Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: real-life stats

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

IIRC 8 is average in PnP so here's what im thinking

Str 10: I'm above average but just barely...maybe even 9
    Dex 6: I really bloody clumsy but i've developed reflexes to make up for it..so slightly below average
    Con 18: I'm never sick ,my pain tolerance is legendary among my friends and I heal incredibly fast
    Int 11: I'm above average but no genius
    Wis 4: Not sure where bad eyesight and hearing play into but I think its Wis....also I'm kind of absent minded
    Cha Varies: This one is weird It seems people either Love me or loathe me so hard to tell

Don't know what class I would be
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 06-05-2011 at 06:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubiconn View Post
    Wis 14 Wisdom is hard to quantify but I feel I am wise enough to say Im not wise
    Except that 10-11 is average, and 14 IS rather wise. =P
    Khyber: Runforr 13/6/1 Rog/Ftr/Mnk, Bakup 3/3/1 Mnk/Pal/Rog (TR Pal), Faylah 14 Mnk (TR Mnk), Janthyra 12/7/1 Brb/Rog/Ftr, Ainbthech 20 Sor, Fliethas 18/2 Fvs/Mnk, Unfilled 12/6/2 Mnk/Rgr/Ftr, Arcanemark 10 Wiz "Don't eat us dragon! We're like you, but smaller. And fly worse." - Kobold Crewman on the Heart of Wind

Community Member

I dunno about you cats, but I'm more complex than six tiny spreads of numbers can illustrate.

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisP.Fancypants View Post
    I dunno about you cats, but I'm more complex than six tiny spreads of numbers can illustrate.
    Its just for fun mr.buzz kill :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

I remember that some of the 2.0 stats had actual ways to establish values.
    Ie. Str was measured by the amout of weight a person could military press. Int was your IQ/10 so yes 140IQ would be equal to 14. Its also importanrt to note that any ability score was capped at 18 without magical enhancements. Ie Stephen Hawking and Einstein would probably be capped at 18.
    Also the magical ability score cap was 25 for any stat, which was God like stats. Most God leaders of a pantheon had all 25 if i remember correctly.
    “If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles" TsunTzu

Actually Str could go to 18/00 for Fighters.

I'm a 2nd ed. Player so My stats:

Str: 10
    Dex:7
    Con:16
    Int: 13
    Wis:13
    Cha:4

Nobody loves me

Community Member LoveNeverFails's Avatar

hmm...

str: 8 Painfully weak. Mainly because i don't even try.
    dex: 8 I tripped over the painted lines in middles school basketball...
    Con: 8 I'm not sick very often, but i'm also not the healthiest being in the world. I honestly think this is more a mental "I don't wanna go to work today" problem though... >.<
    Int: 14 I'm very smart. I think i tested in the 140-150 range when i was younger.
    Wis: 14 I'm very good at disseminating information as well.
    Cha: 16 I'm actually very attractive, and when necessary (ie when i want to) I can get people to swing the way i want them to go. I can be scarily manipulative when i wanna be.

Str: 7 - I can bench press what... 40 pounds for a couple reps? I really am not the athletic type.
    Dex: 12 - I am slightly dexterous and can do coordinated activities fairly well.
    Con: 10 - I'm healthy and get sick rarely, but I'm not really physically fit.
    Int: 16 - I hardly exercise because 95% of my time is studying, or on the computer. Also, if you're good enough to get accepted into DigiPen and have quite a bit of languages in your head, that could be saying something.
    Wis: 8 - My common sense sucks @$$ and I can be oblivious at times.
    Cha: ??? - I'm not much of a people-person and used to be really anti-social back a few years ago. But I am working on that and have been told by quite a few I am rather handsome. No thanks to being home-schooled for so long that I had no idea how to make friends in public schools...
    Have you ever wanted to create your own customized user interface skins for DDO?
    Click this sentence for a tutorial learning how, an easy-to-follow video guide.

Community Member

As has been pointed out here, in 1st Ed, 17-18 Int corresponds to mensa level, or <i>genius</i>. I suspect that Gygax chose 3d6 for ability stats because 3d6 follows a bell curve distribtion. As with any bell curve, the more standard deviations you get from the average, the harder it is to measure things meaningfully. There's been a definite trend towards stat inflation though, so I don't know what the exchange is these days. Used to be, 15 was a pretty good score.

Strength is approximately how much you can military press divided by ten. I.e., if you can lift 150lbs above your head, your strength would be 15. There are obvious problems with this -- one wonders how many 40lb halfings would be able to lift more than their own body weight -- but as a general, humanocentric guideline it works. An average strength of 10 is based on a medieval world where almost everybody did physical labor; I suspect a lot of us are below average . . . .

