Default On this day 67 years ago....

.... more than 10 000 men from all over the world died for our freedom on the beaches of Normandy. Do not let them be forgotten

/bow

Driving the Clown car in the skies above Sarlona!

Thumbs up

/salute
    Castagir (completionist), leader of the Fighting Clowns of Sarlona. Other alts: Modric, Modrich, Kristna and others. http://fightingclownsofsarlona.webs.com/

A big thank you to all the people who defend our country, past and present.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCalico View Post
    1) Saves don't stop MM to the face and neither does AC.

/signed

I for one will never forget their sacrifice.

Thank you for this, Dragavon.

http://www.army.mil/d-day/
    Sarkiki - Orexis - Pallikaria - Epithymia - Musouka - Empnefsi | Cannith Server

+1 to you Sir too many forget all too quickly the sacrifices made for their freedom.

Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

the official home of LOLWUT
    and R.O.G.U.E !
    Pointless/Frivolous/Beguiling/Justanotha Waste of Time, Katzklaw, Pickt d'Locks & etc
    Q: how do you get me to appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question! XD

/Never forget!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    I just don't think it's right to make fun of DDO's NPCs. Infractions for everyone!

Founder & Build Synthesis Battlehawke's Avatar

Default Remember

They will always be remembered for their sacrifice.....
    The Best Server: Gallhanda

Looking for a great guild? Check Out Our Guild: http://www.oldtimersguild.com/vb/forum.php

Looking for some good builds to play? https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...for-Characters

I also found this Reagan's Pointe Du Hoc speech

Not to take away from the honors they deserve, but a nit to pick. Saying that 10000 died on D-Day isn't quite right, no matter which way you cut the figures. Let me quote from the British D-Day Museum web site. (http://www.ddaymuseum.co.uk)

“Casualties” refers to all losses suffered by the armed forces: killed, wounded, missing in action (meaning that their bodies were not found) and prisoners of war. There is no "official" casualty figure for D-Day. Under the circumstances, accurate record keeping was very difficult. For example, some troops who were listed as missing may actually have landed in the wrong place, and have rejoined their parent unit only later.

In April and May 1944, the Allied air forces lost nearly 12,000 men and over 2,000 aircraft in operations which paved the way for D-Day.

The Allied casualties figures for D-Day have generally been estimated at 10,000, including 2500 dead. Broken down by nationality, the usual D-Day casualty figures are approximately 2700 British, 946 Canadians, and 6603 Americans. However recent painstaking research by the US National D-Day Memorial Foundation has achieved a more accurate - and much higher - figure for the Allied personnel who were killed on D-Day. They have recorded the names of individual Allied personnel killed on 6 June 1944 in Operation Overlord, and so far they have verified 2499 American D-Day fatalities and 1915 from the other Allied nations, a total of 4414 dead (much higher than the traditional figure of 2500 dead). Further research may mean that these numbers will increase slightly in future. The details of this research will in due course be available on the Foundation's website at www.dday.org. This new research means that the casualty figures given for individual units in the next few paragraphs are no doubt inaccurate, and hopefully more accurate figures will one day be calculated.

Casualties on the British beaches were roughly 1000 on Gold Beach and the same number on Sword Beach. The remainder of the British losses were amongst the airborne troops: some 600 were killed or wounded, and 600 more were missing; 100 glider pilots also became casualties. The losses of 3rd Canadian Division at Juno Beach have been given as 340 killed, 574 wounded and 47 taken prisoner.

The breakdown of US casualties was 1465 dead, 3184 wounded, 1928 missing and 26 captured. Of the total US figure, 2499 casualties were from the US airborne troops (238 of them being deaths). The casualties at Utah Beach were relatively light: 197, including 60 missing. However, the US 1st and 29th Divisions together suffered around 2000 casualties at Omaha Beach.

The total German casualties on D-Day are not known, but are estimated as being between 4000 and 9000 men.

Naval losses for June 1944 included 24 warships and 35 merchantmen or auxiliaries sunk, and a further 120 vessels damaged.

Over 425,000 Allied and German troops were killed, wounded or went missing during the Battle of Normandy. This figure includes over 209,000 Allied casualties, with nearly 37,000 dead amongst the ground forces and a further 16,714 deaths amongst the Allied air forces. Of the Allied casualties, 83,045 were from 21st Army Group (British, Canadian and Polish ground forces), 125,847 from the US ground forces. The losses of the German forces during the Battle of Normandy can only be estimated. Roughly 200,000 German troops were killed or wounded. The Allies also captured 200,000 prisoners of war (not included in the 425,000 total, above). During the fighting around the Falaise Pocket (August 1944) alone, the Germans suffered losses of around 90,000, including prisoners.

Today, twenty-seven war cemeteries hold the remains of over 110,000 dead from both sides: 77,866 German, 9386 American, 17,769 British, 5002 Canadian and 650 Poles.

Between 15,000 and 20,000 French civilians were killed, mainly as a result of Allied bombing. Thousands more fled their homes to escape the fighting.
    signed,
    OCD Navy vet
    - Bahgs

Quote Originally Posted by katz View Post
    /salute

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

While I respect ordinary soldiers who fougth and died at war(s), (on whichever side of conflict) I think that war in general is too political subject to be discussed at a video game forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    While I respect ordinary soldiers who fougth and died at war(s), (on whichever side of conflict) I think that war in general is too political subject to be discussed at a video game forums.
    Then dont do it, and remove your post. Its one thing to discuss it, and another to show your respect for those that gave their lives in the past so that we can sit here and discuss a video game.

/bow and thank you again to all in the armed forces.
    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    Hate me if you want, as of right now I'm not letting anyone crack open the build for this. Nope no way. Nada. I need developers working on the expansion pack, and that only. Again, hate me all you want, but creating a whole new realm takes priority over a broken bag. This is pretty much true of a few of the other issues that crept in today also.

Dungeons and Dragons Online, has an in-game history of war. There are quest-lines based on wars like Lordsmarch chains, shavarath. War is apart of this game. If you don't like it, and if you respect hitler, this is not the place for you to post. From what I see is that you respect some of the horrendous people that caused and even suggested the atrocities of world war two. That's what I get from you saying you respect those on whichever side. It wasn't just commands, it was each soldier's choice in the matter to do what they did in the Camps, and you respect them...
    Last edited by Musouka; 06-06-2011 at 02:24 PM.

Hmmm... A simple Salute then go about your business would have sufficed.. you were'nt asked to discuss anything...

Nice touch Dragavon

/SALUTE

Proud Leader of the Misfits & Mercenaries Guild on Ghallanda, Thelanis & Orien.
    Veteran DDO:EU BETA player - The original Misift, long since Chaos hardened - Now busy burning a new path to glory over on the flipside!

Quote Originally Posted by Musouka View Post
    Dungeons and Dragons Online, has an in-game history of war. There are quest-lines based on wars like Lordsmarch chains, shavarath. War is apart of this game. If you don't like it, and if you respect hitler, this is not the place for you to post. From what I see is that you respect some of the horrendous people that caused and even suggested the atrocities of world war two. That's what I get from you saying you respect those on whichever side. It wasn't just commands, it was each soldier's choice in the matter to do what they did in the Camps, and you respect them...
    you sir are putting words and supposing meanings that just are not there. Cam_Neely quoted and replied to Vellrad appropriately, you haven't.

in game wars n whatnot do not "compare" or make such talks in this forum appropriate.

/salute
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    Insulting the development team is not allowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jendrak
    Somebody should definitely explain to Turbine that when they roll up a new GM that INT is not dump stat.

Quote Originally Posted by katz View Post
    /Salute

(Fmr Sgt. USMC)

In Honor of his service and Valor in Normandy,
    A Bronze statue is to be erected of Major Richard Winters of the 501st PIR.

May all the brave men and women who fought for freedom never
    And I say again NEVER be forgotten.

SEMPER FI!
    Official Muskateers Bartender
    Proud Officer of Acme Fighting Co.
    "It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, Frodo my boy." He used to say. "You step into the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." ~ Frodo Baggins (Quoting Bilbo Baggins)