Default Introduction of more Schools: Illusion

At the moment, a couple schools of magic are kind of forgotten about even though they could have a great place in the world of DDO. In DDO right now the only schools of magic that you see people specializing in are Enchantment, Evocation, Necromancy, and maybe Conjuration. Abjuration, Divination, Illusion and Transmutations spells are almost forgotten about except the couple of spells that are used like Stoneskin, True Seeing, Invisibility, and Flesh to Stone. Illusions are the most forgotten about and easily can be fit into the game.

As the game is right now, there are 7 illusion spells. However, Illusion spells fall into that weird category that everyone believes are simply "Role Playing" spells when they aren't. In my mind the illusion spells should be hate grabbers that draw the fire away from the caster and maybe the rest of the party when they don't have a tank like character. For example take my example of silent image.

Silent Image (1st level spell)
    List of Creatures: Kolbold Warrior (runs towards them), Kolbold Shaman (pulls them away from you), Kolbold Thrower (pulls them towards you)
    The illusion creature will attack (like a summoned monster) drawing hate to the best of its abilities. It doesn't produce any sound so until the creature see it they won't go after it. However when they first see it they are entitled to a will save to disbelieve the creature and gain another will save every time they strike it to realize it is an illusion. If they make a successful attack against the creature (making the will save) the illusion poofs and is destroyed.

Minor Image would allow some sounds so they could potentally be used to draw creatures towards you as well as adding a different list of creatures that you would normally find at level.

Mirror Image would have 1d4+1 illusions of yourself run from you and start casting spells (Scorching Rays Animation) to draw hate away from you.

The other "Image Spells would follow this principle seeming to become more real every spell.

Now not all illusion spells are focused on creating images but making your image, disappear. Spells like invisibility sphere and Greater Invisibility would allow people to fade from the world as the illusions grab and pull aggro. Invisibility is already in the game as well as its mass version so imagine these except shorter and don't go away after attacking like the Mabar cloaks.

One of the greatest things about illusion though is its versatility though, because when you get to higher levels you can use a single spell slot to cast several different types of spells. Shadow Evocation and Shadow Conjuration allow you to create several types of evocation or conjuration spells without stuffing your spell slot full of them the only draw-back is, they are only partially real meaning that if they make their will save, they only take 20% of the damage. Look at Shadow Evocation for example,

Shadow Evocation
    List: Shadow Force Missile, Shadow Fireball, Shadow Lightning Bolt, Shadow Frost Lance
    You replicate the effects of the spell by the same name however the target is allowed a will save to disbelieve before the effect takes place. If they make their will save, they only suffer 20% of the damage that the spell would of normally dealt. Stuff like spell resistance and additional saves like reflex saves are allowed to the target of the spell whether they make the will save or not.

Shadow Conjuration would be the same thing with a different list of spells 3rd level or lower.

Greater Shadow Conjuration would be 60% real with a list of conjuration spells 6th level or lower while Greater Shadow Evocation would be 60% real with a list of Evocation spells 7th level or lower. Shades would be the Greatest version of this spell allowing any conjuration level 8 or lower and being 80% real. Where these spell might not seem that great for wizards, sorcerers would gain some more spell but at the cost of extra saves and bards would be able to cast some spells not usually on their list.

Nightmare and Weird would be the last spells that I would like to see added into the game. Nightmare, would be changed from pnp that only did 1d10 damage and caused fatigue over a night's sleep to any creature asleep would be dealt 1d10 untyped damage every 2 seconds they were asleep making it a powerful tool to anyone who can use the sleep and deep slumber spells that are right now undesirable spells.
    While Weird was a mass Phantasmal Killer.

Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by Rakian_Knight; 06-18-2011 at 06:28 PM.
    A necromancer from before Pale Master came out.
    Argonesson: Nexal / Dolgos / Golgos / Earie / Nexas
    Threads: Halfling PrE, Master Thrower / New set of spells: Illusion

Mirror Image I think I used the most in PNP in the illusion school.
    Foresight was the most used divination spell. Both would fit into DDO.

Foresight would be a nice addition: You make all saves, skill checks and avoid all attacks/traps for several seconds(10-20) as well as do not miss, force targets of your spells to automatically fail their saves & skill checks.
    Aeolwind (5/12) - 18 Sorc/1 Art | Melisandria - 20 Fighter SD | Anlona - 20 cleric RS

I have posted a few Illusion spells in another thread that I feel would enhance the game.

Phantasmal Force - Illusionary Magic Missile affected by Illusion DCs rather than Evoc but otherwise fully the same as MM - A save would require the monster to believe you can't cast MM so would be extremely high if any.

Imp Phantasmal Force - Illusionary Force Missiles.

Mirror Image - The definitive Illusion Spell from PnP.

As for Transmuters/Abjurers/Diviners - These schools of magic are not inherently about dealing damage {neither is enchantment but that has it's own reasons}.

I don't see where Transmutation DCs would be needed, Abjuration is useful in Banishment and Dismissal and could become more used if those spells were stronger or a higher lvl and a lower lvl version were added - considering they already do much the same thing however this would probably be pointless.

Divination of course is not about dealing damage at all - It would be a nice flavour addon for the game but without the power it would give there wouldn't really be a point and with that power well you'd never fail a quest again.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeolwind View Post
    Mirror Image I think I used the most in PNP in the illusion school.
    Foresight was the most used divination spell. Both would fit into DDO.

Foresight would be a nice addition: You make all saves, skill checks and avoid all attacks/traps for several seconds(10-20) as well as do not miss, force targets of your spells to automatically fail their saves & skill checks.
    As I said - with this power you'd never fail a quest again -

Foresight perhaps a +5 to all skill checks/saves/attack rolls.
    -5 to opponents.
    20 seconds +5 seconds/4 lvls might be appropriate.

Solipsism would probably be a solid addition for Illusion:

Illusion (Phantasm)
    Level: Wizard/Sorcerer 7
    Components: V
    Range: Medium
    Target: One creature
    Duration: 1 round/level (D)
    Saving Throw: Will negates
    Spell Resistance: Yes

You manipulate the senses of one creature so that
    it perceives itself to be the only real creature
    in all of existence and everything around it to
    be merely an illusion.

If the target fails its save, it is convinced
    of the unreality of every situation it might
    encounter. It takes no actions, not even purely
    mental actions, and instead watches the world
    around it with bemusement. The subject becomes
    effectively helpless and takes no steps to defend
    itself from any threat, since it considers any
    hostile action merely another illusion.

The two big draws it has over something like Hold Monster:
    • It is not paralysis.
    • It has no reoccurring save.
    Server - Thelanis
    Diaries of a True Reincarnate (Wizard, Sorcerer, Melee, Divine, Artificer, Druid)

Sorry its longer than I thought it was going to be but it is finished.
    A necromancer from before Pale Master came out.
    Argonesson: Nexal / Dolgos / Golgos / Earie / Nexas
    Threads: Halfling PrE, Master Thrower / New set of spells: Illusion

Mirror image had technical issues trying to implement originally iirc. Perhaps it can be done now.

I`m not sure why we don`t have shadow conjuration and evocation lines yet, I wouldn`t mind shadow necromancy.

I`ve posted suggestions on the low level image line before too. They boil down to WILL save or not being able to enter the space the images are in after a collision detection check, similar to a player being in that area. Adding area and threat modifiers to give aggro to some image choices as an option as level of the spell increases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    a powerful ally able to play in any role that the group needs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zonbLF-NMZg

Not OP enough.

Simulacrum:
    http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Simulacrum

Shades:
    http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Shades

Also, welcome back MrCow!

no color spray?

also, mirror image seems like it would be easy to do.

take the code for stoneskin. instead of DR 10, make it DR (some arbitrarily high number). instead of checking for adamantine when you're hit, check if they roll a 1 on a D(however many images are left, including yourself). should solve the problem, no?

(edit: mind you, it's easy to make assumptions for how easy it would be... it's entirely possible that the stoneskin code is some nightmarish jumble of nonsensical variables and bad programming that could render the reader insane...)

They should introduce new Illusion Spells when they finally get around to implement Gnomes.
    Feel free to contradict yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaid314 View Post
    no color spray?

also, mirror image seems like it would be easy to do.

take the code for stoneskin. instead of DR 10, make it DR (some arbitrarily high number). instead of checking for adamantine when you're hit, check if they roll a 1 on a D(however many images are left, including yourself). should solve the problem, no?

(edit: mind you, it's easy to make assumptions for how easy it would be... it's entirely possible that the stoneskin code is some nightmarish jumble of nonsensical variables and bad programming that could render the reader insane...)
    Mirror image was an issue way back in the day, and if I do recall correctly there was a lag concern adding it. This was over 5 years ago of course and I do not have the memory I used to have.

I also do not see why we cannot add rainbow pattern and make a mobile hypnotic pattern, but I believe it was a game issue creating mobile aoe`s too back then.

It`s not like illusions don`t exist all over PnP material, we just need more implemented. I`d like to see nightmare terrain from complete mage too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    a powerful ally able to play in any role that the group needs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zonbLF-NMZg