Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Weapon Recipes

2016 DDO Players Council Stoner81's Avatar

Going to make it on a BTA quarterstaff I have and see how it goes with it, it's less DPS than say a maul but it means it can be used for all classes and since it's for my TR toon it makes more sense for me. Even though DPS is lacking on them I find having Haste (pot/s) and Haste Boost (Rogue/Fighter) you can't half churn out damage pretty quick

Stoner.

Community Member DogstarPhotography's Avatar

What about weapons for Cannith Challenges? I'm running them mostly at lowish level (5-9) with a couple of characters dedicated toit so getting a specific set of weapons for each challenge would be helpful.

For Circles of Power/Colossal Crystals/Kobold Chaos I'm assuming a trusty Screaming of Bleed weapon will suffice and for The Disruptor obviously an undead basher, but what about the phantasms, gargoyles and elementals in Behind the Door/Moving Targets? andwhat should I craft to deal with the animated armors and reavers? (or whatever they are) in The Dragon's Hoard?

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Undead (Skeletons, Wraiths)

Ghost Touch Flametouched Iron <bludgeon> of (Greater) Undead Bane

Incorporeal monsters (mostly wraiths) start to show up around level 5, but thankfully Ghost Touch requires a very low level in crafting so this weapon is typically the first weapon you'll craft using the Lesser Undead Bane version.

The Flametouched Iron material makes it a good-aligned weapon, so it will be effective against the ghostly skeletons in Delera's. While a Holy weapon of Undead Bane would deal more damage for skeleton-heavy quests like Delera's, making a generic all-in-one undead weapon is a good way to conserve pack space and reduce crafting costs.

Disruption is a much better undead suffix than Undead Bane, but Disruption is not a craftable suffix. If you find a good Disruption weapon, use that instead. Note that Triple Positive greensteel weapons are best of all against undead, so the longterm plan should be to aim for that. A crafted alternative is an excellent placeholder until you get the greensteel weapon.

Note: Your main slashing weapon will work fine against zombies.

ML5: Ghost Touch of Undead Bane
    ML7: +1 Ghost Touch of Undead Bane
    ML13: +4 Ghost Touch of Undead Bane

I can attest from experience that the ML5 version will serve you well doing Delera's on level 5. Ideally you get the +1 onto the weapon as quickly as possible because wraiths have dr/magic, and the only thing that counts as magic is an enhancement bonus. The +1 version will be good enough until 13, then remake the weapon "finish" it off.

Because Undead Bane requires a soul gem you may not want to have to craft it more than once. In that case, the lesser bane version works fine. This is also the path to take if you're just starting to level your crafter:

ML3: Ghost Touch of Lesser Undead Bane
    ML5: +1 Ghost Touch of Lesser Undead Bane
    ML9: +3 Ghost Touch of Lesser Undead Bane
    ML13: +4 Ghost Touch of Undead Bane

Both Ghost Touch and Lesser Undead Bane are cheap and easy to craft, so remaking that version of the weapon isn't a hardship. The ML5 version isn't quite as nice in delera's -- 1d6 less damage per swing -- but will still get the job done.
    Excellent suggestions as always! Thank you for the thoughtful work. Great resource.

I have difficulty getting the soul gems for some of the recipes, but otherwise they seem spot on. I would suggest also for undead beaters the challenge mournlode weapons. I am sure you have already considered this but thought i would mention it.

I have a level 16 tier3 that I can use from level 14 with masterful; I then add Holy and Lesser Undead bane for another 3d6 (I seem to recall that Lesser Undead Bane stacks with the existing Greater Undead bane suffix on mournlode weapons, oddly enough, but will test it when I get back to the upper levels).

It is also cheaper on the resources to re-craft challenge weapons through multiple lives.

They do not have the instakill of disruption weapons but their flexibility with the tier 3 makes them very useful. One could have them from level 10 up to 20 with the level 12 tier 3. I suppose one could even make the level 8 with masterfuls and use it at level 6.

I usually have the Ring of the Stalker on also so I do not have issues with the ethereal/ghostly hit needs.

The Flaming Sphere Scroll Fan Club -- Join Now! Free Subscripton via DDO Forums!
    stealth guides: EE Old Tomb, New Tenants; EE Tide Turns; Weave in the Fade; visit Spencerian's Stealth Guide
    Squire of the Silver Legion, Cannith (Saekee); add me in-game!

Yeah, mournlode weapons are solid against undead.
    If you are crafting Mournlode weapons for undead anyway you could also craft the Mourlode Armor (especially the Docent or Chain Shirt):

http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Mournlode_Armors

As always great thread/resource!

Quote Originally Posted by DogstarPhotography View Post
    What about weapons for Cannith Challenges? I'm running them mostly at lowish level (5-9) with a couple of characters dedicated toit so getting a specific set of weapons for each challenge would be helpful.

For Circles of Power/Colossal Crystals/Kobold Chaos I'm assuming a trusty Screaming of Bleed weapon will suffice and for The Disruptor obviously an undead basher, but what about the phantasms, gargoyles and elementals in Behind the Door/Moving Targets? andwhat should I craft to deal with the animated armors and reavers? (or whatever they are) in The Dragon's Hoard?
    Gargoyles in Rushmore's Mansion are actually constructs (even though they appear as Gargoyles in Monster Manual), so best weapon against them is Mace of Smiting, if you can get it. If you cannot, +1 of Greater Construct Bane should be ML 6. +1 Frost of Construct Bane is also ML 6.

I mentioned Frost because Gargoyle statues seem to be immune or resistant to acid and fire, but not to cold. Animated armor seem to be resistant to everything.

Phantasms in Rushmore's Mansion are True Neutral humans, so holy does not work on them, but stat drain does. Weakening of Human Bane (no plusses) is ML 8, and Acid Burst/Icy Burst/etc. of Human Bane is ML 6.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Well, here are the weapons my challenge farmer uses. He's level 16 forever, so all weapons listed are ML16. Scaling them down for lower level versions shouldn't be overly difficult:

Trash: +5 Screaming of Pure Good (Greater Acid)
    Undead: ML16 Wraps of Endless Light
    Constructs: +4 Smiting w/risia festival icy burst
    Evil Outsiders: +5 Holy of Greater Evil Outsider Bane
    Giants: +4 Acid of Greater Giant Bane (Greater Acid)
    Gregor: +5 Holy of Greater Monstrous Humanoid Bane
    Emergency: +3 Screaming Flametouch Threaded of Vampirism

The emergency wraps are for when boss fights go pear-shaped, or mansion runs where someone stirs up a ton of aggro and I get swarmed by mobs. They're super dusty, almost never getting use.

This golf bag is more streamlined than it might otherwise be in that my challenge farmer natively breaks all metal-based dr as well as ghost touch with any wraps he uses.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by mna View Post
    (Red slot on a cold iron weapon)

Um. So byeshk and silver rubies can be had from random loot? Haven't noticed any in the auction house yet, at _any_ price. (Then again I usually sort by price and stop browsing at the first 6-figure prices...)
    I think it might be worthwhile to note that the Mabar silver+solar ruby is very nice. Also, manageable minimum level (1 or something...) so the random-loot red-slotted cold iron blank is one of the most useful things around, nowadays. And such weapons do seem to be dropping every now and then, several of my toons have one of those by now.

Holy of Evil Outsider Bane is nice with that, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by DogstarPhotography View Post
    ... apropos of Cannith Challenges, what about the weapons FROM them?

I've been thinking about what'd be the best thing to craft into a ML12 tier 3 Cannith Elemental Greataxe - it already has Metalline and a bunch of fire-type stuff, and room for +3 in crafting shards. (Not that I have a tier 3 one yet, but a couple of toons have level 12 tier 1s.)

Aligned, for a Metalline+Aligned greataxe? Holy of Bleed? True Chaos of Righteousness for UMD-capable toons?

And the Mournlode weapons... they have neither Ghost Touch, nor Silver for vampires, "out of the box" even at tier 3, so... Ghost Touch of Pure Good for those who can use Pure Good? Metalline for high-level crafters?
    Last edited by mna; 04-12-2014 at 05:07 PM.
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).
    Away from the game most of 2015.

Mind Flayers have DR/Byeshk. Wiki lists beholders and mind flayers as being Lawful Evil, but as creatures from Xoriat I'm pretty sure they're chaotic.
    No, all mind flayers and almost all beholders in DDO are lawful. I routinely use Anarchic weapons on them, and they take full damage. The one exception are Chaos Beholders, which seem to be unaffected by Anarchic nor Axiomatic weapons (neutral evil?).
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

I think it might be worthwhile to note that the Mabar silver+solar ruby is very nice. Also, manageable minimum level (1 or something...) so the random-loot red-slotted cold iron blank is one of the most useful things around, nowadays. And such weapons do seem to be dropping every now and then, several of my toons have one of those by now.

Holy of Evil Outsider Bane is nice with that, of course.

... apropos of Cannith Challenges, what about the weapons FROM them?

I've been thinking about what'd be the best thing to craft into a ML12 tier 3 Cannith Elemental Greataxe - it already has Metalline and a bunch of fire-type stuff, and room for +3 in crafting shards. (Not that I have a tier 3 one yet, but a couple of toons have level 12 tier 1s.)

Aligned, for a Metalline+Aligned greataxe? Holy of Bleed? True Chaos of Righteousness for UMD-capable toons?

And the Mournlode weapons... they have neither Ghost Touch, nor Silver for vampires, "out of the box" even at tier 3, so... Ghost Touch of Pure Good for those who can use Pure Good? Metalline for high-level crafters?
    good point but remember that a tier 3 mournlode is craftable--you can add ghost touch. I always have a stalker ring and at level (?) it comes with ghost touch.

The Flaming Sphere Scroll Fan Club -- Join Now! Free Subscripton via DDO Forums!
    stealth guides: EE Old Tomb, New Tenants; EE Tide Turns; Weave in the Fade; visit Spencerian's Stealth Guide
    Squire of the Silver Legion, Cannith (Saekee); add me in-game!

I've been thinking about what'd be the best thing to craft into a ML12 tier 3 Cannith Elemental Greataxe
    Righteousness is the clear winner in terms of suffixes, even for a UMD or good aligned character simply because it does most of the damage of pure good for half the cost. It doesn't hurt neutral, though, so if you plan to use the weapon on neutral mobs then I suppose pure good has some value.

Metalline's not terrible on mournlode weapons, but I'd probably go with flaming of undead bane. It's rare I don't have a ghostly item equipped permanently by level 12.

Community Member

Default Giant beater

Hi

Can i ask for a recipe for a good giant beater or a good set of giant beaters?

I want to run Stealer of Souls and its hard to find a party nowdays, so i may have to run it solo, and need to improve my damage against the giants.

Consider 2 handed wepons (greataxes, mauls, etc.). I usually dont use staffs, but can be a solution also.

Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by Jocal View Post
    Hi

Can i ask for a recipe for a good giant beater or a good set of giant beaters?

I want to run Stealer of Souls and its hard to find a party nowdays, so i may have to run it solo, and need to improve my damage against the giants.

Consider 2 handed wepons (greataxes, mauls, etc.). I usually dont use staffs, but can be a solution also.

Thanks for the help
    Are you soloing in normal? that place is a nightmare in elite with a ungeared toon. For Sorjek you need a blunt + holy to break his dr so any holy maul of X should suffice, of course the best weapon for him is a blunt triple positive gs (holy + good burst + good blast + improved disruption).

For the giants a +x holy (axe/maul/etc) of (greater) Giant bane should get the work done. Thats asuming that they are all evil, i am only sure that the ice giants are.

If you dont want to make the bet on holy, swap it for something like acid or shock burst since fire and ice will be resisted there.

For giants I'm partial to +5 Acid Burst of Greater Giant Bane, mainly because it does extra damage to trolls, which are giants.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeonAureo View Post
    Are you soloing in normal? that place is a nightmare in elite with a ungeared toon. For Sorjek you need a blunt + holy to break his dr so any holy maul of X should suffice, of course the best weapon for him is a blunt triple positive gs (holy + good burst + good blast + improved disruption).

For the giants a +x holy (axe/maul/etc) of (greater) Giant bane should get the work done. Thats asuming that they are all evil, i am only sure that the ice giants are.

If you dont want to make the bet on holy, swap it for something like acid or shock burst since fire and ice will be resisted there.

I am considering elite, and for what i know Sorjek is only optional. I am considering crafting at least 2 wepons. I could build a holy and put acid on a red slot...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jocal View Post
    I am considering elite, and for what i know Sorjek is only optional. I am considering crafting at least 2 wepons. I could build a holy and put acid on a red slot...

Thanks
    To be honest i hadnt considerated sorjek being optional, it truly is but his chest is where you get the sovereign rune. And other than favor (and the rune) i dont see why would run that quest is not easy or great xp after all.

If you are really going for it, try leveling to 21 and get a greataxe of the weapon master ( i know, not the best to say in a crafted weapons post)
    the raw damage from that one should (maybe) out dps a crafted one, or if you are masochist get the epic greataxe of fire from cannith challenges, easy to get to tier 1 in a day and is not a terrible weapon at all, it out dps the epic antique greataxe against fire resistance lower than 30, of course there are lots of fire immune mobs there.

Your idea of the acid sloted weapon is great too.

Good luck in that place

Community Member

I made the "ML7: Wounding of Ranged Alacrity" recipe on a Gxbow with a red augment slot. It turned out to have a min level of 10, not 9 as I was expecting. I thought augment slots added 2 to the min level?
    Union workers are not issued weapons because of 'the last time.'

Quote Originally Posted by Kompera_Oberon View Post
    I made the "ML7: Wounding of Ranged Alacrity" recipe on a Gxbow with a red augment slot. It turned out to have a min level of 10, not 9 as I was expecting. I thought augment slots added 2 to the min level?
    The OP and early replies are from 2011 and are out-dated. They 'updated' a lot of the affixes since then. ...sadly.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post
    The OP and early replies are from 2011 and are out-dated. They 'updated' a lot of the affixes since then. ...sadly.
    Ah! Ok, so I see. Thanks for the info. A one level difference isn't so terrible, unless you weren't expecting it. But it is nice to get what you are expecting when you craft something.
    Union workers are not issued weapons because of 'the last time.'

2016 DDO Players Council Stoner81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kompera_Oberon View Post
    Ah! Ok, so I see. Thanks for the info. A one level difference isn't so terrible, unless you weren't expecting it. But it is nice to get what you are expecting when you craft something.
    The formula for calculating minimum levels changed quite some time ago when they altered how random loot works, as a result it also threw Cannith Crafting a bit of a curve ball. I have had the formula shown to me I just can't remember it or explain it (maths was/is never my strong suit).

Stoner81.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345