Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Sane Asylum Spoilers

Brief, spoiler laden guide to The Sane Asylum, because I like the quest and I felt like it.

******* SPOILERS *******

Summary
    Fred's been kidnapped and you need to rescue him! You also need to restore an insane asylum to sanity (such as it is) and talk to Durk.

The wiki page is pretty good and covers most of what you need to know. It is here: http://ddowiki.com/page/The_Sane_Asylum

Long-winded walkthrough:

Many of the mobs in this quest are vulnerable to light damage.

Useful buffs:
    Usual mass buffs
    FoM
    Protection from Evil
    Poison
    Cold Resist (final fight)
    GH

There are two ways into the asylum from the entrance - straight ahead or the side door (to your left on entry).
    The side door way is probably quicker and involves less insane magic users. There is, however, a fire trap that can be lethal even on Normal difficulty.
    The straight ahead way will introduce you to the basic Reality/Daydream/Nightmare phase concept of the level in a gentle fashion. With reavers. It's more tedious to zerg this way as there is a door that only drops when everything is dead.

Once inside the asylum and past the rather attractive receptionist, you come to the first puzzle.

There are two puzzles in Sane Asylum, not one - the first puzzle is the asylum itself. Xoriat energy has turned it into three different phases (usually referred to 'Reality', 'Daydream' and 'Nightmare'. Rather than getting confused which phase is which, I'm just going to refer to them as phase 1, 2 and 3. This only make a difference in the main asylum proper. You transfer between the phases by killing the named reavers / render. The different phases have different layouts and different ways that are open.

Phase 1 can be recognised as 'Normal' vision - everything looks fine and the patients are not hostile. A (small, crude and probably wrong) map for phase 1 can be found here (can't embed images - sorry)
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/854/phase1v.jpg/

Phase 2 can be recognised by the blue haze that appears at the edge of your screen. Patients attack you and the three secret areas can be reached. A map for phase 2 can be found here:
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/607/phase2y.jpg/
    Note that the secret areas are reached by entering certain cells while the patient is still alive. If necessary, lure the patient away from the door if he's blocking it.

Pase 3 can be recognised by the dark tint to the screen. Patients still attack you. Map here:
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/855/phase3.jpg/

If you want to get everything from the quest, you need to do the following:

Kill Daydream
    Explore the level. In some cells, the floor gives way (see the Wiki map for details), giving access to two beholders and a chest / shrine room.
    Approach the beholders but do not kill them
    Feel free to loot the shrine chest
    Kill Nightmare
    Kill Reality

Go through the now open central northern door, shrine and solve the puzzle.
    I've seen five different solutions to the puzzle (no idea if they differ based on difficulty or something, but the easy solutions seem much more common). Solutions are here:
    http://files1.guildlaunch.net/guild/...ons2267Pop.jpg/ (Thanks to LurchAddams below for creating this composite image)

To determine which solution to use, look at the floor and ceiling tiles close to Fred.
    Taking the light path for solution 1, look at the second tile from Fred - if the two tiles are identical, use solution 1.
    If they are different, look at the light path for solution 2 - if the first tile from Fred is identical on ceiling and floor, use solution 2.
    If they are different as well, look at the first tile on path 3 - if they are symmetrical top and bottom, use solution 3.
    Otherwise, use solution 4.

Solution 5, given above, is, I believe a redundant variant of solution 2 and can probably be ignored.

In all cases, turn the tile that Fred is standing on in order to finish the puzzle.

Remember to ask Fred for a reward, in order to get the chest with the Sustaining Symbiont (http://ddowiki.com/page/Sustaining_Symbiont) in it. The Symbiont drops on all difficulties, but is more common on elite.

Head back and kill the Right and Wrong Eyes. Note that you'll be teleported between the two during the fight, and the Right Eye is self-healing. No idea if fighting them in two groups simultaneously makes it any easier or not.
    Once the eyes are dead, there should be an extra chest just down the corridor from where Fred was trapped. If you kill either of the eyes before solving the puzzle, the puzzle becomes unsolvable and you cannot get the Symbiont chest.

Head down the corridor until you reach a dropping point. Buff up (cold resist is good) and drop down.
    Nurse Ratchet is a cold beholder with several nasty attacks. Every now and then it will teleport to someone and you will get a warning message. At this point, everyone should run away from the Nurse. She will do an increasingly damaging AoE attack that is best avoided.

When the Nurse is dead, you'll be teleported to the reception area, where Fred has locked the asylum. There will be a chest, with the possibility of a Shard of Xoriat (http://ddowiki.com/page/Shard_of_Xoriat) in it.

Job done (unless you forgot to talk to Durk at the beginning).
    Last edited by RandomKeypress; 07-05-2011 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Added some notes on puzzle and opening secret ways.

Thanks for the useful info. I will be putting some of the pics it on the Wiki, with due reference to this post, if you don't mind.
    ~ Gaeryus (Sor14/FvS4/Pal2) Firebrand ~ ~ Phlegma (12Fgt/6Rog/2Pal)(L13)(eTR2) van Moyst ~
    ~ Hakashe (Pal14/Monk6)(L3)Nurigatu ~ ~ Koergan (Cle17/Brb2/Fgt1)Flamebeard ~
    Ex-Captain of the Flying Funk ~ ~ Ascent ~ ~ Epic Farming Videos ~ ~ New and Exciting Bugs

Community Member

Just for easier viewing of these files I have put them together on one page, US Paper picture size. That file can be found here:

http://files1.guildlaunch.net/guild/...ons2267Pop.jpg

Is there a way to tell when you walk in the puzzle room which one to start out with? I thank you fo your maps, they really helped but found myself going through each scenerio till I found one that worked. It made the quest really long.
    Thelanis - Proud Officer of Archangels: http://archangelsddo.guildlaunch.com
    ALTS: Mysteeria, Larawynn, Ketanna, Sandia, Serawynn, Valkeira, Galewynn, Velarawynn,
    Keeriea, DiAndri, Celarawynn, Intimiwynn & Kerirawynn

The trick is to look at the floor / ceiling tiles. Most of them will be identical to each other, but some key ones may differ. If they are all symmetrical, solution 1 will work. If the only one that is different is the second in path from Fred when following the solution 1 track, then solution 2 will work.

I didn't work out a full set of rules for determining which combination needed which solution or I would have mentioned it here. Overall, I believe that the sequence is roughly incrementing in number of non-symmetrical tiles, but I really can't recall.

Quote Originally Posted by LurchAddams View Post
    Just for easier viewing of these files I have put them together on one page, US Paper picture size. That file can be found here:

http://files1.guildlaunch.net/guild/...ons2267Pop.jpg
    That is really handy - thank you.

Community Member

Never looked any solver for sane asylum puzzle. Little trick that helps you to solve the puzzle. We know that tiles are mirrored, you turn one and opposite side tile turns allso.

When you enter the puzzle, look tiles in floor around fred and above him. They all are identical, except one. Usually tiles are turn and other is straight line. So this is the point where the power comes in. Turn that tile under fred so it point to this direction which differs. Now you can start work the puzzle from Fred to right/left eye. And you should be able to solve it in no time. No need to look pictures and try to figure out what variation that puzzle is.

Exceptions:
    Once noticed so far, tiles didnt indicate rightaway what direction to take. Roof had 2 line tiles.

Done that quest only about dozen times and probably i havent seen all puzzle version.

Kill Daydream
    Explore the level. In some cells, the floor gives way (see the Wiki map for details), giving access to two beholders and a chest / shrine room.
    Approach the beholders but do not kill them
    Although we really tryed a couple of times we could not find the way to the shrine room (guess that is the one in the SO corner?). Can somebody give me a hint how to get there? But if so, plse spoiler it

Could you PLEASE give us the possibility to switch on and of the savant auras?

It just requires you to be in certain ... er.. "instances" (changes, depending on if you have last defeated a daydream/nightmare/reality)

I dont know the instance you need to be in, but if the cell floors turn into Xoriat eyes, you can fall into the passages

It hasn't always worked for me. I went into the asylum on normal after seeing Shenay's post and tried to trigger the chest floor dropping. I went into the correct cell (I know, because I've been there before) in both 'blue haze' phases and the floor didn't drop in either one. I did check the other two cells and their floors definitely did drop. Maybe a bug?

Thx voxson5 and RandomKeypress. It might be the reason then that we did it only on norm till now. Cause we definately tried every cell available in the "blue-haze-phase" without getting another floor to drop (exept the 2 ways to the BH's). I first thought there might be a special trick, an order in which to do the cells or something like that.
    But maybe it is an option only for hard and elite then? Or its a bug ideed.
    Last edited by Shenay; 07-03-2011 at 07:35 PM.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Shenay View Post
    Thx voxson5 and RandomKeypress. It might be the reason then that we did it only on norm till now. Cause we definately tried every cell available in the "blue-haze-phase" without getting another floor to drop (exept the 2 ways to the BH's). I first thought there might be a special trick, an order in which to do the cells or something like that.
    But maybe it is an option only for hard and elite then? Or its a bug ideed.
    I had the floor drop out on me in a normal run just last night.

Blue haze vision, had already killed the nightmare, reality, and daydream at least once each.

It seemed to drop out when I took a swing at the mob in the room. Maybe that has something to do with it? Did you draw the mob out of the room and kill it?

Exclamation Either Bugged *or* another Puzzle...

I bugged it.

All other images show 2 Eye Power Sources, Left and Right.
    When I completed the top portion (W) Fred asked "Did you forget the bottom portion?"
    <-- therefore I have to assume - BUG.

------ Unless there is a 1 Eye solution... but as of yet - I have not been able to complete -----

I am who I am...I do what I do

DDO....What's in YOUR Startup Menu?

Question Possible Reason

Quote Originally Posted by Khorban View Post
    I bugged it.

When I completed the top portion (W) Fred asked "Did you forget the bottom portion?"

------ Unless there is a 1 Eye solution... but as of yet - I have not been able to complete -----

Unless... killing a Beholder (The Wrong One) BEFORE finding Fred takes away the ability to free Fred.

I *did* do this. <-- Double Checked. I can see a Beholder shooting lightning to the
    Eye Power Source. Killing the other Beho I bet DID in fact remove the 2nd power source.

Conclusion:

NO BUG. Trial and Error Solo Mistake on My Part.

*Edited for possible personal failure in quest
    Last edited by Khorban; 07-03-2011 at 09:53 PM.
    I am who I am...I do what I do

DDO....What's in YOUR Startup Menu?

Quote Originally Posted by Krelar View Post
    I had the floor drop out on me in a normal run just last night.

Blue haze vision, had already killed the nightmare, reality, and daydream at least once each.

It seemed to drop out when I took a swing at the mob in the room. Maybe that has something to do with it? Did you draw the mob out of the room and kill it?
    We definately had blue haze vision and had already killed each Render at least once bevore we were going in the room. But I'm not sure now if we pulled the patient out or killed him inside. We did it a couple of times so I'm not sure of each kombination right now.
    But I'll retry tomorrow I guess and see then

We definately had blue haze vision and had already killed each Render at least once bevore we were going in the room. But I'm not sure now if we pulled the patient out or killed him inside. We did it a couple of times so I'm not sure of each kombination right now.
    But I'll retry tomorrow I guess and see then
    yeah blue haze, and you have to get in the room before the patient dies and sometimes he blocks the door if you can't jump over him. You don't have to kill all 3 renders to get to the room but the fire one has to be down to get the blue haze version of the map.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand"-Kurt Vonnegut

Thanks Battery - did some testing and I agree completely. The floors will not drop unless you enter the cell while the patiant is still alive (the patiant doesn't need to be in the cell). I'll update the first post accordingly.

Thanks a lot Battery and RandomKeypress!

I have one other question - but I'm not sure if it is on the right place here (please tell me if not).

I got the Symbiont and wear it with a Beholder Plate Armor (Effect: metal fatigue) and the Lenses of Opportunity (Effect: overfocus) and it seems that the Symbiont does strages things here. Sometimes it shows no effect on the overfocus. If I put of the goggles and the Symbiont and then on again it's working for the moment. But I still get the metal fatigue in quests. And after a while I also have again the penalty on spot and surch.

It seems to work well with the Infused Chaos Robe (Effect: powerdrain).

Has any of you a similar problem or is it just me?

Thanks a lot Battery and RandomKeypress!

I have one other question - but I'm not sure if it is on the right place here (please tell me if not).

I got the Symbiont and wear it with a Beholder Plate Armor (Effect: metal fatigue) and the Lenses of Opportunity (Effect: overfocus) and it seems that the Symbiont does strages things here. Sometimes it shows no effect on the overfocus. If I put of the goggles and the Symbiont and then on again it's working for the moment. But I still get the metal fatigue in quests. And after a while I also have again the penalty on spot and surch.

It seems to work well with the Infused Chaos Robe (Effect: powerdrain).

Has any of you a similar problem or is it just me?
    sometimes have to swap gear in and out to get the effects to work right, I havent quite figured it all out but usually swapping a different trinket in when I first log in fixes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Khorban View Post
    I bugged it.

You killed one of the beholders, which destroys part of the puzzle. Always do the puzzle before the beholders

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast