Default A Suggestion Regarding UI - Buffs

Buffs, we all know them, we all love them. But when they're too many they get confusing, hard to see which we have, which are running out or it just simply gets messy on the screen and interfeering with your gameplay. I provide a suggestion regarding this theme, since I'm all up for UI changes to make the game simpler and easier to understand so we can focus on killing.

Here's the typical newbie's buff bar with guild buffs:

[/url]

Here are my suggestions

For better understanding:
    A - Class Buffs (This include Bard songs, Paladin Auras, Barbarian Rage etc. No spells. This includes all other character class buffs as well, not just your own class buffs)
    B - Elemental Resistances (I realize these can be put under the Arcane or Divine buffs tab, but I figured it's best if they were mixed, since there's 2 types of ele resistances)
    C - Arcane Buffs
    D - Divine Buffs
    E - Guild Airship Buffs

My suggestions basically work like this:
    -You have Icons representing each type of buff (from above)
    - Each icon has a timer, the timer is the remaining time on the buff that will expire first*
    - You can click to toggle each timer and browse the buffs as you like, you can either have all buffs toggled or none.
    (Edit)- You can move the buff icons to put them where you want them
    - As both of my UI suggestions (See sig), this is OPTIONAL, you are NOT forced to have this type of bar if you don't want to. (This would be added to the UI settings part)

This type of buff bar focus on a simple vertical view of the buffs, so you can have several types of buffs displayed if wanted.

This bar has a horizontal view of the buffs, so you trade off a shorter way to view the buffs but only one bar will be available to see (Or you could mix them by toggling the other buff windows as well)

Thanks for reading, hope you like my suggestion

- Yes, I manipulated the image to look like I didn't change scenery.
    Last edited by Lyzern; 07-08-2011 at 11:46 AM.
    ~Everything is bearable with music~
    ~I'm very intelligent, don't you think if I was wrong I'd know it?~
    ~Easy and practical Idea about Menus~
    ~Show how many times and on what difficulties you've done the quest~
    ~New Buff Bars~
    ~Auto-sort Bags~

Good idea (I like ANY UI idea, so long as it comes as an optional I can turn off).

I, however, would not use it, since they would be covering where I put most of my hotkeys.
    Fear the Koala.
    Jial, Wyllywyl, and an ever-changing list of alts.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenostrata View Post
    Good idea (I like ANY UI idea, so long as it comes as an optional I can turn off).

I, however, would not use it, since they would be covering where I put most of my hotkeys.
    Read the edited part Glad you brought that up, thanks
    ~New Buff Bars~
    ~Auto-sort Bags~

To be honest, I think what I would do for the annoying bar o' buffs would be to have a toggle (totally optional ) that would remove the buff bar, and instead make it so that whenever someone tries to use a single target buff on a person (including the person itself) it doesn't use any sp and the spell is not cast if the person already has that buff and the duration is not yet half over. This could lead to missing buffs, but they could still be viewed in the examination orb.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. I strongly doubt either of our ideas would be implemented, but I like them nonetheless.
    Fear the Koala.

That's not a bad idea at all. I would like that option for sure, as long as I could turn them off. Those bars do get a little ridiculous!
    I'm piking at work.
    I disarm traps........with my face!
    How do I know that I am better than you are? Because I'm in Thrudh's signature and you're not. That's how.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. I strongly doubt either of our ideas would be implemented, but I like them nonetheless.
    Sadly the devs don't even look at these posts but I still like to make them when I'm bored
    ~New Buff Bars~
    ~Auto-sort Bags~

I agree, expect for splitting divine and arcane buffs. Some spells are both, and there isn't much of a theme for either kind.

An alternative: Place the standard time buffs (20 minutes at cap) in one thing. Place the shorter buffs (haste, rage, divine power, etc.) in another. This would allow you to quickly look at your short term buffs, which is also sorta allowed by the current set-up.

A second suggestion: let each section move independently. For example, I might want the short term buffs in one place, maybe next to my hp bar, but I don't want to clutter that space up with ship buffs.

A final suggestion: allow players to drag various buffs from one set to another and have them show up there every time they are cast, kind like the way quick-bars work now. For example, a cleric might want his/her radiant servant aura in the same place as his/her divine power/favor for easier monitoring.

The change in buff display on examination means Turbine might actually be looking into this sort of thing, so people should continue to add suggestions or support to keep this excellent idea alive.

I think I can post the short version here.

Movable, themed (short duration, purpose of buff) buff groupings.

/singed.

Edit: /signed. I'm sorry for accidentally setting fire to your suggestion, Lyzern.
    Last edited by Xenostrata; 07-08-2011 at 12:33 PM.
    Fear the Koala.

The buff bar was much better before they messed it up in a recent update. The main issue with it now is the fact that newer buffs show up on the right hand side. This doesn't make sense because it means that any new buff displaces EVERY icon up there.

The only issue I found with the old version is it artificially cut itself off at some point on the left side, my only suggestion is to go back to adding buffs on the LEFT (so each new buff does not displace any previous icon, this makes it soooo much easier to see if something is still there or about to run out) and removing the artificial boundary on the left if your monitor resolution can fit more icons

Some simple options of being able to sort be time ascending/descending or keep it as first-come first-displayed (on the LEFT) would solve the vast majority of issues.

Remember, the simplest way to clean up your buff bar is to not overbuff For example i think your image is perfectly acceptable, you can view all your buffs with no problem.

Making it stack down in columns suddenly means you cant have vertical hotbars on the left and the notification area (neg level, uncentered etc) suddenly has to move...

Meridia Suburb of Stormreach, Xen'Drik. But have a vacation home in Cordova, Tennessee

I think I can post the short version here.

Movable, themed (short duration, purpose of buff) buff groupings.

/singed.
    /signed
    -Khyber- Loreseekers, Guild Leader
    Hordorabbi ~ Hordiva ~ Hordazzle ~ Hordorc ~ Hordeau ~ And dozens of other HordoToons™!
    High Rabbi of DDO
    Loreseekers Guild ~ H.o.r.d.o.'s How-To Guides @Loreseekers