Default Thoughts on crafting costs, and a suggestion

I am pretty sure that I understand the reasoning behind increasing the costs of crafting valuable shards. Namely, that once a player gets through the grind of raising their crafting levels sufficiently high, then these previously extraordinarily valuable effects become trivially low cost to apply to your weapons. Not sure I agree that this is a problem, but if I accept that this is bad, then adding valuable ingredients to craft valuable shards is a nice way to prevent the eventual glut of GEOB shards.

Under the old system the cost to crafting used to be in the large number of essences required to level your crafting skills. (I will ignore certain carpal-tunnel inducing methods that are more time- but less resource-intensive. If you can spare 100+ hours to make/deconstruct low level shards, then there is probably nothing in the game that you can't grind out eventually. And I think 100+ hours would still only get you into the 50's or 60's)

So, now we have a double-whammy in terms of crafting costs. The massive one-time investment in time and plat buys us the ability to spend even more to get the shards we really want. The real kicker here is that these shards will cost the same every time you want to make another one. The combination of these two costs seems like it has the strong potential to preclude the more casual gamer from even trying to get in to crafting. I consider myself a moderately casual gamer (whatever that means), and I'm thinking twice and thrice about continuing to try and level my crafting out of the 40's, as the costs just seem insurmountable.

This brings me to my suggestion: an across-the-board percentage reduction in the number of greater and lesser essences required for all shards. I don't have any way of knowing what would be an appropriate reduction (my first thought was 50%, but I suppose 25% would be acceptable as well).

In conclusion, in order to preserve crafting as an attainable goal of all gamers, while still preventing highly valuable shards from becoming overly common, the number of greater and lesser essences required for all shard recipes should be decreased.

Quote Originally Posted by whomhead View Post
    once a player gets through the grind of raising their crafting levels sufficiently high, then these previously extraordinarily valuable effects become trivially low cost to apply to your weapons. Not sure I agree that this is a problem
    I can't philosophically agree it's a problem, even in a hypothetical sense. Either the grind to get there is expensive and then you can mass produce, or each item is itself expensive and there's no grind to get there. Making both the grind to get there and the items themselves expensive results in a wholly nonviable system.

As I understand it, the problem the devs wanted to address is the proliferation of overpowered bane weapons. This problem was ever only a figment of their imagination, since the astronomical costs to produce a single high-level unbound bane weapon is probably around a million plat before the current changes went into effect. I can't imagine them being mass-produced by anyone for profit.

But okay, let's say someone had a billion plat and could do it. The simple fix is to make shards of potential the bottleneck. Instead, they opted to raise the prices on a truckload of shards. Not their finest hour.