Default A modicum of respect for buyers and sellers please

Up until recently I've done a fair bit of trading through the marketplace forums, both buying and selling. However, recently I have found this process to be exceptionally frustrating.

Buyers that consistently make offers well below the sellers explicitly stated asking price, buyers that contact you and then never show up to make the trade, sellers that don't respond to messages, sellers that sell an item they already agreed to sell to another. Buyers and sellers both harassing each other and other marketplace users. It's gotten to the point now where I just don't want to use the marketplace, unless it's with someone I know and have dealt with before. I know a good friend of mine refuses to use it after too many bad experiences, and has asked me to do his trading for him.

This is bad for business, for both buyers and sellers. Keeping our market a welcome place will mean that more of us end up getting what we need. In order to foster better business amongst all parties, I would like to request that Ghallanda folks start showing a little more respect for their fellow traders, and understand that it can be a frustrating process for all involved. In this respect, I have a few small suggestions.

Sellers:

1. Respond to messages (well, to polite messages). If an item is already sold, tell other potential buyers. Don't leave them hanging. Don't have them waste their time constantly checking to find out if you're online when the item is already gone. If their offer is not what you're looking for, tell them, and suggest an alternative deal. Not responding to an honest request to do business is exceptionally rude, and will make people not want to trade with you.

2. If you put something up for auction style sale with a set end date, stick to that end date. Some people aren't online 24/7, or some people see a post, and see that they have a day or two to make an offer, so they want to take time to assess their inventory and see what they can afford to pay, or they want to determine the items value by talking to guildies. If you make a claim in your post, stick to it.

3. If you have multiple people offer to buy an item, select one (probably the first, but whatever mechanism you want to use) and try to set up arrangements with them. Tell the other potential buyers that somebody else has already expressed interest but that you will let them know if it falls through. Don't tell 6 different people that you will trade with them. Twice in the past week I have received a response to an offer to make a purchase, indicating that I should contact them in game to make the trade. In both instances I was online within the hour, and both times was told the item was already gone. If you don't plan to sell to me, that's fine, but don't lead me on. I took time out of my personal life to go online to make those trades.

Buyers:

1. Stick to your offers. If you offer somebody X for their Y, don't decide a day later that you actually only want to offer Z. Some of the more courteous sellers will actually stick to their commitments, so when you offer to buy their item they may turn down other offers. When you back out you waste the sellers time, and possible also cost them a trade if they have turned down other offers.

2. Respond in a timely fashion. If you agree to make a trade, contact them in game as soon as you can, or at least let them know when you will be online. Don't drag it out for days, as again, a courteous seller may have turned down other offers in order to trade with you.

3. If a seller indicates their asking price, don't send them ridiculous offers. If you have another item you wish to trade that you think is the same value as their asking price, that's fine, but don't offer 3 large bones when somebody is asking for a flawless red.

Finally, buyers and sellers both. Don't state in one post that you are buying X for 2 scales, and then in another post that you are selling X for 4 scales. This is just downright offensive, and those of us that read the forums regularly will easily see what's going on.

I hope this post doesn't sound too preachy, I just want to have a friendly trading environment where we can all make fair deals Showing your fellow traders the smallest amount of respect will make it better for all of us. Just remember to treat your buyers and sellers the way you would want them to treat you.

/end rant
    ~ Cheara : Raizertron : Pozitron : Higgz Bowtron : Illudium : Staphe Infection : Abraa Capocus ~
    Nooby McNoobsalot
    Ghallanda Rerolled

Quote Originally Posted by Chette View Post

Buyers:

3. If a seller indicates their asking price, don't send them ridiculous offers. If you have another item you wish to trade that you think is the same value as their asking price, that's fine, but don't offer 3 large bones when somebody is asking for a flawless red.

/end rant
    Don't and can't agree with this one. What someone may consider a ridiculous offer might be the real worth of an item. Too many people think that items are worth something because they heard about a friend of a friend's cousin's mother's aunt's son's dog making a trade just like the one I'm trying to make.

Likewise, not everyone knows what values the general population is valuing items or how fast it can change. On Argo, between the people that I tend to trade with, 1 FRDS = 2 LDS but does EVERYONE on Argo know that or accept that as the correct value? Personally, I think that 1 FRDS = 1 LDS and I've been able to make that trade, but generally if you want to make a super fast trade then you go with the 1 FRDS = 2 LDS.

So you have to be very careful when a trade is proposed or an offer is made to make sure which one is the ridiculous one.
    Characters - Brion, Damerchant, Deathbot, Goode-, Minusten, Sepiriz, Spiritstrike, Stee, Steilh, Vorpaal, Wyllye, Yaga, Yagalicious, Yga. RIP - Catpizzle and Qazpe
    Beware My Gifts!!!

Point taken. I suppose I was more referring to things that are clearly ridiculous, when a seller has indicated what they are asking for. Like somebody who says they are selling a scroll for 6 reds and somebody PMs them saying they'll give them 2. If they think it's not worth 6 reds, then they don't have to buy it, but in general I think one should respect a sellers asking price. If it's too high, they won't get any offers and will need to lower it. You are right though, sometimes an items value isn't clear. Courteous offers, accompanied by an explanation of why somebody thinks it is a fair trade, are always welcome.
    ~ Cheara : Raizertron : Pozitron : Higgz Bowtron : Illudium : Staphe Infection : Abraa Capocus ~
    Nooby McNoobsalot
    Ghallanda Rerolled

Hmmm... TBH if you wanna sell summing for lets say 1mill Plat and I want to offer 100 Plat with maybe a Tasty Ham for good measure, then surely that's up to me. No one is asking you to accept it or even acknowledge it, but bottom line is I will offer what I feel it's worth not the other way round.
    The reason I don't tend to use this facility or the AH for buying things is simply because many of the asking prices are a joke to start with... so you could in fact turn this argument right on its head and ask sellers to not waste players times...

Therefore IMHO the marketplace economy is in fact crying out for both sides of this argument to be more resp[ectful.

Now... my list of quality items today include..
    100 Prayer Beads..... 500k Plat
    +1 Rubber Pitchfork of Bendyness .... 2,000,000 Plat

Offers Please.......

Proud Leader of the Misfits & Mercenaries Guild on Ghallanda, Thelanis & Orien.
    Veteran DDO:EU BETA player - The original Misift, long since Chaos hardened - Now busy burning a new path to glory over on the flipside!

No need to such Drama mate, make a offer, refuse a offer, dont mind a offer - keep on questing. I trade a lot both using the trade channel and even more the forum and if a deal I "made" doesn't gets completed (for whatever reason), I just move on, I never stop questing to wait for someone to complete a trade or whatever.

I like trading and the thing that I enjoy in it is the negotiation part, is bartering for something. If I make a offer and the one trading doesnt respond, I assume he doesnt liked the offer (or whatever other reason) and I move on. If someone contacts me here in the forum for a trade, I look for him/her online when I log and ill contact him/her, if she doesnt reply, Ill move on, no need for rules or a trade moderator, just take it lightly, this aint NASDAQ
    WARSWORDS
    Blackmoors (Pale Master) | Bloodrake (Defender of Siberys) | Darckmoor (Angel of Vengeance) | Doulbelades (Berserker) | Thayed (Warchanter)
    [TRADE LIST]

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmoors View Post
    No need to such Drama mate, make a offer, refuse a offer, dont mind a offer - keep on questing. I trade a lot both using the trade channel and even more the forum and if a deal I "made" doesn't gets completed (for whatever reason), I just move on, I never stop questing to wait for someone to complete a trade or whatever.

I like trading and the thing that I enjoy in it is the negotiation part, is bartering for something. If I make a offer and the one trading doesnt respond, I assume he doesnt liked the offer (or whatever other reason) and I move on. If someone contacts me here in the forum for a trade, I look for him/her online when I log and ill contact him/her, if she doesnt reply, Ill move on, no need for rules or a trade moderator, just take it lightly, this aint NASDAQ

^THIS

oops... think someone even objected to replying this way the other day...so

^ /AMEN

Proud Leader of the Misfits & Mercenaries Guild on Ghallanda, Thelanis & Orien.
    Veteran DDO:EU BETA player - The original Misift, long since Chaos hardened - Now busy burning a new path to glory over on the flipside!

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Point taken. I suppose I was more referring to things that are clearly ridiculous, when a seller has indicated what they are asking for. Like somebody who says they are selling a scroll for 6 reds and somebody PMs them saying they'll give them 2. If they think it's not worth 6 reds, then they don't have to buy it, but in general I think one should respect a sellers asking price. If it's too high, they won't get any offers and will need to lower it. You are right though, sometimes an items value isn't clear. Courteous offers, accompanied by an explanation of why somebody thinks it is a fair trade, are always welcome.
    Its called haggling.
    -6LDS
    -I can pay 2
    -OK, 5
    -4, my last offer
    -Deal.

Many people know in advance that others will try to negotiate price, even if its very low from the begging, and thats why they demant more than they want at start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

So you want people to show some manners and consideration and stick to their word?

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    Its called haggling.
    -6LDS
    -I can pay 2
    -OK, 5
    -4, my last offer
    -Deal.

Many people know in advance that others will try to negotiate price, even if its very low from the begging, and thats why they demant more than they want at start.
    i is this when they state prices are negotiable? sometimes they do say prices non negotiable prob meaning this is their minimum.

Community Member

My favorite experience is I was buying something from someone for an agreed upon price, but after agreeing to sell it, he continued asking for offers for more on general chat and trade chat (like I didn't notice). Then he never showed up to where we were supposed to meet. I sent him another tell politely and he continued to string me along saying he would sell it to me no problem and asking where I was. He claimed he was there, so I checked all instances and realised he wasn't there. I invited him to party, he declined and continued to spam general and trade for more. I began spamming trade and general saying not to trade with him because he goes back on deals and then he sends me a tell saying, "why are you saying that?" I logged off after that and put him on my do not party with list.

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    So you want people to show some manners and consideration and stick to their word?
    That's pretty much it, yes

Haggling is fine, I do that too, but be respectful. Provide some reasoning for why you think it's worth A instead of B, and you're more likely to complete a trade.

This is simply a request for people to show some common courtesy, nothing more, nothing less. Perhaps I ask too much.
    Nooby McNoobsalot
    Ghallanda Rerolled

That's pretty much it, yes

Haggling is fine, I do that too, but be respectful. Provide some reasoning for why you think it's worth A instead of B, and you're more likely to complete a trade.

This is simply a request for people to show some common courtesy, nothing more, nothing less. Perhaps I ask too much.
    Ofc mate, I agree that people should be considerate of others at all times, show courtesy and be polite, what I was saying thou is dont get fussed about it when people arent! If people are questing/behaving/trading in a manner that you dont like, just ignore them and move along - at least is what I do and saves me a lot of problems. If people dont know how to behave or conduct themselves, I aint gonna be the one to tell them
    WARSWORDS
    Blackmoors (Pale Master) | Bloodrake (Defender of Siberys) | Darckmoor (Angel of Vengeance) | Doulbelades (Berserker) | Thayed (Warchanter)
    [TRADE LIST]