Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Community Member

My personal favorite is the Classic Rocker build.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...highlight=bard

My current and almost finalized gear:
    Helm - Pirate Hat +6 seeker +15 perform
    Necklace - Torc
    Trinket - Litany with +1 resistance ritual
    Armor - Cavalry plate (+5 resist, demonic shield,5/chaotic dr, Sup. False Life) slotted with toughness
    Cloak - Conc Op +150 sp/+5 charisma skills
    Boots - +45 hp Greensteel
    Gloves - Epic Claw set 30% heal amp
    Bracers - Epic Claw set Heavy fort, +2 exc con (+4 damage set)
    Belt - Ravager set belt(Colethenis) +6 con
    Ring 1 - Thamors ring +6 charisma/+1 con with +20% healing amp
    Ring 2 - Ravager set ring +6 strength/+1 and +2 strength
    Weapons - +4 HBoGLOB Silver Falchion, LitII Falchion, Epic Hellstroke, +2 anarchic Falchion of smiting, working on eSOS
    Many other things for swap/sp regen/etc...

487 HP unbuffed
    just over 1000 sp

42 strength with yugo+ship+rage
    32? constitution
    26 charisma

It doesn't have effective dance balls, but irrestible dance or fascinate work nicely. Mines only a human but she still does some nice damage.
    Last edited by FastTaco; 07-23-2011 at 02:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aashrym View Post
    Wizards of the coast classified bards with sorcs and wizzies as arcanists too. Just saying.
    Yes, and a well built caster bard I would classify with wizzies and arcanists too...not this abomination.
    ~ Cheara : Raizertron : Pozitron : Higgz Bowtron : Illudium : Staphe Infection : Abraa Capocus ~
    Nooby McNoobsalot
    Ghallanda Rerolled

I am just wondering if the OP had a chance to look at what I specced up? I would like to hear what you think.

Default OP's feedback

FYI, I did read everyone's feedback. Yes, I did LR into this build. I would appreciate you not referring to it as an abomination. I understand that you might not play the same way I do and therefore don't understand the point behind this build, but that is the wonderful thing about MMOs. There is no correct way to play except the one which lets you have fun. If you read the OP, I didn't ask for feedback. I have been playing this game for 4 years now and am experimenting with my own innovative ways of solving challenges other people don't catch. I lead a guild of new players. They are often weak and under powered until they have themselves learned how to covercome every day challenges. This build will allow me to accompany new players to the guild into dungeons and watch for times when they are getting overwhelmed. It gives me the opportunity to stop the mobs in their tracks while I explain the strategy to the players and then unleash them on the mobs again. Some concerns raised were "why bother with weapon finesse if you don't intend to hit things?" I intend to hit things when I am soloing and have run out of charmed monsters to do the damage for me. I need to be able to deal the final damaging blow. Instead of wasting points in strength, I decided to utilize my already high dexterity. "Why go overkill on the Charisma/Perform?" For s***s and giggles and so I can walk into PVP with my guildies/friends and surprise them with tactics they haven't seen used before. All of the feats taken that were questioned were prereqs for my PrC so I can take the music of the makers and music of the dead right at level 6. Makes me even more effective at stopping the mobs for these strategy sessions.

I have taken all of the feedback into account when creating this character and have made some minor adjustments (thanks Raolin for the suggestions on the strength issue) but ultimately, I learn and enjoy things through experience. I actually get a kick out of rolling a character like this and running into the sub to see if I can survive icy runs. If I can't who cares, I had fun anyway and I'll change it up and start again. If I can, cool. I don't ever expect anyone else to pick up one of my builds and play with it since I play very differently than a lot of people. Personally, I hate the fact that I am sitting here defending my choices because only 1 person was kind enough to look at this build and give me credit for thinking outside the box. If you stop looking at things as if there is only 1 way to do it and start appreciating other peoples' approaches to the game, you'll find you enjoy this game a lot more. If you can't do that, go play WoW. You'll be much happier there.

Quote Originally Posted by kazlady View Post
    I don't care about healing and I don't care about damage.
    This is going to be a bard of all bards.
    When everyone else is killing the boss, I intend to go afk to fill my drink, grab a snack, smooch my husband or whatever else you guys do while I am buffing the party.
    This is a piking bard, not a pinnacle bard. Bards like this are the ones that give all bards a bad name, honestly.

I will never forget being in a level 25 Crystal Cove run, working our butts off, racing around like crazy, cleric barely able to keep everyone up while the bard stood at the foreman and "buffed the kobolds" for us. And announced it proudly in party chat each time. Then hid behind the shrine when bad guys made it up there to kill said buffed kobolds.

I so wanted to smack he/she/it. It was quickly dropped from the next run before it could pike another 300 shards off the rest of the group's hard work.

FYI, I did read everyone's feedback. Yes, I did LR into this build. I would appreciate you not referring to it as an abomination. I understand that you might not play the same way I do and therefore don't understand the point behind this build, but that is the wonderful thing about MMOs. There is no correct way to play except the one which lets you have fun. If you read the OP, I didn't ask for feedback. I have been playing this game for 4 years now and am experimenting with my own innovative ways of solving challenges other people don't catch. I lead a guild of new players. They are often weak and under powered until they have themselves learned how to covercome every day challenges. This build will allow me to accompany new players to the guild into dungeons and watch for times when they are getting overwhelmed. It gives me the opportunity to stop the mobs in their tracks while I explain the strategy to the players and then unleash them on the mobs again. Some concerns raised were "why bother with weapon finesse if you don't intend to hit things?" I intend to hit things when I am soloing and have run out of charmed monsters to do the damage for me. I need to be able to deal the final damaging blow. Instead of wasting points in strength, I decided to utilize my already high dexterity. What is that DEX doing for you in the first place? "Why go overkill on the Charisma/Perform?" For s***s and giggles and so I can walk into PVP with my guildies/friends and surprise them with tactics they haven't seen used before. If they are in the PvP pits I expect they've seen these tactics. All of the feats taken that were questioned were prereqs for my PrC so I can take the music of the makers Untrue - force of personality is not a requirement and 3 bard past lives help with that regardless and music of the dead right at level 6. Your planner shows you taking them at level 9. Makes me even more effective at stopping the mobs for these strategy sessions. Just to clarify, that means you plan on watching those groups, telling them what to do, but not doing anything until they need help? Forgive me, but that does sound like piking.
    Even dropping force of personality for spell focus, dropping skill focus perform (requiring you to take extra song IV somewhere) will allow you to add the active bard past life and you have 2 more DC's on your spells. That would give you the added bonus of 3 songs dedicated to IC and more left over for your song CC.

If you don't plan on doing a lot of healing you may as well drop those enhancements to take extra song IV (free up a feat), inspired damage III, and more wand and scroll mastery possibly. Use wands and scrolls to heal. Energy of the music and lyric of song are a poor return on your AP as well. You have room to remove those and do quite a bit of juggling.

STR would be better than DEX. I don't see the DEX doing anything for you except possibly ranged to hit which is a worse than normal option with no feats devoted to it.

Those are some quick thoughts. I would recommend reviewing other bard threads and advice. What you are doing is not thinking outside the box; it's more like someone handed you a perfectly good box and you decided to kick it a few time and tell everyone it's a better box because of the personal touch.

The build has room for improvements, and I am sorry if you do not really want advice.
    Last edited by Aashrym; 08-05-2011 at 02:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    a powerful ally able to play in any role that the group needs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zonbLF-NMZg

Quote Originally Posted by Aashrym View Post
    What you are doing is not thinking outside the box; it's more like someone handed you a perfectly good box and you decided to kick it a few time and tell everyone it's a better box because of the person touch.

The build has room for improvements, and I am sorry if you do not really want advice.
    ...I <3 you!
    Proudly Khyberian <3
    Veileira, Leiralei, Barbrose, Mayae TR1, Phaerune, Leiluu
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    I'm on it. Nerfing the new thing asap.
    Also, nerfing the old thing too, for balance.

I could say a lot about this but will restrain myself to just saying you will want more than 14 con on a bard these days.
    Proudly Khyberian <3
    Veileira, Leiralei, Barbrose, Mayae TR1, Phaerune, Leiluu
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    I'm on it. Nerfing the new thing asap.
    Also, nerfing the old thing too, for balance.

I don't ever expect anyone else to pick up one of my builds and play with it since I play very differently than a lot of people. Personally, I hate the fact that I am sitting here defending my choices because only 1 person was kind enough to look at this build and give me credit for thinking outside the box. If you stop looking at things as if there is only 1 way to do it and start appreciating other peoples' approaches to the game, you'll find you enjoy this game a lot more. If you can't do that, go play WoW. You'll be much happier there.
    Question - if you don't want people to critique your build and admit that you don't expect people to play this build, why did you post it on the forums? There are a lot of us that do want to help out, but the presentation of your build and the tone you used in responding to feedback (granted some feedback was not diplomatically communicated) is what is causing people to get all stirred up.

I agree with what you have said. If you enjoy the build, and if it works for your purposes, then by all means. I think you will get a lot less passionately worded responses (and bard players are passionate ) if you would have presented it that way initially.

The problem is that you are presenting your build using words like "ultimate" and "pinnacle" and posting it in the forums for the world to see. You admit this build is not for the power-gamers or the min-maxers or the more streamlined player. A new player (who is probably looking for a build that IS "ultimate" or "pinnacle") is going to pull up your build, think it is the best bard build, roll it up, and then be disappointed when it doesn't work for their purposes.

So, I am happy that you have fun with your build. Enjoy it. Utilize the feedback or ignore it, your choice. Just next time, think why you are posting (what are you looking for from the bard community?) and please consider the community (especially new players) when you present and post your build. I think there has been sufficient responses to hopefully make a new player reconsider rolling up this build unless their playstyle aligns with yours.
    Begonia ~ FVS Sorc Pali Barb Rngr Ftr Monk Rog Bard Cleric Druid Arti Wiz ~ Evoker FVS Completionist

Community Member

there once was a bard who claimed endless fame,
    and his build was the pinacle,or so was his claim.
    So he published the build on the bard forum thread,
    4 years of playing made him elite,a real true pro vet !

The build could crowd control any mob in the game,
    play a song and stand back, and let others take aim.
    No healing feats needed,on raid boss its all out on strike,
    the famous bard got out his records and turned to mcpike.
    Last edited by bartosy; 08-04-2011 at 04:31 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by bartosy View Post

Got me charmed with your song good bard,

+1 in your hat
    You helped a noob today - God Bless You

and her build was the pinacle,or so was her claim.
    So she published the build on the bard forum thread,
    4 years of playing made her elite,a real true pro vet !

the famous bard got out her records and turned to mcpike.
    ftfy.
    Toons on Orien: Meinir // Flodur // Twiddler // Thorkar // Impetor // Juliacantor // Minor all Soko Irrlicht
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We may or may not intentionally insert in red herrings, purple mackerels, or horses of different colors. Void where prohibited. Not available in all planes of existence.

Quote Originally Posted by aristarchus1000 View Post
    you Deserve A Medal. Really. +1.

To The Op. I'm Going To Join The Chorus Here And Recommend You Look At Some Of The Other Builds In The Forums, Or Follow What Valindria Recommended.
    +2
    Khyber: Pinel / Laerak / Sibeli / Kaeral / Gilmara - Crafter

Arrow Some responses

I would like to reiterate that I have read and even agreed with many people's comments here. Yes some of these builds are much more powerful than the one I posted. To Alleyna's comment
    Quote Originally Posted by Alleyna View Post
    Question - if you don't want people to critique your build and admit that you don't expect people to play this build, why did you post it on the forums? There are a lot of us that do want to help out, but the presentation of your build and the tone you used in responding to feedback (granted some feedback was not diplomatically communicated) is what is causing people to get all stirred up.
    I would like to point you to my opening paragraph of my post. I have no personal webspace to uplad this info to where I would universally be able to access it so I posted it here

I have made this plan several times and due to the fact I play on multiple computers in multiple households, I frequently don't have the information on hand at important turning points so I am posting the build here so I can always access it. I figured you might as well get to benefit from the project as well. If you play on the Sarlona server and are interested, find me in game. My 2 bards that will be following this build are Jaczawera 'Jazz' Lindale and Ditzzie Hawtness and yes, I am in actuality a female nerd (in case the names and language didn't give it away). ;-)
    On the topic of the name

Quote Originally Posted by Galeria View Post
    This is a piking bard, not a pinnacle bard. Bards like this are the ones that give all bards a bad name, honestly.

I will never forget being in a level 25 Crystal Cove run, working our butts off, racing around like crazy, cleric barely able to keep everyone up while the bard stood at the foreman and "buffed the kobolds" for us. And announced it proudly in party chat each time. Then hid behind the shrine when bad guys made it up there to kill said buffed kobolds.

I so wanted to smack he/she/it. It was quickly dropped from the next run before it could pike another 300 shards off the rest of the group's hard work.
    I agree the "Piking Bard" is annoying. I hope to be useful enough that people are ok with me not running in to smack the boss and so far it is working.

I will openly and honestly admit that "Pinnacle Bard" was not the best name for the build and you have a good point about new players looking for "ultimate" builds. I was originally looking for a name that had the connotation of exploiting what I consider the keys to an RPG bards personality to be. If you recall from my OP

This build capitalizes on the inherent benefits given to Bards. In roleplay, bards are usually not the ones to actually go in and get their hands dirty killing things, but instead talk even the wiliest opponents into doing the bard's messy work for them. Bards are either cruel in an epic proportion or deviously kind, depending on whose side they are on. They are persuasive enough to both paralyze their enemies and make them turn on each other, watching in horror as their closest friends become mortal enemies with the simple wave of a hand. The sweet, caressing music of the bard should also not be taken lightly as their song turns man, construct and zombie alike into mindless buffoons. Under the spell of the song, the bard has only to whisper a suggestion to their foe to further turn them against each other. It may take a little longer for a bard to serenade your foe into submission, but the effect is so strong that not even a beholder can dispel it. (I wonder if you can fascinate a beholder?)
    I still don't like the name "Pinnacle Bard" or "Ultimate in Bardy Goodness" as they don't incorporate the manipulative nature of the bard so if anyone has any suggestions THAT ARE NOT JUST SLANDEROUS EXPRESSIONS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S LOW OPINIONS OF MY BUILD you can PM me and I will edit the post when I have found a better name for it.

Huge kudos and cred to bartosy. Though I don't agree with your opinion, I am impressed that you created something like that :-)

Again, thank you for your feedback :-)
    Last edited by kazlady; 04-28-2012 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Forgot to credit the wordsmith

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

I always thought that singing songs and then piking for the rest of the quest (maybe refreshing the songs occasionally and maybe not) *was* the pinnacle of Bardly goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    I always thought that singing songs and then piking for the rest of the quest (maybe refreshing the songs occasionally and maybe not) *was* the pinnacle of Bardly goodness.
    Only if you're holding an eSOS while doing it
    Comfortably [d|n]umb

Toons: Weirdly || Inbound || Samma || Ocular || Annoyed || Stinkpelt of Khyber
    WanderLust EuroTrash

**Warning: THIS IS NOT A HEALER, DPS OR MULTIPURPOSE BUILD!! IF THAT'S WHAT YOU WANT, KEEP TROLLING THE FORUMS AS I HAVEN'T FOUND A REASONABLE ONE YET THOUGH MANY VALIANT ATTEMPTS HAVE BEEN MADE. THIS BUILD IS INTENDED TO BECOME THE PINNACLE OF BARD PERFECTION, AKA "THE PINNACLE BARD".**
    Edit: Okay, the OP has taken enough grief. I should tone down my remarks. It just seems a bit odd; bards are known for being multipurpose, and I've seen and played good healing and DPSing bards. The OP wants to define "The Pinnacle of Bard Perfection" as not having those things?
    Last edited by Gorbadoc; 04-29-2012 at 02:34 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12