Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

We'll also need a new class skill: smell, which would work similar to spot & listen.

Kobold smell all! Kobold omnisniffient!

Kobolds are a sentient food animal.

Some Kobold Ecology:

Psychology

About what one would expect from a sentient food animal in thrall to the forces of Darkness, alas: as a rule, Kobolds are nasty, brutish and short. They have very little interest in anything except physical survival, food and paying back some small fraction of the torment that is their lot. While not, strictly speaking, cowards, they are often perceived as being so. Kobolds see things differently. From their perspective, the universe is full of things that they cannot hope to overcome: many things that a Human or Orc could face with ease are certain death for this species. It's not cowardice to avoid certain death, right?

Aside from the above reluctance to court destruction, the other psychological factor most commented on by other races is the incredibly low sense of humor that is apparently ubiquitous to all Kobolds. Practical jokes (of the most crude types) are their favorite activity, and they engage in them whenever possible. This does nothing to endear them to other races, but Kobolds would continue their habits even if they actually cared about the opinions of other races. It's the only real weapon they have against the universe.

Ecology

Kobolds can live anywhere and can (and will) eat just about everything, no matter how disgusting or dangerous. They also reproduce in frightening numbers, to the point where if left alone they can overload a particular ecology within half a decade. They are not often left alone to that extent.

Role In The War

To be consumed. Ogres and Orcs need to eat, as do various sorts of monsters. Sorcerers need blood and guts and screams to power their sadistic rituals. The Dark Legions need bodies to soak up arrows and charges. Everybody serving Hell needs someone to idly kick, maim and/or abuse. The Kobolds can always be counted on to make more: indeed, a continual amount of culling is necessary to keep the numbers down.

Hell does not permit Kobolds to just wander around unsupervised. They are kept in large pens until needed and the majority of them make only one trip in their entire lives. The ones that are not immediately slated for slaughter are usually personal slaves to one entity or another; they live longer, but usually not better, lives.
    Reference: http://moelane.stormloader.com/innom...sy/Kobolds.htm
    A PUG is like a box of chocolates
    Get people to read your post.

I was thinking about Kobolds as trappers as well.

Given they have 150% of the halfling move rate in PnP (and they made halflings the same as everyone else here), just a serious bonus to base run speed and no negatives to caster attributes would present an interesting utility in DDO by itself. Add in a high(er) base Jump skill and you've got a highly mobile, if not otherwise extraordinary caster without even touching enhancements.

Give them (racially) the same ability to search for high-level traps that rogues and artificers do as well as a bonus to collecting trap parts and DC's (where the class has the ability to collect them), and they could make reasonable Arti's and Rogue Mechanics as well with the added benefit to actually set traps at a more effective level. This is sort of a way to take into account their base faculty with traps and trap-making.

Additionally, (and yes, I know it's 4th ED) there's a feat where they take less damage from traps if others are around. Basically cast it as a racial evasion when another character (friend or foe) is in the same traps AOE. Sort of limited evasion, Basically, if they make their reflex save, the OTHER character/enemy/summon takes their damage.

You add those basic abilities--in conjunction with a reasonable set of enhancements--and you'll have a seriously desirable character for some people. (And summons as trap-damage magnets).

I think they should probably be racially limited from heavy armor (and probably medium) or lose the speed/jump benefits. Additionally, blindness-ward goggles would be required for light areas but allow them some level of low-light effect in quests like Rainbow in the Dark. (Or require a feat/enhancement to lose the light sensitivity altogether).

Like this, you would get a decent, playable race that can't tank, but can be very useful as (fast) casters that can easily keep up with zerging barbarians, casters that can also find traps and be moderately survivable solo (if they sacrifice the summons/hires), and super trap setters with a good synergy with artificer and rogue mechanics for trap disarmament.

Face it, a Kobold Barbarian is just asking to die, but a well thought out caster or "sneak"... Should be very playable and fun.

Kobolds wouldn't be gimpy by default. Base stats mean very little in the grand scheme of things save for things like qualifying for feats and using SF potions. The con hit means -40 hitpoints at cap, which isn't that bad. The reason drow elves are badly seen nowadays is not that they get a con hit. It's that their enhancements suck royally, giving them nothing in exchange for the con hit. Giving kobolds good enhancement trees would make them effective combatants. I for one look forward to making a Dragonwrought Kobold sorcerer.
    Nerdrage/Endgame ~ Sarlona
    Ekkehart (human PM) - Hammet (WF AM) - Cerussite (helf THF kensei) - Anordineth (helf dark monk)
    Buy my stuff!

Continuing my crusade to get Kobold PCs in DDO I thought I'd repost these:

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Yark!

Kobolds and Gnomes in "The Little People" pack - Could also bring in Goblins as enemies {Goblins occupy the Stormreach sewers forcing Kobolds out into the light. Goldscuttle {Lvl 20 Artificer} leads the resistance ably aided by Edlin {Lvl 18 Sorceror} and The Exile {Lvl 18 Fav Soul}.

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    The little people pack! I like that.

Playable kobolts sounds fun
    Specially after reading some of the proposed enhancements/feats in this thread.

This reminds me of an old community made race pack for neverwinter nights 2 that included 80+ playable races, including kobolts
    http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view....detail&id=392

Quote Originally Posted by Pintail View Post
    Nope, not interested.
    Concur. Kobolds have been overdone. I do everything I can to get out of the harbor as fast as possible because they are just boring.

I really can't understand why people want kobolds so bad. They are extremely annoying at low levels, with their uncapped jump skill of 9249233423. I also find the challenge kobolds voices grating and really decrease my enjoyment of an already tedious grind.

I would be happy if they were removed from the game.

Community Member

Blasphemy!

Kobolds are awsome at any level. They are primitave, but procreate and age quickly. Just wait, kobold evolution is in progress and soon they will take over all of Eberron! bwahahahah

I <3 kobolds.
    Orien: Mammadrow, Southrn Comfort

Community Member

Default Yark!

Kobolds are awesome and would be an awesome addtion as a Player Race.
    They are THE mascot creature for Dungeons and Dragons outside of the Beholder

@dlsidhe:
    Would your Kobold's outline posted here and here be affected by switching the additional Charisma racial bonus for a Wisdom one?

There isn't any Player Race that gets one currently and while Thri-Kreen would work much better, there is the issue of making a four-armed race work with the current mechanics...
    Last edited by Whiteagle; 08-10-2012 at 04:54 PM.

Trolls first!
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    I'm on it. Nerfing the new thing asap.
    Also, nerfing the old thing too, for balance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    nnnnnnnmn....Pie is greater than Cake....nnnnnnnnn
    ^^^^didn't need to hypnotize me to make me say that :P ^^^^^^

Community Member

Default [i]Really?[/i]

Quote Originally Posted by pie2655 View Post
    Trolls first!
    Trolls?!
    How are you going to stat Trolls?
    They get +12 to Strength and Constitution with Regeneration as Player Characters on the tabletop...

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteagle View Post
    Kobolds are awesome and would be an awesome addtion as a Player Race.
    They are THE mascot creature for Dungeons and Dragons outside of the Beholder

@dlsidhe:
    Would your Kobold's outline posted here and here be affected by switching the additional Charisma racial bonus for a Wisdom one?

There isn't any Player Race that gets one currently and while Thri-Kreen would work much better, there is the issue of making a four-armed race work with the current mechanics...
    No racial bonus, they're too charming.

But the racial enhancement could be wisdom, reflecting that they get some common sense as they level.
    Thelanis - Dragons of the Shire
    Naeryna (Sun Elf 24 FvS Evoker) // Dianocia (Drow 11 Buckler o' Swashes) // Valissia (Elf 22 Shiradi Druid)
    Nae haz a story. Go read it.

Community Member

As you can clearly see from their jump skill of 1200+, the ability to climb up the ceiling then just sort of walk over air, and the bizare gesture based casting, the kobold modifier is clearly DEX based.

Jump is a strength-based skill.
    Thelanis - Dragons of the Shire
    Naeryna (Sun Elf 24 FvS Evoker) // Dianocia (Drow 11 Buckler o' Swashes) // Valissia (Elf 22 Shiradi Druid)
    Nae haz a story. Go read it.

I read this thread when 1st posted & did not comment.

Kobold is not a very good choice for DDO, IMO Kobold wouldn't convert to a good player character race. Too weak for the current state of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    "I like pie. Pie is delicious." "You know, cake is better", and a sudden nerf gun war breaks out because Pie is supreme. Then someone says, "What about dinner?"

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by bibliomane View Post
    As you can clearly see from their jump skill of 1200+, the ability to climb up the ceiling then just sort of walk over air, and the bizare gesture based casting, the kobold modifier is clearly DEX based.
    Well they already get a +2 Dexterity Racial Bonus even in Pen and Paper, dlsidhe just gave them an extra +2 Charisma bonus and took -2 off their Strength penalty to balance them out a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by ferd View Post
    I read this thread when 1st posted & did not comment.

Kobold is not a very good choice for DDO, IMO Kobold wouldn't convert to a good player character race. Too weak for the current state of the game.
    How so?
    Admittedly their -4 Strength Racial Modifier would at least need to be buffed to a -2, but Drow don't normally have a Racial Dexterity bonus or Constitution penalty ether.

And if you need a reason for why these Kobolds are any different then the ones you slay in the Waterworks, Eberron Canon already has one:
    The "bad" ones are "Irvhir" said to have been born from the blood of the Progenitor Dragon Khyber, A.K.A. the one who's body makes up Eberron's version of HELL.
    This is easy, as both Irvhir and enemy Kobold mobs both lean towards more "evil" magics like fear and necromancy.

Our Player Character Kobolds will be "Iredar" who claim they came from the Dragon Eberron's blood, and that tend towards Abjuration and Conjuration.

Community Member

I have a hard time imagining CHA on a kobold. DDO constantly calls them smelly, nasty, etc. Horc takes a penalty to CHA for looks alone. Look at the ones in ETK...2WF (w finesse/high dex I'd assume) High HP & AC, insanely complex casting motions by the bluebars. Yes jump is a str still, but I could see a racial modifier for dex on it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by bibliomane View Post
    I have a hard time imagining CHA on a kobold. DDO constantly calls them smelly, nasty, etc. Horc takes a penalty to CHA for looks alone. Look at the ones in ETK...2WF (w finesse/high dex I'd assume) High HP & AC, insanely complex casting motions by the bluebars. Yes jump is a str still, but I could see a racial modifier for dex on it lol.
    H-Orc Charisma penalty is NOT just about looks - They just aren't naturally charismatic!

Whereas Kobolds are!

The fishy Smell could be put in as a penalty to certain things like Hide and Move Silently BUT it has no bearing on DDO Charisma based skills like Bluff, Diplo, Intimidate or UMD - Well OK maybe Diplo {If Diplo was actually Diplomacy that is BUT not as it's used in game - to shed aggro by playing weak - Kobolds would have high bonuses to this!}!

Eberron Kobolds as seen in DDO are clearly natural Sorcs/Souls {Witch Doctor/Shaman} - This would pretty much require at the least NO Penalty to Charisma.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    H-Orc Charisma penalty is NOT just about looks - They just aren't naturally charismatic!

Whereas Kobolds are!

The fishy Smell could be put in as a penalty to certain things like Hide and Move Silently BUT it has no bearing on DDO Charisma based skills like Bluff, Diplo, Intimidate or UMD - Well OK maybe Diplo {If Diplo was actually Diplomacy that is BUT not as it's used in game - to shed aggro by playing weak - Kobolds would have high bonuses to this!}!

Eberron Kobolds as seen in DDO are clearly natural Sorcs/Souls {Witch Doctor/Shaman} - This would pretty much require at the least NO Penalty to Charisma.
    Yeah, I certainly wouldn't put a Penalty on it, but I don't see what qualifies them for a Charisma Bonus ether.

Honestly I'd lean toward the reverse of dlsidhe suggestion, giving them a Racial Wisdom Bonus (since Kobolds can tell their sub-races apart by smell and they have Darkvision) and giving them Racial Ability Enhancements to Charisma.

After all, any Kobold who survives long enough amongst the Biggies has to adapt, especially to the (lack of) smell.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast