Community Member

Default kiting shadows - what am i doing wrong ?

i need help concerning kiting shadows int ToD :

i have a lvl 20 wizard PM who is reasonably geared but no cold absorption item , standing hp is 412 fully buffed gets to 475 .

usually what i do (with metamages all active inc-quicken) after being fully buffed is cast FW + incindiary cloud on stairs and then cast firesheld (hot version) and shadowalk and i keep runing around the room while keeping sure FW is on the stairs to maintain the shadows aggro .

one of the things i was doing wrong and corrected afterwars was jumping too much which was causing me too slow down and get smahsed by shadows , the first time i stopped doing this my survivability increased dramatically ,

BUT today while on a ToD run doing the same things mentioned above i got smashed/pulverized . now i must mention that my track record is mixed since within a few runs i find myself needing someone to spot me with harm and required res at least on one run , and a few runs where spotless .

still though i find that the element of chance is too dominant while i am kiting and that is not acceptable to me since if i fail there is a good chance the party will wipe !

my question is this besides getting the cold absorption itme is there anything i can do to improve ? and to lessen the chance i will fail ?

if you don't already do this you could keep refreshing protection from energy cold and burst healing yourself with the negative energy burst
    I'll think of a better sig soon™

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

1. Take off feather falling item and when you need to cast jump. Of course, always cast quicken.
    2. Use resist energy spell.
    3. If there is capped cleric (pure cleric I mean) demand divine intervention.
    4. Make sure that there is back up kiter, in case something goes wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

If only someone had written a guide on how to kite ToD part 2, and was good at shameless plugs.

Also, how to tank in place.

Also:

Dodge, Dip, Duck, Dive, Dodge.

yea, i think kiting is old style ... read TheDearLeaders post on tanking in place

Get a shield with guild augment for more cold resist, get festival cold pots ... stand there and take it in teh face like a real man
    Sarlona - The Silent Accord
    Choyce (10th life, Rogue/Ranger splash) - Zedekia (20 Favored Soul, 2nd life)
    Vallheru (20 Monk, 2nd life) - Julle (20 Spellsinger Bard)
    Nimblum (20 Rogue) - Xzanthus (20 Wizard)

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Sounds like the op is having trouble.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqswD2gu9B0

Quote Originally Posted by TheDearLeader View Post
    Dodge, Dip, Duck, Dive, Dodge.
    So.. do this instead?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw9va...eature=related

Crafting even a ter 2 cold abs item will make your tanking trivial and lag rpoof (sorta); with >400hp, cold res, fireshield (hot), protection from energy and aforementioned tier2 abs(quite cheap to make) you'll take no more than 50-55/tick so you are fine on your own just with aura and NEB, add a protection from energy and you're super safe.

If you are willing to cycle NEB+protection i'm pretty sure you can do w/o cold abs item absolutely fine; the 'trick' is to stand absolutely still as shadow aura will tick on entrance and on exiting of their range or each 2 secs, so if you move you take much more dmg than standing still.

Quote Originally Posted by IBCROOTBEER View Post
    "stand there and take it in teh face like a real man"
    Thats what a real man does...?

As for the OP - Either tank the shadows in place as mentioned above or, if your kitting, make sure you running the "right way". Use the pillars to create some distance, meaning you need to run in a circle "outside" the pillars, recasting AoE spells when you pass by the stairs. Also pay attention to were your running, dont go in auto pilot and run straight to a shadow. have in mind that when boss reaches 60% health, the shadows disappear and will respawn in different places. When that happens, you'll probably need to readjust your running course/cycle to dodge them and not run straight into one!
    WARSWORDS
    Blackmoors (Pale Master) | Bloodrake (Defender of Siberys) | Darckmoor (Angel of Vengeance) | Doulbelades (Berserker) | Thayed (Warchanter)
    [TRADE LIST]

Community Member

Thumbs up thanx guys

with u guys help i figured it out :

my problem was encumberance , even with a +7 STR item on i still had it on medium , which explains why i was getting hit .
    the difference between medium load movement speed ,and light load movement speed is so small i just didnot even notice it , until the shadows killed me that is .

the exccess load comes from my ingredients bags which weigh in excess of 400 lbs !
    well now i know , the only problem is where do i go with my ingredients bags! lol .

anyways thanx alot for the input guys really appreciate it .

p.s : the link was very helpful BTW , i still dont know why it did not show up on my search attempts .