Default VON 5: Rage/Hillarity/Head-Banging Occurs

<DISCLAMER----Names, although not necessarily the location of the events that follow have been changed to protect those involved. Still...you know who you are.... >

This past Tuesday night I couldn't sleep so I decided to do a few quick quests to calm me down (yeah right). I did a quick check to see what PUG's were running and found a group that was running the entire VON chain. Being a TR, and being an AP away from the Lvl 9 - Lvl 11 jump, I joined the group.

The group ran well and we stayed together through Von 2-4. We decided to run VON 5 and I ran VON 1 and 2 with part of our group so they could be flagged. We then put up a LFM for the RAID. It filled relatively quickly, and we got under way. To this point we had been having fun and had no real issues, well other than being screamed at by our Thief for accidentally taking the Lightning Rod to end VON4. "We were supposed to Roll for it!"", I was berrated, "why would you take it without rolling!!!" Calmly I explained (a) I didn't want it, I forgot it wasn't just a plot device to end the quest (b)It isn't bound to account so whoever wants to roll for it can have it. NOBODY wanted it!! LOL...Meh, we moved on. (more form our Thief shorty)

RAGE

Right away, the group leader lets us know he doesn't know the RAID well and asks if anyone that knows it well minds leading. He gets no answer, but two of the last entries onto the pug, we'll call them Toughguy1 and Toughguy 2 start dropping f-bombs over voicechat like they're going out of style, demanding to know who took the "Voice of the Master" and "how dare someone take the voice of the master" and "I'm not wasting 80 minutes running this raid only to find out nobody has the (f-bomb) Voice of the Master". This is followed by a roaring silence. Our fearless leader piped up again and says to Toughguy1 "You obviously know this quest, do you mind leading the RAID and giving us some direction?". Toughguy 1 (f-bombingly) agrees and shouts "Well, if I'm leading, my first direction is for everyone to quit out and we'll reform and reenter". Toughguy 2 F-bombs in agreement, and we all start dropping out, refrom and re-enter. We then get baraged with f-bombs again to the tune of "Nobody talk to anyone. Don't do anything!!!" f-bomb, f-bomb- f-bomb, "I'll get the f-boming Voice of the Master".

HILLARITY

Ok, so Toughguy1, who sounds like a 15 year-old Bill Gates with Tourette's syndrome has calmed down and is leading us down the right path. We get to the Puzzle room and Toughguy2 starts efficiently solving the puzzle. Toughguy1 asks our Thief, we'll call him Clueless, to come back with him to start opening doors and clearing traps. He gets no reponse. Toughguy 2 then screams shrilly, as shrilly as an f-bomb dropping surfer hippy can scream, that he's "Not going to f-bomb fight for the f-bombing right to solve the f-bombing puzzle". I look, and low and behold our trusty thief, Clueless, is obstinately trying to solve the puzzle WITH Toughguy2. Toughguy1 and Toughguy2 start dropping F-bombs at Clueless, rapid fire. At this point, I'm crying on my keyboard with delight. I run up stairs, grab some popcorn, and sit back down to watch the show. Toughguy1 and Toughguy2 reach the conclusion that Clueless must have (a) Squelched them or (b) Be willfully ignoring them. Either way...that's good comedy IMHO. Seriously, I couldn't blame Clueless, as these two were Class A D-bags. Nobody else was complaining about their behavior because none of us had much expereince on the RAID, and hey 18k XP is 18k xp. Still, I think at this point we were all silently cheering Clueless on. Regardless, the berrating and f-bombing continue. Toughguy 1 pronounces loudly to Toughguy2 "Well, this guy is just rude. He just isn't listening". Through tear filled eyes, and shaking shoulders, I type out that "The Irony in that statement was killing me". (I guess they missed the jab) They F-bomb on at Clueless a bit more before finally passing on the Voice and rage-quiting

HEAD-BANGING

So with the verbally-assaultive, nerdy-ragers gone, we continued the RAID. Several of us typed in Chat for Clueless to go ahead and disable traps and that one of us would attempt the puzzle. He ignored us ALL (Mass squelch?...nay just CLUELESS) and continued his horrible attempts. Finally, after I'm guessing we had been in the RAID an hour, he yells out on Voicechat "Ahhhhh, i can't do this stupid puzzle, I forget how guys". My head bangs on the keyboard.

Someone steps to the plate, spends a reasonable amount of time solving it. He is one tile away, and it doesn't work. He screams that he had it..somebody must have changed some of the tiles. I spot Clueless lurking nearby decidedly NOT disarming traps in the other parts of the Vault. Hmmmm....who is the culrprit? My head bangs on the keyboard.

So, I decide to vacate the area and go running off to see what I can kill with my axe, to pass time. A Bard who had joined after the Toughguy duo rage-quit, accompanies me and starts disarming traps. A while later we hear the announcement that our second puzzle master has recovered from the bungling "help" and solved the puzzle. Here come the troops... The silence is shattered when Clueless, our "trusty" thief, shouts out in anger/dismay/grief "Hey!!!!! Who disarmed all my traps" "Don't you know you should leave traps and locks for the Rogue so he has something to do? Come on guys!! <whine>"" My head bangs on the keyboard...oh, and I laugh so hard I pee a little.

Ok...so everything else goes fairly well, minus half of the party (including one of our two high WIS characters) wiping in the lava on the WRONG side of the dual doors (WITH the Voice of the Master). We actually achieved, in my opinion, a Time record for the RAID. All told, we were able to complete VON5 in just under 3 hours. Woot!

MORALE OF THE STORY

A) If you are Uber or stylize yourself as Uber...don't launch-off on people and act like un-restrained knuckle-dragging morons. You won't be liked. You won't be listended to. Others WILL cut off their face to spite their nose. (We did) If the party looks like it will be too painful to PUG with or you sense they may be a pack of half-wit unskilled noobs (which it turned out we were) then just excuse yourself politely and quit. No need to bully.

B) If someone who is Uber, or stylizes themselves as Uber joins your PUG, for the love of Jeebus...shut up and do what you are told so that you can complete the quest quickly and efficiently and get your much-needed xp and loot.

C) If both A and B above are bing ignored, and you think it might be funny to stick around and watch the show, remember that the Spouse Aggro you get when crawling into bed at 5am on a work-day is very seldom worth it.

I liked it when my Rogue came over to my house to play DDO. It meant anytime he wasn't doing what I wanted him to, I could stand up, walk five feet, and hit him until the problem was "solved".

Yes, comedy gold. A lot of people do just fine in the 6-man quests, but it seems when you swap to a raid atmosphere, they just get overwhelmed or something. Especially on these low-level raids, such as VoN, which *can* require some cooperation.

Edit - nm, it wasn't the same LFM.

Good story though, perhaps I'll throw up a beginners von5 LFM today. It seems like not enough people know von5, and everyone should just ss they can help contribute.

Default Hehe

I bet our LFM said something along those lines. In my inexperience, the most helpful thing I would like to see for RAID's (or for any quest's for that matter) is a quick and dirty cheat sheet on what NOT to do. (For instance, don't hit the fascinated MOB's in VON6, Don't Kill one of the Dragon/Giant duo's unless the other is also near death in Gianthold TOR).

I find not doing something you are supposed to, can annoy people in a PUG. Doing somthing you shouldn't do ENRAGES them.
    Last edited by ddohombre; 06-18-2011 at 02:41 PM.

I used to join "want to learn VoN5" runs, and would guide and explain each part. It was enjoyable up to a point, and it's good for the game to have more people know how VoN5, ADQ1, and the Twilight Forge work.

I stopped after a certain guild decided they were going to take advantage of it, and spend their entire time yakking in their private Vent or cracking extremely vulgar jokes over in-game voice, ignoring party chat, and piking. When we FINALLY got to 6, their cleric summoned a pet about 10 seconds after I finished explaining what to do with the pillars, and then didn't listen when we asked him to remain at home so the pet didn't screw up the bases. This also totally messed up the bard (PUG, not the guild leading it) learning how to fascinate.

+rep for point C.
    The bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to keep me tame.
    Thelanis
    Toons: Diclonius, Sempresno, Slitmuno, Slitmdos, Slitmtres, Skyfe, Calcatrix, Marcosias, Sumona, Tarokian, Etc.

this needs to be moved to khyber :[, weve had no drama of late
    adversity is something we face every day - for a true test, give someone power

Quote Originally Posted by stille_nacht View Post
    Click the arrow for Intro to Multiclassing
    Quote Originally Posted by stille_nacht View Post
    Frugal Pack Buying Guide

LOL, thanks for the rep. I consider it the silver lining to the cloud that IS "Wife aggro".

Quote Originally Posted by sirdanile View Post
    +rep for point C.

what is "f-bomb"?

Quote Originally Posted by chester99 View Post
    what is "f-bomb"?
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ClusterFBomb

There are a few other varieties listed there for your entertainment, but the OP's post was a Cluster F Bomb.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

what is "f-bomb"?
    Google it, or Samuel Jackson, take your pick on your way to bed.

what is "f-bomb"?
    You are f-bomb
    Alexandria: ~TR~ Barb, cap. Elzibith: Barb, lvl 15. Luaidhean: Casting Cleric, cap. Premika: Battle FvS, cap. Siobhann: Battle Bard, cap. Temperrance: ~TR~ Monk, lvl 18. Treaka: ~TR~ Arti, lvl 13. Venngeance: DPS Ranger, cap. Yzabelle: ~TR~ Sorc, lvl 16
    The Sabbat, Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by ddohombre View Post
    Toughguy 2 then screams shrilly, as shrilly as an f-bomb dropping surfer hippy can scream....
    We had one one of these eGuidos® in a VoN 5 the other day, and about half way through the raid, he is in his third really long verbal tirade, all sounding like Keanu Reeves having a Mel Gibson style breakdown, when one of the women in the group, cuts him off mid sentence, and says "shut up Chad!!!"

/crickets chirping for 30 seconds....dead silence.

Now I assumed she knew him and had called him by his first name. Nay - after the silence, he calmly (well alot more calm than he has been so far anyhow) asks..."woah, how did you know my name is Chad?"

/hilarity ensues.

There is no defense against a cacophony of laughter. None.

Every time we asked him to do something afterward, we called him Chad rather than his characters name. He took it all in stride and stopped being an eGuido® for the most part.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

This reminds me of a time when I had no speakers and the leader assigned me to crystal duty. (We had three other Arcanes)
    When I joined - I typed out I didn't have speakers, no comment. So I figured I was fine.

Ahh. After a couple of fails, one of the other arcanes finally take up the Crystal.

After the raid, I got some nasty tells telling me I was squelched. o.o
    Oh my.
    Samurai Pizza Cats
    Pewf - Koeta

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    We had one one of these eGuidos® in a VoN 5 the other day, and about half way through the raid, he is in his third really long verbal tirade, all sounding like Keanu Reeves having a Mel Gibson style breakdown, when one of the women in the group, cuts him off mid sentence, and says "shut up Chad!!!"

/crickets chirping for 30 seconds....dead silence.

Now I assumed she knew him and had called him by his first name. Nay - after the silence, he calmly (well alot more calm than he has been so far anyhow) asks..."woah, how did you know my name is Chad?"

/hilarity ensues.

There is no defense against a cacophony of laughter. None.

Every time we asked him to do something afterward, we called him Chad rather than his characters name. He took it all in stride and stopped being an eGuido® for the most part.
    This is funny.

Does make me wonder if A. Either a guildie knew him, and she was complaining in guild chat, or B. He put his name on his MyDDO page, forgot because we all do that when we first make our MyDDO page, and then she looked him up for some reason (maybe to squelch his alts, too? XD).