Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast

Post Crafting Changes in Update 10.1

A patch is going live tomorrow that includes changes to crafting. Some of these changes are simply conveniences (recipes can now pull ingredients out of bags, device animations have been sped up, etc), but there are also a fair number of recipe changes.

The release notes will have more details about the patch, but here is an early look at the types of changes you're going to see in the crafting devices:
    • All of the regular Bane & Greater Bane recipes, as well as well as recipes for several of the other more powerful effects in game, have been updated. The changes involve swapping ingredients or adding in additional ones.
      • Some of the additional ingredients are new. One is called the 'Purified Eberron Dragonshard Fragment' and can be obtained from the crafting vendor in exchange for various precious items and others are specific to certain regions of the game.
      • Other ingredient additions include Soul Gems, potions from favor reward vendors, and various slayer arrows found in treasure throughout the game.
    • Named raid loot will not be used as one of the new ingredient types - it is not our intention to use named raid loot as a part of the cannith crafting so that crafting remains accessible to a variety of players.

Many of these recipes, when combined with other effects available in crafting can result in extremely powerful items that approach raid loot. All in all this is a good thing; after all, crafting is a fair alternative to raiding. We just want to ensure that there's a sense of balance between the various routes. We were concerned that some of these items may be too easy to create once you attained the required crafting level and we didn't want to upset the equilibrium of the game. We would rather proceed cautiously.

That said, we would like your feedback on these changes and the overall balance of crafting. Just because something is on the live servers doesn't mean it is set in stone at this point; crafting is still in 'beta' for this reason and we expect to make further balance changes.

I will stress that constructive feedback is helpful; rage/quit/conspiracy theories are not. We get that many of you are very passionate about the game and we deeply appreciate that, but please continue to make sure your feedback is actionable and constructive. We're looking forward to a continued dialog with our players about crafting, and encourage you to check out the changes in the patch and share your feedback.
    The kobold cannot be marked as junk because it cannot be sold. You can destroy it by dragging and dropping it outside your inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Named raid loot will not be used as one of the new ingredient types - it is not our intention to use named raid loot as a part of the cannith crafting so that crafting remains accessible to a variety of players.
    I like the slayer arrow & soul gems idea over Raid Loot.
    That said, we would like your feedback on these changes and the overall balance of crafting. Just because something is on the live servers doesn't mean it is set in stone at this point; crafting is still in 'beta' for this reason and we expect to make further balance changes.
    But please remove Astral Diamonds and anything else from the Beta version of crafting that can be purchased with Turbine Points.
    Last edited by Sillk; 07-12-2011 at 04:50 PM.

madfloyd:

question. you say no bound raid loot. are you going to require named items?

if so could you explain your reasoning behind that?

hob
    main toons: hauteur(silly caster) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly paladin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

obtained from the crafting vendor in exchange for various precious items and others are specific to certain regions of the game.
    Examples, please?
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

please, no favor reward stuff as materials
    soul gems, yes
    slayer arrows, yes
    collectibles, yes
    unique rare drops, bad idea
    non-static quest reward, bad idea
    favor-reward, bad idea

and please fix the problem with prepping throwing weapons
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

Detailed explanation of whats going on
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Examples, please?
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Purified_Ebe...shard_Fragment

Community Member bradleyforrest's Avatar

That's accurate as of last friday. We need to know if it changed. I certainly hope that it did.

Please tell me that "precious items" does not include astral diamonds. Such bald-faced loot-buying does not belong in DDO.

Favor reward potions? Not a good idea. The favor rewards that provide potions (Yugo and Silver Flame) are among the most sought after already, and the most obviously tied to P2P content. If you want to incorporate favor, use rewards that are currently questionable (House J & D especially).

Slayer arrows, interesting and reasonable, but not looking forward to having to collect the dang things...

Soul Gems? Not terrible, but I'm not a fan. Games should reward fun and challenging activities, and farming soul gems is neither.

I'm hoping that unbound-but-still-ridiculous things like Spectral Gloves are gone, but I suppose that'll have to wait to see.

[*]Other ingredient additions include Soul Gems, potions from favor reward vendors, and various slayer arrows found in treasure throughout the game.
    So crafters will have to grind for favor? And buy content packs they would otherwise ignore? Requiring bound favor rewards which require you to buy unpopular adventure packs to obtain them invites the conspiracy theorists.

Many of these recipes, when combined with other effects available in crafting can result in extremely powerful items that approach raid loot. All in all this is a good thing; after all, crafting is a fair alternative to raiding. We just want to ensure that there's a sense of balance between the various routes. We were concerned that some of these items may be too easy to create once you attained the required crafting level and we didn't want to upset the equilibrium of the game. We would rather proceed cautiously.

I will stress that constructive feedback is helpful; rage/quit/conspiracy theories are not. We get that many of you are very passionate about the game and we deeply appreciate that, but please continue to make sure your feedback is actionable and constructive. We're looking forward to a continued dialog with our players about crafting, and encourage you to check out the changes in the patch and share your feedback.
    /read by a crafter

In the interests of maximum constructiveness, can you clarify whether the intent is for an up and coming player to craft for themselves, or if you'd rather we approach this from the perspective of semi-retired toons helping out newer players, or, if it's to be something in the middle, what weight to give to one end or the other of the spectrum? It does rather make quite a bit of difference in terms of what notions not to bother bringing up.

I hope silver flame pots are not still in the recipies.

I can see the intentions, but remember:

- Bound to character (annoying if you are using a low level alt for your crafter)
    - To get these you need something like 4 packs (not sure if you can get the required favor with less)

I like the idea of slayer arrows being used as well as soul gems is good, any kind of named item is a bad idea though due to the number you have to do in order to level.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
    madfloyd:

question. you say no bound raid loot. are you going to require named items?

if so could you explain your reasoning behind that?

hob

There will be no named equippable items used as ingredients.
    The kobold cannot be marked as junk because it cannot be sold. You can destroy it by dragging and dropping it outside your inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay203 View Post
    please, no favor reward stuff as materials
    This.

You have been good so far about separating build from crafting ability in every way, which is an excellent design decision.

Unfortunately, requiring BTC favor rewards for crafting breaks this, and is a poor choice.

Please Either:
    A) Do not require BTC favor rewards to craft BTA (or unbound) shards
    B) Change said BTC favor rewards to be BTA

Cheers,
    Kernal

One is called the 'Purified Eberron Dragonshard Fragment'
    That said, we would like your feedback on these changes and the overall balance of crafting...continued dialog with our players about crafting, and encourage you to check out the changes in the patch and share your feedback.
    going ahead with the purified shard, eh? yuck. pay-to-win. not a fan.

as to feedback, well, release notes please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Quote Originally Posted by kernal42 View Post
    this.

You Have Been Good So Far About Separating Build From Crafting Ability In Every Way, Which Is An Excellent Design Decision.

Unfortunately, Requiring Btc Favor Rewards For Crafting Breaks This, And Is A Poor Choice.

Please Either:
    A) Do Not Require Btc Favor Rewards To Craft Bta (or Unbound) Shards
    B) Change Said Btc Favor Rewards To Be Bta

Cheers,
    Kernal
    /qft
    Quote Originally Posted by Philam View Post
    I nominate you as head developer of DDO!
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    That tears it. I need to get a donkey.
    Concentrated power is the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by B.Ogre View Post
    going ahead with the purified shard, eh? yuck. pay-to-win. not a fan.

as to feedback, well, release notes please.
    It's really not pay-to-win. You can create them in ample quantities from cheap & available +1 tomes; astral diamonds are not required.

You can save plat with TP, but that's no different from the mnemonic pots already in place.

-Kernal

Community Member bradleyforrest's Avatar

There is some good news and some bad news in this update. I'm happy to see that all of the named raid drops have been removed from the recipes. I'm also happy that there's a reason to pick up arrows (what about crossbow bolts?) and Soul Gems now.

I'm unhappy that we are going to need to use those purified dragonshards. I suppose it makes sense for some of the high level effects, but the avenues available to gain them (as of friday) are too narrow. Not everyone plays epics. Spending TP on them is out of line because it gives an advantage to those with the most disposable income. That leaves only tomes as the final alternative, and those aren't all that common, either.

If you're going to insist on using the PDs, then take a look at the quantities that are needed for the recipes. 16 for a single shard is a bit much.

Another thought: What happens if you fail to create a shard with these special ingredients? Currently, you lose 50% of the ingredients to a failure. Will this be the case for the costly ingredients? I certainly hope not.

I'm also saddened that you're keeping in the favor reward ingredients. I assume this means the Silver Flame Healing Potion. The major issue with this is that in order to get the favor required to buy these, you must either be VIP or own 5 adventure packs. That is a problem for some people.

All in all, this looks like a step in the right direction, but there are some stumbling blocks that you're hitting. There are other better options available to make recipes harder to craft beyond PDs and favor rewards.

Quote Originally Posted by Scraap View Post
    /read by a crafter

In the interests of maximum constructiveness, can you clarify whether the intent is for an up and coming player to craft for themselves, or if you'd rather we approach this from the perspective of semi-retired toons helping out newer players, or, if it's to be something in the middle, what weight to give to one end or the other of the spectrum? It does rather make quite a bit of difference in terms of what notions not to bother bringing up.
    I would like to see players (not necessarily characters) crafting for themselves.

I would like to see players (not necessarily characters) crafting for themselves.
    Doesn't soul gems, favor rewards, BtC vs BtA contradict/preempt this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast