Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Post-U9 lag

Quote Originally Posted by Codeshaper View Post
    There are a lot of reports involving raids with multiple casters, but it really seems to be across the board, so I don't think it's necessary to run any particular content.
    Cool beans. Thanks for getting on this. There is nothing more frustrating than having lag hit in the middle of the quest.

There are a lot of reports involving raids with multiple casters, but it really seems to be across the board, so I don't think it's necessary to run any particular content.
    hehe I can see it now, double strike for casters!
    (Perma) - Khyber - Official Helpers Guild Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    Grease is an extremely valuable party buff.

Community Member

I went in to shroud with a PUG the evening Update 9 patch 1 was deployed -probably around 10 EST. The lag was amazing and beyond a shadow of a doubt the worst I have ever seen it. Every person in the group was stutter stepping all the way through part 1 -the same effect was being seen by everyone that was voice chatting, and a few that were typing. Some did not communicate at all so I do not know if they were seeing what the rest of us saw. I was casting blade barriers that were taking 6 seconds just to show up. I cast the first one by accident. I cast the rest to confirm how bad it was / for laughs :-)

Our fvs says that his spells were taking just as long to animate, if not longer.

We actually made it through, and the lag got far less severe towards the end of the hour we were in there. The deaths in part V were largely due to an ill-advised attempt to try and lure harry up on to some type of platform someone decided to build.

Now as to what was going on that night: when I was not in that raid, I only did one other thing. I stood at the crafting altar and decomposed scores of shards back into essences. I saw a lot of other people doing the same thing. It is only speculation, but I would guess that the new crafting is a bandwidth / cycle hog and is probably contributing to the degradation of other aspects of game play. Interestingly, voice chat did not degrade in the slightest at any point in time.

Oops -this was on Orien
    Last edited by Katie_Seaglen; 05-19-2011 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention the server

Hi all,

We are aware of the increased lag that has cropped up post-U9 and are looking into it. There is enough anecdotal evidence to point to a few candidates for investigation, but more info could be useful, hence this thread.

What I'd like, for now, are the world you play on, the quest, the party size and composition, the time of day (with timezone, or converted to either GMT or EDT), details about what was happening when the lag hit (for example, "all the casters had just called up ice storms", or "we got up from the shrine and couldn't move"), and any other info that seems relevant. If you were chatting with other players in-game and they did or didn't see lag at the same time, that could also be useful.

Please don't post "I'm seeing horrible lag! Fix it!" or the like. As satisfying as it might be to rant and vent, it won't help us track down the problem.

Thanks!
    Server: Ghallanda
    Quest: Epic DQ (also in all other 12 man raids)
    Time: 8pm-12am EDT

Failed EDQ like 4 times in a row. There would be a time when I'd hit mass heals and nothing would work, then a second later the party would be dead.

I've also noticed severe lag in other raids where arcanes will have a bunch of CC spells down. (ice storm, acid fog, disco ball, web...) I have all graphics set to low or turned off.

Soloing in Coalescence Chamber, using the FvS archon, the combination of acid fog/web/archon and whatever else the trog casters are using will makes everything flare white and bogs down my system.

Community Member

turn off crafting for a day and see if thats the resource hog that many think it is... simple and easy test. seeing as crafting was the major change from u8 to u9 this would be the most logical place to start.... oops did i say logical

Community Member

I haven't seen much lag in quests, but there have been a bunch of times where I'll put an item in the deconstruction altar and the game will hard freeze--the screen goes white and the window says "DDO - not responding" at the top. But after a second it figures out the recipe and un-freezes so I can run the decomp.

I noticed some delay when crafting items too, if I put in the blank instead of the shard first.

Community Member

Khyber, Sands/Chamber of Raiyum (mostly in Wiz King but got hit outside once), solo wizard, just running around

Community Member

Favored souls are generating a lot of lag. I got multiple smooth completions on Tower of Despair without a favored soul, or with favored souls that turned off the PrE. When an angel of vengeance is there, The nythirios fight lags a bit. The horoth fight lags a lot, it gets worse as the orthons spawn and becomes unbearable when suulomades drops.

Well, i've noticed two different things since U9.

1) Switching characters breaks my client. You've had some major memory leaks for a long time related to switching characters, but update 9 takes it to a new level. I've never loaded in in under 5 minutes since update 9... and my whole system suffers. I only Alt F4 and reload the client when I have to switch now.

2) Something you've done is really taxing my video card since update 9. My video card was already on the fringe of playing (after the game blew up my new one, I had to downgrade to one I had lying around... thanks for that) but it's dropped my FPS so that in raid type situations I drop to unplayable 2-4 fps.

I don't think it's a lag issue so much as sloppy coding or something not playing right on the graphics/memory side of things. People with better set ups probably don't notice it.. but those on the edge of playability before are hurting now.

Tha'ts my anecdotal evidence anyway.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by bobbryan2 View Post
    My video card was already on the fringe of playing (after the game blew up my new one, I had to downgrade to one I had lying around... thanks for that) but it's dropped my FPS so that in raid type situations I drop to unplayable 2-4 fps.
    That sounds like your power supply couldnt handle the current draw under heavy load. Not saying thats a cause, but if a new card burns out under heavy load it might be time to investigate the powersupply to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbryan2 View Post
    Something you've done is really taxing my video card since update 9. it's dropped my FPS so that in raid type situations I drop to unplayable 2-4 fps.
    are you running a very old cpu/mobo? even the crappy onboard video on a decent mobo will run above 4fps in raid situations. As ive posted in another thread ive taken a 9400gt 1gig pci bus video card and running it on an am3 socket phenom 2, i got 30 fps in raids. the only way i could get crippling lag like that was to run an old 478socket P4 2ghz with that 9400gt pci. indicating its not graphics card problems... but mobo/cpu issues. wish i had an old 6200 or something to try out.
    Last edited by mystafyi; 05-19-2011 at 09:00 PM.

22:19 EDT - Sarlona - Level 5 Favored Soul (ready to level to six but waiting.)

The Graverobber - House Jorasco - normal.

Noticed since update nine that my flavored soul will show the casting animation and then not cast Cure Moderate Wounds. I failed the concentration check at that point and get thrown backwards. I had all resistances, nightshield, and divine favor running with no meta-magic feats running. Using the flame great-sword from veteran's status.

If more than four monsters are rolling to attack I start noticing lag. Particularly if there are casters. If there are no casters the lag isn't as noticeable.

The Dead Predators - House Jorasco - Normal

Started this quest and noticed some slight hesitation when the first Arcane Skeleton appeared. Using an acid morning star of pure good shows more hesitation each time I hit anything.

Summons (Celestial Dog anyways) do not seem to be affecting the issue one way or the other. By themselves I'm not seeing any hesitation.
    I also notice an issue running around the harbor and market where it will pause for a couple seconds in the running. I'm running a 2.66Ghz Pentium 2 dual core with 2Gb ram off SATA 2 drives. Windows XP (Directx 9.0) Service Pack 3 with all updates. Radeon x1300 video card with 256Mb ram IIRC. Most graphics settings are as low as possible while keeping the game playable.

Edit: The whole time I ran this character DDO was sitting at about 75Mb of memory usage, I logged out of the character and switched to another character (level 10) to move some stuff via the shared bank. Currently (23:02 EDT) I'm watching the memory climb. Currently at 190Mb of memory used.

Edit Redoux: Once I left the bank in the marketplace and left the marketplace the memory used dropped for a bit. Standing still however it's now hit 230MB. 23:05

Edit Part 3: Now at 356MB and climbing 23:08 - Going to log out and back in.
    Last edited by zorander6; 05-19-2011 at 10:08 PM.
    Cannith - Falconsbane(8 - 3rd life), NeedOil (14), NeedMead, Needfood, hobbitarcher(5)
    Sarlona - Zebidiahh (19.8), Anotherpers(20), Smurgh(16), Falconsbane(14), Needoil(15)
    The first rule of the trashcan guild is expect to die...
    There is no second rule.

Here's my typical connection profile: 320ms ping time, 0.5% packet loss. (I'm in Western Australia, practically as far as you can get from the servers as the crow flies, and those numbers are quite acceptable to me). Up until late last year I was running on XP, now Win7 - when I changed, apart from load times due to some hard drive changeovers, there was no real difference one in-game. I also never ran Shroud before the fixes surrounding U5 (hit that kinda level on my first toon shortly after).

My graphics card is an NVidia 8800GTS - always used a fairly recent, if not the most recent, driver. The rest of the hardware has been mid-range.

I have also set up a Linux box with Wine to play it on a 9500GT card, DirectX9 only with post-processing off due to the nature of graphics artefacts rendered on the screen, but all the detail settings at max otherwise. The biggest downside to this setup is that while I can target and hit portals, I cannot see them rendered (except in the focus orb).

Lag experience - behaviour is the same from both boxes, though the Linux box was only set up post-U9 (so historical behaviour is from the point of view of running on Windows only)...

Shroud:
    At the end of part 1 as we run up the steps to the chests, the movement of the rest of the group appears to stutter (all other toons running on the spot for a few steps and suddenly jumped a little closer to the chests). This has always happened. Also periodically I'll see numbers flying overhead for a few seconds after it's pretty obvious that whatever we're hitting is dead - be it portal or devil. When others do complain about lag, it's not affecting me beyond this. There's also the heal lag, which usually appears to be happening directly to any number of the healers, or someone who is obviously experiencing some kind of connection issue, but no more after U9 than before.

Subterrane:
    What lag? Seriously, there's one guy who routinely falls down around the puzzle near the VoD entrance, complaining of lag. At the same time, I (and usually the rest of the group) notice nothing. It's always been like this AFAIK.

Physics: This is my only issue. I jump to hit a ledge and 0.3 seconds later (my ping time) it tells my client something else is happened, or that my position wasn't quite what I saw, and that air jet I thought I timed to miss has blown me across the room. This has always happened since I started playing. The ladder bounce issue is fairly common across all ladders when I'm in a hurry (if I stop before the ladder, pause to line it up and leap it rarely happens), and I've even experienced that type of bouncing issue in the Monastery of the Scorpion spike ceiling bit. I spent a good 45 seconds yo-yoing up and down that, once. The physics corrections have always behaved like this from my perspective though, and with a bit of care it tends not to bother me too much. However, I have GREAT difficulty getting a good run through the pipe-walking bits on The Pit - many many attempts over not-so-many runs, to get up to the top of that section maybe twice.

Meanwhile I sometimes group with a guy who lives nearby and moans about lag regularly when we do.
    Goe ahed... korekt mah spelin'.

Community Member

Our guild runs with only 1 caster who does mostly CC spells, it cannot be this.

eADQ, eChrono are the worst offenders. The lag can get absolutely insane in those 2 instances when you have 9 geared melee constantly fighting. This insane lag only happens when in 12 person group while fighting high hit point mobs(servers cant keep up?), and doesn't matter which instance or what time. Causing insta-death as the server catches up, rubberbanding, delayed attacks and spells and is not as persistent if everyone stops fighting.

Some other kind of lag happens when the servers are at capacity during prime-time 5-10 pm US central time, worse on the weekends. This kind of lag causes insta-death as server catches up, rubberbanding and attacks/spells to never land and is persistent even out of combat. It doesn't only happen at prime times though.

This is how I see it, I may be wrong but its the best way I can explain. I play on orien.
    Last edited by FastTaco; 05-20-2011 at 12:21 AM.

Ritual sacrifice has for as long as I remember always given me some lag. I see others here mention it too.

It makes no difference if I solo it or run it in a full group.