I've never heard of baselines for other stats, although I tend to think of wisdom as how many shots of tequila it would take for a person to think stealing go-carts was a great idea.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Quote Originally Posted by dranreb View Post
    I'm curious as to fellow DDOers real-life stats.

Mine would be (on a 6-18 scale):

STR: 13. I'm a reasonably strong dude. I have my moments of weakness/power, where I go a couple of points higher or lower, but probably average 13.

INT: 17. I'm Mensa-level intelligence. Not that I place a high value on that, but it's all I have.

WIS: 12. I'm very wise when it comes to handing out advice, but horrible at taking my own good advice. I have to take a penalty for that.

DEX: 14. I'm pretty quick. I was fairly clumsy as a child, but for a person of my size I'm pretty graceful, and my reflexes seem to have quickened as I have aged.

CON: 15. I have a decent amount of hit points.

CHA: 9. I just ain't pretty to look at.

Wow. I just realized, if I had to roll a character with these stats, I'd rather stab myself in the eye than play it. Oh, well. So...what are your stats?
    Wow you're superhuman.
    In D&D average person got 10 in all stats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    Humm real life stats. Well. I am just a normal Joe for the most part. But, I work in a manual labor job so I have gusto in the little things.

Str: 12 (Little stronger then normal, but not really amazingly strong) I don't work out, per say.
    Int: 13 (130 IQ last time I was tested, so just going with that)
    Wis: 12 (I know when not to touch something and I use You Tube as a means to know when not to do something)
    Dex: 8 (I am not a fast mover, and over the years, I lost quite a bit in this arena, the weight ain't helping either)
    Con 14 (Ain't been sick in 4 years running, and I am not young strapping lad either, so, I gotta be doing something right, and little things like smashed hands and bleeding is just part of the job)
    Cha 8 (Ok. I am not bad looking. but, unless I gotta say "Or I'm calling the cops" no one really listens to me)
    That IQ would correspond to a 16 Int. IQs are roughly normally distributed, with a mean of 100 and standard deviation of about 15. Ability scores (3d6 for non-heroic humans) are roughly normally distributed, mean 10.5, SD ~2.7.

So with an Int 2 standard deviations over the mean, you'd be a 10.5+5.4 = 15.9.

A conversion formula that takes statistics into account:

Int = (IQ-100)/5.6 + 10.5

Based on the IQ test I did as a ten year old, that would put me at a 19 or 20 Int. However, most people as adults have lower IQs than they did as children, so I'd say 17 or 18 is more likely. (Final school year results were 2.5 standard deviations above the mean).

My stats (quite a bit of 'ability damage' from a medium-term illness):

Str: 12 with 4 ability damage (so presently 8)
    Dex: 7
    Con: 12, 6 ability damage (so presently 6)
    Int: 17
    Wis: 9
    Cha: 14 (purely the 'Force of Personality' aspect of Charisma, not the 'Everyone likes me' aspect).

Maxxed skill points and Skill Focus in Knowledge: Mathematics, and a few skill points in other things.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Str 8 - Don't need strength I have gardeners, automatic transmission and elevators.
    Dex 8 - Can't dance or jump, and the hoochy coochy doesnt require a lot of tricky movements.
    Int 10 - Just smart enough to appear normal.
    Wis 18 - I'm a wise a$$.
    Con 18 - Been married 14 years, I can take all kinds of abuse.
    Chr 6 - Unless your drunk, then I might be a 8
    .:You can't ransack the clam:.
    Kongo - Kensai Tempest | Brolik - Warforged Ranger | Bonemender - Clerimonk | Torqata - Warforged Sorcerer | Fresco - Tempest III UMD | Ognok - Intimi Guard Tank

This is always fun, i did the same thing years ago based on 2.0 edition.

Str - 12 - There was a time I would give myself a 16, but the years make us lazy. I need to get back to the gym and toss some lvl ups +'s here.

Dex - 10 - This ones hard for me, because im an artist, and great at basketball, but im also a horrid snowboarder and just generally stumbling around most the time.

Con - 16 - I get sick maybe once every 5 years, ive never broken a bone, and just have good endurance overall.

Int - 9 - I dont know im average i guess, i never was great at school, but it didnt overall intrest me either. Anything im really intrested in i seem to pick up well.

Wis - 12 - Im very good at judging people and situations, i would give myself a higher score if it wasnt for my endless drive to be a screw-up despite knowing better, lol.

Cha - 16 - This to me is my shinning point, i have many great friends, and just have a great outlook with people.

Race - Dwarf
    Class - Warchanter (it just seemed to fit my stats not to mention im usally doing my rally cry at some local pub, woot woot)
    Gasoline(tr) Favored Soul - 5th Life
    Deadwall(tr) - Soul Survivor - 2nd Life
    Gasolinex - Pale Master
    Gasomatic Systematic - Bard

This was more fun to do with 2nd edition stats because they had actual hard caps like "God-like >stat<" at 25, and actual descriptions of what a character could max press, comfortably lift, etc for things like STR.

Others weren't very well defined and rightfully so. How does one measure CHA or WIS?

I think THAT is the more interesting question. If you had to actually find out, how would you go about it? What kind of tests or experiments would you do to figure out your WIS or CHA or DEX score? Be creative people. And no, you do not have access to an fMRI, millions of dollars or a state of the art research lab. You've got what you got right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    as for voice actors I wanted Betty White for Lolth but I got voted down.
    Khyber: Alelric - Wiz 5 (Hero), Arayaleth - Ranger 20 AA (Champion), Altrocks - Cleric 20 Radiant Servant (Champion), Zinnix - Rogue 20 Assassin (Champion)

It would be more interesting if you can back up your numbers with some standard metric or fact based justification.

E.g., I know a player whose job title is 'senior engineering scientist'. What should the int/wis be for this person?

Quote Originally Posted by darkforest View Post
    It would be more interesting if you can back up your numbers with some standard metric or fact based justification.

E.g., I know a player whose job title is 'senior engineering scientist'. What should the int/wis be for this person?
    Judging by most of the engineers I know... 18 and 2, respectively.
    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    as for voice actors I wanted Betty White for Lolth but I got voted down.
    Khyber: Alelric - Wiz 5 (Hero), Arayaleth - Ranger 20 AA (Champion), Altrocks - Cleric 20 Radiant Servant (Champion), Zinnix - Rogue 20 Assassin (Champion)

For my Strength 10-11, Got enough strength to lift the not stupid heavy objects.

Dex 10 , I know how to move well just my body doesn't want to do it with me at times hehe.

Con is a 6 , Started low and gotten worse in a short period of time hehe

Int 14 , I know a lot can recall most of it some of the time but never when I really need it hehe.

Wisdom... Can I take a reroll for this stat? I got no intuwition or wiseness hehe because I swear it is a 4 at times.

Cha is a 14. While I'm not exactly 'prince charming' most people who start to know me seem to enjoy my company and at times sway people hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Alarin View Post
    Strength is approximately how much you can military press divided by ten. I.e., if you can lift 150lbs above your head, your strength would be 15.
    That seems rather harsh a metric.

The jerking motion to lift the dumbbell to your shoulder level from foot/waist level is scary because you can easily get waist/shoulder injuries.

E.g., I can currently do military press 90 pounds per set of 10 repetitions. I may have the strength to do a single repetition at higher weights, but good luck getting the dumbbell off the ground, literally.

I don't even see the muscular persons in my gym do military presses, presumably for the above reason. The average untrained person may be able to do sets of 10 with 50-60 pounds dumbbell, but that doesn't match the strength numbers given by most here.

+1 for the great thread :P

My stats would be :

10 str - used to be good at sports but I stopped when I entered college.
    16 dex - pretty agile (I do a lot of hiking) & nimble with my fingers (my amount of kills in FPS games can attest it, even my teacher says so :P )
    10 con - I get sick twice or so a year, not my best stat...
    16 wis - My friends come to me for advice often, I'm really good at judging people & I truly like Psychology
    2 cha - Yes, besides being human, I wear a -6 hair item (fills the helmet slot) that makes people run away. Well, I have my hair real long now & I look like some rebel :P

Sithali-1 ~ 31/31 Lives ~ Completionist
    OMNIPRESENCE
    The Sith Project ~ Youtube channel ~ Sithali, King of Burst DPS ~ Pyrene, the Endgame Paladin ~ Facebook!

I love threads like these!

So let me see...

And I'm guessing here, but:

Str: 12
    Not a muscle bound man but I did work in shipping for six years and train in Aikido.

Int: 13
    If that point ratio above is correct -- and me scoring a 135 on an IQ test way back when -- then I suppose that is what it might be.

Wis: 14
    This is one of my best attributes hands down.

Dex: 15
    I was nimble and quick before martial arts. Now I'm better.

Con: 12
    This one is average.

Chr: 12
    This one is average as well. I think my influence comes more from talking intelligent facts and using my Wisdom in situations that call for it instead of good looks.

Fun thread.
    Guilds -- Officer: Umber Hulks, Member: Knights of the Silver Dragon (KotSD)
    Characters: Nalinor (Human Rogue lvl 20), Cargonar (Dwarven Fighter lvl 11), Atlanon (Dwarven Fighter 11/Barb. 2). Beltakorr (Human Barb. 18/Fighter 2), Fleabite (Halfling Wiz. lvl 9), Skirahzalon (Drow Bard lvl 8).

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast