Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks again for the response!

Couple minor things:

I did take Undead as my first FE, Easly missable and not a big deal, thank you for pointing it out if I hadn't missed it. I did take aberitions because of the 2 new quest lines (U9 and U10) that have a lot of them in it and well I just want them dead faster.

UMD: What is 'easy' for some to get is not as 'easy' for me. I have never even had a character flagged for TOD let alone can count on swapping out spare TOD rings and I have done 1 Titan raid , and that was a long time ago and probably never going to be repeated.

This character is a dwarf and is already in the hole on the UMD stat (charisma) I won't be putting 4 points (3 with +1 tome) towards it by taking away from survivability(con) damage(str) or skills (int) that I need to use just to get the ranks in it. Dex is already at the min for dodge (Tempest prereq)

GS items just for umd: I am in a small/medium guild (we go back and forth on the favor bonus side) so there isnt a lot of us and I would rather use my spare (after i make what ever daxes I need, but that is a different thread if I ever get that far) to help out my guild mates make weapons that they need to kill with than to make something that gives me a bonus to UMD. I don't know much about GS so I don't know if I can make a useable weapon/item that can boost UMD and be something I wear all the time,but i am guessing that you can't.

I am thinking this for feats

1 toughness
    2 dodge (fighter bonus, tempest I prereq)
    3 mobility (tempest I prereq)
    6 spring attack (tempest I prereq)
    9 imp crit: slash
    12 power attack
    15 SF:umd
    18 otwf (tempest III req)

If I get some decent gear and feel the SF: Umd isnt needed I will probably swap it out for candy or something else useful.

Thanks again for all the responses!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    you dont get glancing blows while twf, so getting extra cleaves of glancing blows is not going to work for him while using two weapons hes going to have to equipe a sheild a waste of time on a ranger.
    Actually you do - but only while cleaving. A cleave only uses the main hand. It's still insane for a TWF to do it for the glancing blows though.
    Last edited by TimoteoDeLani; 06-20-2011 at 03:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorzian View Post
    snip
    All I'm "telling him" is that 23 UMD worth it even if he cant yet reach the 40 glory rank.
    A +6 CHA item is the next I'm about to get to my rog (Its already 2nd tier air/air, will make it 3rd tier right after i'll finish my HP cloak's 3rd tier).

UMD is WAY much more than just equip bypass:
    - Heal scrolls
    - Raise scrolls
    - Teleport scrolls
    - Fire shield scrolls
    - Wands
    And more

He'll actually gimp himself by not investing in UMD.
    Last edited by MiahooJunk; 06-20-2011 at 05:13 AM.
    Server: Cannith
    Mains: Miahoo, Miahoorog, Miahoohealer

too stupid to play ddo properly? best max umd. its what all the other idiots are doing
    If thats the case, then I agree. I'm an idiot who use UMD.

Quote Originally Posted by MiahooJunk View Post
    All I'm "telling him" is that 23 UMD worth it even if he cant yet reach the 40 glory rank.
    A +6 CHA item is the next I'm about to get to my rog (Its already 2nd tier air/air, will make it 3rd tier right after i'll finish my HP cloak's 3rd tier).

UMD is WAY much more than just equip bypass:
    - Heal scrolls
    - Raise scrolls
    - Teleport scrolls
    - Fire shield scrolls
    - Wands
    And more

He'll actually gimp himself by not investing in UMD.

i never siad it's stupid to invest in umd. forgive my little outburst but i take neg rep without any type of intelligent argument seriously. but as far as gimping yourself, there is no benefit to a dps toon in the gear investment. we are talking about a necklace slot, a helmet slot, a greensteel slot, a ring slot, and a charisma item slot.. 5 item slots that could be hitpoint, saving throw, or dps contributers. for soloing yes, it's great to have but otherwise?

heal scrolls- ranger build.. they use wands. 3 wand clicks=1 heal scroll

raise scrolls- either a pos pos greensteel or a planar shard trinket

teleport scrolls- ghola fan a few times for a mask.. or cheap as hell turbine point teleport wands useable by all

fireshield scrolls- limited uses.. nearly all of which you have a healer for.. and on the build in question evasion

and more- like what?

ddo is a pretty simple game. your gear should either make you more surviveable or contribute to your dps. finding the balance of that it the key. missing 5 pieces of gear very much contributes to a loss of dps... the argument is increased surviveability but i do not see that being balanced. when umd 15 gear shows up i'll change my mind abot it as a 1 or 2 gear slot investment makes way more sense then 5 or 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post
    We should make our feedback as honest as possible so that when it is absolutely ignored by Turbine we will get bonus points on the scoreboard of life.

Quote Originally Posted by MiahooJunk View Post
    If thats the case, then I agree. I'm an idiot who use UMD.
    again, my apologies for the outburst. although with only 1 level 20 toon and 1 year of experience you might want to open your mind to methods of play other then some of the more popular ones in these pages. my toons arent listed because there's too many of them. and 4 of those do indeed max the umd. 1 of those 4 use it regularly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post
    We should make our feedback as honest as possible so that when it is absolutely ignored by Turbine we will get bonus points on the scoreboard of life.

Community Member

again, my apologies for the outburst. although with only 1 level 20 toon and 1 year of experience you might want to open your mind to methods of play other then some of the more popular ones in these pages. my toons arent listed because there's too many of them. and 4 of those do indeed max the umd. 1 of those 4 use it regularly.
    This doesn't help you. You're way off base here. On a build that can easily hit max ranks in UMD, it's be silly not to do so. But worse, on THIS build, it'd be insane not to do so. Some folks haven't explained why you're wrong. I'll be nice and do so, point by point.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorzian
    [dumbest.... argument....... ever!! you're telling him to build a tier 3 greensteel for a chance to raise when a tier 2 is a guarenteed (pos pos) nevermind planar shard trinkets. there are 2 seperate ones for 10 and 25 shards that have 1 and 2 clicks respectively of raise dead.
    First of all, since he can hit no-fail, it isn't for a "chance to raise". So that's a fail. Second, a Tier 2 GS item gives you one use of Raise Dead per rest. Not so hot. Third, your Planar Shard option requires grinding the SubT endlessly. Fourth, this build can use Resurrection scrolls, not the pathetic Raise Dead options you've fingered. Finally, this build can really benefit from a Tier III GS item that boosts UMD ability. Your responses here are poor.

but as far as gimping yourself, there is no benefit to a dps toon in the gear investment.
    Wait, there is NO BENEFIT to a DPS toon in having the gear that lets them use any scroll in the game? That's crazy talk, friend.

we are talking about a necklace slot, a helmet slot, a greensteel slot, a ring slot, and a charisma item slot
    What? Who says this build needs to devote all those slots to UMD? For all the scrolls you might want to use before combat or outside of combat, gear swapping isn't a big deal. Do you not gear swap? If you don't, why are you gimping yourself? Too lazy to play well?

+6 CHA can be slotted on an Epic item. The build has access to Ranger Skill Boost. Peruse the following, please:

23: UMD Ranks
    02: Base CHA 6, +2 Tome, +6 (Epic Slotted)
    02: Head of Good Fortune
    04: Greater Heroism
    05: Seven-Fingered Gloves (Competence Bonus)
    05: Shroud Blindness/Disease Immunity Existential Stalemate II Conc. Opp.
    05 Ranger Skill Boost IV
    01: Guild Charisma (Lesser Charisma Shrine)
    01: Exceptional CHA +2
    ----------------------------
    48 UMD

Obviously 48 is overkill. Drop what you want to perfect your gear setup. Let's get rid of that HoGF. I'd rather see a Bloodstone, Epic Bloodstone or Litany there. So we're at 46. Let's remember that this is a ranger. A ranger needs a WIS item. So we'll keep the Conc. Opp. That gives the ranger more SP and the needed +6 WIS. Let's drop the Exceptional CHA +2 for something better. Ok. 45. Let's drop the Ranger Skill Boost IV, for more awesome Enhancement Point expenditure. Ok. 40. Oh snap. I'm seeing ONE item that needs to be slotted (the Seven-Fingered Gloves). What happened to your claimed five items? Worse for you, the glove slot is a perfect swap slot on this build.

heal scrolls- ranger build.. they use wands. 3 wand clicks=1 heal scroll
    You're recommending wands as an end-game healing option for a build that can no-fail heal scrolls? Have fun trying that method out in any kind of pickle.

raise scrolls- either a pos pos greensteel or a planar shard trinket
    For limited use of the pathetic Raise Dead, yes. That's the raise gimps cast.

teleport scrolls- ghola fan a few times for a mask.. or cheap as hell turbine point teleport wands useable by all
    You think being able to cast Teleport once per rest is cool? I mean, it's cool if you like being slow. And you forgot Greater Teleport scrolls, which this build can use. I won't address your sorry Turbine Point substitute.

fireshield scrolls- limited uses.. nearly all of which you have a healer for.. and on the build in question evasion
    You have a healer for what? Nobody can give you Fireshield. Oh, you mean you want to drain the healer's SP bar because you fail at being self-sufficient and succeed at being a party liability? If I had to guess, I'd bet your primary is a barbarian.

and more- like what?
    This comment demonstrates your ignorance. As noted above, you've already forgotten Resurrection and Greater Teleport. You've also forgotten Invisibility, Mass Invisibility, and Greater Heroism. (For the latter, you've offered a lame non-substitute.) You've also left out Nightshield (though this is less useful, given a certain item). And you've forgotten Displacement, Stoneskin, Reconstruct, Hero's Feast, True Seeing and Greater Restoration. Think more, rant less.

Also remember that UMD opens up the use of quite a few items. We haven't considered that aspect of the skill yet. Your suggestion that this build shouldn't max UMD is just way off base. I think the case is now closed, and I hope you agree.
    Last edited by Faent; 06-21-2011 at 10:33 PM.

One more thing for the OP:
    If you do decide to invest in UMD, its better to go True Neutral. Not too important, but still. (Unless u decide to go monk instead of a fighter, as monk requires being Lawful).

UMD is great, incredibly useful, but I wouldn't spend a feat on it.
    You can take another toughness if you like, or even something like maximize spell if you wind up crafting a +5/+6 CHR skills conc-opp greensteel. That comes with a lot of spell points on it, and is also your WIS item...

I took 2 toughness feats and also maximize spell with my build. It's nice to CSW myself for 200+ mid battle, and if somehow I'm low on SP I can scroll myself in-between fights. It's fun being self-sufficient.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12