Community Member

Default Leveling a 28pt. Rogue (Having a bit of living difficulty)

So I built myself a rogue or two, tried a few different builds I found posted, and around the 6ish area I kept running into this roadblock. My disable device and search skills were good enough regardless of my build do to most quests of my level on elite and be able to catch the traps, but my problem was a little more basic. With staying with a pure rogue I had plenty of skill points, but survivability blew. Somewhere between 50-70hp, 25ish AC, and minimal DPS. My light side monk of similar level has twice the HP, 30+ AC, never gets hit, and can self heal. What am I doing wrong? I can barely handle same level quests on hard or normal while soloing and if in a party without some sort of tank at least 1-2 monsters in a mob head straight for me, sneak or not. It seems to me like I'm either way too ill equiped and should hold off on rogue until I have a higher char. to gear it up with or I'm doing something drastically wrong in gameplay or build. Helps?

What lvl? stats? build?
    ~Miahoo all around!~

To all my friends: I Troll! Deal with it! You still hate me!

Aye, definitely need your starting stats and such. Otherwise any suggestions we may offer would be like throwing darts in the dark. It might be fun but you more then likely won't hit what your aiming at.
    ... a soldier,
    Full of strange oaths, and bearded like the pard,
    Jealous in honor, sudden and quick in quarrel,
    Seeking the bubble reputation,
    Even in the dragon's mouth.

Community Member

Honestly the characters don't exist anymore, deleted them. I've got veteran status so I've been rolling, finding it exactly the way it was before, and rerolling, and trying again. Usually though it looks abit like 14, 16, 12-14, 14-16, 8, 8- somewhere along those lines. I think my problem is too much trying to solo, but if I'm not playing with my wife my guild is so small it's hard to find people who want to run what I need to run.

Edit: I've been running TWF, usually human grabbing TWF, toughness, oversized TWF, and then exotic: Khopesh because everybody goes on about how awesome they are. Haven't made it far enough to include ITWF yet.

Community Member

Are you playing these rogues in a group? Because rogues are very difficult to solo with.
    A rogue is not a fighter, you can't just waltz in and start hacking at things. You don't have the attack bonus, the hit points, the AC or the damage (without sneak attack) to do it.

Some tips:
    - leave 2 weapon fighting for what it is at the moment, take the feats, but use a 2handed weapon or a weapon and shield. The -2 penalty hurts you more than you realize.
    - Be sure to carry lots of potions: bull's strength and heroism potions help a lot. Depending on your gear, that's a +4 to hit. You can also try looking for clickies of those spells.
    - Do you have the goggles of insight out of korthos? That's another +1 to hit. Get the Anger's Wrath set as well, for another +2 to hit.
    - Think about getting a decent armor and shield. You should be able to get your AC in the 30's easily. A +3 chain shirt and a +3 heavy shield, combined with a ring of protection +2 and a barkskin potion gets you a 30AC.
    - look for an armor of invulnerability, it will give you DR 5/magic and that helps a lot.
    - Kopeshes are the best dps weapons, true, but you're not going to notice this at lower levels. You can take the feat at a later level and take Power Attack instead. This will give you a bigger DPS boost. It will also save you some money, because kopeshes are ridiculously expensive.
    - Get a hireling to accompany you or a summon to draw aggro. That way you get your sneak attacks.

Something that will help for levels below 6 is not dual wielding weapons but sticking with a sword and board. ( until you grab ITWF actually)

At these early levels TWF does not add alot of dps and it lowers your to hit. A shield will certainly help you survive.

Other then that, solo'ing with a rogue is just a hard thing to do. As long as you can't blind your enemies ( which comes only at end game) you're dps versus a mob with aggro will be low.

Try putting up a lfm yourself if you don't find ones that suit you, people should join fast enough and it will make your life easier, even with the standard quality of a low level pug ;-p
    Triumore - Triu - Broktar
    Mitis Mors

Community Member

Thanks, it hadn't occurred to me to just use a weapon and a shield. I had toyed with the idea of multiclassing but it seemed that losing out on the capstone and the skill points would make me useless. As for potting, carrying that many pots I find to be just too expensive. I supposed I should just go pick myself up some +3 armor/shield and put my nose to the grindstone.

1. Always take toughness as one of your feats so you can take the toughness enhancements.

2. Use a rapier and shield at low levels.

3. Get some +5 lock picks off the auction house or from a friend or another character, they make locks and traps easy.

4. Take at least some strength, even if you plan to go finesse. I recommend overall balanced stats on a rogue. 14s are pretty good all around. Wisdom can be dumped typically, charisma is pretty optional as well. Other stats depend a bit on the race you go with. 15-16 dex is pretty standard, more than that is often a waste of starting points (elves/drow/halflings can justify 17-18) Con/Int are good at 14.

Str 14, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 8 would be a human 28pt rogue. Well rounded can get decent AC with chain shirt and heavy shield, decent HP and decent skills. Spot is iffy but not so essential anyhow.
    Happy Host of DDOcast The Dungeons and Dragons Online Podcast
    Member of the Umber Hulks and The Madborn of Thelanis
    You can see my many builds listed in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakeima View Post
    Thanks, it hadn't occurred to me to just use a weapon and a shield. I had toyed with the idea of multiclassing but it seemed that losing out on the capstone and the skill points would make me useless. As for potting, carrying that many pots I find to be just too expensive. I supposed I should just go pick myself up some +3 armor/shield and put my nose to the grindstone.
    I know you don't like that "M" word but here is a multi-class build I have used before with success. It has full search, disable, spot and UMD, Tempest III, above average DPS and great self-heals for survivability. You don't have to use the +2 tomes for it to be effective but I like to have them. Like others have said, your best off grabbing a Greataxe initially along with a Dwarven Axe and Shield for the tougher fights. I did that up to about level 6 and then started using my TWF.

*EDIT*-Screwed something up and was able to only post level 1. Will try later.
    Last edited by Nysrock; 06-19-2011 at 03:21 AM.
    ... a soldier,
    Full of strange oaths, and bearded like the pard,
    Jealous in honor, sudden and quick in quarrel,
    Seeking the bubble reputation,
    Even in the dragon's mouth.

I concur with what other posters said too. I think pure rogues are just fine, and your ability stat is decent too. Rogues are just naturally screwed hard for hp. if you drop khopesh proficiency, you can think about picking up a second toughness feat.

Also:
    *are you wielding 2 khopeshes? having a non-light weapon in off hand gives you even more to-hit penalties that are pretty harsh at low lvl.
    *honestly, the vast majority of rogue's dps is from sneak attack anyway. so, as previously said, use 2-handed weapon or sword and board is probably easier at low lvl. And at high lvl, for your first toon, I recommend using a rapier and a shortsword to save on the cost of buying weapons from GH and crafting. I think the loss of dps compared to khopeshes is minimal IMO.
    *monsters usually aggro the first person they see, so rogues are much, much harder to solo than monks. so when you pug, always stay 2 steps behind other melees. let them draw aggro first, then you join in and finish it off. once you get used to this play style it can be second nature. if you want to be the one to charge into the room first everytime, you'll find it easier being a monk or other melees. if a monster starts attacking me, i would run away to another monster so I can get my sneak attacks in. if you really don't feel like pugging, always tell you hireling cleric to attack a mob first so he'll draw the aggro, hehe. summoned pets also all seem to have uncanny abilities to draw massive aggro from really far away too.

After lvl 16ish you can craft a green steel Radiance II weapon from shroud raids, which blinds a monster on a critical hit, and a blinded monster always grant SA even if he's targeting you, then you'll never leave home w/o it again

Oh here's a really good guide in general: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...ht=rogue+guide
    Last edited by DDOGoz; 06-22-2011 at 10:13 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by .Revenga. View Post
    Other then that, solo'ing with a rogue is just a hard thing to do. As long as you can't blind your enemies ( which comes only at end game) you're dps versus a mob with aggro will be low.
    Hence a high Bluff skill. I have a 2 Bard/2 Ranger/2 Rogue right now, and even with only 2 Rogue levels the Bluff is great.

1) opponent often momentarily turns around = less incoming damage
    2) sneak attacks happen

Higher levels of Rogue would really benefit, maybe even taking them down in one or two swings.

Started my carreer with a 28-point pure rogue and as being still my main char here's some piece of advice:

* always go for TWF. ALWAYS. Either strength build with dual-kopesh or dex build, with finesse and dual-rapier, but TWF is a must have, because with haste boost you'll deal tons of damage.

Can have a 1 handed + shield till lvl 9 at most (by the time you must have ITW)
    feats to pick in order:
    - If STR build: TWF, Toughness, ITWF
    - If DEX build: Finesse, TWF, Toughness, ITWF

* You are not a tank. you must not go up front and take damage, that means AC becomes pointless when you're not soloing. You don't want aggro and you don't want damage. You want the enemy dead. And you main source of damage is SA (sneak attack). Stay always a few steps behind the leader (or whoever is running up front in a quest) even if that means forcing yourself to slow down / pause.

Your skills are unmatched, make sure to have equipment for all important skills (spot, search, disable, open lock) but you don't need to wear them all the time, save for spot.
    Always carry +STR/DEX/CON items too and all your gear should be the most actual according to your lvl. Note: your stats need to be even in order to benefit from it, so with 13 STR a +4 STR item won't do any more than a +3 would.

* I know the first levels are very VERY hard to level with a rouge and possibly the only class in the game where the soloing ability is really challenging. Always look for LFMs, and whenever possible get a party. You'll progress a lot easier (and a rogue is rarely declined if there's none yet picked).

* later on focus on your first GS weapon : radiance II. that will change your rogue into the ultimate killing machine even in up-front killing and when killing non-undead, non-construct enemies you'll be on the top of dps/kill ratio toplist.

As a sum: Every beginning is hard and that's by far truth for the rogue but it worth the fuss.
    -- CANNITH --
    -- Leader of Csodaszarvas --
    Hulligan / Hegyomlas / Shearnily / Ithril

Ever consider a quartrstaff acrobat?
    Thf doesn't take the to hit penalties , splash a level of monk for ac , keep the str maxed , the dex low and the con high.
    Ru s solo much better than your avg rogue.

As stated before some gear helps a robe of invunerability and the best fort item you can get go a long way to getting through the low levels.
    Run with a party when you can, trust me your ego will thank you for it. Running solo and feeling weak but still getting through is ok but run that same toon through with most pugs and feel like a god.
    Also don't bother doing elite untill you are at level for it. That means if it is a level 3 quest on normal don't run elite till you are level 6. Honestly it is just a macho BS waste of resources to do so. I have twinked to the gills toons that can and have handled elite before level but I don't. You don't have anything to prove.
    Move along , Nothing to see here

Almost forgot... there's a very precise, detailed, well-written and accurate how-to for rogue builds with many forever-valid truths:

http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Notes..._Dancing_Rogue

Love it. Bookmark it. Enjoy it.
    -- CANNITH --
    -- Leader of Csodaszarvas --
    Hulligan / Hegyomlas / Shearnily / Ithril

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sakeima View Post
    So I built myself a rogue or two, tried a few different builds I found posted, and around the 6ish area I kept running into this roadblock. My disable device and search skills were good enough regardless of my build do to most quests of my level on elite and be able to catch the traps, but my problem was a little more basic. With staying with a pure rogue I had plenty of skill points, but survivability blew. Somewhere between 50-70hp, 25ish AC, and minimal DPS. My light side monk of similar level has twice the HP, 30+ AC, never gets hit, and can self heal. What am I doing wrong? I can barely handle same level quests on hard or normal while soloing and if in a party without some sort of tank at least 1-2 monsters in a mob head straight for me, sneak or not. It seems to me like I'm either way too ill equiped and should hold off on rogue until I have a higher char. to gear it up with or I'm doing something drastically wrong in gameplay or build. Helps?
    If you're not opposed to it, try bringing a hireling with Summon Monster and stay stealthy until after the cleric & monster have drawn agro - your hits will be sneak attacks and do much more damage. That way the mobs will be dead before they discover you are squishy.

If they don't die quick enough, throw a Diplomacy or two - the new clerics are dumb as dirt but they Intimidate often and that plus Diplo is usually enough to shift mob attention back to them.

I've played with both finesse and strength rogues, and my strength rogues seemed to solo better.

If you ever find a good solution for undead let me know, I still have to run undead quests 2 levels below living opponent quests when I solo on my rogues

And one last thought - consider the Mechanic Pre. With crafting you can make a roaring (or vicious or whatever) +2 repeating light crossbow of lesser (aberration or ooze) bane at about crafter level 20. They let solo rogues take out those pesky rust monsters and oozes before they damage your equipment.
    I'm only an occasional player since ShadowFell, please forgive me if I'm not up to speed on anything that's changed since then.

Read this and this.
    Download and use this.

listen to what these people have said.

Use a cleric hireling and put points into the bluff skill. A good bluff means you can fight a group one at a time.
    The Fockers of Argo
    Fuglymofo; LOOON; Hobaggin; Fuglyrobo; Buttscracher; Whoaa

Quote Originally Posted by Bodic View Post
    Read this and this.
    Download and use this.

listen to what these people have said.
    OP. Do what everyone says because I see good advice And most importantly, know that soloing will be expensive for you, and difficult. Save that for later.
    Khyber:Greenberry, Jemric, Qashta, Leuk, Thurradal + many others