Default Who messed up a good thing?

Take a step back and look at what crafting was a month ago. It wasn't too expensive, it wasn't a game breaker, and anyone could do it. But a handful, or possibly even a couple dozen players, with large resources, grinded out and capped crafting at breakneck speed. That wasn't the bad part, the bad part was that they bragged and told everyone. That got the devs worried, caused them to over-react, and ultimately messed it up for the rest of us.

Admittedly, I never planned to cap my crafting, GS is useable at a lower level and much better overall, although I have made a few mid level items for my toons. I saw crafting as a means for those who were annoyed at picking up "ghost touch of backstabbing" weapons or "full plate of silent moves" armor, could craft non-redundant equipment. I made a "+3 keen repeating xbow of puncturing" for my mechanic, and a few other minor items for other alts and all seemed well, for the "casual" gamer I claim to be.

Am I alone in thinking that it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg to craft a 6th level(+1 GEOB) weapon? Maybe for a +5 Holy burst GEOB but not the bare bones one. IMHO the system wasn't bad. In the future, maybe the devs should come out with the harder version first, and later on soften it up. If they would have come out with the extreme version first, then dropped back to where we are at now, the only complaint they would be getting would be "easy button" from the elite gamers, the rest would be praising them.

End of line...
    Every time mankind makes something new, improved and idiot-proof... nature comes out with a new idiot.

Community Member

Crafting = Recycling
    You take useless Vendor Trash and turn it into temporarily useful Vendor Trash. Anything truly useful will cost TP (be it an adventure pack to grind or DDOStore ingredients to buy).

Dogan
    Entering the cynical stage, 3yrs of DDO before I finally feel its played out.

Quote Originally Posted by Doganpc View Post
    Crafting = Recycling
    You take useless Vendor Trash and turn it into temporarily useful Vendor Trash.
    Problem was: somebody was recycling perfectly serviceable low level gear.
    Outfitting a new character was pretty much impossible: low level marketplace brokers had empty inventories.
    Anything that could be disjointed, was, trash or not.

Finding a mundane necklace of +3 disabling was a real challenge.
    Either it dropped for you, or you had to fork out 10000 pp on AH.

I don't really know who broke it, how and why.
    I'm currently switching to my seldom played alts, and see how it works out.
    * Live by the Pencil - My D&D-related Art * <-> * Focus Orb Paperbag - My Workaround for Helves *

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alabore View Post
    Problem was: somebody was recycling perfectly serviceable low level gear.
    Outfitting a new character was pretty much impossible: low level marketplace brokers had empty inventories.
    Anything that could be disjointed, was, trash or not.

Finding a mundane necklace of +3 disabling was a real challenge.
    Either it dropped for you, or you had to fork out 10000 pp on AH.
    I don't know if your server is just much, much richer than mine or what, but I never, ever paid more than 200 PP (because I'm a cheapskate) for a +3 skill item or its equivalent, and I was consistently able to buy them en masse. I mean, rarely the AH would feel "bought out" and empty at that price level, but only rarely.

To my mind the expense of outfitting a lower level character had a lot more to do with general inflation, which is an understandable result of having a lot of rich players around. Very little of value got deconstructed, and there was plenty decent but not great equipment available in the 500 - 2000 PP range.

And of course, crafting made it much EASIER for a new player to afford to pay thousands of plat for equipment, since every lousy X-touch weapon could sell for 150 or 200 (or more I guess, but not to me), and if you happen to pull a stack of essences on one of your many, many low level chests, hey there's a few thousand plat right there.

I bet it's much harder to get off the ground now than it was, although perhaps the festival coins ameliorate this somewhat.

Finally, I must point out, and I'm sure I'm not alone, that the stuff I personally find now which previously I would have deconstructed, I just vendor instead. Like most players who are even a little bit established, I only put on the AH what will sell for prices above what folks would pay for deconstruction.

Community Member

Wish my server had the low prices mentioned but sadly it doesnt. I hvae too, have seen the marketplace vendors completely out of stock. It was frustrating to say the least of starting a new chaarcter and not being able to get any type of decent gear for them. I would routinely check the vendors in the market, usually marketplace 1 - 3 and if I was lucky to find a TOTAL if 5 items from level 5 brokers in all instances I was lucky. The only item you could count on finding was the ring of time. What is really funny, or sad depending on how you look at it, since the crafting hall has been closed, finding low levels items now is very easy. I managed to outfit my level 5 with some things that I needed for him.

Now with the release of the latest crafting, other items have gone crazy in price. A +1 tome whichi was selling for 20k, which was up from 10k some months ago, was now selling for 40k or higher. So being able to find the items to build a low level charatcer just got that much difficult.

I would like all items from vendors to be unusable in crafting. Only items found in questing would be usable to breakdown and deconstrcut. It would help those just starting to be able to build a character with a decent chance and it would slow down people from hitting those higher levels in crafting faster. I know it wont happen but it cant hurt to dream a little I guess.