Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Weapon Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by Henky View Post
    Quick question.

Have a silver handwraps and a crafter of 100+ level on each type.

Whats better for evil outsiders? +5 Anarchic Burst of GLOB? Have TOD rings with Holy Burst and Shocking Burst.
    I would say anarchic burst is the best prefix you can use, but I don't really know anything about monks. I do know from experience that a negative level is inconsequential, so I wouldn't worry about that.

I think Holy stacks with Holy Burst ToD ring, but Anarchic Burst is better than regular Holy.

Default tag for later

+1 rep thanks for the info

Community Member

my own experience on low-level crafting (got a leveling toon atm):

prefix: spikes can be added easily to 1H weapons, cost only +1, doesn't work for 2H though.
    suffix: agree with poster above, a lot of mobs are subject to bleed, even constructs and ellies, costs +1

so 2x crafted +1 silver blessed spiked scimitar of bleeding (ML:5) were working just well on my TWF FVS ;-)
    (silver+blessed comes from ddo store item, i am using these as blanks and craft something new when needed)
    Last edited by v.p.; 01-18-2012 at 09:01 AM.

I updated the thread to account for U13 adding UMD checks to cannith crafted items. (Pure Good, True Law, True Chaos)

I finally own all the packs except Restless Isles, and having recently TRed and leveled up again I used that experience to fine tune some of these recipes.

The schedule and writeup for the devil/vampire and demon weapons got updated, I added an addendum to the range weapon, and I removed the virtually useless True Neutral weapon and cannibalized its spot for a personal favorite, the Hot & Cold weapons.

Updated the demon weapon for high-end crafters. Xoriat demons always annoyed me, since I'd either use my regular demon beater and not break dr, or my aberration beater and get no bane. I finally decided on metalline flametouched iron of evil outsider bane, but you need divine level 90 to even attempt metalline so this is only a solution for accomplished crafters.

Quote Originally Posted by Henky View Post
    Quick question.

Have a silver handwraps and a crafter of 100+ level on each type.

Whats better for evil outsiders? +5 Anarchic Burst of GLOB? Have TOD rings with Holy Burst and Shocking Burst.
    Let me answer for the thread record for others who ask this, although I'm sure you've figured it out by now:

If you take all three Shintao Monk enhancements by Level 18 ("Fists of Light" Monks only) your unarmed attacks naturally bypass Byeshk, Cold Iron, and Silver (You get Magic, Lawful, and Adamantine as you level). So, with Holy- and Shocking Burst "Tower of Despair" rings (congrats on unlocking two Incredible Potential rings; these effects work only for unarmed attacks), you can add additional punishing effects to a crafted handwrap set and don't even need to find metallic handwraps. With your Holy Burst ring equipped, your bare fists are effectively living "Holy Burst Metalline" (an effect you can't get on actual weapons since both are prefixes and properties). So your mission is just to add more damage from your wraps for your needs, foregoing the worry to bypass DR.

If you're a "Fists of Darkness" Monk, then yes, treat your handwraps as any other Silver weapon and craft with the formulas in this thread. These crafted wraps are working as of Update 16.1, but sometimes they break due to various patches: keep wary.

As of Update 14, Monks can't wear any Anarchic/Chaos handwraps without a negative level (Unstable Handwraps excluded) but the loss of a level temporarily may be good against what Maruts or other constructs you find. Don't bother stacking Holy Burst wraps with ToD Holy Burst rings--these effects don't stack.

So, yes, +5 Anarchic- Greater Outsider Bane handwraps should be great for maximum additional effects. Find handwraps with Small/Medium Guild slots in them if you're in a guild and add gems in for more damage.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)

Awesome thread! Lots of very useful information in here, I am working on my crafter atm and have some low level toons which need some kit

Thanks again.

Stoner81.

I'll add the following extra things to consider:

Both beholders and oozes are generally very low on base dexterity.

So maladroit of everybright is a workable alternative to a weapon to hit oozes with.

Similarly, beholders tend to be very low on dexterity, and once fully stat drained, they are unable to use their eyebeams, and are reduced to trying to bite you. Note that their bite causes healing curse, but that's a small price to pay to face a beholder with no eyebeams.

Maladroit weapons are also useful for shutting down self healing monsters. For example, when trying to solo elite IQ quests on my paladin life, I couldn't produce enough damage to bring down the self healing clerics, but a switch to my maladroit hand wraps of ooze bane would shut down their spell casting and allow me to kill them easily.

-----------

If you are just starting off with cannith crafting, a surprisingly easy to make weapon is a 'spiked of bashing'. This prefix and suffix are really meant to be used on shields, but they can actually be applied to and blunt weapon. So a spiked club of bashing can be a useful poor mans construct, mephit, and elemental beater.

----------

If you really need a ranged weapon, I'll point out that a returning weapon can get grouped with a crafted seeker shield in the off hand, giving you the bonus seeker damage with your ranged attacks.

------------

Special notes on bosses with uncommon DR:

The Storm Reaver has DR/ mithril, so you need to hit him with a metalline weapon or bash him with a mithril shield to break his DR.

Also, the boss for shadow crypt has both DR/ silver and (lower) DR/adamatine. So to break his DR, you'd also want a metalline weapons.

------------

An alternative to ghost touch of undead bane is ghost touch of greater incorporeal bane. The advantage here is that greater incorporeal bane requires no special materials to make. Also, it works against some of the dreaming dark monsters, which are incorporeal, but not undead.

Haven't seen any general crafted trash beaters so I'll put my 2cp in.

On a melee I tend to grab a weapon (or two) with a highest guild slot available and recraft it as I advance in levels. The guild slot is always filled with acid augment crystal which seems to work nicely with prefixes and the least mobs are immune to it. For everything else there are specialized beaters. The advancement as follows, with a note that with Masterful you get access 2 levels sooner.

1: Screaming [weapon]
    3: Screaming [weapon] of Bleed
    5: +1 Screaming [weapon] of Bleed
    7: +1 Shocking Burst [weapon] of Bleed*
    9: +2 Shocking Burst [weapon] of Bleed*
    11: +3 Shocking Burst [weapon] of Bleed
    13: +4 Shocking Burst [weapon] of Bleed
    15: +5 Shocking Burst [weapon] of Bleed

*If I'm having problems with missing the mobs or am gonna run house Phiarlan chain I'll stick with Screaming with a higher enhancement to hit bonus.
    =$==$==$==$==$==$==$==ORIEN==$==$==$==$==$==$==$=
    Darthwolf **(?_?) Zendarth m(?_?m) Darthnoheals \(?_?)
    =$==$==$==$==$==$==House Do'Urden==$==$==$==$==$==$=

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by darthhento View Post
    Haven't seen any general crafted trash beaters so I'll put my 2cp in.

On a melee I tend to grab a weapon (or two) with a highest guild slot available and recraft it as I advance in levels. The guild slot is always filled with acid augment crystal which seems to work nicely with prefixes and the least mobs are immune to it. For everything else there are specialized beaters. The advancement as follows, with a note that with Masterful you get access 2 levels sooner.

1: Screaming [weapon]
    3: Screaming [weapon] of Bleed
    5: +1 Screaming [weapon] of Bleed
    7: +1 Shocking Burst [weapon] of Bleed*
    9: +2 Shocking Burst [weapon] of Bleed*
    11: +3 Shocking Burst [weapon] of Bleed
    13: +4 Shocking Burst [weapon] of Bleed
    15: +5 Shocking Burst [weapon] of Bleed

*If I'm having problems with missing the mobs or am gonna run house Phiarlan chain I'll stick with Screaming with a higher enhancement to hit bonus.
    I prefer
    3: Acid of Bleed (1 with mark)
    5: AcidBurst of Bleed (3 with mark)

Acid shuts down the Troll selfhealing and works against almost everything.
    And the few things where it doesnt work (clay golem, arcane ooze, few undead) you will use something else anyway.
    Also its a good idea to make your normal trashbeater either a Guildslot or Adamant weapon.
    Slot for added damage or to hit.
    Adamant for breaking Stoneskin DR (also it safes you in lowlvl to have an extra Adamant weapon just keep smashing ^^)

@OP
    nice collection but you should consider swapping the undead beater to Holy Silver of (greater) Undead Bane with lvl11+ where you can get Ethereal from an item.
    (i mostly use guildslot undead beater, vamps are rare and almost never a threat)
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Ethereal
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Daemoneyes View Post
    you should consider swapping the undead beater to Holy Silver of (greater) Undead Bane with lvl11+ where you can get Ethereal from an item.
    Incorporeals show up in force well before level 11.

Community Member

Default incorporeal and undead beaters

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Incorporeals show up in force well before level 11.
    Which is why I have this consolidated bound to account for lvls 5-9(never takes permanent damage and I can use it on any leveling toon).

Of course, at lvl 9 I have this, again any toon can use (no prof penalty on divines or arcanes or monks like the phase hammer), I call it the "phase staff":

But, for all out damage on undead prefer something like this:

Last edited by Machination; 12-20-2012 at 07:46 AM.
    RTFM on Khyber

We may be getting off track here.

This thread is an introduction to crafted weapons for new and mid-level crafters. Incorporeal bane is a high level recipe beyond the reach of the target audience. Also, I explicitly addressed this particular point in the OP:

The idea behind these recipes is to conserve pack space wherever possible, so in many cases the crafted weapon will be "very good" against many mobs instead of "perfect" against fewer. For example, putting ghost touch on the undead weapon instead of Holy means you don't need a separate weapon for incorporeals.

About post 8 you mention +4 Holy <insert weapon> Of Bleed, I have taken this recipe and removed the +4 from it and so it becomes ML5 (or ML3 with masterful), I am using it on a level 3 Artificer (TR project) and it rocks! Any Arti's or Arcane Archers out there this is superb your bow will decimate all! As for melee toons the bad guys will cower before you... just before they die

Thanks again for the awesome thread!

Stoner81.
    Last edited by Stoner81; 01-05-2013 at 05:48 AM.

Question

on my character first life i used +5 Holy Burst Silver Greatsword of Evil Outsider Bane.
    and i work now to upgrade it to Greater Evil outsider bane.
    that was my only weapon against devils and demons in shroud and other places where i could find those foes.

why some people say cold iron is better? the silver + holy still break the DR
    also why some people use pure good?

Sharp sword, short temper, any questions?
    I'm The Doctor so basically.. Run!

The idea behind these recipes is to conserve pack space wherever possible, so in many cases the crafted weapon will be "very good" against many mobs instead of "perfect" against fewer. For example, putting ghost touch on the undead weapon instead of Holy means you don't need a separate weapon for incorporeals.
    unless its blackbone or incorporeal i go with Flamming burst of Undead bane.
    relatively low level and not many ings needed (its cheap to buy soul gem:undead on ghallanda server). with masterful craftmenship the min level is between 5 or 7 if i remember right, also very useful in the house j quest with the ice skellies.
    grab that great club and crack their head

Quote Originally Posted by NarakuSama View Post
    why some people say cold iron is better? the silver + holy still break the DR
    also why some people use pure good?
    It won't break demon dr, which is cold iron + good. Demons (flesh renders, ice flensers, etc...) are mostly found in level 8-12 quests. Caverns of Korromar, most of threnal, one quest in the demon sands, and at the end of sorrowdusk.

A few demons have dr cold iron "or" good instead of "and", in which case the holy silver of eob works just fine.

unless its blackbone or incorporeal i go with Flamming burst of Undead bane.
    relatively low level and not many ings needed (its cheap to buy soul gem:undead on ghallanda server). with masterful craftmenship the min level is between 5 or 7 if i remember right, also very useful in the house j quest with the ice skellies.
    grab that great club and crack their head
    Yeah, flaming is very good against frostmarrow, which are all over the place in The Enemy Within. Flaming burst is a pretty high level, but just regular flaming is quite reasonable.

For me I'd rather have a single undead weapon to conserve pack space. If you want more than one, holy of undead bane is about as good as it gets, and then a second ghost touch of greater incorporeal bane would work well. Even against frostmarrow holy with do the same or better damage as flaming, as will holy burst over flaming burst. You're right, though, that it's more expensive.

Yeah I whipped out my devil beater last time I ran shroud and the holy was proccing. (Unless that was the lawful outsider bane? heh.)
    the portals are lawful evil indeed so holy construct bane work great on them (btw the lord of blades is lawful evil too)
    its high level crafting but i have holy burst adamantine of greater construct bane, that is the best you can make since you cant craft smiting weapon.

as for shroud i noticed that all devils and demons (including arraetrikos) are of lawful evil too so my holy burst of evil outsider break with ease their DR

and it still do good damage against other demons in the games (but i guess flame touched iron + good my be better outside the shroud and shavarath)

as for shroud i noticed that all devils and demons (including arraetrikos) are of lawful evil too so my holy burst of evil outsider break with ease their DR
    There are no demons in shroud, and demons (except Malicia) are chaotic evil, not lawful.

In terms of construct beaters, I've decided to go with two different weapons:

+5 True Chaos Adamantine 2[W] (bludgeon) of Greater Construct Bane
    +5 Holy Burst Adamantine 2[W] (slashing) of Greater Construct Bane

The idea being that the true chaos one gets used on all constructs except the lord of blades, who gets his own crafted beater. He has 80% fort, so the better crit profile of slashing weapons adds some dps. Also, in a pinch the holy version works as a decent backup in elite house c quests after the true chaos weapon shatters into a million pieces from item damage halfway through the quest.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast