Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Hmm nobody likes Superior Glaciation I Minor Spell Lore weapons of Power I for twink lvl 2 casters? Looks like a great use of 137 motes to me.

Default Risia and Cannith Crafting Need to Work Together

With Cannith Crafting, Greensteel, and the recent changes made to how vorpal and banishing weapons work, there aren't any randomly generated weapons worth putting frost or icy burst on. I used to very much look forward to the Risia Ice Games and would participate heavily, but I will unfortunately have to forgo them this time around.

Being able to customize gear, whether it be through the Ice Games or Cannith Crafting has been, for me, one of the most enjoyable parts of DDO. I like to have as much control over my character, whether it is in the build or gear, as possible. I think the individuality and customization aspects (with the exception of appearance, which is frankly, trivial) of DDO are what sets it apart from other MMORPGs. I was very excited about the possibility of Risia and Cannith Crafting working together, as I believe a lot of people were, and am very disappointed to hear that they will not. Hopefully the developers can look into the mechanics of the two systems and find a way to allow them to work together in the future. I believe it would add a lot to the game.

Another Green World
    Thelanis

Quote Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post
    With Cannith Crafting, Greensteel, and the recent changes made to how vorpal and banishing weapons work, there aren't any randomly generated weapons worth putting frost or icy burst on. I used to very much look forward to the Risia Ice Games and would participate heavily, but I will unfortunately have to forgo them this time around.

Being able to customize gear, whether it be through the Ice Games or Cannith Crafting has been, for me, one of the most enjoyable parts of DDO. I like to have as much control over my character, whether it is in the build or gear, as possible. I think the individuality and customization aspects (with the exception of appearance, which is frankly, trivial) of DDO are what sets it apart from other MMORPGs. I was very excited about the possibility of Risia and Cannith Crafting working together, as I believe a lot of people were, and am very disappointed to hear that they will not. Hopefully the developers can look into the mechanics of the two systems and find a way to allow them to work together in the future. I believe it would add a lot to the game.

Another Green World
    Thelanis
    I don't know if you TR or not ... but a nice Flaming Burst, Icy Burst weapon is GREAT at low levels still makes the risia games worth it
    Sarlona - The Silent Accord
    Choyce (10th life, Rogue/Ranger splash) - Zedekia (20 Favored Soul, 2nd life)
    Vallheru (20 Monk, 2nd life) - Julle (20 Spellsinger Bard)
    Nimblum (20 Rogue) - Xzanthus (20 Wizard)

Quote Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post
    recent changes made to how vorpal and banishing weapons work, there aren't any randomly generated weapons worth putting frost or icy burst on.
    Just wanted to look at this one part of your post, banishing is an excellent thing to put Icy Burst on. I have a banishing of pure good that I'll put Icy Burst on and it will be very nice for elementals and mephits.

Morosy and IBCRootbeer both make good, valid points. It is a personal preference of mine to not grind for gear that will become obsolete and need to be replaced, however, because it ultimately would feel like a waste of time.

I cannot think of anything to icy burst that will be useful at end game.

Still the idea of making uber low level weapons for the pre-twelve (greensteel) power leveling that isn't against undead would be very tempting if the bracelet of friends still worked. As is it, the limited usefulness of these weapons wouldn't justify the effort involved, for me.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zaodon View Post
    This makes no sense, and should be completely reconsidered.

Right now, on Live, you can get a randomly generated "Holy / Greater (X) Bane" weapon and add "Risia Icy Burst" to it, generating a weapon with Icy Burst + Holy + Greater Bane with no increase in Minimum Level.

Clearly, you do not consider this imbalanced. Remember, in any MMORPG, "random" means "100% chance given enough time playing the game." So, don't give me some line of B.S. about "randomness is a balancing mechanism" because its not, in any way, shape or form, a balancing mechanism. Time overrides randomness. Given time, a player will have whatever random item you think is overpowered but balanced due to rarity. i.e. never use rarity as a form of balance.

So, if its a-ok to have Icy Burst + Holy + Greater Bane with no ML increase, then it should be a-ok to have it whether it was a "random" Holy/GB weapon or a crated one. Its 100% irrelevant to its ending powers.

So, not only do you need to change it so that Risia recipes can be added to crafted weapons, but you need to do it without affecting its ML *at all* just like it works for "random" weapons.
    I agree with you in principle but this entire game is balanced this way when it comes to items. Just look at stuff like Pale Lavender Ioun Stone or Epic Ring of Spell Storing. I think balance-through-rarity is a terrible idea but that's how it is and I don't really expect it to ever change. Good crafted HGBs are more common than lootgen ones so they are not allowed to become too good.

as a casual new player my thoughts rely entirely on the gear I'm wearing right now. My best found loot consists of:
    set1- +2 holy burst khop of righteousness, +2 silver khop of righteousness
    set2- +3 shock khop of enfeebling, +2 cursespewing khop of enfeebling
    set3- +2 shock warhammer of everbright, +2 flaming warhammer of everbright (both crafted)

and a couple miscelaneous pieces, a dragon bane khop, an anarchic burst khop, my Silver Longbow (named), a +4 Flaming longbow of deception...

sets 1 and 2 are just the best I've found so far as random loot. I just icy bursted set 2. I was thrilled to find them, and i'm even more thrilled that I got to icy burst them. Set 1 will be next. I wish they were +3's or 4's or 5's, but whatever, I'm still happy.
    set 3 I made for a specific purpose (obvious) and they work fine for what they were made for. Why should I care if i can't risia-fy them? When my crafting lvl get's high enough i'll up them to +3's or 4's. Joy.

And when C.Crafting returns I'll free up some gear slots by combining some effects that are on seperate pieces of gear currently. Some nice gogg's, a decent belt. I'll have found my 3rd piece of the Abishai set by then and I'll feel pretty DARNED decked out!

So, from my perspective, C.Crafting has it's uses, and Risia has it's uses, and I really can't complain. And when I 'grow up' to be a lvl20, working on my 3rd life or whatever, I'll have green steel to work on.

Could crafting have been made better? Sure, and it still can be. Is it a total waste? Not even.

Now lemme get back to jumping off that shack, k?
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Community Member

Risia interest on the Cannith server is significantly down...guess the developers failed to understand the interest that would have been created by linking crafting and risia games.

Not sure I understand their rationale in letting a randomly generated weapons that are race restricted completely dominate a crafted weapon (i.e. a randomly generated race restricted weapon is 5 ML lower and can accomodate icy burst). Guess that's a slap in the face for anyone who has dumped millions of plat and significant time into crafting and a boon to anyone who has shopped the AH for cheap weapons over time.

With Cannith Crafting, Greensteel, and the recent changes made to how vorpal and banishing weapons work, there aren't any randomly generated weapons worth putting frost or icy burst on.
    I have a +1 acid greataxe of pure good, RR: Human, ML: 2.

By all means, you name for me a Cannith item that would be even VAGUELY good enough to use over that item, even before I stick Icy Burst onto it.

Bearing in mind that at level 6, it would change to a +2 icy burst shocking burst greatsword of pure good, RR: Human. Again, Cannith has nothing to compete with that.

Actually, I'm totally underwhelmed by any possible Cannith weapon option, except when you factor in a metal weapon for DR breaking.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    Actually, I'm totally underwhelmed by any possible Cannith weapon option, except when you factor in a metal weapon for DR breaking.
    QFT, I cant find a Cannith weapon recipe that I can make that I would waste a Icy Burst kit on.

I did apply Icy Burst to a ml 12 rr +5 Shocking Burst of Pure Good set of handwraps my TR monk will use over and over again, so it was definitely worth learning the mast jump on my FvS.

Lower level weapons gets a much higher percentage of additional damage from the Risian Crafting, It would be nice if there was some higher level equivolencies.

But this falls in line with Turbine's attitude towards end game....which seems to me.....to be repeat the beginning and middle game through TR's.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post

EG: If it worked like Ferando said:
    You loot a +4 true law kama of greater evil outsider bane..
    You'd be like "Woot!, not a great item, but GEOB bane I can get another shard of to work towards adding this to my silver greataxe"
    When I watched the interview this is exactly what I thought. Weapons with certain effects would give shards with those same effects. Instead it turned into...

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Instead it's
    you loot a "didnt even look at it because it doesn't matter what it is, its getting destroyed"
    You think "+1 to my pile of essences, only 900,000 to go"
    Crush up every deathblock item I can get my hands on. Pile up the "good" essences.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Crann View Post
    QFT, I cant find a Cannith weapon recipe that I can make that I would waste a Icy Burst kit on.

I did apply Icy Burst to a ml 12 rr +5 Shocking Burst of Pure Good set of handwraps my TR monk will use over and over again, so it was definitely worth learning the mast jump on my FvS.

Lower level weapons gets a much higher percentage of additional damage from the Risian Crafting, It would be nice if there was some higher level equivolencies.

But this falls in line with Turbine's attitude towards end game....which seems to me.....to be repeat the beginning and middle game through TR's.
    Most undead are not cold immune so why not a nice lowbie undead beater with Icy Burst? There are a ton of undead quests early in the game.
    April 27th, 2011 - Dungeons and Casters Unlimited is released to the public
    Quote Originally Posted by Junts View Post
    This is an impressive min/min build.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zaodon View Post
    This makes no sense, and should be completely reconsidered.

Right now, on Live, you can get a randomly generated "Holy / Greater (X) Bane" weapon and add "Risia Icy Burst" to it, generating a weapon with Icy Burst + Holy + Greater Bane with no increase in Minimum Level.

Clearly, you do not consider this imbalanced. Remember, in any MMORPG, "random" means "100% chance given enough time playing the game." So, don't give me some line of B.S. about "randomness is a balancing mechanism" because its not, in any way, shape or form, a balancing mechanism. Time overrides randomness. Given time, a player will have whatever random item you think is overpowered but balanced due to rarity. i.e. never use rarity as a form of balance.

So, if its a-ok to have Icy Burst + Holy + Greater Bane with no ML increase, then it should be a-ok to have it whether it was a "random" Holy/GB weapon or a crated one. Its 100% irrelevant to its ending powers.

So, not only do you need to change it so that Risia recipes can be added to crafted weapons, but you need to do it without affecting its ML *at all* just like it works for "random" weapons.
    I agree with this 100%. But in all fairness then to the game I also think ML 20 for crafting should be a hard cap.
    As in the game will not allow you to add a shard to an object if it would raise the ML over 20. I know right now the game allows this and the object becomes a ML 20 by default. Until they raise the level cap of the game the ML 20 should be a hard cap for the canith crafting system. That would fix a number of "balance" issues all at once.

But then I also understand that the ML canith system is not working perfect yet either. So that I assume would also need to be addressed and fixed if a hard cap fix was added for canith crafting. I would think it would be impossible then to canith craft a weapon that was better overall than a greensteel weapon.

Being able to make an item that goes far beyond ML 20 and still use it at level 20 is an exploit of the crafting system.
    It is funny that they brought crafting to a halt to fix an exploit yet allow this exploit to continue.
    Last edited by Victorhammer; 07-21-2011 at 03:22 AM.

Community Member

Default I am still unclear.

I am still unclear.

If I take my +5 Holy Greater Lawful Outsider Bane handwraps with a large guild augment slot...

And I try to Icy Burst them...

What happens?

I can't test, I don't have any other crafted handwraps. I expect to ask the community rather than try myself with stuff I don't have to test it.

Quote Originally Posted by Morosy View Post
    Just wanted to look at this one part of your post, banishing is an excellent thing to put Icy Burst on. I have a banishing of pure good that I'll put Icy Burst on and it will be very nice for elementals and mephits.
    Agreed
    I have a +1 Banishing, Icy Burst Greatclub of Greater Evil Outsider Bane that my barbarian is using to tear up the vale.
    My monk likes his +3 Banishing, Icy Burst Handwraps of Evil Outsider Bane.
    I also have a +1 Banishing, Icy Burst maul of Greater Chaotic Outsider bane that I am probably going to throw on the AH.

I also strongly recommend bursting lowbie gear.

My multiple TR'd monk has
    +1 Icy Burst, bleed for levels 2-3
    +1 Icy Burst, acid, bleed handwraps for level 4-5
    +1 Icy burst, Holy, bleed handwraps for levels 6-7 (and beyond)
    +1 Icy Burst, Stunning +10 race restricted for levels 8-9
    +1 Icy Burst, Paralyzing for levels 10+ until I throw on my vampiric stonedust wraps

Situational wraps for situational opponents
    Icy Burst, Ghost Touch, Pure Goods
    Icy Burst + any Greater Bane
    Icy Burst Metalline Pure good wraps for all-purpose DR beaters
    Last edited by BoBo2020; 07-21-2011 at 11:53 AM.

I'm more interested to see if a Dev can reply to find out if this is WAI or a bug. Keep in mind that Cannith crafting is a BETA.

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by BeccaBop View Post
    I am still unclear.

If I take my +5 Holy Greater Lawful Outsider Bane handwraps with a large guild augment slot...

And I try to Icy Burst them...

What happens?

I can't test, I don't have any other crafted handwraps. I expect to ask the community rather than try myself with stuff I don't have to test it.
    Your crafted weapons shouldn't even fit in the Risia crafting altar.
    Author of Info Blue UI Skin (Really wish Turbine would update the skinning interface and enable all the new UI parts.)
    If you don't have an SSD, you should be using DDOPreload (fixes the slow first login issue)

Default A test

Quote Originally Posted by Backley View Post
    Your crafted weapons shouldn't even fit in the Risia crafting altar.
    But they do.

It seems that if you try to put a recipe on a cannith crafted weapon, however, it will tell you that the weapon will go over the maximum enchantment allowed for that weapon. I have tested this on a +5 craftable weapon with +4 worth of enchantments on it. The fact that it would seem to have room for a recipe 3 leads me to believe that the altar automatically delivers this response regardless of the of the maximum enchantment possible on your cannith crafted weapon, and you cannot icy kit cannith weapons at this time.

More tests would be helpful.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345