I move normally for 5-7 seconds, then freeze for a moment before I move normally again. It is like this from start to completion. Sometimes it is very little, other times it is more laggy, but the lag is always there.

I see a lot of lag on all my toons when chaining spells/abilities/clickies/anything from my hotbars. It's noticibly worse when mobs are around and increases greatly as the number of mobs increases.

This is on top of the normal lag caused by my client running for more than 1 hour continuously, or swapping to different toons without restarting the client.

I've noticed it in nearly every quest I've been in (mostly epics, raids and mid-level to end-game quests since U9 went live), and on every type of toon (ranged, caster, melee). It does seem to get worse during prime times such as evenings and weekends (U.S. Central time).

Some things seem to make the lag worse, such as AoE spells (Ice Storm, Dancing Sphere and Symbol of Death, specifically), that hit lots of mobs at once. It also seems to spike when new mobs spawn or teleport in to the area (Devils and Orthons most notably). It's almost debilitating when they teleport or spwan right into an AoE effect.

For reference, I'm running Vista Home Premium 32-bit, Athlon X2 4000+ Dual Core, 4 GB RAM, 1GB nVidia GTS240, 10 mbps cable line. I don't usually experience any kind of graphics lag at all, but since U9 went live, the spells seem to be taking quite a toll. I'm getting missed clickies and spells from my hotbar, rubberbanding of players, mobs and myself and spells misfiring or telling me I'm not facing the right way when I'm staring right at my target. Also, as always, any lag spikes are causing me to lose lots of arrow RoF, especially while Manyshot is active, which also seems to cause some lag, at least locally. I haven't noticed any manyshot lag from other players using it near me.

Hope this is somewhat helpful. Good luck on the bug hunt.
    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    as for voice actors I wanted Betty White for Lolth but I got voted down.
    Khyber: Alelric - Wiz 5 (Hero), Arayaleth - Ranger 20 AA (Champion), Altrocks - Cleric 20 Radiant Servant (Champion), Zinnix - Rogue 20 Assassin (Champion)

Community Member

OK

how about a test

Turn off dungeon alert for a week and see what the lag is like? (ok i better duck now!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jastron View Post
    Server: Sarlona

Characters: Jastron (L18 Sorc), Borbank (L20 Bard)

I get about one second of total game freeze (IE nothing changes on screen) every time I swap out their main hand Tier 3 GS weapon which has +1 and +2 exceptional Charisma on it (they are not main chars of mine so no TOD rings for them yet). Swap to a scroll, lag. Swap back, lag. It is very consistent and quite a problem when I need to heal in a hurry with a heal scroll etc. I have quested with others who experience the same issue.

This may have existed prior to U9 and I just may be noticing more from starting to run the Sorc again, but the severity of it and the reproduceability merit its addition here.

Thank You!
    I got the same issue before U9 with windows7 64 bit and DDO high resolution client installed: swapping to windows xp64 and standard resolution client solved the issue for me. Also, turning environment stencil shadows off removes every form of "lag" from shadow crypt, but it helps everywhere in the game.
    Cannith: Hazrael--Nyal--Thalax

Fountains,each and every one of them causes severe lag when running past them.

Default lag on sarlona

ran shroud thurs may19 not sure what time it was just after noon eastern i think. we all saw lag though whole mission.laag started as soon as we started and was real bad at portals and part 4

Community Member

Only lag I've experienced since the update was a couple of nights ago when I was question in harbor on my newly born fighter with my friend on his new favoured soul. I think it was around 22-23 GMT+2 when both of us had some episodes of jumpy movement, monsters not being where I though they were, them dying a few seconds after I was done with them and so forth... I was looking at the network statistics and it didn't report anything weird, just the normal ~120ms latency and 0% packet loss.

We are playing from Finland and Sweden though so it may or may not have been related to network

Other than this one incident, I always wonder what this lag is that people keep whining about o.O;
    Everybody's cute. Everybody's cute! Even me. But in purple, I'm stunning!

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast