Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Post-U9 lag

Scholar Of Adventure Lost_Leader's Avatar

I've noticed an increase in lag when swapping out characters. This has been ongoing since the beginning of ddo, but seems more pronounced since U9.

Once I have switched a couple/three times, things get a bit hinky. It is especially pronounced during gear swapping and buffing/debuffing. Particularly items and spells which affect stats. After 6 or 7 character switches, or staying on one through a long string of quests, switching a stat item can freeze the game up for several seconds.

Obvious work-around is to completely restart client between character switches.

I also noticed this causing similar issues for people when stepping into particularly large quests and explorer areas. Many times stepping into the desert will cause a couple of folks to dc. Its not as bad as it used to be, but U9 brought some of it back.

A big upgrade on my PC really helped these issues for me, but it just prolongs the build-up of memory leakage.

A second lag issue is that it seems the nightly lag-thirty is back. I assume this is server backup time, but it is very scary because these are the times when you hear horror stories of people losing items by taking them out of mail/shared banks. All the vendors lock up a bit and mail/bank npcs basically shut down. It is no where near as bad as it used to be, but it is back. Usually hits around 2am pst.
    Leader of the Lost Legions
    ~Sarlona~

Community Member delicious.crab's Avatar

Khyber 5/23 Offering of Blood
    No particular issues seemed to trigger it - 4 players, 1 hireling, just before the second bridge.
    Standard lag syndrome - no damage being applied, sinking feeling, party wipe.
    Right at 9:00 pm ET

Behaviors I saw were me hitching (small, but repetitive groups of 4-5 mini-rubberbands, if that makes sense), hireling unresponsive on first 2-3 clicks of call hireling and heal commands, AI goofiness (attacking random directions instead of toward me or hireling, attacking from afar instead of closing).

Today while running vale with guildie, there was a more obvious sign - orthons when switching to their repeating xbows would fire 2 or 3 instead of 4 rd volleys. sounded like shots 2 and 4 one time, shots 1, 3, 4, or 1, 4; etc.

world you play on thelanis
    the quest - tried quests in all houses - see same effects, all difficulties
    the party size and composition - solo, most of the time with hireling, but without saw same effects
    the time of day - since friday 6PM CDT - usually play all weekend off and on, till 0100 or 0200 CDT

Until tonight (Sunday, 22 May), I have not experienced any of the post-u9 lag. Today I experienced three cases of it on Sarlona.

First was in the Titan raid, on Sarlona. We had prep'ed top and bottom pillars, and dropped two on the Titan successfully. We had to bring the "ladder holders" down to reset his position, and as they were getting ready to head up the ladder, the entire instance froze. This happened at some point between 8:55PM-9:00PM Eastern. We could see the Titan move, attack, and people could speak without any issue. No damage was inflicted on us, and the Cleric's aura wasn't landing. This freeze lasted for nearly 30 seconds. All the damage caught up in a matter of seconds and wiped out most of the party.

We managed to recover and rebuff after that. The rogue who was manning the gun was able to speak, and he said he was able to activate clickies, but he could not move. He had to relog in order to be able to move again. Another smaller freeze, which lasted about 10 seconds, happened about 2-3 minutes later. This caused no deaths, but showed the telltale signs of a frozen instance, and nobody could move during the duration. The rogue manning the gun had his "unable to move" glitch happen again and had to relog, again.

Finally, at about 10:00PM, an Epic Chronoscope raid showed a lot of latency. Heals were slow to cast and slow to hit (circle appeared, heal wouldn't hit for 2-3 seconds after), scrolls would be used but did nothing, and the caster's crowd control spells were being cast but not actually landing. There were no freezes like what happened in the Titan about an hour before, but with the delayed healing and crowd control, it did not succeed. Party makeup was 2 divine casters, 1 wizard (archmage), 1 heavy melee splashed divine (12CLR/7MNK/1FTR), 1 bard, rest melee classes.

Community Member

Today, Cannith, Epic VON6, 2pm server time
    Experienced rubberbanding where two party members went from almost being on second base to just before first base. All but 4 party members died to Velah breath, after dragon was dead one melee had to tumble to be able to move after being rezed.

Today, Cannith, Guild Airship, around 3pm server time:
    Each time I opened shared bank, ddo client would crash to desktop after a black "blank" screen. I tried on 4 of my 6 characters. Same result each time after about 10-20 seconds of being able to move items to/from the shared bank. Didn't lose any items (thankfully).

In general, eADQ seems to have a 4-5 second delay for heals to land, in nearly every run I've done post update. Various party compositions.

Sunday May 22, around 11:50pm EST.

Party experienced some lag in The Last Stand quest in Red Fens. When we finished quest and recalled from adventure area and reentered no one in the party could move. All of us could still talk on voice and type in chat. Characters could spin in circles, attack, and cast spells but could not move in any direction. Reconnecting did not fix problem. You could recall and move around fine in House K but upon entering the fens no one could move. Finally we all recalled and broke group then entered out own instances and could move. Very weird.
    Last edited by Vengeance777; 05-23-2011 at 04:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BurnerD View Post
    Server: Argo
    Time: 8-11pm EST
    Date: 5/18/11
    Quest: Shroud - All 5 parts

12 party members. All 12 party members experiencing debilitating lag throughout the quest. Examples: massive lag spikes causing spells and melee damage to not apply. Opening a chest - character opening animation would complete, then blue bar would pop up and complete then chest would open.

Also experienced lag afterwards in 5 man party in Diplomatic Imp. and Framework. Not as bad the Shroud, but still significant.

Also one party member posted something from combat log: "you were healed by error" - wording isn't exact, but there was no toon named error so I guess the combat log wasn't able to get good data.
    server -Agro

Date 22/5/11

Quest- tears

entered the quest killed mobs ran few steps ahead my toon movement began to slow move then freezed for 2 m ins then it got free after few minutes again i got lagged my animation movement was slow then the toon got freezed i got my computer formated upgraded ram internet speed at top speed this thing happens with me everyday its very annoying

Someone earlier mentioned Sands crashing. I don't think it's lag-related, but I crash going into the Sands Wilderness area about 1 out of every 3 times. Been doing that for a long time.

Someone else mentioned character swapping. This is also always been a problem. If you constantly swap toons out (log in play, logout, wash, rinse, repeat) by the time you get to your 3rd or 4th character, the game basically becomes unplayable. I suspect it's no freeing all the associated memory associated with a prior character, and eventually you run out of RAM available.
    Cannith:
    Brigette; Warlock12/Monk3(14th life) || Aoeryn; Wiz20(3rd life).

Sunday 5/22 16:00pst

server: Argo

Gianthold Tor

1 FvS
    2 Wiz
    1 Barb
    1 Monk
    1 Ranger

Lag when finished fighting each dragon/giant combo. No lag during the fight, but lag afterwards while leaving the room or gathering loot/chest. Then more lag as we navigated to each dragon room. We all experienced the same lag issues, it wasn't just 1 or 2 people.

Thank you!

Here is something that is easily repeatable for me and is a form of lag that I never experienced before U9.

Go into a quest, any quest.

1. Equip a bow.

2. Hold down the "Attack" button for a while, maybe 20 seconds or so.

3. Let go of the Attack button and try to swap to a melee weapon using a hotkey.

Result: You continue firing the bow for several seconds and do not swap the weapon. You can only weapon swap after the next animation that happens after you've released the attack button and should have already stopped firing. This makes using ranged combat very difficult if you plan to shoot a couple arrows then swap when the creature gets into melee range.

Also, if I go into any quest or explorer area with my TWF ranger and fight anything while I or my opponent is moving, it seems like what I see and where I am swinging are two entirely different things, and it remains out of synch for several seconds. I can literally move into position to be staring face to face with a creature and swing 3-4 times without seeing any dice rolls, misses, or hits. It is extremely frustrating.

Also, it is possible this may be related to some sort of memory leak. It seems to get worse as I play longer, even if I have been playing the same character the entire time.
    "And you ate an apple, and I ate a pear,
    From a dozen of each we had bought somewhere;
    And the sky went wan, and the wind came cold,
    And the sun rose dripping, a bucketful of gold. " - Millay

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Does not even have to be a raid. In a 3 man group lagging so bad never saw the end of a fight. Just monsters see us, suddenly everything dead. Whatever bandwith was dedicated towards crafting superseeds any and all other actions.

What is Turbine prepared to do about the issue? No point in logging in to do a quest since even Red Willow cannot be run in under and hour anymore at level with a 3 person group.
    The Great Gnome Conspiracy was here!

Default Orien lags

I must say that thanks for trying to fix the lags.

Here are the typical lags i have:

Normaly these happend in a raid.

1. You cant move, cast or anything else. Normaly it has something to do with the connection too.
    2. You are in a big figth and you like freeze then move freeze move.
    3. Just yesterday my guild mate had some weird lag in epic von 1. he couldnt hear them, chat to them,he didnt see the guild chat and he couldn't send a tell. He was playing on a healer and could still heal them. After he tried to relog he couldn't get in cause the loading took for ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Codeshaper View Post
    What I'd like, for now, are the world you play on, the quest, the party size and composition, the time of day (with timezone, or converted to either GMT or EDT), details about what was happening when the lag hit (for example, "all the casters had just called up ice storms", or "we got up from the shrine and couldn't move"), and any other info that seems relevant. If you were chatting with other players in-game and they did or didn't see lag at the same time, that could also be useful.
    Sarlona. Any of my characters. Anywhere I log in at. I start up my client and log in with one of my characters. As soon as I enter an instance I have to wait for all the textures and stuff to load as always. Then, I can move around for a few seconds and then a long instance of “I can’t move or do anything” for 10 seconds.
    Things that if Turbine went all EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on, would actually make the game fun again.:
    • Giving us the racial PrE’s we were promised, before rolling out DDOStore™ Enhancement Trees.
    • Fixing physical defense for Rangers and Rogues. It’s ridiculous that you’re better off wearing Heavy Armor and ignoring your innate feats on these classes.
    • Cannith Crafting.
    • Update the named loot to put them on the same system.
    • Fixing the Cannith Challenges so that they can be 6 starred without incredible luck or store bought items.
    • Fixing all challenges to give us decent XP and ingredient returns for the unreasonable time we have to spend in most of them.

Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Texas - the most "MURICA!" part of 'murica! rawr

someone mentioned something off-hand in a group the other day, and i checked it and was surprised by the result, so i'll toss this bit if info out there also and see if it helps...

someone mentioned that DDO was eating ALL their memory... even with settings turned down to practically nothing. i have a gadget that shows me my current CPU/RAM usage, so i checked it, and my RAM was at the border of the red... about 80% usage. before, it used to run around 45-50% so this is a definite marked increase. this was NOT after swapping multiple characters, which i know is causing a memory leak/game crash on loading of some sort...

system in question is 2.4G AMD quad core with 4 gigs of RAM.

i hope this extra bit of info helps

the official home of LOLWUT

LONG LIVE R.O.G.U.E ! Pay2Win AND PROUD
    Q: how do you get me to instantly appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question!

Community Member

Default respond

Quote Originally Posted by Codeshaper View Post
    Hi all,

We are aware of the increased lag that has cropped up post-U9 and are looking into it. There is enough anecdotal evidence to point to a few candidates for investigation, but more info could be useful, hence this thread.

What I'd like, for now, are the world you play on, the quest, the party size and composition, the time of day (with timezone, or converted to either GMT or EDT), details about what was happening when the lag hit (for example, "all the casters had just called up ice storms", or "we got up from the shrine and couldn't move"), and any other info that seems relevant. If you were chatting with other players in-game and they did or didn't see lag at the same time, that could also be useful.

Please don't post "I'm seeing horrible lag! Fix it!" or the like. As satisfying as it might be to rant and vent, it won't help us track down the problem.

Thanks!
    i play in cannith, was worse on sunday the 22nd we canceled our guild raids because of it, we were doing epic von 1 with 6 ppl a couple ppl got booted then when they tried to log back in it wouldnt let them,time was @4pm est,past issues, spells werent landing where there suppose to or not at all, not being able to move, longest spike was @ 5 min and stop and go lag thank you hope to hear back thankyou

Last evening, Reaver Raid, Elite, Ghallanda had an interesting time. Reaver tosses everyone up in the air, we wait, and wait, and wait some more then finally drop. We hit the ground and the Reaver is still standing htere with his hand up but no one is floating. All of the players can move, there is no environmental effect, no damage, nada. Reaver starts moving (does the monster version of the player running man lag) but still nothing is happening. We wail on him, still nothing. I put in a ticket and just as the DM comes in he starts moving with a triple strength push of air eles which drove DA up to orange and almost killed us all. We finished just before the timer ran out but I saw my first failed reaver coming down the pike for a bit there

I tell the GM about it and his response is that there is no know issue like described at this time and if I feel there needs to be a bug report, to submit one. He said that it might be my PC and when I told him it was all 12 players, he asked for them to submit reports as well.

Anyone else just file a bug report and hope for a response?

Community Member

This morning 5/25 ~ 10 am I had consistent problems interacting with the bank and auction house in the marketplace.

1) I bought out an item, and nothing happened, I waited ~30 sec and bought out again, ~30 sec and again. After that all 3 amounts were removed from my inventory (even though I was buying the same thing) and I did not get the item. I was about to bug report it, then it fixed itself, I got the item, and my plat adjusted to the correct amount.

2) Later I tried to open the bank. I talked to the guy and told him to open it up, nothing opened. Tried 5 times over ~1 min, then gave up.

3) 3 times trying to run from the auction house to the bank my character stopped moving forward. I could still spin, it was like being stuck just after logging on.

I have had problems interacting with the bank on the first or second try before, but i have always gotten it to work. I have never had the other two problems before.

Edit, should probably add Sarlona and PST 10:00
    Last edited by game5551; 05-25-2011 at 02:38 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
    Also, if I go into any quest or explorer area with my TWF ranger and fight anything while I or my opponent is moving, it seems like what I see and where I am swinging are two entirely different things, and it remains out of synch for several seconds. I can literally move into position to be staring face to face with a creature and swing 3-4 times without seeing any dice rolls, misses, or hits. It is extremely frustrating.
    This.
    At first I thought i was missing, until I paid more attention and noticed I wasn't rolling at all in the combat log. I have been noticing it here and there, but latest was a Tempest Spine raid yesterday where it seemed to happen a lot.

Wednesday May 25, 2011 3:47p.m. Est
    Orien Server

Major lag in crafting hall all instances. Takes about 10 seconds for server to recognize you've pulled an item out of a bag into inventory or from inventory into crafting machine. Crafting machine takes up to 20 seconds to craft an item or shard. Players are rubber banding.

Community Member

Default rubber banding lag

Date/Time - 26th May 11:20 GMT

Server - Cannith
    Toon - Reboot Wiz 7th

Where - Tangleroot solo with Arcane Mage summon

seem to get it alot when Arcane Mage teleport to your location to catch up. also when clicking on flower collectables

*on further investigation looks like my ISP is having issues with packet loss loosing upto 10%
    Last edited by Dibler; 05-26-2011 at 06:40 AM.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast