Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteagle View Post
    Yeah, I certainly wouldn't put a Penalty on it, but I don't see what qualifies them for a Charisma Bonus ether.

Honestly I'd lean toward the reverse of dlsidhe suggestion, giving them a Racial Wisdom Bonus (since Kobolds can tell their sub-races apart by smell and they have Darkvision) and giving them Racial Ability Enhancements to Charisma.

After all, any Kobold who survives long enough amongst the Biggies has to adapt, especially to the (lack of) smell.
    There is a Kobold Sorceror Trainer in the Harbour!
    There is a Kobold Fav Soul Trainer in the Marketplace!

Where is the Kobold Cleric Trainer?

Sorry but in DDO Kobolds are a Charisma race!

Sorry to the nay sayers, but this thread is pure win win, I would totally pay to play Kobolds as a player race.

I would love to see in the social panels, ALL KOBOLD Raids! Etc Etc...

My goodness but the fun would be incredible.
    After a little Tolkien I am usually up for anything.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post

Well that would beg the question to WHAT church a would a Kobold Cleric or Favored Soul would belong to?

Well that would beg the question to WHAT church a would a Kobold Cleric or Favored Soul would belong to?
    Sovereign Host of course!

Well they already get a +2 Dexterity Racial Bonus even in Pen and Paper, dlsidhe just gave them an extra +2 Charisma bonus and took -2 off their Strength penalty to balance them out a bit.
    I play one in PnP as a party pc, I love them in PnP, the conversion to DDO, unless some of sub-race features are brought into the game, imo would yield such a dramatic change from what people that know it from PnP, would be a bad conversion, right now that is.

I'd love to see Kobold in the game as a player race. I just feel it wouldn't work so well, (right now)

Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    "I like pie. Pie is delicious." "You know, cake is better", and a sudden nerf gun war breaks out because Pie is supreme. Then someone says, "What about dinner?"

Community Member

Default Prior art

Bollocks. The concept, the name, everything has prior art dating centuries back.

From Wikipedia: The kobold (occasionally cobold) is a sprite stemming from Germanic mythology and surviving into modern times in German folklore. Although usually invisible, a kobold can materialise in the form of an animal, fire, a human being, and a candle. The most common depictions of kobolds show them as humanlike figures the size of small children. Kobolds who live in human homes wear the clothing of peasants; those who live in mines are hunched and ugly; and kobolds who live on ships smoke pipes and wear sailor clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus451 View Post
    the probable reason we have not seen/will never see a Kobold Plushie is that, while Warner Bros. owns the rights to DDO, the Dungeons and Dragons franchise itself still remains the property of Wizards of the Coast.

so while WB and Turbine are probably aware of the incredible earning potential of Kobold Phushies, they probably never will release one due to legal issues
    RTFM on Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus451 View Post
    the probable reason we have not seen/will never see a Kobold Plushie is that, while Warner Bros. owns the rights to DDO, the Dungeons and Dragons franchise itself still remains the property of Wizards of the Coast.

so while WB and Turbine are probably aware of the incredible earning potential of Kobold Phushies, they probably never will release one due to legal issues
    Not really. I think Turbine is busy enough with selling software, and they concentrate there. If you want to make business with Kobold Plushies you want to sell A LOT, not 10.000 (very optimistic)
    Goat, Sammich, Poultry

Community Member

I want the Kobold Race too....

As I posted earlier, I play one in my weekly V 2.0 PnP group. We call ourselves OHG (Old Hippies Group) and use "sigs' for every character you have, and are displayed on th Dm Screen. This my guy Elster Wrymeye, from Wrymm.
    "The Champion Animal Trapper" He started as the camp cook, and worked his way up the ranks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    "I like pie. Pie is delicious." "You know, cake is better", and a sudden nerf gun war breaks out because Pie is supreme. Then someone says, "What about dinner?"

Alright, but they do have Shamans (Cleric Druidy things?). What if...

STR 6
    DEX 8
    CON 6
    INT 8
    WIS 10
    CHA 10

...were the starting stats, and they got a flat +2 to all reflex saves, and a +1 to hit with natural weapons/unarmed, racial natural weapon enhancements, and racial charisma enhancements. Point them towards monk and Druid as favored classes.
    Thelanis - Dragons of the Shire
    Naeryna (Sun Elf 24 FvS Evoker) // Dianocia (Drow 11 Buckler o' Swashes) // Valissia (Elf 22 Shiradi Druid)
    Nae haz a story. Go read it.

Revised Kobold Koncept based on Feedback from the thread...

Kobold

Base Stats

Str: 6
    Dex: 8
    Con: 6
    Int: 8
    Wis: 10
    Cha: 10

Kobolds are a common reptilian race in Eberron claiming draconic descent. While less strong and hardy than other races, kobolds are surprisingly perceptive and have a charisma based less in charm than in raw (often misplaced) self-confidence.

Racial Traits

Kobolds are treated as small creatures, and as such gain +2 to hide and move silently checks, and a natural +1 to armor class and dodge. However, they have only 3/4 the carrying capacity of a standard creature of comparable strength.

Kobold Scales: A kobold's skin affords it some minor protection in the form of DR 1/piercing.

Kobold Natural Weapons: All unarmed melee attacks by a kobold are considered to be slashing-type damage rather than bludgeon, dealing 1d4 base damage with a 19-20x2 critical range and multiplier. A kobold monk retains the slashing damage and critical profile while scaling the damage dice.

Kobold Agility: Kobolds gain an inherent +4 bonus to jump and tumble.

Kobold Paranoia: Kobolds gain +2 to Spot, Listen, and Search checks, and +2 to Saves vs. Traps.

Kobold Hatred: Kobold always hate you. Consequently, most other living, intelligent creatures hate kobolds. All kobolds generate 10% more hate and have a +2 to Intimidate checks, a -2 to Haggle, and a -4 to Diplomacy.

Kobold Confidence: Through raw self-assurance, kobolds gain an inherent +2 to UMD checks. Kobold will make the shiny work.

Racial Feats

Kobold Memory (autogrant): Kobold never forgets, and a cleric, druid, or wizard kobold can use this feat to change spells from their book without resting. 15 minute cooldown, does not reset with rest.

Kobold Wings (requires Kobold level 17, autogrant): A kobold channels its draconic heritage to fly for short periods. Mimics the effects of the monk's Abundant Step. 5 uses, recharges every 20 seconds. If attempt at use is made with the count at 0, there is a 25% chance the kobold will become fatigued.

Racial Enhancements

Kobold Color Dragon Lineage I (AP Cost: 2, AP Progression: 8AP spent): You gain a stacking 5-point resistance to appropriate element damage. Lineage II would cost 4AP at 32AP spent for a stacking 10-point resistance to an elemental damage type. Repeat for each dragon color.

Kobold Color Dragon Breath (AP Cost: 4, AP Progression: 42 AP spent, requires Kobold Color Dragon Lineage II): You may create a small AOE damage effect dealing 1d2+2 per character level of appropriate element damage. This ability has a 240s cooldown, and is treated as a level 4 spell for enhancement purposes.

Racial Charisma Enhancements

Scent Fighting (AP Cost 2/4/6, available at character level 5/9/13): A kobold fights by smell as well as sight, and ignores up to 10/20/35% of displacement, blur, or incorporeality.

Kobold Natural Weapon Damage (AP Cost 2/4): A Kobold gains +1/2 to damage when using any natural weapons. This applies to wildshaped kobold druids as well.

Kobold Natural Weapon Attack (Ap Cost 2/4): A Kobold gains +1/2 to attack when using any natural weapons. This applies to wildshaped kobold druids as well.

Thickened Scales (AP Cost 1/2/3): Adds +2/3/4 to the DR/Piercing natural to kobolds, for a total of DR/(3/4/5).

Faith Line

2 Available. Kobolds do not gain access to Sovereign Host or Silver Flame lines.

Paragon of the Iredar: Grants proficiency in Tower Shields and Bastard Swords. FvS Capstone - DR 10/Mithral, Aid as an SLA. (Note: The FvS Granted Feats that add to weapon damage/attack only add to the bastard sword portion. Shield bonuses require taking the associated feats). Advanced Faith Enhancement: Bonded Weapon - Cooldown 10 minutes, the Paragon bonds with their weapon and receives natural fighting bonuses while wielding it. Weapons can have only one enchantment at a time.

Disciple of the Prophecy: Grants monk attack animation and speed, though not the flurry of blows feat for the attack bonus. FvS Capstone - DR 10/Mithral, Bless as an SLA. Advance Faith Enhancement: Draconic Power - Cooldown, 10 minutes, mimics an extended Divine Power + Haste.
    Last edited by dlsidhe; 08-15-2012 at 06:25 AM.
    Naeryna (Sun Elf 24 FvS Evoker) // Dianocia (Drow 11 Buckler o' Swashes) // Valissia (Elf 22 Shiradi Druid)

Quote Originally Posted by dlsidhe View Post
    Alright, but they do have Shamans (Cleric Druidy things?). What if...

STR 6
    DEX 8
    CON 6
    INT 8
    WIS 10
    CHA 10

...were the starting stats, and they got a flat +2 to all reflex saves, and a +1 to hit with natural weapons/unarmed, racial natural weapon enhancements, and racial charisma enhancements. Point them towards monk and Druid as favored classes.
    I was counting Shamans as FavSouls
    Witch Doctors as Sorcs

Kobolds are clearly also a Roguish race.

I'd go Dex 10 and Wis 8 myself.

Also giving them a Wis bonus would imo be silly - Dwarves and Humans have always made the best Clerics in D&D but neither of them have a Wis bonus.

It could even be possible to allow Kobolds to stay base 8 con {they are after all capable of living anywhere and eating anything} by dropping their Wis to 6 {Not known for Wisdom are they?}.

I was counting Shamans as FavSouls
    Witch Doctors as Sorcs

Kobolds are clearly also a Roguish race.

I'd go Dex 10 and Wis 8 myself.

Also giving them a Wis bonus would imo be silly - Dwarves and Humans have always made the best Clerics in D&D but neither of them have a Wis bonus.

It could even be possible to allow Kobolds to stay base 8 con {they are after all capable of living anywhere and eating anything} by dropping their Wis to 6 {Not known for Wisdom are they?}.
    Not known for wisdom, but they are known for being paranoid. Spot and Listen are both WIS skills. It's a depiction of their sense of perception rather than common sense (and we can't add an actual "Smell" skill). Thus, why their racial enhancements are in charisma.

ETA: Humans and Dwarves would still be better clerics due to no strength or con penalty, dwarven faith enhancements, human versatility, and the human extra feat. A kobold could get higher DCs, but would end up with all the hate and difficulty diplo'ing out of it.
    Last edited by dlsidhe; 08-15-2012 at 06:47 AM.

Not known for wisdom, but they are known for being paranoid. Spot and Listen are both WIS skills. It's a depiction of their sense of perception rather than common sense (and we can't add an actual "Smell" skill). Thus, why their racial enhancements are in charisma.
    Unfortunately Giving them a bonus to Wisdom would instantly make them the go to race for Clerics and Souls - and Gimp every other race.

Spot and Listen - Easy - Give them a Racial Feat that boosts those stats - Same as Dwarves and Elves get.

Warforged don't have any problems as FavSouls despite penalties to both Wis and Cha.

Kobolds with a bonus to Cha would make good souls even with a penalty to wisdom - A bonus to wisdom as well though would instantly elevate them over every other race!

ETA: Humans and Dwarves would still be better clerics due to no strength or con penalty, dwarven faith enhancements, human versatility, and the human extra feat. A kobold could get higher DCs, but would end up with all the hate and difficulty diplo'ing out of it.
    Warforged have a stranglehold on Survivable FavSouls without DCs of any kind and with less SPs!

Your plan would give Kobolds the DC FavSoul.

Which leaves nothing for Humans and Dwarves.

Btw I'm not mentioning the poor Elves and Halflings {Seriously - the healing dragonmarked race!}.

At least Drow have the benefit of High Charisma!

I tend to think of Kobolds as a Dex/Int/Cha race.

They bounce around a lot, so highly mobile.
    They put traps everywhere, even their own lunchboxes.
    an' Everybody loves them, even if it is just for Dinner.
    Occasionally playing on Cannith

Llyren, Kelda and some others.

Default kobold never forgets!

actually, the skill "smell" could be "transmuted" into bonuses to search and spot

Also, since their key factor in the game as NPCs is attacking in swarms and masses of groups, the playable character Kobolds should/could have bonuses to (sneak)attack and (sneak)damage for each friendly kobold within his/her close vicinity (lets say, 10 ft?).. like a +2 for each friendly kobold near him!... ooohh boy, look at those kobolds only raids! buahahahaha!!!!

Like an inherent aura that "grants this kobold a +1 to sneak attack and damage. If there is 1 or more friendly kobold in your vicinity this bonuses increases by en extra +2 for each of those friendly foes!"

ok :P

Im aware of how this would require special and developed knowledge of the game mechanics in order to be non gimped, as it would surely turn out if it was a "free to VIPs!" playable race, for the new-to-the-game player. Thats why i would suggest this would be a race that should be unlocked after proving you have experience in playng and building characters in the game... what about unlocked via favors only, or after you hit level 20 with any other race, or after true reincarnating for the first time...

this is such an oportunity for the implementation of a vast number of NPC races and monster that would make a vast number of players to regain their interest in the game, along wiht placing another objective for new players: unlocking the monsters you often fight against as playable characters! and not just reaching lvl 20, get more stuff... reincarnate, level to 20... rinse and repeat :P ...

My humble 2 cents
    Cisko from Argonessen: Prodigious Lord of Shadows, Master Locksmith and Deadly Firedancer
    (6th pure rogue life and counting)
    Long LiveR.O.G.U.E.

Community Member

I have multiple 20+ toons, but have never TR'd...I think I would TR one of them if they made Kobolds a playable race...just to be part of the all Kobold raids that would surely ensue.

/ not signed

Drinking the One-Eared Bugbear out of ale.

Default Still want gnomes first

Another dragonmarked house (sivis) as priority, then the kobolds, please.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast