Community Member

Post cannith crafting - efficient leveling

I wanted to summarize my experience with efficient leveling for Cannith Crafting and share it with the community. Alas, the result is rather meh. But anyway, now that I have spent the time to write this, I might as well post it. Perhaps someone will find this useful.

How to level up crafting effectively

Inventory Preparation
    • Disable autogather on your bags.
    • Clear an inventory tab. Preferably the first. (Or fill the previous tabs so that you don't waste time looking for crafted shards)
    • Level one crafting school at a time.
    • Put all your essences for a given school to this tab. Consider sorting the essences (e.g. first row-greater, second row-lesser) so that you can see your resources in one glance. (Even though the game now searches for components in bag, I still find it useful to see how many essences I have left.)
    • In another tab, have dragonshard fragments and deconstruction materials ready.
    • To find deconstruction reagents in the bags quickly, type an apostrophe (') into the bag search box (both have it in the name: Parfett's, Lorinda's).
    • As of 10.2, when mass-deconstructing multiple shards, the machine is not working properly if the deconstruction reagents are in the bag. Put the reagents in the inventory.
    • Have collectables bags ready.

Plan ahead, a bit
    Look at the available shards, e.g. here: http://ddowiki.com/page/Cannith_Crafting#Arcane_Shards. Identify what you want. E.g., I am divine level 24. I do want these divine shards next:
    • Cursespewing (35 evil)
    • Holy (37 good)
    • Construct bane (43 chaos)
    • Evil outsider bane (45 good)
    • Undead bane (45 good)
    • Good luck +2 (51 divine)

From the plan, I see that I should consider saving good essences, because I will need many of them for holy/bane. I do need divine essences for good luck, but I don't really need to save them now because leveling from 24 to 41 will take a while unless you got hundreds of essences hoarded.

Efficient leveling
    1. Go to the bound shard device.
    2. Uncheck the two other schools. Sort by XP.
    3. Scroll to recipes where your chances are 50%-60%.
    4. Notice that not all recipes cost the same amount of essences. Find cheap recipes. If there are no cheap recipes, repeat steps 1-4 for the unbound shard device.
    5. Grind cheap recipe until you gain a level.
    6. Deconstruct your unneeded shards.
    7. Restart at 1.

Tips:
    • In step 3, look also at recipes with 39%-45% success chance. Find cheap recipes and try to save the needed essences for these recipes.
    • In step 4, chances are that there are no cheap recipes. At this point, consider crafting shards of potential. You are going to need them, cheap or not.
    • In step 4, if the bound and unbound recipes cost approximately the same amount of essences, create bound shards. They are higher level and should produce more essences when deconstructing.
    • In step 5, some recipes are so cheap compared to other at-level options that you will want to grind them longer.
    • When you level up and skip step 6, click Clear to delete the essences from the machine. Otherwise you are going to see only the recipes that use the same type of essences that you have used before.
    • If you lack lesser essences, have greater essences sundered by vendor.
    • If you lack greater essences, craft a bunch of low level shards that cost 4 lessers. When deconstructing, you have a chance to get some greater essences. This takes a lot of time but it is rather essence-efficient (you get around 90% essences back).
    • Don't forget to craft the shards that you actually want to use!

March 2013 Update:
    I have recently received reputation for this post so I thought I'd revisit it. Most of the stuff still applies, especially if you're starting with crafting and don't have a ton of essences.
    More tips:
    • The wiki link no longer works. Try this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...UQTdIOUE#gid=0. It is the source (perhaps not the latest but recent enough) of a great tool, http://cannith.cubicleninja.com/
    • This is also great thing: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=318331.
    • I've downloaded the spreadsheet and copied the info from the thread to a text file for offline use. Good stuff.
    • Deconstruction is a great source of experience. And you get some plat as well. Always deconstruct on your crafter. Heavy use of shared bank, if you have multiple characters.
    • Use crafting exp pots. Personally, I buy almost nothing from the DDO Store, except packs/races. But I have spent TP for crafting exp potions. (OK, they were discounted at that point.) Anyway. Unlike XP pots, these are cheap and very strong. The success boosters are great as well. You can get some with House C favor. You can now also get some crafting exp pots from Daily Dice. So, use pots and save LOTS of money.
    • If you're using pots, you need to be quick, and you need to craft in bulk. Stockpile your essences. Pots last 15 minutes iirc, and you cannot stop the timer. When on pots, consider skipping step 6 as long as you have enough essences to save time.
    • Never, NEVER purchase essences from the store. These are ridiculously overpriced. If you want to spend cash, buy Turbine Point codes and sell them for plat; and use plat to buy essences. You can get millions of plat for cheapest TP code, and you can get thousands of essences for one million platinum. If you're swimming in TP but don't want to spend more cash, buy astral shards and purchase essences on the Shard Exchange.
    Last edited by cru121; 03-27-2013 at 02:44 PM. Reason: added March 2013 update

Good solid advice.

thanks! i`m new to crafting (so far, i was only deconstructing) and i needed some guidelines

The only problem I see is you mention to choose mid 30's to 49 percent success chance items. You cannot craft an item under 50 percent success rate and this includes with the items that increase your success chance. So to be informative you cannot try to craft a recipe until your success chance for that particular shard is above 50 percent success rate unaltered.
    Everyone is a Newb once, some just take longer than others! Please let the God of Turbine save the Favored Souls Enhancement lines!

Community Member

With that, I'm only trying to tell to look ahead what's coming. If I see a cheap earth recipe in a level or two, I'm going to go conserve earth and grind through my current level with something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Teelk_Jafffa View Post
    The only problem I see is you mention to choose mid 30's to 49 percent success chance items. You cannot craft an item under 50 percent success rate and this includes with the items that increase your success chance. So to be informative you cannot try to craft a recipe until your success chance for that particular shard is above 50 percent success rate unaltered.
    He means look ahead and save up the essences for those recipes so when they hit 50% you already know what you want to craft I believe.

@ the OP, good stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Varis View Post
    Is that a trick question? A nuker should heighten, empower and maximise flushing the toilet
    Quote Originally Posted by fmalfeas View Post
    It will do damage like taking a point-blank meteor swarm in the crotch. You hear me people, stop encouraging Turbine to meteor swarm crotches!

Under inventory prep you could maybe add that typing an apostrophe as the search term will pull up only your prefix and suffix stripping components. A small thing, probably often overlooked, but it's the fastest way to get them out of your bag and into your inventory without a hassle.

Also I tend to use the second inventory tab - the list one - to see my essences as I need them - I just type in something like "arcane" and end up looking at just what I need. Personal preference, but it might work for some.

Good list. Especially for those who are just trying to get into it and are feeling overwhelmed with how to proceed.
    Last edited by Merrill_Greeneshade; 07-05-2011 at 11:51 PM.

Question

Is this still valid or have things changed?

Yes this is still valid, Cannith Crafting hasn't seen an update for a long long time much to the disappointment of many people

Stoner81.

Community Member

Because someone repped me recently for this thread, I have added some info to the OP.

I never trade great for lesser since lesser youll get from some deconstructed item you pulled while great harder to loot or get from desconstruct.

Community Member

Kinda unrelated to the post but do people really buy TP with plat? About how much does this go for, and would one just advertise in chat? I ask because I got a gift card for my birthday but I'm already VIP and I don't particularly need the points I have now.

Quote Originally Posted by ddobard1 View Post
    I never trade great for lesser since lesser youll get from some deconstructed item you pulled while great harder to loot or get from desconstruct.
    I actually found it was much more efficient simply to save up all my essences gathered from a TR and trade them to get lessers at the end of the life. Got my crafter up to 140 across the board, so she can make any recipe now.

Also, you can choose which type of recipes you use (bound or unbound shards) based on what type of essences you have. Bound shards use fewer greaters and more lessers, unbound use more greaters and fewer lessers. So if you have a high greater:lesser ratio, check the unbound crafting machine to see what you can make.

Since unbound shards are 50 levels higher than bound, it's very often more efficient to make unbound shards than bound ones as the recipe will cost you fewer essences overall for better XP gain. It's also much better at higher levels because the higher level bound recipes start requiring purified dragonshards which can be a bear to get in quantity. Save them for making items you actually plan to use and use the unbound shard machine for your leveling as much as possible.

Always remember to deconstruct your shards to get essences back.

Also, if you have a glut of a particular type of greater essence due to a lack of recipes, don't forget that you can turn them in for other types of essences.
    I edited a book!

Thelanis player: Arekkeh, Kimberlei (heroic completionist), Lehren (heroic/epic completionist), Natheme, Terpsikhore

Quote Originally Posted by Brinzy View Post
    Kinda unrelated to the post but do people really buy TP with plat? About how much does this go for, and would one just advertise in chat? I ask because I got a gift card for my birthday but I'm already VIP and I don't particularly need the points I have now.
    Some people will do this, however it's a risky trade because there's no simul-trade mechanism. You have to trust the other party to actually deliver what they promised, or they have to trust you to give them the points code after you've received their plat. Since Turbine frowns on this practice except using the official in-game shard exchange, if someone gyps you a complaint could land you with a ban instead of a refund.

Caveat Emptor.
    I edited a book!

Thelanis player: Arekkeh, Kimberlei (heroic completionist), Lehren (heroic/epic completionist), Natheme, Terpsikhore