Turbine Community Team FordyTwo's Avatar

Default Cleric 101 is Live!

Cleric 101 is now live in the Compendium -- click here to check it out.

A super-massive critical thanks to everyone who participated in the Cleric 101 feedback thread -- you guys rock!
    Kyle "FordyTwo" Horner
    "I want to go back to being weird. I like being weird. Weird is all I've got. That and my sweet style." -Moss

Looks good except one thing: wisdom has no effect on spell die rolls, caster level does.

• WIS – For the cleric, Wisdom (WIS) is the most important stat. WIS determines how many bonus Spell Points (SP) a cleric has, the raw might of a cleric's spells, and how hard those spells are to resist.
    Sarlona: Riyana | Ilyrae | Elaeria | Arlayh | Aryis | Lyanis | Yaera | Kyilsi | Malitae | Niariel | Laeriya
    'Polluting Sarlona with gimpy elves since 2009.'
    Endgame

Quote Originally Posted by k1ngp1n View Post
    Looks good except one thing: wisdom has no effect on spell die rolls, caster level does.
    But it does increase spell DCs?
    -Thelanis toons- Alektronic (pdk pally), Bakeneko (monk), Ghyldra (druid), Hermeros (crafter), Lecker (wf wiz),
    Panaceus (elemental barb), Quallus (SDK), Taigong (acrobat), Vamprix (archmage of vengeance), Vercigetorix (bard)

• CON – Directly affecting your Hit Points (HP) means that a healthy Constitution (CON) score is wise to have; we recommend clerics have at least a 14 CON score.
    Oh, I think there's a certain MyDDO blogger that is fuming about how high this Con is...

Other than that, I think your description of Charisma undervalues it a bit. You say:

However, players who do not plan to take Turn Undead-related enhancements do not generally need a high CHA score.
    Which *sounds* good. If you ignore the fact that the only PrE in game for them right now is Radiant Servant, which goes off of turn attempts for aura activation and bursts. I'm not saying tell them to max Charisma or something, but it seems... misrepresented? Not sure on the best word for it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDearLeader View Post
    Oh, I think there's a certain MyDDO blogger that is fuming about how high this Con is...

Other than that, I think your description of Charisma undervalues it a bit. You say:

Which *sounds* good. If you ignore the fact that the only PrE in game for them right now is Radiant Servant, which goes off of turn attempts for aura activation and bursts. I'm not saying tell them to max Charisma or something, but it seems... misrepresented? Not sure on the best word for it.
    Concur with the above poster on this one.
    further, I think cha and str should be weighted equally on a cleric unless the goal is to make a melee focused
    cleric.
    The Office of the Exchequer. 1750 on all live servers via Pure pugging. Thank you very much to all who helped carry a gimp . (wayfinder was a soloist build)

Community Member

Please Please Please remove the Heal skill from that list. It is a waste of points and further forces Clerics to farm gear for skills that keep them in the fight.

Primary:
    balance: cant heal if you cant get off the ground
    concentration: going to need as much as you can get if you do not take Quicken
    Tumble: At least one FULL point

Secondary:
    Jump: Your run speed is already low, its embarrassing when you cant clear short jumps.

With INT probably being your dumpstat, unless you are melee capable, your already going to have a tough time having good scores in these.

Quote Originally Posted by Alektronic View Post
    But it does increase spell DCs?
    Yes, and that part of the description is correct. Casting stat = spell DCs, spell damage comes from caster levels and enhancements/items/etc. That stat itself plays no role in the damage output. A high WIS cleric hits on a cometfall or a heal for the same damage as a low WIS (provided the mob doesn't make the save).
    Sarlona: Riyana | Ilyrae | Elaeria | Arlayh | Aryis | Lyanis | Yaera | Kyilsi | Malitae | Niariel | Laeriya
    'Polluting Sarlona with gimpy elves since 2009.'
    Endgame

Love the comedian still attacking it for having too much Con.

They remind me of the 200hp cleric that run A New Invasion with me a while back. We stopped raising them after 3 or 4 deaths in the Barnzidu fight, fortunately the rogue had enough Heal scrolls to heal the group through that fight. They were getting one-shot by the boss's Fireballs.

Gotta love a cleric so bad that the rogue is a better healer...

8 Strength clerics are pretty bad healers too. One Ray of Enfeeblement, and your Cleric is unable to cast a spell and stuck asking someone for a Restoration...
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Quote Originally Posted by likuei View Post
    Please Please Please remove the Heal skill from that list. It is a waste of points and further forces Clerics to farm gear for skills that keep them in the fight.

Primary:
    balance: cant heal if you cant get off the ground
    concentration: going to need as much as you can get if you do not take Quicken
    Tumble: At least one FULL point

Secondary:
    Jump: Your run speed is already low, its embarrassing when you cant clear short jumps.

With INT probably being your dumpstat, unless you are melee capable, your already going to have a tough time having good scores in these.
    Why get a rank in tumble?

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

Default gee i dont know

i play cleric only for 3 years . and feel it is true becasue when my wisdom drops from switching to an item situationally , i canntget off some spells but when i go full 40 wisdom i have np in epic getting off spells like energy drain and pursuation etc .

Yes, and that part of the description is correct. Casting stat = spell DCs, spell damage comes from caster levels and enhancements/items/etc. That stat itself plays no role in the damage output. A high WIS cleric hits on a cometfall or a heal for the same damage as a low WIS (provided the mob doesn't make the save).
    Ah, I see what you were saying there. I didn't misunderstand, but that's prolly cuz I already know. Good catch.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    8 Strength clerics are pretty bad healers too. One Ray of Enfeeblement, and your Cleric is unable to cast a spell and stuck asking someone for a Restoration...
    Suck it up. Drink a pot!

-An anonymous barb's answer to any and every problem...
    Last edited by Alektronic; 07-15-2011 at 08:43 AM.
    -Thelanis toons- Alektronic (pdk pally), Bakeneko (monk), Ghyldra (druid), Hermeros (crafter), Lecker (wf wiz),
    Panaceus (elemental barb), Quallus (SDK), Taigong (acrobat), Vamprix (archmage of vengeance), Vercigetorix (bard)

Quote Originally Posted by TheDearLeader View Post

I think they're upset with Toughness instead of Mental Toughness.

To much CON and toughness means way to many HP.
    Disappointed and without trust in the powers that be.
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Fansites