mitglieder | Deutscher Discord | Orien Raiding Discord Toons: Titusovid , Bruder, Upload, Zzed, (Rubbel)

The most important piece of gear honestly is a good pair of boots of speed to get your striding up to 30% as fast as possible. You can usually find a +30% striding boots by about level 7 or 9.

My core idea is a) to put things in slots that are easy-ish to find an the AH b) Try to keep ring slots free as much as I can since you can put a wide variety of stuff on there.

As a monk you are probably DEX based? So you want CON, DEX, WIS, Speed, dodge, protection, resistance, fortification, Sheltering. Then stuff like blur,

My setup usually looks something like below: Then you can swap in and out slaver's gear as you go.

Boots: best speed boots you can buy on the Auction house (as long as they have +30% striding). You can find +15% by level 6 (or 4 is youre lucky).

Helm: WIS and Accuracy (Can find this on the AH)
    Goggles: Seeker and Deadly (also on the AH but might be tougher to find)
    Cloak: I usually run a featherfall / dodge.
    These slots can't be slaver's crafted, so these slots can be named items, crafted items or random loot.

Trinket: whatever you want here, usually Voice of Master from delera's tomb.
    Boots: Anything of speed from the Auction house.

Stuff that can be easily slaver's crafted.
    Belt: I put False life and CON here. You can usually find a FalseLife/con belt on the auction house.
    Bracers: Bracer's of wind is super handy for the blur.

Necklace: You really, really want the +stunning here. The very first slaver's item I make is a Sheltering/Resistance/Stunning necklace and I don't take it off until about level 18 when I put on my Shintao or Oremi's. The huge advantage of +stunning on your gear is you don't need it on your wraps, which frees up a lot.

If you have access to Slaver's and a high level toon (or a friend with a high level toon), you can run heroic slaver's and put together an astonishingly good gear set at level 8. A full run of 1, 2, 3 can yield almost a single completed item per run. I wear my slaver's set almost all the way to 18, just switching things out for the two greensteel items I have.
    Kodraith / Xanxibar / Xinibar / Lensgrinder :: Lava Divers of Khyber :: I'm a monk. I hit things; it's what I do.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by AZ1JoeT View Post

I am really surprised people don't know about http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Weeping_Handwraps - I quite enjoy those.

With your flurry of fists though ... you can even get random loot gen vorpals at like level 1 too. Always have a full look at your loot list Those are nice to find.

I find if I taken Power Attack, Cleave and Great Cleave as soon as I can it really helps - and don't worry you can swap the feats out later (although start collecting and crunching shards ... http://ddowiki.com/page/Siberys_Dragonshard )

As for gear ... well you could farm for labelled stuff .. http://ddowiki.com/page/Items like ... http://ddowiki.com/page/Category:Wrist_items (and you can click on ML 2x to sort to see)...

Levels 1-4 I kind of survive on loot gen and I buy stacks of bulls strength, jump, faith +3(from house J), barkskin pots and have a shield clickie (hard to find ... )

Level 5 you have Chrono gear if you like ... the gloves are nice if you can just get those

Level 8 ... depending on how keen you are there is slavers gear .. even if you don't craft anything the helms are quite nice

Level 10 ... Barovian gear is delightful ... those handwraps are great straight after mists...

Hard to compete with people with a lot of past lives though. I'm happy to take it a bit slower and do what I can.
    ~ Crimson Eagles of Khyber ~
    ~ Melicient ~ Melianny ~ Melinator ~ Melizzic ~ Melton ~ Melvanwy ~ Mellant ~ Melangst ~

2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TitusOvid View Post
    craft a lvl 2 robe of Invulnerability (crafting lvl 250)
    lvl 3 bracers of wind for cannith challenge mats
    trinket from crystal cove event
    lvl 4 frozen tunic for cannith challenges mats
    some vorpal handwraps for every few lvl
    lvl 2 eternal rest from catacombs
    lvl 2 maybe weeping handwraps (the captives)
    definetly scorching wraps from 3bc (enternal chest right at the beginning)
    --------------
    (lvl 7 toee handwraps if you have them)
    lvl 8 frozen tunic, slot heavy fort
    cloak of invisibility from tempest spine, goggles and choker are nice too
    lvl 10 stonedust handwraps or new ones from RL
    (lvl 10 giantcraft robe (relic turn in in GH) if you don't have the frozen tunic)
    -------------
    if you want to run reaper: red slot vorpal handwraps if you are lucky in finding them. slot a ruby of ghostbane from marbar festival or ah

i drink a lot of ability pots until i get +4 or higher stat items
    oh yeah frozen tunic is great ... level 4 will last you a long time

also good point on eternal rest handwraps. not being able to hit ethereal stuff is a pain ... and now that ghostbane doesn't seem to drop at all you have to go out of your way to find some way to do so.
    ~ Crimson Eagles of Khyber ~
    ~ Melicient ~ Melianny ~ Melinator ~ Melizzic ~ Melton ~ Melvanwy ~ Mellant ~ Melangst ~

Quote Originally Posted by flipwon View Post
    ...just kinda frustrating to watch all these other guys run around doing 5x more than I am.. Suggestions?
    As a blind guess... not be a first life toon?

A lot of those "other guys" have multiple past lives, so enjoy crazy inherent boosts to damage/DC's/PRR/etc.

It's not all in the gear.

Random loot Vorpal wraps with critical blunt damage or level drain work pretty well.
    You can find them on the AH occasionally.
    I used to think Scorching Wraps were boss but don't use them much anymore. Easy to get in 3BC wilderness.

I have a pair of low level Ghostbane wraps that handle any undead except Delera's skeletons. The Catacombs wraps work well enough for Delera's if you don't have another Good/Holy wrap item.

Cannith Crafted wraps are decent for 1-13.

I swap gear at level 4 & 8 (Slavers gear). I Use random loot robes until the Quicksilver Cassock at 8.
    Basically, like any melee class you need good gear. Resistance, Deadly, Fortification, Speed (&/or Alacrity), Dodge, + Abilities, etc are all important. Accuracy used to be irrelevant but seems necessary nowadays.
    Also look for ways to add Melee Power & PRR (Henshin enhancements - although they are nerfing that real soon.)

I still use Stone of Change & Festival crafting to boost my items whenever I can.
    Last edited by hp1055cm; 03-30-2018 at 10:50 AM.

Now I wonder if the OP still even plays monk since it has been 7 years.

But I used scorching wraps early on!

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flipwon View Post
    Just wondering if people can give me some insight to what gear I should be going for from 1-10ish

I'm using complete **** atm and I'm level 4.. just kinda frustrating to watch all these other guys run around doing 5x more than I am.. Suggestions?
    The Cannith Challenge robes are amazing. It will change your life. And you're at the perfect level for it.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Frozen_Tunic
    ML4 still gives you the Freezing Ice benefit.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Yamani View Post
    Now I wonder if the OP still even plays monk since it has been 7 years.
    A general question thread like this can stay useful to all concerned.

@ All - Just make sure you take anything before the necro jump from '11 to '18, and/or take anything before then with a grain of salt. (e.g. +3 stats @ ML 5 is sub-standard now.)