Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: real-life stats

Community Member

Str-15, I can put 200 lbs over my head a few times.
    Int-14 or so I remember most things I read and can easily recall them at need.
    Wis-10 I do learn from my mistakes just not as fast as some.
    Dex-12 Don't fall over often and can do most manual tasks with ease.
    Con-10 I get majorly sick once a year, but I have allergies.
    Cha-12 Not bad looking and I can often convince others to do as I say, without resorting to the big stick method.

Of course all above data is subject to inflation when I can get away with it.

Str 12 because I qualify for OTWF.

Dex 18+ I recently stopped wearing my chain shirt in SCA fighting and have been benefiting from a noticeable difference in my dex bonus. This means my bonus must be better than +4, which would be 18, right?

Int 13 going by Sirgog's standard and IQ test from when I was a kid minus a couple for adult onset stupidity. Plus one point penalty for having to use a calculator for Sirgog's formula.

Con 14 I got into a lot of fistfights in my younger days and in the army which let me claim a high score based on beatings taken and lived through, but I'm taking an age penalty these days. My 3 year old lays me out with nut shots so clearly I ain't as tough as I used to be.

Wis 8 mostly because the whole Dire Mouse thing could have been solved a helluva lot earlier if I'd had the Wisdom score to just go get the shop vac, plus all those missed Spot checks.

Cha 8 because I'm not repulsive but I really can't bluff or diplo anyone.
    I am the natural one.
    "When life gives you excrement, make Excrement Golems."
    Disclaimer: My greenies come from comedy. I should not be confused with those who are knowledgeable and helpful.

Just remembering 9 is Average ability. While 18 is Maximum human ability.
    So think of Olympic level Weight lifters 18/00.
    Einstein and Stephen Hawking 18 int.
    Mother Teresa and the Pope 18 wisdom
    Olympic level gymnasts 18 dexterity
    Marathon Runner, Iron Competitors 18 constitution
    Heads of State, Cult Leaders 18 Cha.
    This is without any genetic or Drug enhancements which could allow for higher lol.
    “If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles" TsunTzu

A mobile construct citadel in the Mournland where I plot fleshling death.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    That IQ would correspond to a 16 Int. IQs are roughly normally distributed, with a mean of 100 and standard deviation of about 15. Ability scores (3d6 for non-heroic humans) are roughly normally distributed, mean 10.5, SD ~2.7.

So with an Int 2 standard deviations over the mean, you'd be a 10.5+5.4 = 15.9.

A conversion formula that takes statistics into account:

Int = (IQ-100)/5.6 + 10.5

Based on the IQ test I did as a ten year old, that would put me at a 19 or 20 Int. However, most people as adults have lower IQs than they did as children, so I'd say 17 or 18 is more likely. (Final school year results were 2.5 standard deviations above the mean).

My stats (quite a bit of 'ability damage' from a medium-term illness):

Str: 12 with 4 ability damage (so presently 8)
    Dex: 7
    Con: 12, 6 ability damage (so presently 6)
    Int: 17
    Wis: 9
    Cha: 14 (purely the 'Force of Personality' aspect of Charisma, not the 'Everyone likes me' aspect).

Maxxed skill points and Skill Focus in Knowledge: Mathematics, and a few skill points in other things.
    Your numbers are based off averages for heroes and adventurers. 3d6 is not normal for average humans (ie. NPCs)
    My Videos Shadow Mage (ok, it's a build now)
    A forum post should be like a skirt - long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting.
    Britches and Hose kidnapped my dog and are forcing him to farm Shroud ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by darkforest View Post
    That seems rather harsh a metric.

The jerking motion to lift the dumbbell to your shoulder level from foot/waist level is scary because you can easily get waist/shoulder injuries.

E.g., I can currently do military press 90 pounds per set of 10 repetitions. I may have the strength to do a single repetition at higher weights, but good luck getting the dumbbell off the ground, literally.

I don't even see the muscular persons in my gym do military presses, presumably for the above reason. The average untrained person may be able to do sets of 10 with 50-60 pounds dumbbell, but that doesn't match the strength numbers given by most here.
    I think it was the seated military press, and im guessing you would have a bench and spotter if necessary.
    “If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles" TsunTzu

Cool

6 foot 4 in real life. Out of 100 people in a room only one person may be taller. I am in the 99 percentile for height. 300 lbs. so here it goes:

Str 20
    dex 12
    con 18
    int 8
    wis 8
    cha 6

I am a Half-orc!

Ok, my real life stats:

STR: 16-17 There are stronger people at the gym, but not many.
    DEX: round 12 I have good reflexes, doing OK at volleyball and badminton but I am not very flexible. (Hate doing yoga and such)
    CON: 17-18 I am a 6 feet tall guy with a rather beefy frame. "Go climb a rock!" works fine for me, marching all day too. I cant remember when I was ill the last time and my fort save against alcohol is high.
    INT: 15-16 Using sirogs approach on my IQ-tests
    WIS: 8 There are several forms of wisdom and I got none of them. And my spot checks suck.
    CHA: 10 Normal, nothing special but not really bad either

Perhaps I choosed the wrong class, these are the terrible stats for a cleric.
    Last edited by Jiirix; 06-07-2011 at 02:39 AM.
    BowHealer - The "Healer with legendary CC"-project: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...h-legendary-CC
    The Dungeons and Dragons Webcomic THE ORDER OF THE STICK BY RICH BURLEW
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/ootscast.html

Str: 11 (a smidge above average strength for my gender)

Dex: 13 (fairly dexterous. My reflexes are relatively quick)

Con: 8 (somewhat below average. Almost always catch the seasonal sickness)

Int: 9 (I once had a discussion with a doorknob. Guess who won?)

Wis: 13 (if common sense is as uncommon as people say, then I suppose my wisdom is above average)

Cha: 8 (while I look fine, I'm about as charismatic as a bucket of turnips)

Race : human
    Class : commoner

...I guess it's time to get rid of my cat before the initiative gets rolled.

Giving in finally. Here are my best guesses using some of the metrics given in previous posts and taking into account aging since I'm over the third decade marker now, and adding in commentary for my reasoning.

STR - 15-16 - Going by the Max Press in 2nd edition I'd be an even 18, averaging between what I can press with my legs and what I can press with my arms, separately and individually (both needed for the actual max press test). I knock 2-3 points off because I'm sure my core muscles aren't nearly as strong and I'd probably have difficulty getting any more than 300 pounds at most above my head and walking a step or two, as per the description.

DEX - 17 - This is probably the one stat I never take for granted IRL. Years of martial arts, bow shooting and rock climbing have kept my dex score ridiculously high, much more so than anyone needs it to be, including myself. Working a normal job and starting a family right now, so I'm not as in practice as I have been for the last 20 years, but it hasn't degraded too much.

CON - 9 or 10 - I've always been sturdy and healthy until very recently. Dealing with a chronic disease now and had to have surgery last year because of it becoming nearly fatal. Ran out of Disease Removal pots and suffering from some Marks of Dolhurr on this stat due to dropping below 0 HP several times now. Actively Working to get it back up though. At this time, I'm probably at about average.

INT - 20 - Going by the nice equation given earlier. Simple enough, really. Being in the Psychology field, I've had my IQ tested and verified multiple times since childhood and it's pretty stable.

WIS - 14? - Not sure how to really measure this one at all. I'm highly observant, but I attribute that more to my INT giving me skill points than my WIS giving me natural enhancements to Spot. I lack faith, though. I'm a skeptic, agnostic and a pessimist by nature and have no wish to change that, so I probably never will. I can be far too trusting of people at times, but with age comes Wisdom, so they say, and I haven't had many issues with that sort of thing for a long time, so maybe they're right.

CHA - 16? - Again, extremely hard to quantify. I'm average looking at best (being somewhat generous while trying to be as objective as possible), but apparently have some sort of natural charismatic presence. I've been told at various times by various people that I'm both comforting and terrifying simultaneously. Not sure how to really rate that other than to say my intimidate and diplomacy scores must have a fairly natural and large bonus to them. My job requires a fair bit of persuasion on a daily basis and I'm damned good at my job.

If they seem too high it's probably because they are.

So I guess I'm a rogue with a CON dump stat? I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    as for voice actors I wanted Betty White for Lolth but I got voted down.
    Khyber: Alelric - Wiz 5 (Hero), Arayaleth - Ranger 20 AA (Champion), Altrocks - Cleric 20 Radiant Servant (Champion), Zinnix - Rogue 20 Assassin (Champion)

Community Member

Love this idea....

Str - 14 - I am strong as an Ox but for a very brief time.
    Dex - 12 - Fast as a panther but run out of steam after 100 meters (best time is under 11 seconds)
    Con - 18 - been through quite a bit in my life (stabbed, shot at, smashed a baseball bat/20kg iron weight over my head...) and am still here.
    Int - 16 - Got me 2 degrees, one in Physics and one in Distributed Computer Programming, so cant be stupid!
    Wis - 8 - while I am intelligent I am also very stupid, hence the trouble I been in raising my con!
    Cha - 11 - never had a problem charming people, but not that great to look at. Gift of the gab lol

Community Member Pallol_One-Eye's Avatar
    Basking in the glory of a Bruins Championship

Default Why not

STR-14 I can bench my 250lbs for 10 reps
    DEX-8 not particularly agile, but I don't trip over door thresholds
    CON-14 I have called out sick exactly 0 times in the last 8 years.....who knows what the Army shot me up with
    INT-14 so sayeth the IQ Testing folks
    WIS-10 decent common sense
    CHA-10 Average looks, but I can make people do what I want by sheer force of personality when necessary.....kind of cool at times

I'd like to say I was a Ranger, but my DEX is too low and the Claymore I have on my wall leads me to believe I'm something else entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by EustaceTrevelyan View Post
    A team-killing f-tard is a team-killing f-tard, no matter how long they've played.

Community Member

I'm just curious why so many folks state their Charisma based on their looks...

While "physical attractiveness" is part of Charisma, a large part of this stat is based on "personality". When trying to evaluate yourself on this stat, think of how you interact with other people. Do you have an easy time making conversation at a party? Are you a good leader? Are you persuasive or manipulative? Are you a good lair? Are you a good storyteller?

Quote Originally Posted by baddax View Post
    I think it was the seated military press, and im guessing you would have a bench and spotter if necessary.
    Ah, but the seated one isn't an overall measure. I recall I can do 200 pounds machine assisted squats. Then next day or two my back broke while turning in my sleep.

And Olympics lifters certainly don't compete in seated versions.

Quote Originally Posted by altrocks
    Giving in finally. Here are my best guesses using some of the metrics given in previous posts and taking into account aging since I'm over the third decade marker now, and adding in commentary for my reasoning.

STR - 15-16 - Going by the Max Press in 2nd edition I'd be an even 18, averaging between what I can press with my legs and what I can press with my arms, separately and individually (both needed for the actual max press test). I knock 2-3 points off because I'm sure my core muscles aren't nearly as strong and I'd probably have difficulty getting any more than 300 pounds at most above my head and walking a step or two, as per the description.

DEX - 17 - This is probably the one stat I never take for granted IRL. Years of martial arts, bow shooting and rock climbing have kept my dex score ridiculously high, much more so than anyone needs it to be, including myself. Working a normal job and starting a family right now, so I'm not as in practice as I have been for the last 20 years, but it hasn't degraded too much.

CON - 9 or 10 - I've always been sturdy and healthy until very recently. Dealing with a chronic disease now and had to have surgery last year because of it becoming nearly fatal. Ran out of Disease Removal pots and suffering from some Marks of Dolhurr on this stat due to dropping below 0 HP several times now. Actively Working to get it back up though. At this time, I'm probably at about average.

INT - 20 - Going by the nice equation given earlier. Simple enough, really. Being in the Psychology field, I've had my IQ tested and verified multiple times since childhood and it's pretty stable.

WIS - 14? - Not sure how to really measure this one at all. I'm highly observant, but I attribute that more to my INT giving me skill points than my WIS giving me natural enhancements to Spot. I lack faith, though. I'm a skeptic, agnostic and a pessimist by nature and have no wish to change that, so I probably never will. I can be far too trusting of people at times, but with age comes Wisdom, so they say, and I haven't had many issues with that sort of thing for a long time, so maybe they're right.

CHA - 16? - Again, extremely hard to quantify. I'm average looking at best (being somewhat generous while trying to be as objective as possible), but apparently have some sort of natural charismatic presence. I've been told at various times by various people that I'm both comforting and terrifying simultaneously. Not sure how to really rate that other than to say my intimidate and diplomacy scores must have a fairly natural and large bonus to them. My job requires a fair bit of persuasion on a daily basis and I'm damned good at my job.
    Low con, high int/cha/dex. You rolled a drow!

i am just like my rogue, 12/16/14/16/8/14, and my mother says wisdom runs in the family... Pssh!

Quote Originally Posted by Pallol_One-Eye View Post
    ...I'd like to say I was a Ranger, but my DEX is too low and the Claymore I have on my wall leads me to believe I'm something else entirely.
    Btw is that avtive? 0.0....
    Assassinate... That is all.

Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

if 10 is average...

STR 11. i'm stronger than i look, and much stronger than most people expect an overweight housewife to be

DEX 14. i have fast reflexes. i've snatched a wild bird off a bird feeder in my bare hand, and i've twisted down and grabbed (pinned to the floor with my hand, really) a cat that was trying to scoot out the door on me.

CON 6. i get hurt easily and i am sickly. i've twisted my ankle 4 times, i get a cold twice a year, and i have mild asthma

INT 16. 130 IQ. tested.

WIS 8. even with the high int, i still make incredibly stupid mistakes on a semi-regular basis

CHA 15. even tho i am, as i mentioned, overweight, which one would imagine gives a neg to charisma, i still am very personable. i can talk to almost anyone, and get them to smile and talk to me.

of special note: i really like to sing, and i do it well.

so i would probably be a bard.
    Last edited by katz; 06-07-2011 at 10:39 PM.

the official home of LOLWUT
    and R.O.G.U.E !
    Pointless/Frivolous/Beguiling/Justanotha Waste of Time, Katzklaw, Pickt d'Locks & etc
    Q: how do you get me to appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question! XD

Str: 11, I'm a bit stronger than average, but not by much.
    Dex: 14, Although I realise that my reflexes fail immensely when it comes to being a cleric. I panic and can't find spells.
    Int: 14, IIRC.
    Wis: 9, I'm still young - have a while to go
    Con: 12 I dont get sick that often, can function through tiredness, and have pretty decent stamina.
    Chr: 12, I can be convincing if I want to.

I suppose I could be a ranger with a rogue splash :P
    Jassial - 20 Druid Caster

Also: ~ Jetel ~ Jessoliel ~ Jemerial ~ Jedriel ~ Jevern
    Proud officer of Crimson Eagles on Khyber

STR: 14 - decent str for my size, I used to be able bench press close to 300lbs, 43 now, maybe 240 to 250 now....but I regularly workout not focused so much on weights but a little of everythingbut seeing the monsters in my gym...
    INT: 12 I dont have a good memory for numbers...unless 4 or less digits...but I'm a very good troubleshooter in my job
    WIS: 13 I feel that I have decent common sense, since I was young, I always "knew better" stayed out of trouble but I do have a weakness to charmers...especially the female side....I would have to roll a 20 for a save against the succubus...
    DEX: 15 I have very quick hands (boxing training for exercise)...I seem to be a be able to catch that glass that gets knocked from the counter...very good shot while in the military
    CON: 14 still pretty healthy and I look younger for my age, I may get the flu every 3 years if that...
    CHA: 12 I'm told I'm attractive but I think I'm more average, not a good leader
    Daigar Visogoth Ranger (2nd TR)
    Svinn the Berserker- 20th Level Barbarian
    Sarlona

Quote Originally Posted by darkforest View Post
    Low con, high int/cha/dex. You rolled a drow!
    I did, didn't I? Dammit... time to reroll.
    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    as for voice actors I wanted Betty White for Lolth but I got voted down.
    Khyber: Alelric - Wiz 5 (Hero), Arayaleth - Ranger 20 AA (Champion), Altrocks - Cleric 20 Radiant Servant (Champion), Zinnix - Rogue 20 Assassin (Champion)

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
    Your numbers are based off averages for heroes and adventurers. 3d6 is not normal for average humans (ie. NPCs)
    3d6 is normal for 'commoners'. Exceptional people in the world (most NPCs, basically anyone with a level in a PC class) are usually either 4d6, discard lowest die, or just stated out as 15/14/13/12/10/8 in whatever order makes the most sense.

Source is the 3.5 DMG.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast