Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mubjon View Post
    I just like the SP cushion for those groups that have never heard of fortification or cannot seem to grasp waiting on the rogue to disarm that trap on elite to keep them alive.
    there is no cleric that can keep a full 12 man group with these guys alive. they really just want a backpack trip.

Why not just rogue splash bard masters touch a twohander for your melee damage , full UMD for the buffs they don't have and awesome CC to really assist a group and enough healing to take care of themselves and for those Oh !@#$ times for a whole party.
    Move along , Nothing to see here

Quote Originally Posted by t0r012 View Post
    Why not just rogue splash bard masters touch a twohander for your melee damage , full UMD for the buffs they don't have and awesome CC to really assist a group and enough healing to take care of themselves and for those Oh !@#$ times for a whole party.
    I like the spells from the Cleric + Ranger list better, both offensive and defensive.

I agree that bards are very self-sufficient, though - just not to my taste. I rolled up a Drow TWF Bard/Fighter/Rog back in the day (when I was leveling up this build), but he never got to level 10.
    "I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities" - Vaarsuvius, OoTS #674

Community Member

OK, even I realize this is probably an incredibly stupid question but my brain just can't figure it out so I'm giving in and asking. How are you getting the base numbers at creation? I'm assuming you are using the stats you mentioned:
    Strength 14 (base)
    Dex 16 (base)
    Con 12 (base)
    Intell 14 (base)
    Wisdom 10 (base)
    Cha 14 (base)
    No matter how I try I can't get my 28 pts to work out that way. Again, I realize this is a painfully newb question so thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Firstly, consider this thread necro'd. From the original post, one of the opening assertions is AFAIK no longer true (FoM no longer saves you from the Hold spell, but paralysis/slow effects are prevented IIRC. Edit: I should clarify - it doesn't free you if you have had Hold Person cast on you, but does prevent it happening in future. However, FoM does nothing to help with earthgrab whatsoever).

Also, I think that 28 point build stat allocation is for a drow - for which you need 400 favor on a single character on that server if you don't want to pay for it (which many wouldn't). The trick is that drow get 2 extra base points in 3 other stats (DEX, INT and CHA), and are penalised 2 points in only one (CON).
    Last edited by Meetch1972; 10-31-2012 at 11:49 PM.
    Goe ahed... korekt mah spelin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Phidius View Post
    In addition, most quests have one or more of the following that gives you a bonus to your XP:
    1. Find Secret Doors
    2. Kill a lot of mobs

3. Disable traps
    4. Open locked doors/chests
    You're missing breakables bonus.

Phidius is on a break from the game folks.

He did appear to be referring to the drow race as a building point for the purpose of his thread. Though outdated slightly, his points still stand well.
    Khyber: Evandus, Halfdeadd, Licoricewhip, Sawyn, Elkabongg, Brothanumsi, Soulbro, Cromix.
    And an army of gimp experiments!

Community Member

I think this build is trying too hard. A pure cleric would be so much better.

The pure cleric has crowd control, kill spells, buffs, insane overpowered self-healing and a very reliable source of ranged damage(Divine Punishment)

Clerics with good HP who keep it topped off don't die. And when they do die, Death Pact is there to save them
    Kmnh * Kmn * Kmm * Knn * Knm

Leader of Templar

Quote Originally Posted by Meetch1972 View Post
    Firstly, consider this thread necro'd. From the original post, one of the opening assertions is AFAIK no longer true (FoM no longer saves you from the Hold spell, but paralysis/slow effects are prevented IIRC).

Also, I think that 28 point build stat allocation is for a drow - for which you need 400 favor on a single character on that server if you don't want to pay for it (which many wouldn't). The trick is that drow get 2 extra base points in 3 other stats (DEX, INT and CHA), and are penalised 2 points in only one (CON).
    When did freedom of movement stop working against hold spells? I knew they made it not work against natural webs, but i hadn't heard of any other changes.

Quote Originally Posted by starfishpaws View Post
    OK, even I realize this is probably an incredibly stupid question but my brain just can't figure it out so I'm giving in and asking. How are you getting the base numbers at creation? I'm assuming you are using the stats you mentioned:
    Strength 14 (base)
    Dex 16 (base)
    Con 12 (base)
    Intell 14 (base)
    Wisdom 10 (base)
    Cha 14 (base)
    No matter how I try I can't get my 28 pts to work out that way. Again, I realize this is a painfully newb question so thanks for taking the time to help me out.
    Yup, it's a drow thing. That beautiful, flawed race that everyone on the forums seems to think is unplayable, yet see dozens and dozens of vets playing in the actual game.

I think the downfall of this character's design is that it assumes that a zero-experience player is going to chrun out 400 favor (which yeah, I know is somewhat easy to do) to start a Drow, so that they can start over and create a splash player. They're most likely to start with one of the pre-defined DDO paths, and maybe get discouraged along the way.

Yeah, I know this is really complete roadmap. However, splashes are more difficult to play than a pure character, are less forgiving if someone makes a mistake when leveling, and highly subject to the ever-present changes in the game mechanic. They are also harder for a new player to fully grasp. Plus, in order to play them, you have to compromise specific class focus abilities at the altar of self-sufficiency. Whether it's a melee's crit profile, or a wizzy's spell pen something is going to fall short so that you can cover all bases.

As dumb as this sounds, there are only a couple of classes that can be "easily" played, and with some measure of self-sifficiency by a new player. The first is a Cleric. The second is a Ranger. A pally comes in at a close third, but at upper levels becomes extremely frustrating. All three are F2P (I believe).

If they can deal with the issues of undead and low UMD at lower levels, a rogue edges-out pally, and stomps all over him and the Ranger at upper levels when it some to self-sufficiency.
    Antipan, Pandargon, Pandolin, Panifin, Panmorgan, Pangrael, and all other things "pan-ed"...

Community Member

Oops, posted in wrong thread
    Last edited by Brendae; 10-30-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    When did freedom of movement stop working against hold spells? I knew they made it not work against natural webs, but i hadn't heard of any other changes.
    My inaccuracy there, and correction added to post. +1 for pointing it out. FoM doesn't remove Hold - but it will prevent it. Probably doesn't matter when soloing anyway.
    Goe ahed... korekt mah spelin'.

Community Member

re-necroing this thread, how viable is the OP build under U15? Would this be a recommended build for new players after they unlock Drow?

I'm not in love with it for many of the reasons squishwizzy outlined. I'm sure it would function, though.

Quote Originally Posted by oldweasel View Post
    re-necroing this thread, how viable is the OP build under U15? Would this be a recommended build for new players after they unlock Drow?
    Wish I could fully answer this, but I haven't been trying any challenging content since I returned - just getting a Torc and 20 Epic Tokens in preparation for TRing.

I've got 3 other toons to get from 18 to 20, and I'm sure once I'm done with those I'll be in the mood to go back through Korthos again, but for now I'm gonna just park him.
    "I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities" - Vaarsuvius, OoTS #674

Community Member

I for one think this is an very useful build for such mostly-newbies as myself...

Is there a recommendation on what tome to take from my birthday box with this build?

I have two of these going on different servers, one already took an int tome for skill points. (Also managed to get +1 dex and wis tomes already.)

The other isn't at 7 yet but did get a +1 wis tome, so... suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by squishwizzy View Post
    I think the downfall of this character's design is that it assumes that a zero-experience player is going to chrun out 400 favor (which yeah, I know is somewhat easy to do) to start a Drow, so that they can start over and create a splash player. They're most likely to start with one of the pre-defined DDO paths, and maybe get discouraged along the way.
    Funny, that's sort of what I did...

I'm mostly playing solo, or with my children who are a bit youngish for this game, so I try to keep their toons alive and exploring...

First started an elven cleric path. Got frustrated with traps and locks, took a level of rogue and noticed it really hurts to not get those creation-time extra skill points.

Second, my own attempt of rogue 1 -> cleric... got that to 400 favor but it was rather tedious towards the end of that.

Well, at least it's much easier going with this build. (There's a pure rogue in the second slot by now, too.)

Quote Originally Posted by squishwizzy View Post
    As dumb as this sounds, there are only a couple of classes that can be "easily" played, and with some measure of self-sifficiency by a new player. The first is a Cleric. The second is a Ranger. A pally comes in at a close third, but at upper levels becomes extremely frustrating. All three are F2P (I believe).
    Oh yes. On the other server, I started with tihocan's revised "Warpriest of Siberys" path. Fun, well, sort of, but still very frustrating with traps and locks when not having a rogue along... then second, the revised Warchanter. Lucked into some astral shards so have used a gold seal rogue hireling or two, along the way, but...

Once I got 400 favor there too, deleted the warpriest and started a second toon using this build. That +1 wis tome from at level 3 (bought from the AH by the 400-favor toon) really helps.

I do also have a few pure rogues and a couple of "dwarf tempest trapmonkey" builds going on different servers, and even one "pale trapper" at level 5 but... anyone have advice for a self-sufficient f2p bard/rogue/? build, for variety?

(Of course I could also use my hard-earned TP for artificer, but I'd rather save for a few more adventure packs first...)
    Last edited by mna; 05-08-2013 at 06:53 AM.

Community Member

Hello, ty for this post.

I found this post with this:
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...27#post5000427

Community Member

Default Likely effects of the new enhancement system on this build?

Hi all,

I was reading up on the new enhancement system and thinking what it'll likely do to my toons... and, it looks like it'd become possible to get a positive energy aura with 5 levels of cleric in that system.

But, this build is really driven mostly by feats and spell slots, anyway.

However, I didn't see a skill boost in the new Tempest or Cleric Healing trees, nor Drow racial, and I've been relying on Skill Boost 1 (either Ranger or Rogue) a lot on my toons... so, getting that before character level 19 (2 rogue, which is where the preview Mechanic tree gets skill boost) would be nice.

In the preview enhancements, Cleric 12 gets just Improved Emp Heal. So, are that and the two spell slots (Cometfall and Protection from Elements in the build plan) still worth it, or would taking a third level of Rogue (at, say, 9, or even earlier) be more useful? That'd get the skill boost and evasion earlier, one sneak attack dice more at 3 rogue, more skill points, and maybe even a tier 3 new-system enhancement if there are APs to spare.

That is, assuming the new system, whenever it goes live, will still look like what the Wiki says from the preview now... a lot of my toons really like the skill boost from 1 rogue, I'd really prefer to keep that, but, well...

(Oh, and when/if ever we get to epic levels... what kind of destinies and epic feats would it make sense to look at, with this build?)

Community Member

Still haven't LR'd either of mine but, the planner having been updated to know about the Warpriest tree too, I was thinking about how to LR in the future - to take advantage of the new religious feats, at least. Looking at the Warpriest without having any religion feat feels a bit silly... (oh, and since both of mine have eaten +2 int tomes they now give that extra skill point at 7 already, right?)

Anyway, seems that by level 8-9 it's feasible to get either Warpriest or Radiant Servant tree to the point where healing gets easier (either Ameliorating Strike, or Positive Burst + Endless Turning), and by 20 it can have T5 from one and T4 from the other reasonably, I think...?

Say, is my thinking way off, or would something like this look sane?

(And no, I don't know enough about skill point analysis to be able to say anything useful... use the old system for that? Especially for those who start this without having those int tomes that I managed to get already for mine... but +13 positive spellpower can't be much better than passing a few more of those pass/fail skill checks with traps or UMD, can it?)

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 04.19.02
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Level 20 True Neutral Drow Male
    (2 Rogue \ 6 Ranger \ 12 Cleric) 
    Hit Points: 221
    Spell Points: 595 
    BAB: 16\16\21\26\26
    Fortitude: 14
    Reflex: 15
    Will: 11

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (28 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 20)
    Strength             14                    19
    Dexterity            16                    17
    Constitution         12                    12
    Intelligence         14                    16
    Wisdom               10                    12
    Charisma             14                    15

Tomes Used
    +1 Tome of Dexterity used at level 3
    +2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 6

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
                     Base Skills         Modified Skills
    Skills           (Level 1)            (Level 20)
    Balance               3                     3
    Bluff                 2                     2
    Concentration         1                     1
    Diplomacy             2                     2
    Disable Device        n/a                   n/a
    Haggle                2                     2
    Heal                  0                     1
    Hide                  3                     3
    Intimidate            2                     2
    Jump                  2                     4
    Listen                0                     9
    Move Silently         3                     3
    Open Lock             n/a                   n/a
    Perform               n/a                   n/a
    Repair                2                     6
    Search                2                    11
    Spellcraft            2                     3
    Spot                  0                     9
    Swim                  n/a                   n/a
    Tumble                n/a                   n/a
    Use Magic Device      2                     2

