Default Ossanna Half elf battleclonk

Planned TR of one of my favourite characters - her current build is essentially the same but she's a halfling so has slightly different stats & enhancement layout. Not the most powerful at fighting or healing, but a capable build that, above everything else, is fun to play. Now I just need to finish a few more raids to get a few more bits of loot & maybe some +3 tomes before going ahead with the plan

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.9.1
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Ossanna 
    Level 20 Lawful Good Half-Elf Female
    (2 Fighter \ 3 Monk \ 15 Cleric) 
    Hit Points: 296
    Spell Points: 877 
    BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
    Fortitude: 20
    Reflex: 13
    Will: 17

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (34 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 20)
    Strength             15                    24
    Dexterity            15                    17
    Constitution         14                    16
    Intelligence          8                    10
    Wisdom               14                    16
    Charisma             14                    16

Tomes Used
    +2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Charisma used at level 7

Level 1 (Monk)
    Feat: (Half-Elf Dilettante) Half-Elf Dilettante: Paladin
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Cleric
    Feat: (Selected) Toughness
    Feat: (Monk Bonus) Two Weapon Fighting

Level 2 (Cleric)

Level 3 (Cleric)
    Feat: (Selected) Empower Healing Spell

Level 4 (Cleric)

Level 5 (Monk)
    Feat: (Monk Bonus) Stunning Fist

Level 6 (Cleric)
    Feat: (Selected) Quicken Spell

Level 7 (Cleric)

Level 8 (Cleric)

Level 9 (Monk)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Weapon Fighting
    Feat: (Monk Path) Path of Harmonious Balance: Fists of Light

Level 10 (Cleric)

Level 11 (Cleric)

Level 12 (Cleric)
    Feat: (Selected) Extend Spell

Level 13 (Cleric)

Level 14 (Cleric)

Level 15 (Cleric)
    Feat: (Selected) Maximize Spell

Level 16 (Cleric)

Level 17 (Cleric)

Level 18 (Cleric)
    Feat: (Selected) Power Attack

Level 19 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Critical: Bludgeoning Weapons

Level 20 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Greater Two Weapon Fighting
    Enhancement: Cleric Radiant Servant I
    Enhancement: Cleric Radiant Servant II
    Enhancement: Unyielding Sovereignty
    Enhancement: Follower of the Sovereign Host
    Enhancement: Improved Paladin Dilettante I
    Enhancement: Improved Paladin Dilettante II
    Enhancement: Improved Paladin Dilettante III
    Enhancement: Human Adaptability Strength I
    Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery I
    Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery II
    Enhancement: Way of the Clever Monkey I
    Enhancement: Monk Improved Recovery I
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
    Enhancement: Improved Heal I
    Enhancement: Improved Heal II
    Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Smiting I
    Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Smiting II
    Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Life I
    Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Life II
    Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Life III
    Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Incredible Smiting I
    Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Incredible Life I
    Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Incredible Life II
    Enhancement: Cleric Smiting I
    Enhancement: Cleric Smiting II
    Enhancement: Cleric Smiting III
    Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic I
    Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic II
    Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic III
    Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic IV
    Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot I
    Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot II
    Enhancement: Fighter Strength I
    Enhancement: Fighter Toughness I
    Enhancement: Cleric Divine Might I
    Enhancement: Cleric Divine Might II
    Enhancement: Cleric Divine Vitality I
    Enhancement: Cleric Extra Turning I
    Enhancement: Cleric Extra Turning II
    Enhancement: Cleric Extra Turning III
    Enhancement: Cleric Improved Turning I
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post
    Starting Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
    (34 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)

Strength 15 24
    Dexterity 15 17
    Constitution 14 16
    Intelligence 8 10
    Wisdom 14 16
    Charisma 14 16

I recommend starting your Charisma at 15 - while a +3 tome isn't a guaranteed item, you never know when they'll be dirt cheap on the DDO Store. With the +3 tome, you would qualify for DM3.

Also, you didn't specify your skill allocation, but I presume that you maxed Concentration with a point in Tumble and some in Balance? My plan is to start with 10 Int and get full ranks in Concentration, 16 in Balance, 1 in Tumble, and 11 in UMD. With a high-ish charisma, 11 ranks is enough to get easy GH and Teleport scrolls, and a good use of Greater Teleport scrolls.

I see that in your feat list you have Stunning Fist selected, but I'm not sure that you'll be able to get a high enough DC to make it worth a spot on your hot bar, let alone the Feat. Do you have a break-down of your Stunning Fist DC?

My plan was 16 Str, 14 Dex (w/ +3 Dex tome banked), 14 Con, 10 Int, 10 Wis, 15 Cha (the +3 Cha tome can wait). I chose to "dump" wisdom because I was frustrated with the attempt to make AC worthwhile, so I LR'ed and used those build points elsewhere. YMMV though.

Level 1 (Monk)
    Feat: (Half-Elf Dilettante) Half-Elf Dilettante: Paladin
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Cleric
    Feat: (Selected) Toughness
    Feat: (Monk Bonus) Two Weapon Fighting

I took cleric first so that I could fit in more meta-magics. Here's the order I planned my levels/feats.

1C: Extend, Pally Dilly, Past Life: Monk
    2M: Toughness(Monk)
    3C: Monk PL (+1 damage step)
    4C-5C
    6C: Empower Healing
    7C-8C
    9C: Maximize
    10C-11C: Eat +3 Dex
    12C: Quicken
    13M: TWF (Monk)
    14F: iTWF (Ftr)
    15F: Power Attack, gTWF (Ftr)
    16M: Path of Harmonious Balance (Monk)
    17C
    18C: Empower
    19-20 C

I'm not convinced that the extra die step is worthy of the feat, though - it's only 1 more point of damage. Would it be better for me to move Maximize to level 3, Quicken to 9, and take Imp Crit: Bludgeon at 12? Or is there a better feat that I've missed to increase unarmed damage?

Well i planned this out a while ago so it probably needs some amending.

+3 tomes arent a problem - have a bunch saved up already so yeah will probably now be able to start with slightly lower dex & put the points into charisma like you suggest.

The higher int for skillpoints to invest in UMD could be good too i guess but its one of those things i'd probably end up LRing into it once capped - frankly the 1st life of this build was actually an 17/3 which i LR'ed the additional levels into - stopping at 15cleric/2pally/3monk on the way for a more survivability-oriented one (on that thing she didnt have so much melee capability but fully buffed the lowest save she had was +42 iirc).

Stunning fist:
    The current incarnation of Ossanna can currently get a 36DC on stunning fist using stunning+10 wraps in fire stance (i commonly stay in fire stance for the higher to-hit, damage & ki generation as i spam strikes & finishers to help keep HP, blur & to-hit up), which means 38 in water stance, or can push to 40 with ship buff & if/when i get a +2 exceptional wisdom thingy. This could naturally be even higher if i respecced to actually have a decent wisdom score - her wisdom is currently only 22 including fire stance debuff, conc opp item & a +2 tome.
    This is possible as since the changes to stunning fist a while back, the DC is now based off your character level rather than monk class level.. hypothetically meaning any 18/2 cleric/monk caster build using appropriate handwraps could potentially get a stunning fist higher than any monk, since a proper monk would be splitting points between various attribtes.. of course, actually hitting the opponent with it would then be the problem!
    As something of a side note, sadly the other change introduced at the same time was to make healing ki work based only on monk level not character level as it had previously.. meaning her healing ki is pitiful & meaningless, even boosted by all the metamagics, enhancements etc. it previously was capable of hitting for 150-190hp without too much hassle (which combined with RS let me essentially do most healing completely SP-free), whereas now it might crit for 50 on a good day.

IC:B i'm still a little unsure about on this character tbh, though already have it on the current incarnation.. crits are nice but since its only moving it from a 5% to a 10% chance of getting one (and for only x2 damage) was actually thinking that extra turning might be a handy feat to put in its place... 4 more bursts/auras/DMs per rest could be more valuable.. however on the flipside, i now have 2 ToD rings with burst effects on them for damage dealing so swings & roundabouts.

The active monk past life feat honestly probably wouldnt make much difference.. though if you were to be running in earth stance with the jidz bracers (or just wearing garments of equilibrium) that would stack with the extra die step from that too so you'd be rocking 1d10 fists instead & have some extra hp to work with. Otherwise, maybe an extra toughness for more hp, or extra turning as i mentioned above, or whatever else you fancy.
    Last edited by FuzzyDuck81; 01-02-2012 at 01:25 PM.

Stunning fist:
    The current incarnation of Ossanna can currently get a 36DC on stunning fist using stunning+10 wraps in fire stance (i commonly stay in fire stance for the higher to-hit, damage & ki generation as i spam strikes & finishers to help keep HP, blur & to-hit up), which means 38 in water stance, or can push to 40 with ship buff & if/when i get a +2 exceptional wisdom thingy. This could naturally be even higher if i respecced to actually have a decent wisdom score - her wisdom is currently only 22 including fire stance debuff, conc opp item & a +2 tome.
    This is possible as since the changes to stunning fist a while back, the DC is now based off your character level rather than monk class level.. hypothetically meaning any 18/2 cleric/monk caster build using appropriate handwraps could potentially get a stunning fist higher than any monk, since a proper monk would be splitting points between various attribtes.. of course, actually hitting the opponent with it would then be the problem!
    As something of a side note, sadly the other change introduced at the same time was to make healing ki work based only on monk level not character level as it had previously
    I rolled up a 12 Fighter/7Monk/1 Rogue when they made this change - figured to push the Stunning Fist/Blow DCs as high as I could while still getting some use from the FoL. Went human instead of Dwarf (for the racial bonus to stun) 'cause I like the extra healing amp, and I seem to recall that I wasn't impressed with the 50+DCs I could be mistaken that I was getting.

Have you had much success with 40 DC in level 20 content? I gave up on my Fighter before I could get him capped, so never tried the harder stuff.

Honestly i dont really run epics that much, especially on that character.. but in a normal ToD her stunning fists seem pretty reliable. For levelling & running most quests its pretty decent though.

Regardless, theres always that 5% chance of them rolling a 1.. if the ki is there anyway, and the attack deals normal damage (in addition to the stun attempt) regardless, then why not include it in your attacks? you're not really lessening your dps by much at all, and if you get lucky then theyre stunned for a few moments & take that +50% damage from all sources.. which may well be an allies incoming AoE, or a proc from a lit2/alchemical weapon/radiant burst, or the next couple of ticks from a divine punishment.

Honestly i dont really run epics that much, especially on that character.. but in a normal ToD her stunning fists seem pretty reliable. For levelling & running most quests its pretty decent though.

Regardless, theres always that 5% chance of them rolling a 1.. if the ki is there anyway, and the attack deals normal damage (in addition to the stun attempt) regardless, then why not include it in your attacks? you're not really lessening your dps by much at all, and if you get lucky then theyre stunned for a few moments & take that +50% damage from all sources.. which may well be an allies incoming AoE, or a proc from a lit2/alchemical weapon/radiant burst, or the next couple of ticks from a divine punishment.
    Once you put it like that, I think you helped me decide on a different feat than the Monk PL @level 3 - Stunning Blow may have a longer timer than Stunning Fist, but my build will have a 34 Str versus an 18 Wis, so I'll run some numbers and see what I can get.

Thanks!

Edit: 10 + 10 (1/2 @20) + 4 (18 Wis modifier) > 10 + 12 (34 Str modifier), so Stunning Fist is still a better choice. Just not necessarily a good choice if I "dump" wisdom.
    Last edited by ArcaneMelee; 01-02-2012 at 02:08 PM.