Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Level 14 is up

Quote Originally Posted by Jaid314 View Post
    - eyes of stone: i haven't figured out a reliable way to remember which one is which, but why not check before she activates? you've got a while before she starts trying to kill you, and iirc none of the other mobs are active either right off the bat. go to one side, if it opens the wall and there's a black area behind, it's the wrong one.
    I will try that

- cursed crypt: i could be wrong, but i seem to recall that the vampire can see invisible stuff, but the silver flame guys can't. move up very slowly while invisible and then lead the vampire back behind the pillars on the opposite side of the room. make sure you go back really far, since the minions will sometimes notice he's fighting and do the "something's up" slide in your direction.
    I have been doing the invisible sneak pull. I always start on the Western side and my experience has been that if I go straight back from the altar, when the vampire starts his disappear/reappear bit, he will eventually reappear in the acid around the pad. When he does that, he teleports back to the altar at full health and the Silver Flames are now alert and can't be not pulled by sneaking. Consequently, I have been going behind the pillar closest to the entrance after I pull the vampire.

as far as the wolves spawning, i don't think there's a way to stop that... he just calls them partway through the fight. maybe if you had *ridiculous* dps or something like that it might be possible (not sure if it's timed or if it's based on his health, but it's hard to have ridiculous dps when you may be forced to resort to ranged dps on a soloing non-ranged character. sad to say, you're probably going to have to just fight the wolves. about the only ways i could see it working involve having TR gear (getting lucky with a couple of lightning strikes, getting lucky and having a high-damage DoT guard proc just at the right time, etc)
    The wolves aren't a problem. Generally what happens is that I pull the vampire, I damage him a couple of times with either a bow or a silver weapon and then the wolves get summoned. I kill the wolves. I then concentrate on the vampire. He keeps disappearing and reappearing and heals while I am not attacking him. Eventually, the Silver Flames will join the fight and things go down hill quickly after that.

alternately (and this is *really* reaching, there is a shield that drops out of diplomatic impunity that gives you petrification guard. a petrified silver flame guy is not dead, and therefore shouldn't fail your objective.
    I got the Gorgon Armor from "Eyes of Stone" and I was so stoked. Finally, the solution to this quest. It had no effect on the Silver Flames.

as an additional possible CC method, actually, i've just recalled that you can make rune stones. i'd recommend the minor versions if any, but i'm not sure how costly they are (if they're cheap though, they might be worth it). not for constant use or anything, but as something you can use when you're in a bad situation. in this particular case, you could potentially petrify one silver flame guy if they came after you, though if all four come you'll have problems...
    I can make the Lesser Petrify runestones. I wish I could read the description of them. I hadn't thought of runestones. I could also try the Lesser Stun and Flash to see how they work.

Edit: Something I just thought of reading the description of Lay On Hands is to use that against the vampire
    Last edited by GuntherBovine; 01-27-2012 at 01:07 PM.
    Returning player who is struggling to catch up with all the new changes.

Wow, Gunth, you are just so far ahead of me it's crazy. Congrats on hitting 14. Nearly three quarters of the way there.

I won't pretend to offer advice, you are too far ahead of me for me to say anything that would be useful to you. I just offer my encouragement to take it all that way! (at least until the level cap raise, heh). I am reading your logs with great interest. I'll see you on the server.
    The locus of my identity is totally exterior to me.
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

DDO Character Planner (Version 04.25.03) (Preview Screenshot) - Now with Warlocky goodness!
    Let's Play DDO!! - My attempt to video document a FULL runthrough of DDO, completionist style (Currently working through level 3 quests)

Community Member Dozen_Black_Roses's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GuntherBovine View Post
    Level 14 is up

I will try that

I have been doing the invisible sneak pull. I always start on the Western side and my experience has been that if I go straight back from the altar, when the vampire starts his disappear/reappear bit, he will eventually reappear in the acid around the pad. When he does that, he teleports back to the altar at full health and the Silver Flames are now alert and can't be not pulled by sneaking. Consequently, I have been going behind the pillar closest to the entrance after I pull the vampire.

The wolves aren't a problem. Generally what happens is that I pull the vampire, I damage him a couple of times with either a bow or a silver weapon and then the wolves get summoned. I kill the wolves. I then concentrate on the vampire. He keeps disappearing and reappearing and heals while I am not attacking him. Eventually, the Silver Flames will join the fight and things go down hill quickly after that.

I got the Gorgon Armor from "Eyes of Stone" and I was so stoked. Finally, the solution to this quest. It had no effect on the Silver Flames.

I can make the Lesser Petrify runestones. I wish I could read the description of them. I hadn't thought of runestones. I could also try the Lesser Stun and Flash to see how they work.

Edit: Something I just thought of reading the description of Lay On Hands is to use that against the vampire
    When you get to the vamp room I sneak to the opposite side of him, then facing him I sneak up to him. As you are doing this keep an eye on him or general chat, as you get closer his dialogue will change as he recognizes you are there. As soon as he does, turn around and sneak as far back to the opposite side as you can. Once you do this he and only he will come. Although the silver flame also awaken they will not follow you. Dont fight in the middle but the complete opposite of the room. Be careful when on acid side not to be too far back or he can pop in the acid and then leash back at full health.
    Shogyo Mujo (Nothing lasts forever and everything must change).
    @>---Fuhgly, Suzee, Blohnde, Shakkei, Redhawt, Sanctified, Punkrawk, Gaelsong, Deviliscious, Liethal----<@

Quote Originally Posted by Dozen_Black_Roses View Post
    When you get to the vamp room I sneak to the opposite side of him, then facing him I sneak up to him. As you are doing this keep an eye on him or general chat, as you get closer his dialogue will change as he recognizes you are there. As soon as he does, turn around and sneak as far back to the opposite side as you can. Once you do this he and only he will come. Although the silver flame also awaken they will not follow you. Dont fight in the middle but the complete opposite of the room. Be careful when on acid side not to be too far back or he can pop in the acid and then leash back at full health.
    The problem is that the Vampire doesn't melee. He stands back and tosses nasty spells, then periodically teleports to someplace else. So if I stay at the very far end, I won't damage him.

I did the quest again last night. I forgot to bring Invisibility pots with me. Using the Lay On Hands to damage made a huge difference and I was able to defeat both projections. It is kind of tricky to us the LoH against a mob as I guess I have to be close to it to use. My first one just healed me (and I was at full hit points). What I did was melee for a bit to make sure I was engaged then hit with the LoH. I am guessing the projections have 600-800 hp on Normal and the burst damage (160 a LoH) made it a lot easier to bring them down.

I totally screwed up the final battle. I couldn't go Invisible so I tried going stealthy instead. I forgot to put on my Feather Fall boots and took 86 damage to start. I got swarmed as soon as I got in the room. I did hit Maldetto with a LoH and the red bar barely moved. He must have at least 1200 hp.

Edit: One thing I am not clear on is which is better: S&B or TWF? I have a +5 Heavy Adamantine Large Shield and use as an off-weapon +4 Bodyfeeder Kukri. With the shield, my AC is currently 42. Once I finished "The Cursed Crypt", I will reset my enhancements to get it higher. If I am not getting hit much, the Kukri is wonderful as it constantly generates a buffer of hp to absorb the damage I do take. However, Ogres and Trolls can hit my pretty regularly and hard on level 7 Elite quests, so I am thinking it would be better to go with the higher AC to reduce the amount of times I get hit. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by GuntherBovine; 01-30-2012 at 09:25 AM.

I did "The Cursed Crypt" tonight. The LoH made the first projection easy. The battle with the second projection started weird in that it stayed with his buddies for the longest time. Even summoned the wolves next to them. Eventually, he came across and I took him down without disturbing the Silver Flames or the wolves.

The last room didn't go as I had hoped. I followed DDOwiki's advice and floated invisible down to the SE corner. Unfortunately, Maldetto and all of the Silver Flames spotted me as I came down. I killed all of the Silver Flames and then had a long, long fight dispatching Maldetto. After I killed the Silver Flames and the wolves, I wasn't in serious trouble.

Level 15 done - 3/4 of the way there

Level 16 is finally done

Level 17 is done

Level 18 is done. Two more levels to go

Level 19 is done and I TRed once I hit 20, so this journal is complete

Default Congratulations :)

Nice journal

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345