Community Member
    3rd star from the left, and on til morning...

Default Tomb of the Tormented - stumped.

Ok, I understand I am to kill zombies and grab meat and put them in the grate "spots" to get the rats to go through the maze. But it seems hard to see where the maze is, and every time I put meat in the grate "spots" the rats don't seem to move. It's hard enough to spot the rats as it is.

Am I missing something obvious?

You have to put meat in every single spot between where the rat is now and where you want it to go. If you miss one, the rat will stop at the last meat it found and stare at you until you give it more food. If there is a wall between the rat and the spot where you just put the meat, it doesn't count as "the next spot". Working out where the walls and passageways within the maze are before you start helps for knowing where to lure the rat. Possibly rotating your camera so that you're looking vertically downward would help you figure out where the walls are.

I can't remember if the first maze has enemies in it, but if it does, it could be that these are eating the meat that you're putting in, so that it's not there to entice the rat. (This isn't the worst thing in the world; when the enemies eat the rotten meat, it weakens them so that your rat can beat them up more easily. Although it's far easier to use a spell like blade barrier to shred the enemies, if you have it. If you don't, at least one of the cleric hirelings does.)

As for seeing where your rat is, the Famished Rats are so disgusting that they you can actually see the bad smell radiating from them. A thin trail of green smoke will always mark the position in the maze where the rat is. I've been known to refer to them as "steaming rats" for this reason.

The only "obvious" about this quest is that it's very boring when you are not the person doing the maze, and can be very frustrating when you are. (Especially if you don't have a rogue for Maze 3.)
    Liseyda on Khyber: TR3 Elf Paladin (L18).

In terms of seeing the maze, it can be a bit difficult. There are grates over the top of the maze paths and a different surface over the top of the walls, so you can follow that to see the path easier without constantly looking down.

As Furare noted, you basically need to put meat in adjacent holes to get the rat to move. There are a few places where the rat will bypass a hole, but for the most part they'll only move from one to the next.

And yeah, look for the green stench trail. Note that there will be enemies in the quest and those will also have green stench trails. In terms of getting rid of those...options include using an army of rats until a rat kills them, feeding them meat (which hurts them, if they'll eat it), or trying to bypass them without getting noticed (not particularly easy). Likewise, for the traps, if you don't have a rogue you'll need to time it so the rat gets past them without dying. There is one trap that can't be disarmed and always needs to be timed to get across.
    Khyber: Carinn (TR 18 Sorcerer) -- Kyrainne (TR 20 Paladin) -- Arrail (TR 20 Favored Soul) -- Aoede (18 Bard) -- Terrabourne (20 Ranger) -- Ankhalla (20 Monk) -- Cylanna (20 Rogue)
    The Lifeguard: A Swimcleric build

Yes there are mobs that will kill your rats in all the mazes.

Easy solution? Blade barrier kills those mobs through the floor.

Community Member NostalithilDarkstar's Avatar

i use death aura for killing the mobs and healing the rat

Also (but this may depend on graphic settings), the rat leave a column of green smoke through the grates. His antagonists leave a column of red smoke through the grates.