Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default You can upgrade a Cannith crafted item without deconstructing!

steelblueskies just posted that you can overwrite shards on existing crafted items to upgrade one part of the item without deconstructing the whole thing first. Please rep the linked post if you didn't already know this; I know I didn't, and for me this is a game-changer.

In the Options panel under Gameplay, there is a new checkbox, "Disable Crafting Overwrite Messages," that is unchecked by default. The description of this option is as follows:

If checked, the crafting item effect overwrite message will not display when you apply an effect that replaces an existing one, such as when a new prefix effect gets applied and the old one is 'overwritten' and replaced.

I haven't actually tested it yet; I immediately created this thread to shout this revelation to the mountaintops. heh. But the description of it clearly states you can overwrite shards, which rules.

Community Member bradleyforrest's Avatar

I just tested this myself with a couple low level prefixes and I can confirm that this does work. Thanks for bringing it to our attention

Dear EllisDee37 and steelblueskies,

THANK YOU!

now curious, can u upgrade the shard of potential on crafted items mid crafting?(like if u need a higher crafting + level, can u upgrade it without wiping the item?)

Quote Originally Posted by AMDarkwolf View Post
    now curious, can u upgrade the shard of potential on crafted items mid crafting?(like if u need a higher crafting + level, can u upgrade it without wiping the item?)
    Yep, you sure can.

Wow.

Worked for me. I swapped a few shards on some weps that got obsolete well levelling. Props to him for finding this and props to you for reposting it.

+1 to both of ya . thanks man. saved us all some time posting this
    Born to play, Forced to work !

Community Member

Yeah figured that one out a short while ago when I made a weapon, had it's ml go too high, disjuncted it again to start over and had a crafting blank with a too high ml( adding shards corrected the ml btw).
    Was thinking there's got to be a better way, and found that by chance. Make note and take care however: sometimes the ml requirement gets fubar( don't overwrite same prefix as is already in place, ditto suffix, sometimes it bugs the ml straight to 20. Overwriting with alternate prefix suffix seems to recalc the ml when it does. And it's inconsistent to reproduce.).

Hmm, very useful found. I didn't even realize that there's such a option on gameplay.. Anyway, +1 for you :-)
    [ Fernia / Ghallanda ]
    -- Role of the Combat Cleric : We fight for our party's survival --

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Yep, you sure can.
    Thank you so much for this!

I remember making my +3 holysilver lob weapons and forgetting to us shards of potential first.....ugh.
    Smrti///Warcrye///Dukkha///Nomey///Dhaarmika///Smrtiheals
    Focused Melee Discussion as of U17
    Proud Gimp of Crimson Eagles and now Loreseekers!

Crazy how we all start to go with some assumptions and then assume it's fact. Awesome news, I've wasted a fair few shards playing around already.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Yep, you sure can.
    Unfortunately, you still can't disjunction pre- 9.1 items that have more than +5 potential of enchantments.

Quote Originally Posted by Junts View Post
    Unfortunately, you still can't disjunction pre- 9.1 items that have more than +5 potential of enchantments.
    Yep, unfortunately that's a permanent bug with no fix; a sacrifice on the altar of Beta.

Community Member

yea thats the first thing i tried too getting silver kopeshes.. getting really hard

Community Member fluffybunnywilson's Avatar

I did notice one issue with "cross-grading". The crafting altar assumes that you will be adding the shard to the existing item and it demands a high enough potential on that weapon to allow you to make the change.

That means starting with a +4 Holy of Lawful Outsider Bane (+8 total) and changing to a +4 Holy of Evil Outsider Bane will require you to upgrade the potential of the weapon to +10 so that you can "add" the Evil Outsider Bane in addition to the Lawful Outsider Bane. Even though the Lawful Outsider Bane will go away in the process. The end result will still be +8 at the end even though it requires +10 potential to make the change

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybunnywilson View Post
    I did notice one issue with "cross-grading". The crafting altar assumes that you will be adding the shard to the existing item and it demands a high enough potential on that weapon to allow you to make the change.

That means starting with a +4 Holy of Lawful Outsider Bane (+8 total) and changing to a +4 Holy of Evil Outsider Bane will require you to upgrade the potential of the weapon to +10 so that you can "add" the Evil Outsider Bane in addition to the Lawful Outsider Bane. Even though the Lawful Outsider Bane will go away in the process. The end result will still be +8 at the end even though it requires +10 potential to make the change
    Hmmm, interesting. So I guess add fire touch or some other +1 ability to "clear" out whatever was there and then add the real one.

The net effect is that upgrading requires an extra 1 potential, which seems a reasonable fee for upgrading. It also means that +12 weapons are particularly uber since they have to be made from scratch.

Has anyone tried replacing an enhancement bonus this way? For example, if you check the box to overwrite, can you replace the +1 you put on a blank with a +2? If you can do this, that would make this an even more awesome find!

Hmmm, interesting. So I guess add fire touch or some other +1 ability to "clear" out whatever was there and then add the real one.
    By the time you add an additional level of potential, create a dummy +1 shard, and then add the shard you actually want, this process doesn't save a lot of ingredients.

For instance, the cost of going from bound +7 to bound +8 is 175 lesser essences, which is the same as going from +5 to +7. This process will really only be useful for replacing an effect on an item which has a very high level, expensive prefix or suffix.

Anyone test if you can downgrade an item?

I miscalculated my ML in a brain fart and am 2 levels higher than my toon on my weapon. WOuld be cool to remove the +2 and put on a +1 so I could use it.
    April 27th, 2011 - Dungeons and Casters Unlimited is released to the public
    This is an impressive min/min build.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dingal View Post
    Anyone test if you can downgrade an item?

I miscalculated my ML in a brain fart and am 2 levels higher than my toon on my weapon. WOuld be cool to remove the +2 and put on a +1 so I could use it.
    Did you brain far or did it screw up MLs on you? Wrong ML being applied is a known issue.

I had the problem that someone above described - the minimum level got too high.

I had a +4 holy lawful outsider bane that I was trying to make +4 holy burst greater lawful outsider bane. When I put on the holy burst shard, it just stacked the minimum level on top, making the item level 19 +4 holy burst lawful outsider bane, and not letting me put the greater on.
    Fanarchy - Fanatik - Fanfare - Fanda Bear - Fantta Squirt - Fanttom of the Roq Opera
    Co-Leader, Ghallanda ReRolled (GRR)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast