Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default past life magic missiles...

should be blocked by night shield.

just sayin'.

I recently capped my completionist in progress on his sorc life (who has wizard past life), the manner in which you can go back and forth between meteor swarm and magic missiles and kill virtually everyone (or most of the time just 1 shot with magic missiles), its just ludicrous.
    Proud member of Renowned, Thelanis server.

It's a feat. It's only viable *because* it bypasses Nightshield. It is WAI. It doesn't bypass Pale Lavender Ioun Stone.

This is like requesting to nerf Heat Death. There are ways around it. Nothing in PvP should be changed. Ever.

Aww dont nerf ma missiles!
    >P E S T I L E N C E<
    >T H E L A N I S<

MADE - NITROUS - PSYCOTIK - MAYAJI - BLINDFOLD - RAGNAROKS - UUBER - EPICFARMING - HEYY

Community Member fluffybunnywilson's Avatar

They also shouldn't work when a beholder is staring at you, but my Wizard isn't going to complain too loudly about that either.

Community Member

nerfing force spell .... meh

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybunnywilson View Post
    They also shouldn't work when a beholder is staring at you, but my Wizard isn't going to complain too loudly about that either.
    why would people ever complain about something that benefits them? especially when it comes to fighting beholders...

but yeah. night shield should block it.
    Last edited by protokon; 06-14-2011 at 10:34 PM.
    Proud member of Renowned, Thelanis server.

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybunnywilson View Post
    just a little info on the mechanics of D&D:

Spell-Like Abilities such as the Wiz PL feat MM are not actually magical in nature, they are innate abillities to the Character, and as such are immune to Anti-Magic effects.
    The Funniest Thing I've Ever Read
    Toons: Twengor (pal), Margween (Bard/FTR/Rogue), Nestrana (wiz), Ammerlyn (Arti), Ostarin (Monk) on Cannith

Community Member hityawithastick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus451 View Post

Spell-Like Abilities such as the Wiz PL feat MM are not actually magical in nature, they are innate abillities to the Character, and as such are immune to Anti-Magic effects.
    This is also why pale masters, archmages, and savants laugh at beholders. A solid few SLA strikes and problem solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Dragons cant be vorped.
    Wait! Where are you going? Come back here and die for my fleeting tactical advantage!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcTharin View Post
    Hityawithastick, the super-naked dragon-slayer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispel View Post
    It's a feat. It's only viable *because* it bypasses Nightshield. It is WAI. It doesn't bypass Pale Lavender Ioun Stone.

This is like requesting to nerf Heat Death. There are ways around it. Nothing in PvP should be changed. Ever.
    Pretty sure the +1 to all DCs makes the feat "viable"?

Really?

from the compendium:
    You recall more about your past life as a wizard. You have +1 to the DC's of spells you cast and can cast the magic missile spell ten times per rest, creating a missile of magical energy that darts forth and unerringly strikes its target inflicting 1d4+1 force damage. For every 2 caster levels beyond first you gain an additional missile, maximum 10 missiles.

hmmm... seems like it's a magic missile spell to me, and is magical in nature.
    Ghallanda: Neatoelf15wiz/1rgr, Neetoelf17wiz, NeatoManhuman13rog/6pal/1mnk, NeatoHombrehuman12ftr/6pal/2rog, Kneetoedwarf17clr, Kneedoughdrow18clr/2mnk

Minimize expectations and you'll never be disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by krud View Post
    Really?

from the compendium:
    You recall more about your past life as a wizard. You have +1 to the DC's of spells you cast and can cast the magic missile spell ten times per rest, creating a missile of magical energy that darts forth and unerringly strikes its target inflicting 1d4+1 force damage. For every 2 caster levels beyond first you gain an additional missile, maximum 10 missiles.

hmmm... seems like it's a magic missile spell to me, and is magical in nature.
    if that were true, you would need a blue bar to cast it and it would cost mana, and it does not.
    you could be a Barb with this PL and still cast it
    Toons: Twengor (pal), Margween (Bard/FTR/Rogue), Nestrana (wiz), Ammerlyn (Arti), Ostarin (Monk) on Cannith

if that were true, you would need a blue bar to cast it and it would cost mana, and it does not.
    you could be a Barb with this PL and still cast it
    what about item clickies, wands, etc? they don't either, yet they count as spells. I don't know any other way "cast the magic missile spell" can be interpreted.
    Ghallanda: Neatoelf15wiz/1rgr, Neetoelf17wiz, NeatoManhuman13rog/6pal/1mnk, NeatoHombrehuman12ftr/6pal/2rog, Kneetoedwarf17clr, Kneedoughdrow18clr/2mnk

Quote Originally Posted by DrNuegebauer View Post
    Pretty sure the +1 to all DCs makes the feat "viable"?
    barely anyone even cares about the MM except for lowbie quests :P
    adversity is something we face every day - for a true test, give someone power

Quote Originally Posted by stille_nacht View Post
    Click the arrow for Intro to Multiclassing
    Quote Originally Posted by stille_nacht View Post
    Frugal Pack Buying Guide

as per Core D&D 3.5 rules, SLAs are NOT spells, and thus are not effected by Anti-magic effects. They are abilities that mimic spells, hence the name spell LIKE ability.

wands, scrolls, and clickies dont mimic spells, they cast spells, and are thus effected.

as per Core D&D 3.5 rules, SLAs are NOT spells, and thus are not effected by Anti-magic effects. They are abilities that mimic spells, hence the name spell LIKE ability.

wands, scrolls, and clickies dont mimic spells, they cast spells, and are thus effected.
    Then why do my elven displacement DMs get dispelled by beholder anti-magic fields? Are DMs not SLAs? I guess it's just lazy programming to get everything working/documented correctly.

Actually, this is completely incorrect.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbi...lLikeAbilities
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Actually they do count as spells. You might be confusing them with supernatural abilities, not that it would matter since anti-magic fields work on those too.
    Chaotic evil means never having to say you're sorry.

And this, also incorrect.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbi...lLikeAbilities

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Using a spell-like ability while threatened provokes attacks of opportunity. It is possible to make a Concentration check to use a spell-like ability defensively and avoid provoking an attack of opportunity. A spell-like ability can be disrupted just as a spell can be. Spell-like abilities are subject to spell resistance and to being dispelled by dispel magic. They do not function in areas where magic is suppressed or negated.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by heyytoi View Post
    Aww dont nerf ma missiles!
    I know how else would you possibly win then?

Quote Originally Posted by Beeeeeaner View Post
    I know how else would you possibly win then?
    Probably with another spell... only god knows
    Last edited by heyytoi; 07-27-2011 at 11:04 PM.
    >P E S T I L E N C E<
    >T H E L A N I S<

MADE - NITROUS - PSYCOTIK - MAYAJI - BLINDFOLD - RAGNAROKS - UUBER - EPICFARMING - HEYY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast