Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I'm a bit suprised by how many people honestly don't see the functionality of using Ranger Cures in groups. Seems to me the arguements are:

A: Swap to wands or use pots.

or

B: Use the blue bar.

Option A seems like it will take longer (IE: swap to a wand, cast, swap back to weapons), and given that wand whipping takes longer, animation wise, than casting.

Option B, however, means you don't have to spend the extra time swapping weapon sets during combat, and can often off-heal along side the cleric (depending on your build, tempests are going to be pretty focused at that moment and may only be able to self-heal).

As for a limited blue bar, that's what happens when you dump Wis. But even with a starting Wisdom of 12, a +2 tome, and a +5 wis item, my AA has a base sp pool of 341 at lvl 12. If I'm not XP farming, I can bump it to a sustained 441 with a PoPX. Hardly limited. Not nearly as deep as a cleric, but more than enough to throw buffs (Barkskin, Resists and Protections) to a full party and still off-heal and sustain those buffs during a raid (VoN5/6) with minimal Shrine use.

Fact is, it's all in how you play, and while Devotion enhancements, items and other feats/clickies help, to be truly useful you have to WANT to use them. In the end, there's no right way, there's just different ways, and I personally prefer mine. Not saying others are worse, nor that mine is better. Just different, and beneficial for different reasons.

Definitive Guide to Bravery Bonuses You've got questions? We've got answers... and bacon.

what i hate are those pews pews that run into battle, stand by the creature and shoot them, get down to realllly low health, and dont heal themselves. dealt with that this morning.
    Levistis, Orcys, and Thirzax of the Dragon Blood Cult of Maguuma, GW2.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodic View Post
    you do realize that 2 EH cures are better than 1 Max Cure and nearly cost the same.

22(44) vs 37 for SP costs is a difference of 7 SP yet 2 EH net 50% more HP back.
    Yes, Empower Healing is better if all you're looking at is SP efficiency. But then again, not having any metas at all would be better in that case.

In an emergency when you may only have the time or HP left to support a single spell, the larger numbers from Maximize are more important. It will also let you heal up to full very quickly to get back into a fight.

This is coming from a guy that had Empower Healing, Maximize, and Empower Healing + Maximize on a Ranger for quite a while. If I can only choose one, it will be Maximize.
    Glenalth Woodwalke ■ Preston the Ranger ■ Brisqoe the Dentist ■ Prescription Liberator
    AoK @ Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenNova View Post
    My self healing toon experience is with my paladin, admittedly, but the parallels draw very close (and often in the ranger's favor).

He has both quicken and maximize, and conc opp and torc, and farmed up a bauble.
    He has 1.88 healing amp as a KoTC. (human, guild, dt)
    He has devotion II, and ardor clickies.
    That's.. 31.5*(1+0.75+0.2)*2*1.88 for 230 hp a cast, for 47 sp.
    He has 550 hp and 600 sp.
    That's a tremendous amount of healing - he is entirely self sufficient.

Now, if I swap to HoTD, and grab a 1.3 amp item..
    31.5*1.95*2.97*2 for 365 hp per average cast. That's a lot.

Also, the point of maximize is that it's faster. Otherwise, csw being 12 sp alone, we wouldn't take an amplifying meta at all. I'll often turn off maximize when incoming damage is too slow to merit it. Hence, in combat you can get away with just quicken. Hence, out of combat, you can get away with neither at all - no excuses.

On a ranger, then:
    Devotion II, ardor, 1.452 amp (dt, guild):
    31.5*1.95*1.452 = 89 hp for 12 sp.
    = 7.42 hp for 1 sp.

Assuming like most rangers you have a little more spellpoints than hitpoints, that's still a massive amount of healing with ZERO build investment.
    On the Ranger side of things, there are more skill points to sink into Concentration so you can get away with not having quicken fairly easily.
    Glenalth Woodwalke ■ Preston the Ranger ■ Brisqoe the Dentist ■ Prescription Liberator
    AoK @ Argonnessen

As an arcane archer ranger, I have cure serious loaded and easy access hotkeyed. I grabbed the empower healing and have ardor clickies. Despite that, I'm wondering how useful it really is, I can hit around 100 hp cure, which is nice, but 90% of the time as soon as I cure myself a heal comes from the healer, making me wonder if its really that necessary.

Founder & Build Synthesis Battlehawke's Avatar

Default ugh

Last Time I ran my 13 Ranger through Cruicible, I ended up healing everyone, because the Cleric was constantly running out of mana with Blade Barriers....and other mana burning attacks. He never healed me, not once. We did it though....

PS, I always keep lots of wands on him....
    The Best Server: Gallhanda

Looking for a great guild? Check Out Our Guild: http://www.oldtimersguild.com/vb/forum.php

Looking for some good builds to play? https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...for-Characters

My ranger can heal himself ok, has empowered healing spell, and some belt clickies from amarath. But often in boss fights where there is a lot of mass heals, I will often double madstone, fot the extra hp and dps.

I still got guild cure serious wounds pots............... but thats about my only option when im madstoned . Unless I could use silver flame pots while madstoned?

Quote Originally Posted by Saravis View Post
    As an arcane archer ranger, I have cure serious loaded and easy access hotkeyed. I grabbed the empower healing and have ardor clickies. Despite that, I'm wondering how useful it really is, I can hit around 100 hp cure, which is nice, but 90% of the time as soon as I cure myself a heal comes from the healer, making me wonder if its really that necessary.
    If the healer ever dies, and it happens you will be happy you got it.

Community Member dennison_brillo's Avatar

well with Rangers really do have a choice of going caster ranger or pure melee much like Pally. And the healer out of mana thing is a bad healer (if he or her is a Healbot). If the healer is cleric they should have RS and if they built there toon right 20 or higher CHA you have almost endless free heals.

Community Member dennison_brillo's Avatar

oh yeah thats not to say they should not have heal pots or wand to use (the Ranger and Healer)

I love my ranger healing now but before I had a greensteel ConOp a maximise feat and a cloak of night I didn't have much use for the bluebar. Pots and wand whipping is better as others have said.

(The nice thing about the cloak of night is that when you're invisible it's easy cast without interruption -- even if you have a low concentration score like my main.)

Have several rangers and they all can heal themselves and others in a pinch

They are of mixed races ( 1 human, Helf, 2 Elf and a Drow). The human is lvl 16 with over 500 sp and my main is a lvl 20 elf with over 500 sp. I started the game soloing alot and found the usefulness of being able to cast healing spells. Since joining a guild I solo less and still am able to help with healing and give out some buffs ( always have someone asking for barkskin lol).

It was really fun when I ran where theres smoke one night and got 5 rogues to join. We completed and I ( along with their pot chugging) was able to keep us moving forward to completion with a good time had by all

alts Verpel Bunny Ftr, Spawnshadow Bunny Rogue, Loaner Rgr and Draazt Drow Ranger

My DPS Tempest has maximize and chugs ardor pots. Able to heal himself for 200+ mid battle, and in between he uses heal scrolls if trying to conserve mana for some reason. He rarely runs out of mana tho, with a bauble and a conc opp...

Community Member

My Exploiter runs Maximize, uses Superior Ardor IV pots, and carries a stack of store bought SP potions. He probably has Ranger Devotion II as well. He shrines in extra SP gear, buffs, and then swaps to his regular gear for a near full mana bar after buffing. For almost all content, this permits adequate blue bar healing, even without any healing amplification items.

When all hell breaks loose, he uses store bought potions to instantly refill his SP bar. This permits him to give the Mnemonics he pulls to casters and healers, and a stack of 100 store bought SP pots lasts him over a year. It's well worth the money. He can almost handle Suulo on his own (though not kill Suulo on his own) in Elite ToD using this method. (The last time I tried this, the healer hit me with three emergency heals. I needed those one or two of those heals, but the other 95% of the time, I was fine on my own. You can get into a bit of trouble when chained and cursed if you roll low a few times in a row and get interrupted when casting.)

You can't do this with wands or heal scrolls. If you're a capped ranger who isn't using his blue bar, you are gimping yourself. You don't need the store bought pots, although they're nice for the extra SP. Just keep the Elixirs you pull, and you'll have more than enough mana pots for those tough situations when you need reliable self-healing. If a ranger is not using their blue bar at cap, they're doing something wrong. If they aren't healing themselves off it (and they should be), then they should at least be emptying it to pass needed buffs (mainly resists).

Quote Originally Posted by k1ngp1n View Post
    I am curious how this earned neg rep. :/

Oh well.
    my guess: it's "caster loot" you dirty, dirty person! shame on you for "taking" an item that will proc all the time for you from a class that can easily avoid getting hit 90% of the time and already has enough SP to last them through anything provided they don't throw it all away!

Quote Originally Posted by k1ngp1n View Post
    I am curious how this earned neg rep. :/

Oh well.
    well if my ranger ever pulls the torc hes keeping it. didnt get it on my 20th or 40th .

Quote Originally Posted by Jaid314 View Post
    my guess: it's "caster loot" you dirty, dirty person! shame on you for "taking" an item that will proc all the time for you from a class that can easily avoid getting hit 90% of the time and already has enough SP to last them through anything provided they don't throw it all away!
    im also guessing this person is also butt hurt when he saw some class who he thought didnt deserve the torc like some ranger/paladin or even bard pull the torc, and not put it up for roll.

I can't speak for anyone else, but when I run my ranger I do not equip devotion or ardor items as pretty much everything I have on, I try to focus on HP/DPS (I do have 2 healing amp items on tho to make the healers job easier). However, I still do my best to heal between fights to keep myself capped off, or will pull away from a fight to heal up if it looks like the healers are busy elsewhere.

But that is me, however, now that you mention it. I might try the Ardor pot and then heal myself thanks for the pointer. Learn new things all the time.

My experience on my current ranger incarnation is “Eff the cure wands once you can cast Cure Moderate Wounds.” The reduction in mana costs just makes having the “Oh S#!^” key worth having. The cures from mana are way better than pots/wands and when you hit Cure Serious the benefits are just phenomenial.

Now, the rangers that annoy the hell out of me are the ones who won’t carry Barkskin for the AC builds and won’t help the party healer by passing out some energy resists, freedoms or even jump. Is camoflauge, with it’s +10 circumstance bonus to hide, *that* effing important?
    Things that if Turbine went all EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on, would actually make the game fun again.:
    • Giving us the racial PrE’s we were promised, before rolling out DDOStore™ Enhancement Trees.
    • Fixing physical defense for Rangers and Rogues. It’s ridiculous that you’re better off wearing Heavy Armor and ignoring your innate feats on these classes.
    • Cannith Crafting.
    • Update the named loot to put them on the same system.
    • Fixing the Cannith Challenges so that they can be 6 starred without incredible luck or store bought items.
    • Fixing all challenges to give us decent XP and ingredient returns for the unreasonable time we have to spend in most of them.

if you don't build self-healing into your ranger you are in idiot (unless you didn't know any better, then it's just ignorance so consider this your awakening). it's that simple, black and white, right and wrong, because I said so.

Blue-bar self-healing is beyond awesome. On my zero-healing amp elf i hit for 180 on CSW, my human will break 250 when I get him back to cap.

There's no reason to go pure ranger, even on an AA so you'll be able to fit in the maximize feat. If you splash 1 rogue no-fail heal scrolls are easy to get as a back up, if you take maximize (you do not need quicken unless you want to do crazy stuff like solo VoD) you'll have awesome self-healing that'll last you the whole game and allow you to maintain viability in epic where your AC won't work.

maximize + CSW + Amrath belt clickes for 75% healing boosts (18 minutes per rest) + healing amp = too friggin good to not utilize. I've healed main-tanks in raids when things went horribly wrong (I SO don't recommend this as plan A! )

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast