Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by jakeelala View Post
    If you don't want to pay then go farm the item yourself. Were you dropped on your head as a baby? This is an overwhelmingly simple concept.
    You mean exactly what I do in DDO? Well thank you, Captain Obvious! Where were ya all my life?

However, as most in this thread have already said, d3 is DELETED.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

Quote Originally Posted by jakeelala View Post
    Useless lazy bum video gamers can actually make some money now. This is a miracle.
    Touchy topic - but I do feel guilty at times, when I find myself spending time gaming instead of minding my job or my chores.
    * Live by the Pencil - My D&D-related Art * <-> * Focus Orb Paperbag - My Workaround for Helves *

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

I sense some angry Cube coming soon...

Thanks, Leslie, for making my point.

I fail to see how the system in Diablo III is a good thing, in any light.

While the idea in itself is a sound capital one, think of the potential for exploiting. Now hackers and gold bots have a cash reason to exploit the system. Every game has loopholes and bugs and exploits, but now we're going to pay them real money for their dishonesty.

If you want to pay your hard earned cash to the pirates, hackers, and cheaters, thereby empowering them, go right ahead. Legitimize their dishonesty, and reward them for their efforts.

IMO, what they're doing is saying "Well, since we can't do anything about piracy or hacking, we may as well profit from it."

*edit (I have no idea what a fanboy is.) If you'd like to debate the points, that's just fine, but please refrain from using pointedly insulting comments directed towards another individual. Thanks
    Last edited by danotmano1998; 08-22-2011 at 08:53 AM.
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Quote Originally Posted by danotmano1998 View Post
    Thanks, Leslie, for making my point.

I fail to see how the system in Diablo III is a good thing, in any light.

While the idea in itself is a sound capital one, think of the potential for exploiting. Now hackers and gold bots have a cash reason to exploit the system. Every game has loopholes and bugs and exploits, but now we're going to pay them real money for their dishonesty.

If you want to pay your hard earned cash to the pirates, hackers, and cheaters, thereby empowering them, go right ahead. Legitimize their dishonesty, and reward them for their efforts.

IMO, what they're doing is saying "Well, since we can't do anything about piracy or hacking, we may as well profit from it."
    No problem. I agree wholeheartedly.

No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

I will admit that I cut this person's post down to just one point:

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieWest_GuitarGod View Post
    Piracy equates to:

- significant loss of tax revenues
    That's assuming that companies actually PAY taxes, which they DO NOT. In the U.S. the corporate tax rate is currently 35% but Google only actually pays about 2.4% by funneling all of its revenue streams overseas (see this Bloomberg article). Look up the Double Irish and Dutch Sandwich tricks. Microsoft's only difference is that they pay a small % more than Google, not having quite as "good" of accountants.
    Last edited by Barazon; 08-22-2011 at 10:10 AM.

Several things:

Thanks for the Torchlight reference, haven't heard about that before this thread.

Piracy doesn't work out well.

I won't be playing D3, but I get to play Devil's Advocate on how using real money won't change the standard gold farming standard.

Gold farmers make gold on selling items en masse on an auction house (along with actual gold gathering). So, initially, having an auction house where you make real money looks like a gold farmer's wet dream. However:

1) with a transaction fee, you cut into those profits dramatically as most gold farmers are paid very poorly,
    2) A lot of items will not sell, and that will directly affect the bottom line.
    3) Most people wouldn't have a lot of money in transactions, unless they are a gold farmer.
    4) At a certain point, monies have to be reported to the IRS, or certain compliances have to be maintained by Blizzard itself so as not to run afoul of the IRS, which could mean a maximum limit an account can make in a year's time.

The one thing I am not clear on is there a transaction fee on the non-money auction house.

Long term, imo, this will limit or curtail gold farming. It just won't be as profitable. Therefore, the standard channels of off-site gold selling will most likely be the most viable way for gold farmers. It also becomes very easy for Blizzard to track who gold farmers most likely are. I also feel Blizzard has done a break-even analysis on how much gold sellers need to make per transaction, so their fee would probably make gold farming a not very profitable situation.

So, long term this would probably work well, and Blizzard gets to make a little more off the top.

That said, I am staying away from this like a dumpster fire; this game will attract everyone and everything I find wrong with an online game. Heck, I don't like the model for their Strcraft 2 series, so I am not buying any of them after the 1st one. This would be akin to DDO selling complete Greensteel items at the store, I don't own any GS items as I play too sparsely, but taking the reasons out of playing would just drive me away.

Quote Originally Posted by Barazon View Post
    I will admit that I cut this person's post down to just one point:
    That's assuming that companies actually PAY taxes, which they DO NOT.
    Plenty of companies pay their taxes. Dont make a political statement out of it. Go to foxnews or cnn and comment there if you want to spew your political stupidity.

This was a discussion of piracy, not tax cheats.

Hmmm.

I missed this party the first time around, couple weeks ago.

I was looking forward to D3. That article does explain a lot of why Blizz was going so hard after ebay auctions on game items.

Maybe I'll just wait and 'try it' after I can get ahold of a cracked copy.

(j/k, but it will certainly be one from the discount table.)
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456