Community Member

Default Feats for a Staff Acrobat?

I've got a 13 rog/6 fig/1 barb that's approaching cap and I'm rethinking his feats. He's built for save-based durability and takes Paladin Dilettante as well as Force of Personality (which I'm open to switching though it's currently an effective +4 to will saves and could go higher if I ever have to unslot my +6 wis item).

I have a total of 11 feats on this build. I consider WF/WSpec Bludgeoning to be a given (Kensei req's and worthwhile on their own), THF/iTHF/gTHF, PA, and Toughness are also givens. I wouldn't want to drop stunning blow or iCrit Bludgeoning either one. That leaves 2 feats left to play with.

Right now I'm carrying Force of Personality and get another feat next level. I was going to take Quick Draw but I know that cleave and great cleave have been fixed. Also, as a half elf I've got a lot of choices as far as social skills, especially if I do an LR to fit in both Diplo AND Bluff. Seems like on crowds diplo's and bluff's interspersed with cleaves and great cleaves would be highly effective. I love the outstanding Will Save but honestly my charisma is at 22 and probably won't sneak much higher than 24 in combat gear. Meanwhile the floor for my wisdom once I use a +2 tome will be 16 w/ a wis item (I currently wear the Sora Kell set so that's part of my current gear setup) so we're talking 3-4 points of will save.

So what feats make the most sense here? Both cleave feats? Quick Draw/Cleave? Something else entirely?

Have you browsed thru this thread yet?:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=158960

It has blossomed from a stick build thread, to discussion about pretty much everything stick related.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Seems like you're on the right track. I would do either quick draw/cleave, or cleave/great cleave.

My acrobat doesn't have this dilemma since I have a monk lvl instead of barb lvl, so get an extra feat to solve the issue.

Basically it comes down to this:

1- Do you switch weapons during combat a lot, as well as use action boosts frequently?
    2- If yes to 1, then is great cleave a better investment than quick draw utility/dps-wise?

If 1 is no, then go with cleave/great cleave. I can't really say what the answer to 2 is.
    Khyber: Runforr 13/6/1 Rog/Ftr/Mnk, Bakup 3/3/1 Mnk/Pal/Rog (TR Pal), Faylah 14 Mnk (TR Mnk), Janthyra 12/7/1 Brb/Rog/Ftr, Ainbthech 20 Sor, Fliethas 18/2 Fvs/Mnk, Unfilled 12/6/2 Mnk/Rgr/Ftr, Arcanemark 10 Wiz "Don't eat us dragon! We're like you, but smaller. And fly worse." - Kobold Crewman on the Heart of Wind

Community Member

I don't swap weapons much in-combat. I'm far too active moving from mob to mob to swap and tend to fit my weapon to my group role (stunning/cc via paralyzation/dps) rather than the flow of the fight. I use boosts a lot but that said I'm pretty good at realizing when I want the boost and triggering both of them (haste and human versatility damage boosts, triggered together to only incur one cooldown). Sounds like Cleave/Great Cleave's damage increase trumps the decent boost to will save now that they don't break the attack chain.

I really hate this but I feel like I need to do an LR...not having bluff really stinks, ESPECIALLY on a Half Elf where I get an extra click of it.

Oh, and great reading in the thread. Especially on the weapon selection stuff. I'd seen it before but it's been months.

Personally I went with CE, Improved Trip, and SAP on my rogue. But since you only have two feats to work with I'd probably take CE and Improved Trip. On a strength build improved trip works very well and a monster on his butt can't hurt ya! A list of all of the feats I went with is posted in my build linked to my signature. I went 13Rogue/6Ftr/1 Monk however so I have an extra feat you don't.

Thief Acrobat
    Last edited by Vengenance; 06-17-2011 at 03:24 PM.
    Charater Names: Jeryle, Jerforged, Gerforged, Raybur, Rayber, Raibur, Marreth, Merreth
    Classes Played: Thief Acrobat, Ftr, Barbarian, Cleric, FVS, Caster, Bard, & Monk
    Member of Synergia

Quote Originally Posted by Vengenance View Post
    Personally I went with CE, Improved Trip, and SAP on my rogue. But since you only have two feats to work with I'd probably take CE and Improved Trip. On a strength build improved trip works very well and a monster on his butt can't hurt ya! A list of all of the feats I went with is posted in my build linked to my signature. I went 13Rogue/6Ftr/1 Monk however so I have an extra feat you don't.

Thief Acrobat
    how well does sap work with a THF build? does it sap multiple targets? does the glancing blow strike the target after the sap?

Community Member

Hrm...now you guys have me really wondering about things for both my rogues. I went the Cleave/Great Cleave route I mentioned and have been LOVING it. I mean absolutely loving it. CE + Improved Feint though...that's like 2 seconds of non-sneak attack out of every 8. That's pretty darned good. If it was 1 feat I'd take it in a heartbeat but 2's a bit harder to justify on either this toon or the black lotus I'm leveling up. Big thanks there for bringing that feat up though!

As for the other tactics brought up, Sap doesn't fit quite as well to my play style. I tend to be a bit more zergy than that, though once the Black Lotus gets assassinate I might have to rethink that a bit. Improved Trip I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to hit a high enough DC to make it consistently worthwhile.

Too many cool feats, not enough space to take them!

personally i think 6 barb/ 1 ftr adds more to a stick build :/, mostly because sticks have horrible crit range, and you're going to be thf the whole time :O
    adversity is something we face every day - for a true test, give someone power

Quote Originally Posted by stille_nacht View Post
    Click the arrow for Intro to Multiclassing
    Quote Originally Posted by stille_nacht View Post
    Frugal Pack Buying Guide

All acrobats should have big feats cuz then they're harder to tip over.

for a stick build i like power attack, cleave, and great cleave. sneak attack AOE, yes please.

The feats I have on my 13/6/1, in no particular order:

Power Attack
    THF
    ITHF
    GTHF
    Imp Crit: Blud
    Quick Draw
    Toughness
    Weapon Focus: Blud
    Weapon Specialization: Blud
    Stunning Blow (If you're into that sorta thing...)
    Skill Focus: UMD (Optional, but very useful)
    Toughness again. (Irrelevant for you; I have more feats!).

Cheers,
    Kernal

Quote Originally Posted by Jaid314 View Post
    how well does sap work with a THF build? does it sap multiple targets? does the glancing blow strike the target after the sap?
    I'm not saying it doesn't, but I haven't noticed that it does. I typically go into a fight holding my vertigo staff, trip the first mob, sap the next mob furthest away, switch to my weighted staff and then stun the next mob.

If I fail the trip, which doesn't happen that often except in Epic I immedietly SAP, swtch to stunning and go for stun on next mob, if I miss that my trip is usually close to being off timer for second go wit it.
    Charater Names: Jeryle, Jerforged, Gerforged, Raybur, Rayber, Raibur, Marreth, Merreth
    Classes Played: Thief Acrobat, Ftr, Barbarian, Cleric, FVS, Caster, Bard, & Monk
    Member of Synergia