Level 1 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Power Attack

Level 2 (Cleric)
    Feat: (Deity) Favored by Vulkoor

Level 3 (Cleric)
    Feat: (Selected) Extend Spell

Level 4 (Ranger)
    Ability Raise: STR
    Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Undead

Level 5 (Cleric)

Level 6 (Cleric)
    Feat: (Selected) Empower Healing Spell

Level 7 (Cleric)

Level 8 (Cleric)

Level 9 (Cleric)
    Feat: (Selected) Maximize Spell
    Enhancement: Drow - Spell Resistance (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Drow - Drow Charisma (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Drow - Keen Senses (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Drow - Keen Senses (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Drow - Keen Senses (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Mechanic (Rog) - Arbalester (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Mechanic (Rog) - Mechanics (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Mechanic (Rog) - Mechanics (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Mechanic (Rog) - Mechanics (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Deepwood Stalker (Rgr) - Far Shot (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warpriest (Clr) - Smite Foe (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warpriest (Clr) - Resilience of Battle (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warpriest (Clr) - Sanctuary (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warpriest (Clr) - Divine Might (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warpriest (Clr) - Divine Might (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Warpriest (Clr) - Toughness (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warpriest (Clr) - Toughness (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Warpriest (Clr) - Toughness (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Warpriest (Clr) - Righteous Weapons (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warpriest (Clr) - Awareness (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warpriest (Clr) - Awareness (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Warpriest (Clr) - Awareness (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Warpriest (Clr) - Inflame (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warpriest (Clr) - Inflame: Saving Throws (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warpriest (Clr) - Wisdom (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warpriest (Clr) - Ameliorating Strike (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warpriest (Clr) - Wisdom (Rank 1)

Level 10 (Cleric)

Level 11 (Cleric)

Level 12 (Cleric)
    Feat: (Selected) Quicken Spell

Level 13 (Cleric)

Level 14 (Ranger)

Level 15 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Piercing Weapons

Level 16 (Ranger)

Level 17 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Evil Outsider

Level 18 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Weapon Fighting

Level 19 (Rogue)

Level 20 (Cleric)
    Enhancement: Tempest (Rgr) - Shield of Whirling Steel (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Tempest (Rgr) - Tempest (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Tempest (Rgr) - Improved Reaction (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Tempest (Rgr) - Improved Reaction (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Tempest (Rgr) - Whirling Blades (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Tempest (Rgr) - Bleed Them Out (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Tempest (Rgr) - Whirling Blades (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Radiant Servant (Clr) - Healing Domain (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Radiant Servant (Clr) - Pacifism (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Radiant Servant (Clr) - Positive Energy Burst (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Radiant Servant (Clr) - Extra Turning (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Radiant Servant (Clr) - Extra Turning (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Radiant Servant (Clr) - Divine Cleansing (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Radiant Servant (Clr) - Divine Cleansing (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Radiant Servant (Clr) - Improved Turning (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Radiant Servant (Clr) - Mighty Turning (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Radiant Servant (Clr) - Intense Healing (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Radiant Servant (Clr) - Intense Healing (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Radiant Servant (Clr) - Intense Healing (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Radiant Servant (Clr) - Unyielding Sovereignty (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Radiant Servant (Clr) - Endless Turning (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warpriest (Clr) - War Domain: Blur (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warpriest (Clr) - Divine Might (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Warpriest (Clr) - Inflame (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Warpriest (Clr) - Inflame (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Warpriest (Clr) - Inflame: Saving Throws (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Warpriest (Clr) - Inflame: Saving Throws (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Warpriest (Clr) - Divine Power (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warpriest (Clr) - Divine Vessel (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Warpriest (Clr) - Wrathful Weapons (Rank 1)

... oh yes, and this'd be saving the +20 heart for later if you haven't used the free LR already...
    Last edited by mna; 10-08-2013 at 04:52 PM.
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast