Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is kind of wild because this build is what I rolled for my FVS. I did this in December of 2009. I kind of abandoned the build because 1) it was trying to do too many things and 2) I didn't know enough about the game to play it correctly.

http://my.ddo.com/character/ghallanda/essk/

Since returning to the build about a month ago I found that I had enough WIS to safely convert it to an Evoker-wannabe. The only TWF feat I have left is the first one and I would swap that if I didn't plan to TR.

Edit: While I was typing you posted that you are switching to an Evoker, so I've deleted much of my post and will just say I support that fully.

Copy/paste Impact's build and give him credit.
    I am the natural one.
    "When life gives you excrement, make Excrement Golems."
    Disclaimer: My greenies come from comedy. I should not be confused with those who are knowledgeable and helpful.

As a FvS,you can save a decent amount of spell slots by using wands and scrolls for certain spells.

Things like remove curse,remove blindness,truesight to a point,are all just as good off of a consumable and will save your spell points for in-combat heals and offensive casting.

It might be a bit pricey starting off buying these things from a vendor,but a wand of say remove curse will last you quite a bit of time and can be found all over the place as you adventure.

(Also,if you intend on being more melee oriented,don't forget to use Ardor potions or clickies of the appropriate level of potency to avoid the bother of switching to a devotion or potency item mid combat.)
    Last edited by AndyD47; 07-12-2011 at 11:18 AM. Reason: (edit)
    Thelanis/Anndii 18 FvS Evoker - Ferrocious 20 Sorcerer
    Sarlona/Pherrocious TR Artificer in progress - Heborric 20 Rogue -Aparal 20 FvS

Quote Originally Posted by FordyTwo View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone!

After some discussion, we've all agreed that switching this over from a melee FvS to Evoker is a better choice. We want new players looking over these guides in the future to understand that there's more than just humans to pick from, and we also want to avoid a new player guide that requires a double-purchase of both FvS and one of the premium races.

So if anyone would like to make suggestions for a 28pt build Evoker FvS elf, please feel free. I'll be putting this together as the day goes on.
    For a pure evoker build, anything not human would be suboptimal (elven provides to benefit to evoker, while losing out on 2con... human gives the free feat... you can get extend/shield mastery/lots of great choices here).
    I run a pure 20 elven scimmy build that, I think, does great for what it does. Just would have tweaked a few feat choices in your original build, but I think it was fine. Mine's a 32 point build, so I put str at 17, and bumped int up to 10.
    /shrug
    -Thelanis toons- Alektronic (wolf), Bakeneko (monk), Ghyldra (druid), Hermeros (crafter), Lecker (wf wiz),
    Panaceus (elemental barb), Quallus (SDK), Taigong (acrobat), Vamprix (warlock), Vercigetorix (bard)

Quote Originally Posted by Diarden View Post
    Don't get me wrong, Maximize and empower are awesome, but with a PURE build, you dont have the feats to do it.

My FVS has Max/Emp, has high DC's while still putting out great dps. It's essential in a hybrid, absolutely.
    Not true Diarden - you're just not seeing what dkyle is saying.

Feats: Empower, Maximize, Quicken, Extend, Toughness, Improved Crit, Power Attack, Weapon Proficiency

Swing a falchion or greataxe or eSOS.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Hint1:
    A favoured soul gets to choose new spells as they level up and in addition can change ONE spell every THREE days at the class trainer for a platinum cost. Change your spells as you level up to suit your circumstances. e.g. You may start with single target Shield of Faith 1st level spell, when you choose the Shield of Faith Mass spell you should replace the 1st level spell. The only other way to change your spells (all at once) is to drink Blood of the Dragons a very rare item that drops from chests or can be bought from the DDO Store.

Hint2:
    Favoured souls are Divines and expected to be party healers - you can do this as well as being a great offensive spell casters. You don't need every single cure spell and with the limited spell seleection you cannot afford to carry them all. You need 1-2 single target Cure, 1-2 Mass Cures, Heal and Mass Heal (5 spells).

Hint3:
    The Heal and Mass Heal spells cure a lot of things such as Poison, Disease, Ability Drain, Blindness etc in addition to Hit Points and can replace all of those other curative spells. Restoration and Remove Curse are the main two curative spells not covered by Heal/Mass Heal.

Community Member twiliteslayer02's Avatar

Default halfling megahealer

Jst a 2cp here,
    I have a halfling fvs,took the path of unyeilding soverignty
    with 32 pt build i put cha and wis at 16 and the rest into con and str.
    she took the full line of dragon marks, AND has the angel of vengeance pre.
    At level 11 I have several "free" clw and csw thru the dragon mark
    I use the given longsword prof, and carry a shield with deotion on it
    Of note, shes no monster for dps, but with proper gear ant tactics, can handle herself for most things at level.
    For spells, I now have Mass cure light, cure serious, sure moderate, al of my dragonmarks and took the exra Dm enhancement line.
    have hold person, soundburst, command(may switch to divine punishment)(also resists, shield of faith, mass aid, rem curse)
    she is alot of fun, and has massive amounts of healing in a tiny little package.

of note, i wrote this from memory, could be a few omissions or inconsistancies.
    Rageforged

Great suggestions! I'll add those in. (I can't believe I missed Leap of Faith -- d'oh!)
    How dare you forget wings?!?!?

as said before, you did not include maximize or empower heal for feats...this can and will lead to problems while raid healing unless you plan on dumping your sp bar. the 18/2 fvs/monk allows the feat makeup to make it work.

for a new player, however, if they wanted to make a melee fvs...i would definitely suggest a THF over a TWF toon.

anyway, that's my 2 copper. great work on these 101 guides Fordy
    Toastee McRoastybuns - Shinigamii - Theifing Slum - Bakabaka - Salsasnack - Tssst The Dog Whisperer
    MrBlonde - Omakase Omnomnom - Austrian Deathmachine - Consonar Crazy Ivan
    Ascent

If you don't want to do another Human, FvS isn't a good choice. There's really very little compelling about any race besides Human for a casting-focused FvS. Best potential WIS, extra feat, no CON penalty. Elf just has nothing going for it. Honestly, I'd rather make a Dwarf or Halfling FvS.

Thanks for the input everyone!

After some discussion, we've all agreed that switching this over from a melee FvS to Evoker is a better choice. We want new players looking over these guides in the future to understand that there's more than just humans to pick from, and we also want to avoid a new player guide that requires a double-purchase of both FvS and one of the premium races.

So if anyone would like to make suggestions for a 28pt build Evoker FvS elf, please feel free. I'll be putting this together as the day goes on.
    No need: impaqt made a perfectly good thread a while back and has updated it since then. Check it out here.

I just see no metagame reason to pick elf. No actual bonuses for a casting FvS and -2 con. Seriously, rangers and wizards are viable as elves and fit the theme of the arcane-revering race, so save elf for what it's good at: ranged and wizards. Humans make good beginner 101 builds; when you're writing Bard 301 you can go wild and make a bard spellsinger + arcane archer elf hybrid or whatever. But with a basic build, humans just universally make sense due to their extra feat & skill, and their toughness, healing amp, and ability score enhancements.

Str 10
    Dex 8
    Con 14 (32 pts go 16 con)
    Int 8
    Wis 18
    Cha 12 (Not really necessary, but new players need to be able to cast spells and with 12 starting Cha that should be super easy to do while leveling up; is it worth 20 hp or 1 skill for a newbie? in my opinion, yes).

Feats:
    1. Empower Healing/Shield Mastery/Extend (user choice)
    1. Toughness
    3. SF: Evocation
    6. Maximize
    9. Empower
    12. Quicken
    15. GSF: Evocation (for Blade Barrier) or Spell Penetration (for Implosion)
    18. Heighten

Special
    5. Fire Resistance
    10. Lightning Resistance
    15. Cold Resistance

Deity: Silver Flame

Enhancements:

These enhancements boost your characters healing effectiveness; Life Magic provides a boost to your healing power and the Prayer of Life and Prayer of Incredible Life improve your chances and the power of your critical heals which restore extra hitpoints for the same spellpoint cost.

• Favored Soul Life Magic: I, II, III & IV
    • Favored Soul Prayer of Life: I & II
    • Favored Soul Prayer of Incredible Life: I & II

These enhancements provide a small bonus to your ability scores, health, spell points, and innate healing amplification, providing a small boost to your character overall. Take more if you like. More wisdom will make it harder to resist your potent spells.

• Favored Soul Wisdom I & II
    • Favored Soul Charisma I & II
    • Racial Toughness: I & II
    • Favored Soul Toughness: I & II
    • Favored Soul Energy of the Scion: I, II & III
    • Human Improved Recovery: I
    • Human Adaptability: Wisdom

To strike some enemies with your spells you'll need to penetrate their spell resistance. You also might want to consider boosting the damage of some of your light and alignment spells (this is required for the Angel of Vengeance prestige enhancement, below, but its not bad to get in its own right).

• Favored Soul Smiting I, II & III
    • Favored Soul Improved Spell Penetration I & II

Followers of the Silver Flame are witch-hunters, demon slayers and paladins who strive to fight back the darkness and keep evil at bay. As a devoted follower, you'll gain the ability to banish extraplanar creatures back to their homeland with Silver Flame Exorcism. Plus, when you ascend into godhood at level 20, you will gain unlimited use of the Searing light spell at no cost thanks to your capstone, Favored Soul Ascendancy: Light of the Flame.

• Follower of the Silver Flame
    • Sliver Flame Exorcism
    • Favored Soul Ascendancy: Light of the Flame

The Angel of Vengeance prestige enhancement is a potent enhancement that makes any Favored Soul more effective, boosting his or her spells and weakening nearby enemies. As an evoker, you'll smite your enemies with mostly two key spells: Blade Barrier and Implosion; the damage of the Blade Barrier spell is enhanced using the Angel of Vengeance prestige enhancement which provides +30% damage to your fire, physical, and untyped spells. Any enemies who strike you (or your designated champion) have a small chance of suffering divine condemnation, which makes them more vulnerable to you and your party. The menacing aura of this prestige enhancement also debuffs all surrounding enemies.

• Favored Soul Angel of Vengeance I & II

Comments:

-Thematically, Silver Flame is appropriate, although Sovereign Host is probably better overall. We already have a cleric who does that, however, so in this case I don't think unlimited Searing Lights and a nifty (if weak) AoE banishment ability are too bad.
    Last edited by TheDjinnFor; 07-12-2011 at 01:07 PM.

Edited drom stupid stuff I made up, before reading the whole thread.

Why elf? If not human, Dwarf would make a better choice.

Nvm: Elf Evoker

STR 8
    DEX 10
    CON 14
    WIS 16
    INT 10
    CHA 12

Deity: Sovereign Host (recommended especially for lvling) or Silver Flame (personally I just like the capstone)
    Elemental Resistances: lvl 5 Acid, lvl 10 Fire, lvl 15 Elec

Feats:
    1. Toughness
    3. Empower Healing
    6. Maximize
    9. Empower
    12. Quicken
    15. Spell Pen
    18. Heighten

Skills: UMD and Concentration

Enhancements:
    FvS Wis II
    FvS Cha II
    Deity SLA with extreme Cooldown
    Smiting IV
    Smiting Crit Rate III
    Smiting Crit Damage III
    Healing IV
    FvS SP III
    FvS Toughness II
    Racial Toughness II
    Wand and Scroll Mastery IV
    PrE II
    Capstone II

If my math still works, there are two points left for either Spell Pen or Improved Empower

Spells:

Heals and Cures (Heal and Mass,Heal make a lot of things easier)
    Buffs(FoM, Deathward, Stalwart, Prayer, Protection from Evil, Resistance and Protection from Elements)
    CC (Soundburst, Cometfall, Holy Aura)
    Damage (Blade Barrier, Divine Punishment)
    Last edited by lopkon; 07-12-2011 at 12:49 PM.
    ~Denial of Service~
    Suggested Blacklist: Hyanne, Kolastro, Lecolle, Yanola, Schraube, Yumui, Unfaehig, Fakepuppie, Icanhasdw

This appears to be a good start.

However, I have a few suggestions.

#1) While I understand that your template is for an Elf-you may want to elaborate on level 20 DR per religion. For example-a new player may not be aware of the fact that a WF can stack his/her ADM body, DR ADM Enhancement and Lord of Blades DR to an end result of 15 DR ADM.

#2) I’m not sure if I saw Night shield was mentioned-but is almost a must for a level 1 spell to deflect Magic Missiles.

#3) FVS Elemental resistances stack with normal resistances-so a FvS receives a 40 Fire vs 30 (example)

#4) Most new FvS players get locked into the idea that they are very limited in spells available to them. Perhaps a suggestion should be mentioned regarding the ability to use a Wand or scroll for certain spells vs. holding them on your spell bar to give a player more versatility. (for example-most players will carry a remove disease/blindness wand vs. carry the spell-at least until they receive heal and it becomes easier to help party members or themselves. This saves at least 2 spell slots at that level for something else the player may want to cast.)

Turbine Community Team FordyTwo's Avatar

Thanks for the continued feedback guys! After extensive tinkering and discussions, we're inclined to agree that humans offer the most bang-for-buck to newbies rolling an evoker FvS with little-to-no tome additions. We'll still be bringing other races to the fore, but in future guides where it fits better with the class(es) used.

@TheDjinnFor Thanks for the link to Impaqt's guide! I'll update the thread once I've edited the original post with an evoker human FvS template.
    Kyle "FordyTwo" Horner
    "I want to go back to being weird. I like being weird. Weird is all I've got. That and my sweet style." -Moss

Default For an elf.

nvm.
    -Thelanis toons- Alektronic (wolf), Bakeneko (monk), Ghyldra (druid), Hermeros (crafter), Lecker (wf wiz),
    Panaceus (elemental barb), Quallus (SDK), Taigong (acrobat), Vamprix (warlock), Vercigetorix (bard)

If you're going to show two, I'd definitely show a Human Evoker (WIS high, spell focus, etc.) and a WF Melee. If you show a third, it should be a non-DC hybrid (maximize, empower, quicken + melee feats)
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    If you're going to show two, I'd definitely show a Human Evoker (WIS high, spell focus, etc.) and a WF Melee. If you show a third, it should be a non-DC hybrid (maximize, empower, quicken + melee feats)
    That^

If you ever do a FvS 201/301, there's two builds you can use.

A sample Elven TWF FvS:

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.9.1
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Level 1 True Neutral Elf Male
    (1 Favored Soul) 
    Hit Points: 30
    Spell Points: 180 
    BAB: 0
    Fortitude: 4
    Reflex: 5
    Will: 2

Starting          
    Abilities        Base Stats         
    (28 Point)       (Level 1)          
    Strength             14             
    Dexterity            16             
    Constitution         14             
    Intelligence         10             
    Wisdom               10             
    Charisma             10             

Starting          
                     Base Skills        
    Skills           (Level 1)          
    Balance               3             
    Bluff                 0             
    Concentration         6             
    Diplomacy             0             
    Disable Device        n/a           
    Haggle                0             
    Heal                  0             
    Hide                  3             
    Intimidate            0             
    Jump                  6             
    Listen                0             
    Move Silently         3             
    Open Lock             n/a           
    Perform               n/a           
    Repair                0             
    Search                0             
    Spot                  0             
    Swim                  2             
    Tumble                n/a           
    Use Magic Device      n/a           

Level 1 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Diety) Favored by the Undying Court
    Feat: (Selected) Two Weapon Fighting
    Enhancement: Valenar Elf Melee Damage I
    Enhancement: Favored Soul Life Magic I
    Wisdom is not necessary as an elven FvS does not rely on spells to do damage. This is purely a melee-focused build.

Charisma is also not necessary as Favored Souls get enough spell points to be primary healers. And additional charisma adds very little mana.

Skills: Focus on Concentration first. Then Jump and after you get Jump to a sufficient amount, pour points into Balance.

Alignment: Lawful Good is a nice choice, as it allows for Pure Good weapons without UMD.
    Neutral is not a bad choice as it allows for stability items.

Feats:
    TWF, ITWF, GTWF, Improved Critical: Slashing, Toughness, Empower Healing, Quicken

Get another dex increase to cover ITWF, and increase charisma as needed to cover spell-casting requirements.

This is sample 20th level Elven FvS:

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.9.1
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Level 20 True Neutral Elf Male
    (20 Favored Soul) 
    Hit Points: 322
    Spell Points: 1933 
    BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
    Fortitude: 15
    Reflex: 16
    Will: 12

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (28 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 20)
    Strength             14                    16
    Dexterity            16                    18
    Constitution         14                    16
    Intelligence         10                    10
    Wisdom               10                    10
    Charisma             10                    15

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
                     Base Skills         Modified Skills
    Skills           (Level 1)            (Level 20)
    Balance               3                     4
    Bluff                 0                     2
    Concentration         6                    26
    Diplomacy             0                     2
    Disable Device        n/a                   n/a
    Haggle                0                     2
    Heal                  0                     0
    Hide                  3                     4
    Intimidate            0                     2
    Jump                  6                    26
    Listen                0                     2
    Move Silently         3                     4
    Open Lock             n/a                   n/a
    Perform               n/a                   n/a
    Repair                0                     0
    Search                0                     4
    Spot                  0                     4
    Swim                  2                     3
    Tumble                n/a                   n/a
    Use Magic Device      n/a                   n/a

Level 1 (Favored Soul)
    Skill: Concentration (+4)
    Skill: Jump (+4)
    Feat: (Diety) Favored by the Undying Court
    Feat: (Selected) Two Weapon Fighting
    Feat: (Automatic) Attack
    Feat: (Automatic) Elven Keen Senses
    Feat: (Automatic) Enchantment Save Bonus
    Feat: (Automatic) Heroic Durability
    Feat: (Automatic) Immunity to Sleep
    Feat: (Automatic) Light Armor Proficiency
    Feat: (Automatic) Magical Training
    Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Longbow
    Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Longsword
    Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Rapier
    Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Shortbow
    Feat: (Automatic) Medium Armor Proficiency
    Feat: (Automatic) Shield Proficiency (General)
    Feat: (Automatic) Simple Weapon Proficiency
    Feat: (Automatic) Sneak
    Enhancement: Valenar Elf Melee Damage I
    Enhancement: Favored Soul Life Magic I

Level 2 (Favored Soul)
    Skill: Concentration (+1)
    Skill: Jump (+1)
    Feat: (Automatic) Defensive Fighting
    Feat: (Automatic) Sunder
    Feat: (Automatic) Trip
    Enhancement: Favored Soul Charisma I

Level 3 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Selected) Toughness
    Feat: (Automatic) Child of the Undying Court
    Enhancement: Elven Dexterity I
    Enhancement: Favored Soul Toughness I

Level 4 (Favored Soul)
    Ability Raise: DEX
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness I

Level 5 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Favored Soul Bonus) Energy Resistance: Acid
    Enhancement: Favored Soul Prayer of Life I

Level 6 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Selected) Quicken Spell
    Enhancement: Valenar Elf Melee Attack I
    Enhancement: Undying Call
    Enhancement: Favored Soul Life Magic II
    Enhancement: Favored Soul Charisma II
    Enhancement: Favored Soul Toughness II

Level 7 (Favored Soul)
    Enhancement: Favored Soul Toughness III

Level 8 (Favored Soul)
    Ability Raise: STR
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
    Enhancement: Favored Soul Life Magic III

Level 9 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Weapon Fighting
    Enhancement: Favored Soul Prayer of Life II
    Enhancement: Favored Soul Prayer of Incredible Life I

Level 10 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Favored Soul Bonus) Energy Resistance: Fire
    Enhancement: Favored Soul Prayer of Incredible Life II

Level 11 (Favored Soul)
    Enhancement: Favored Soul Prayer of Life III
    Enhancement: Favored Soul Life Magic IV

Level 12 (Favored Soul)
    Ability Raise: STR
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons
    Feat: (Automatic) Beloved of the Undying Court
    Enhancement: Favored Soul Toughness IV

Level 13 (Favored Soul)
    Enhancement: Favored Soul Prayer of Incredible Life III

Level 14 (Favored Soul)

Level 15 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Favored Soul Bonus) Energy Resistance: Electricity
    Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Weapon Fighting
    Enhancement: Favored Soul Scimitar Specialization I
    Enhancement: Favored Soul Charisma III

Level 16 (Favored Soul)
    Ability Raise: CON
    Enhancement: Valenar Elf Melee Damage II

Level 17 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Automatic) Leap Of Faith
    Enhancement: Valenar Elf Melee Attack II

Level 18 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Selected) Empower Healing Spell
    Enhancement: Favored Soul Scimitar Specialization II

Level 19 (Favored Soul)

Level 20 (Favored Soul)
    Ability Raise: CON
    Feat: (Diety) Favored Soul Damage Reduction: Cold Iron
    Enhancement: Favored Soul Ascendency: Undying Court
    Enhancement: Favored Soul Energy of the Scion I
    Enhancement: Favored Soul Energy of the Scion II
    Enhancement: Favored Soul Energy of the Scion III
    Enhancement: Favored Soul Energy of the Scion IV
    Options: You can probably swap Concentration since this build includes Quicken, but I don't recommend it. You could lower Int to 8 if you want to sacrifice Jump - or, sacrifice Concentration. Again, I don't really recommend that, but it could be fairly viable.

This build is a primary healer build. I always recommend that a FvS build as a primary healer FIRST, and then specialize in evocation, or TWF, or whatever second. Never forego the healing, because that's what people are going to expect you to do.

Gear:
    Elven TWF favored Souls are fairly gear intensive, especially in the scimitar department, which this build is based on. With a few changes, this build could be based on dual rapiers, which would also be a viable and fun build.
    Aside from a heavy investment in pairs of weapons (my 20th level Favore Soul has over 30 scimitars in her inventory, including some that could easily sell for 500,000+ plat in the auction house), FvS also want to look for +str, +con, and depending on which armor you're wearing, +dex items. +false life, +mana items are also handy, and ultimately a FvS wants to look at building a concordant opposition greensteel item to increase their spellcasting potential.

Comments are welcome.
    Last edited by der_kluge; 07-12-2011 at 01:38 PM.
    Cannith:
    Brigette; Completionist! || Aoeryn; Wiz20(3rd life).

Quote Originally Posted by der_kluge View Post
    Comments are welcome.
    No power attack?

And why put anything in WIS at all? 15 STR would be better than 14, at least. There are many sources of odd-numbered stat bonuses in the game to make that worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by dkyle View Post
    No power attack?

And why put anything in WIS at all? 15 STR would be better than 14, at least. There are many sources of odd-numbered stat bonuses in the game to make that worthwhile.
    Power attack isn't really necessary. Everything else is more important, though you could argue that it might be more useful than say, GTWF, but I doubt it. FvS doesn't have the same BAB as a fighter or Barbarian, so PA means the FvS misses a lot more, unless they've got Divine Power cast.

If you don't care about healing as much, you could forego Empower Healing for Power Attack if the player wanted to opt for a pure melee build.

You could easily keep wisdom at 8. The tradeoff is minor. And I would prefer not to incur the -1 penalty to Will Saves. By the time you get your str and con and dex in the teens, the 2 points you save from a 10 to 8 wisdom, don't translate into a 2 point increase in str or con. So, at best - yes, you're looking at a single point increase to a 15 strength. So, if you're fine with having an odd strength, you could do that. I'm not a fan of that, since I don't have access to +3 tomes, and most people don't.
    Last edited by der_kluge; 07-12-2011 at 01:46 PM.
    Cannith:
    Brigette; Completionist! || Aoeryn; Wiz20(3rd life).

Given that Fvs have so many options, having 3 versions would be useful in the guide.

Human evoker
    Wf melee greatsword
    Elf melee twf scimitar

The feats and stats for each are going to be significantly different.

Must have feats however - Maximize or Empower, Quicken, Toughness.

A twf build with all 3 feats and imp critical will have to sacrifice some healing/bb damage for the sake of the melee, but will still be ok at healing (if they choose to be). An evoker should have spell pen and heighten. Wf greatsword can get away without all the two handed feats, and fit in more healing maybe. (Mine went for adamantium body for the 15 dr)

As said in 100 other threads - even a melee Fvs has access to multiple mass cures, and unless they cant press buttons on the keyboard should be able to spam mass cures even in the middle of a fight.

Someone mentioned 'healbot' and as some, small minority suggested boosting cha. Wisdom matters more if you want spells to land - and the build points wasted on 50 more sp at the cap, or even 100 if you go nuts on cha - is not going to make a huge difference at all - if your spells cant land because of a low wisdom - 100 more sp isnt going to save you as you will be spending 3x as much mana healing and recasting spells hoping they will land.

Quote Originally Posted by der_kluge View Post
    Power attack isn't really necessary. Everything else is more important, though you could argue that it might be more useful than say, GTWF, but I doubt it. FvS doesn't have the same BAB as a fighter or Barbarian, so PA means the FvS misses a lot more, unless they've got Divine Power cast.
    What mid- to high- melee FvS isn't running with Divine Power cast? At low levels, the lesser BAB barely matters.

Ultimately, what are you getting out of TWF vs. THF? If it's DPS, I have to question whether full-feat-chain TWF w/out PA is better than no-feats THF w/ PA. Bear in mind that the THF only has one less attack bonus in that equation. And the THF has two more feats to spend on other things (although likely one spent on a martial weapon proficiency), and doesn't need to waste points on DEX, which would mean more STR, and potentially more attack bonus than the no-PA TWF.

If you don't care about healing as much, you could forego Empower Healing for Power Attack if the player wanted to opt for a pure melee build.
    This I just don't understand. Why make a pure melee FvS? I don't get it. What's the point? Low DPS, with healing that serves little purpose at high level. That doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

You could easily keep wisdom at 8. The tradeoff is minor. And I would prefer not to incur the -1 penalty to Will Saves. By the time you get your str and con and dex in the teens, the 2 points you save from a 10 to 8 wisdom, don't translate into a 2 point increase in str or con. So, at best - yes, you're looking at a single point increase to a 15 strength. So, if you're fine with having an odd strength, you could do that. I'm not a fan of that, since I don't have access to +3 tomes, and most people don't.
    ToD rings, various +7 STR items, abishai set, Litany, all provide odd bonuses. And if you have a DEX tome, the additional levelup makes it even, anyway. And while leveling, an odd base stat is just as likely to become an even total as an even base.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast