Community Member

Default Essence Unification

So, we have an essence sundering option, which takes a greater essence and turns it into 5 lesser essences. However there are numerous complaints about it being hard to acquire greater essences... or the outright removal of different types of essences. I'd imagine it is because of the pain it may be having a flood of lesser essences but not enough greater essences.

Why don't we have an "essence unification" option as well? This would take lesser essences and turn them into a greater essence. It could just be 5 lesser essence = 1 greater essence or 6 lesser essence = 1 greater essence.

Or perhaps we could mix it up a bit. Add a new crafting item (say, cream of conjunction or something less cheesy) in which you buy from plat. So it would take 5 or 6 lesser essences + <new item> to make a greater essence.

Or, we could even require a lesser essence previous in the cycles of transformation. For example, divine essences can be transformed into a good essence. So if we want to combine our 5 good essences into a greater good essence, we also need a lesser divine essence. ... or maybe we can go the other direction in the cycle, requiring a lesser chaos essence.

Community Member

Due to moderation issues, when this thread finally did appear, it was at the bottom of the front page. And so far it has only receive 25 views. So I am bumping this just this once. Sorry for the double post.

I think it should stay the way it is.

Sure it's not pleasant to run out of greater essences while having a big stack of lessers left.
    But it would be too easy if you could just create greaters. Go out and loot chests. The process is meant to take some time.

If you could just turn one into another and the other way around too, the seperation of lesser and greater would be redundant.
    NedrilFavored Soul . GidraMonkcher . LambalorBard . Cannith

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by gDra View Post
    Sure it's not pleasant to run out of greater essences while having a big stack of lessers left.
    But it would be too easy if you could just create greaters. Go out and loot chests. The process is meant to take some time.

If you could just turn one into another and the other way around too, the seperation of lesser and greater would be redundant.
    Well that's not entirely true. Greater essences are very similar to higher denominations. They're a lot like a dollar, and lessers are like quarters. But lessers are often times received in odd quantities from deconstructing which are not in multiples of 5. We can't have fractions of items in DDO, so... they're what we have to deal with when deconstructing.

Also, if you think about it, all this suggestion does is open up more possibilities for a small loss. If you think it would be "too easy", we can make the conversion back to greaters more wasteful. And THEN... here's where we get you. If you converted too many lesser essences to greaters, you wouldn't have enough to make high level shards of potential. Then that could cost you more, in terms of work, if you had to convert back.

It is also possible to use up large numbers of excess lesser essences by creating Shards of Potential, which are very useful shards to have.
    Snarly Dwarf Chick With A Great Axe

Believe it or not, later on it's lesser essences that tend to become the limiting factor... but because *all* essences are hard enough to come by, you don't ever feel like splitting the greaters to get the lessers. Or at least, I don't

Some lesser essences are much harder to come by than others, and when you want to craft a particular shard - either for levelling or because you actually want it - and get stymied by the lack of lesser essences, it can be frustrating. Sure, you'll usually end up with "excess" body and arcane lessers, but that's about it. And as soon as you regularly craft unbound shards of potential to +9, the thousands of "extras" turn out to be "not enough by a long way".

Also remember that when crafting for non-crafters, they're likely to be able to give you greater essences, but as lessers only come from deconstruction they won't have any of those. And people don't yet really "get" this, so when they're looking up recipes they want you to make they note the 32 greater essences they have to give you to make the shard, but more-or-less discount the 192 lessers... even though that equates to 38.4 more greaters that need to be broken down!
    Crime in multi-storey car parks: it's wrong on so many levels.

Quote Originally Posted by gDra View Post

This logic doesn't hold water. You already can convert lessers to greaters for all but Law essences by making a bunch of 0 greater 4 lesser recipes and then deconstructing them. It's not hard or particularly time-consuming.

Not having the feature serves absolutely zero purpose other than annoyance, which makes it pretty tough to justify.

I know and I used that workaround too, when I wanted to make a particular shard.
    However it is time-consuming depending on the amount you want to make.

Imo it was made this way for a purpose.
    Greater Essences - Time sink: aquired by looting chests (playing quests)
    Lesser Essences - Money sink: aquired by deconstructing items (loosing out on the platinum from selling)
    NedrilFavored Soul . GidraMonkcher . LambalorBard . Cannith

Community Member

Again, does not hold water... You know greater essences can be gained from deconstructing as well, so it does not make any sense why you keep saying to just loot chests. And the fact that you say gaining lessers only from "money sinks" (aka only deconstructing) is also wrong because there is an option to convert greater essences into lessers.

Greater essence:
    gained from quest rewards
    gained from chests
    gained from deconstructing (which can include MORE chests/rewards and buying gears, and from shards made from your lesser essences).

Lesser essence:
    gained from greater essences (see above where they come from)
    gained from deconstructing (again, which can come from chest loot/rewards, not just buying gears).

Anyway, I REALLY do not think it is a smart move when designing a crafting system, if there are two similar, slightly related items where the only reason they exist as different objects is to cause hindrance.