Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Cannith crafting will never replace greensteel, only compliment it.

Try crafting an ML11 item that has 45HP, +5 protection, heavy fortification and +6 to CON skills. Heck forget the con skills, just try and match the other three effects. Heck just try and match two of those and keep the item ML11.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragavon View Post
    Which is what I have been saying all along here. The other vets underestimate the effort needed to get crafting levels for a new player
    My Personal feeling on crafting, is that it is not for the new player, at all. Beyond the sheer grind of wealth that is takes to get to any worthwhile rank, there is this whole system of what can be put on what and what happens when you do it, which can daunt anyone just trying to have some fun.

Not that GS is easy, mind you, but, as far as the crafting system goes, I have found it to be handy to twink my alts, and make some specialized weapons that can be used end game (which I gave to my twinked out alts), and ultimately just give a different grind towards that +6 Con GFL belt I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    My Personal feeling on crafting, is that it is not for the new player, at all. Beyond the sheer grind of wealth that is takes to get to any worthwhile rank, there is this whole system of what can be put on what and what happens when you do it, which can daunt anyone just trying to have some fun.

Not that GS is easy, mind you, but, as far as the crafting system goes, I have found it to be handy to twink my alts, and make some specialized weapons that can be used end game (which I gave to my twinked out alts), and ultimately just give a different grind towards that +6 Con GFL belt I want.
    again, this is largely the case only because the new players don't realize the wealth available to them.

grab every collectible, sell the ones worth a lot of plat (and there's still plenty of those). you can make good money selling vials of pure water, deadly feverblanch, etc.

deconstructing is also actually a great way to make money early on, too (and boosts your crafting skills). that acid touch dagger you have? you might sell it for 25 plat, OR you could deconstruct it and get 1-3 lesser essences and 0-1 greater essences (about a 33% chance at a greater). on average, that's probably worth ~250 plat, or maybe even more. you can actually gain money by crafting that way, if money is what you want. if you do this sort of thing consistently, deconstructing and selling the essences of what would otherwise be vendor trash, you'll have some decent crafting skills, and more money. if you keep your essences, you'll be able to get your skills up to decent levels without too much difficulty.

apparently someone disagrees with that (because i got neg rep for saying it earlier), but it's simply the truth. the amount of effort it takes to replace min II with cannith crafting is very low. other greensteel weapons (especially rad II for rogues and lit II for pretty much everyone) are still very worthwhile, but min II is simply too expensive to be worth it on a weapon when you can put a tiny fraction of the amount of effort it takes into cannith crafting and get a weapon that is comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by dkyle View Post
    Lot of problems with those numbers. You appear to have an extra d6 for MinII, and a non-GS Greataxe is 1d12 base, not 3d6. Your crit numbers are multiplying things that don't get multiplied on crits (like holy damage, and bane damage).

And then, the only useful comparison is vs. Devil bosses, where the Acid damage won't apply. And why assume no imp. crit? Few characters that care enough about melee to craft dual-shard GS weapons won't have Imp. Crit, and those that really don't have it, obviously would want a MinII. And if you don't assume imp. crit, you can't have a meaningful comparison without incorporating a character's total base damage. With imp. crit, base damage cancels out.
    ahh ya i forgot about the non min2 GA being not 3d6 BD that would lower the numbers and i dont and 2d6 holy 1d6 acid burst 1d6 acid blast 1d4 slicing

Quote Originally Posted by icepick320 View Post
    ahh ya i forgot about the non min2 GA being not 3d6 BD that would lower the numbers and i dont and 2d6 holy 1d6 acid burst 1d6 acid blast 1d4 slicing
    Acid blast is 1d10 * (crit multiplier - 1) on crits, and 4d6 on vorpal strikes. It does not do 1d6 on all hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragavon View Post
    But I dare say that for a new player working his way into high levels it will be easier to get ingreds for a min II than get high enough levels in crafting and obtaining a silver blank to make a crafted weapon that is better than a min II.
    I think you drastically underestimate how long it takes to amass 24 specific large Shroud ingredients, especially for a new player who might not be able to afford to buy the exact right 24th they need to finish. Even if you run Shroud on every timer and get the exact ingredients you need (or the resources to purchase them), that's 24 * 3 / 1.5 = 48 days, about a month and a half, to get one Min II. Without spending 1 plat on essences or deconstruction fodder, I can already make +4 Holy LO Bane weapons for every single one of my alts, and crafting's only been out for 2 months.

For DR-breakers, there is just no competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ungood
    Beyond the sheer grind of wealth that is takes to get to any worthwhile rank, there is this whole system of what can be put on what and what happens when you do it, which can daunt anyone just trying to have some fun.
    Compared to the greensteel system, where mistakes cannot be deconstructed in any way, I don't see how the Cannith system can be considered daunting.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123